Guilford County Schools Employee Reviews

not a good place to work
Special education teacher (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCApril 25, 2018
GCS does not care about you as a person. They only care about if you come to work and do exactly as you are told. They want you to work all the time and on weekends and it does not matter to them if you have a family or not.
Pros
supplement is higher
Cons
too many to list
They are fair in their hiring process.
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  All locationsApril 18, 2018
i would recommend Guilford county schools to anyone that looking for daytime hours. There is always work available. You might have to travel a litt further out to get work. But you do what you have to do.
Pros
they starting pay is ok.
Cons
Not enough hours ....which result in low paychecks.
Productive, Informative, Challenging
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  High Point, NCApril 15, 2018
I enjoy working for this Guilford County Schools as a substitute teacher and hope that I have the opportunity to eventually become a full time teacher.
Pros
morning shift work
Cons
not a full time posiotion
Great Company
Server (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCMarch 21, 2018
If you need a schedule to match your children schedule, working for GCS is the job for you.Like any job if you looking to move up, and you have shown and prove that you can do the job, GCS will help you move up to where you would like to go.
Pros
Great pay and great co-workers
Cons
When school out you off work too.
Great place for growth and development.
Elementary School Teacher (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCMarch 13, 2018
Guilford county schools is a great place for a family looking for their child to receive an 21st century education with teacher who are vested into the whole child education an mental development.
Pros
great leadership
Cons
long work days.
Guilford county
watch over and assist (Current Employee) –  Greensboro,NcMarch 8, 2018
A typical day at an elementary is very high paste. The kids are a lot of fun and over the time of being here, you'll learn the schools routine and what's expected to be done.
Pros
You basically make your own schedule
Cons
Healthcare benefits are not that helpful
Love what I do and wouldn't change it
Exceptional Children's Teacher Assistant 6-8 (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCFebruary 28, 2018
Love the hands on experience with the children. Talking to them and having build report with them to feel they have someone to talk to and help them. The staff and co workers are major team players and are the glue to holding things together.
Rude Kids
Substitute Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCFebruary 25, 2018
Too many responsibilities with low pay. Driving the bus and having to deal with traffic within the city is enough with out having the loud, screaming kids in the background.
Sub
Sub-Contractor (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCFebruary 17, 2018
All day interaction with kids can be very competive but you have to be open and aware of everything. Be kind and nuetural with the school children. Always have positive energy and and demanded attitude. Make sure workplace culture is clean and hazardous.
N/a
Acting as community liaison (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCFebruary 13, 2018
GCS was one of the nicest olace I had ever work for in life.The reason I mentioned one the nicest place to work is that, it’s a place where you can have a chance to help little kne( small kids) to begin thei learning process in their life as the first step and that makes me great to be there. Some of the hardest part would be like getting keep in touch with parents of the kids due to lack of knowledge .They as parents didn’t know how much important is for their kids education here in the USA.
Pros
Sometime
Cons
Short breaks
ACES Group leader for Guilford County Schools
ACES Group Leader (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCFebruary 11, 2018
My typical day at work includes a number of children that I'm responsible for, I have to make sure they are safe and in a fun environment. I have learned that while dealing with children you have to learn the ins and outs of them know what you can and cant say ad also know how to deal with the different personalities at once. At my particular school the manager is new and we're not getting along so well, for some reason she has been trying to get me out of the door since i got back off of maternity leave. I have been getting write up after write up because of what she is saying that I'm doing and what she is saying I'm saying which are not true statements at all. She has a personal issue with me that I have no clue about and has had this issue since I've been back. The workplace culture is great I love the other group leaders they bring joy to the place and make it fun. The hardest part of the job is not the children its the management. The children are the most enjoyable part of the job. I love every second of the day with the children even the ones I have a difficult time with. Eventually the difficult ones give in and have a good time with everyone else.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCFebruary 8, 2018
The students of Guilford County are great. The leadership tries hard to do what is right for students eventhough they get it wrong sometimes. Most teachers ensure that they leave enough work for the students.
good place to work for
School Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCFebruary 7, 2018
GCS is a good place to work for....while working at GCS i was able to make great friends and establish a working environment that was pleasing to me. I would like to have better health insurance and career advancement
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCFebruary 4, 2018
Guilford County Schools have been my career for 13 years. I have seen them take many different and mostly wrong approaches with the way they pay, and deal with their employees.
Education
8th Grade Science Teacher - Allen Middle School (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCFebruary 2, 2018
Education is becoming tough for new and veteran teachers to endure, due to the constant change of strategies and instruction. This is a result of the change of government administration.
Typical Day As a Sub
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJanuary 31, 2018
A typical substitute day consists of checking into hotline to accept open jobs for the day. Arriving at the assigned school in the hustle and bustle of morning drop offs and commutes, and quickly identifying the appropriate persons to check in. After notifying the school of my arrival, I am briefed on the class or group of children I will be providing coverage to, as well as receive and review lessons plans and safety with the school. Immediately following, I am introduced to my assigned class. Sometimes that class is a class that I have had before and there is an established rapport or its a new class where introductions are needed and a rapport has to be built. Either way, I have learned the importance of being prepared as much as can be but always remain flexible and approachable as managing others or teaching them can be challenging to the plan. However, the end goal still has to be met regardless of challenges which requires time management and organization. Each school has its own culture and ways about them, making this the hardest part of the job as you have to quickly adapt but find the balance of being sound in who you are and the ethics you bring to the position despite the changes in brick and mortar. The most enjoyable part about the job are the children. The is fulfillment and joy in witnessing a child's worldview expand and knowing you have some small part in the beauty.
Pros
flexibility, free lunch, different atmospheres
Cons
inconsistent hours
Authoritative type culture
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Stokesdale, NCJanuary 30, 2018
Minimal genuine appreciative communication for its educators. Promotions awarded according to certain connections. Teacher autonomy/creativity is stifled. "Dog and Pony" exhibitions rather than sincere empathy.
Can be rewarding but also overwhelming at times.
Office Support III (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJanuary 18, 2018
Very fast paced and a lot of responsibilities. Priority management is required as well as great customer service. This job is rewarding due to the people you get to help but there is a lack of knowledge as to what the office support personnel is expected to do on a daily basis.
Pros
Great benfits
Cons
Large employee turnaround.
Ok Job
Office Support- Peck Elementary (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJanuary 17, 2018
Any discussion of why working in a school setting is so great must begin with the schedule! Most school systems are operating on a nine-month annual schedule, and for the most part, school nurses and therapist have the opportunity to mirror the education schedule.
Pros
good job
Cons
another great place to work at
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJanuary 17, 2018
i really enjoyed working for the school system and the reason why i left is because my family need me at the time gotten sick and the hours were terrible 12-8:30pm so i needed to find another job to have day time hours for them to be ok