Guitar Center Employee Reviews

Bittersweet
Primary Shipping Associate (Former Employee) –  North Kansas City, MOOctober 19, 2018
If you work overnights on B-shift, you WILL not have much of a social life! Regardless of your shift, you're on your feet the entire day. Eventually, you WILL experience pain in your feet, legs, knees, back, and sometimes other parts of your body like your hands.

There really isn't much teamwork as it's emphasized verbally.
Some people will watch you lift an item that takes two people's efforts. Some will see an immediate need but will go and do something else to avoid having to actually work.
Not everything you do will be calculated or seen on the charts. This affects your performance ratings.

Management of the overall company needs work. Lots of miscommunication. The policies are terrible!
If you have small children that are toddlers or are in elementary school, you may want to reconsider as their FMLA policy differs entirely from that of traditional FMLA with other companies.
You're only given a certain amount of sick leave, and that is usually without pay.
If there's inclement weather or you experience an unexpected family emergency, they'll still penalize you for it, which will affect your attendance and ultimately cost you your employment.
It's why I no longer work there.

Overall, there are far more negatives than positives, which is why they have an extremely high turnover rate. Many of the top employees all left around the same time for this very reason.
They do not make their employees feel valued, so a lot of us sought better opportunities elsewhere.

However, I WILL say that I had an excellent manager on B-shift (wish I could mention his name
  more... because he was awesome)! He had a great personality, always encouraged us, made sure that the other executives recognized our efforts, and he did his best to try to show us that he was there to work alongside us (cause he used to be in our positions).  less
Pros
Peak season wage increases and the playing of music as you work.
Cons
Overnight shift, miscommunication, terrible policies for FMLA and sick-leave as well as inclement weather
A total retail joke
Pro Audio Associate (Former Employee) –  Nashua, NHOctober 17, 2018
Store is run by teenagers with no passion for doing anything properly or follow rules. Rude co-workers and horrible management. Inventory not complete. Many products were old and didn't work.
Best job I ever Had.
Lead Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXOctober 16, 2018
You read that right. This was the best job I ever got to enjoy for 11 years. I met some of the best people in my life there. Customers, employees, even celebrities. It's one of those jobs that you look forward to going to. I would definitely go back if upper management compensated their lower management a little bit better.
Pros
Music everyday. Fun.
Cons
Management not compensated appropriately.
Chill Place
Operations Associate/Shipping and Receiving (Former Employee) –  Emeryville, CAOctober 12, 2018
Was a pretty chill place to work. Bosses were laid back. Didn't have a bad experience there. Employees were cool. Great discounts. I quit it was too far of a commute but Id reccomend for anyone who needs a job.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Retail
Culture is great
Inventory Allocator (Current Employee) –  Westlake Village, CAOctober 11, 2018
The culture at Guitar center is amazing. Some managers are very understanding, but sometimes put unrealistic expectations. You work in a fast paced environment because of the market.
Cons
paid time off is separated
Bring Your Life-Jacket for the Sinking Ship
Assistant Category Manager (Current Employee) –  Westlake Village, CAOctober 9, 2018
I've been here nearly 2 years, and my purchasing knowledge is imperfect, inaccurate, and obsolete.

I regret having come here to learn a new skill set, I have mostly useless knowledge that can't get me another buying job, and the salary range for buying here is about 40% lower than just about any other corporate / government entity.

Please keep looking, or make sure you have a life-jacket with you when you arrive.
Great camaraderie, terrible corporate management.
retail sales/customer service manager (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKOctober 8, 2018
The best thing about working at GC was always the discount and the like-minded individuals you worked with. Bain Capital is nothing but a corporate cash monster and they will churn you out if it will turn them a profit, just look at toys r' us.
An okay place to work
PSI (PREMIUM STRINGED INSTRUMENTS) ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 7, 2018
I enjoy working with musical instruments and applying my knowledge to help people make music. The opportunity to work with high quality guitars is especially interesting to me as I play guitar in my free time and I appreciate the craftsmanship and seeing and working with these beautiful instruments. The pay and benefits leave much to be desired and are the main reason I wish to find something else.
Pros
work that genuinely interests me, good hours
Cons
low pay, low quality benefits
Great opportunities. Good culture. Long hours.
Inventory (Former Employee) –  Westlake, CAOctober 2, 2018
Great opportunities. Good culture. Long hours. A good experience all around and can't complain for the time spent there. There are a lot of great people trying to make something of a declining business model.
Don't care about their employees
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  TexasOctober 1, 2018
Terrible place to work you're constantly being threatened with your job pay sucks commission structure is a joke leadership is a joke that used to be a company by musicians for musicians now it's just a guitar Walmart been here for 10 years still making starting pay never been promoted then offered promotions with no extra pay
Pros
No Pros
Cons
Bad pay bad schedules bad leadership
Unrealistic sales goals
Sales (Former Employee) –  Orange, CTSeptember 30, 2018
Hard to meet the sales quota to make more money when I worked there. Not sure about todays policies but I would stay away for life based on what happened to me there.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Benefits, pay is low, micromanagement on the upper levels of management, highly political enviornment
A laid back place to work at but lots of changes needed
Sales associate, Lead Sales Customer associate (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 29, 2018
A decent company to work for. I wish they paid better. In some cases, associates earned more than managers while having much less responsibility. This was a huge issue in my opinion and something that needed to be addressed.

Nevertheless, I valued my time there and met some great people along the way. I hope the company continues to grow and become better
A lot of music.
Sales And Operations (Current Employee) –  Canton, MISeptember 27, 2018
Not a complicated job. Everyday is based around sales and keeping the store organized and ready. Holidays are busy, and it can be interesting. Some days are harder than others.
Pros
Hour lunches, and employee discount.
Cons
Not good for a long term job.
You get to work with people passionate about music as well!
CUSTOMER SERVICE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOSeptember 27, 2018
I loved working at Guitar Center! My sales team were incredible customer focused people. In store management was easy to work with. Our regular customers always made up for some of the grouchy ones.
Pros
Newest music gear, fun, easy
Cons
low pay
Helping people make music
Guitar Sales (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCSeptember 24, 2018
I loved working at guitar center. I enjoyed helping people being able to find a good quality instrument, and one that they can use for longer than a month. I surpassed my sales goals, and at one point was the rookie, and was 3rd in the store for sales.
Pros
was able to request time off for shows, great discounts.
Cons
Base was minimum wage, unstable pay
Eh Management and Corporate Will make you feel REPLACEABLE
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Paramus, NJSeptember 23, 2018
If you could work anywhere else please do. it's not worth the money and the stress management puts on you. unrealistic goals and strict management. commission is good but only if you do really well in sales per hour.
Friendly and good teamwork, fun workplace to learn.
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Laredo, TXSeptember 17, 2018
There is always positive attitude, always a good talked with co-workers, management always assist and around, when employees needed help, there were only tge holidays that got harder to complete job assessment for the high demand of customers traffic.
informative and fun workplace
Pro Audio Salesman (Former Employee) –  Orange, CTSeptember 17, 2018
working at guitar center gave me the opportunity to work on my networking and communication skills when it came to either selling or working with a customer, management was always helpful in time of need which made it assuring things can get done, hardest challenges working at guitar center would be hitting the preferred commission percentage with the amount of hours put in however the most enjoyable part of working there was the attitude the other co workers had there along with the atmosphere of the store and being able to talk about trending music topics or equipment
Pros
Music Culture
Cons
commission
A Stepping Stone
Customer Service Manager/Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VASeptember 13, 2018
This job taught me management skills I will always keep and really taught me responsibility when no one else is watching. I think I can take some of the hardships from this position and turn them into wisdom in my next role.
Pros
Guitars were everywhere!
Cons
Management is not forward thinking.
Exec Ast to the President & Exec Mgmt Team (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDSeptember 8, 2018
Based in California the corporate office is extremely disconnected from the other offices, but intent on managing from afar. Local management does not support its employees or pay a living, competitive wages.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Guitar Center. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.0InHerSight Score

2.0Personal Development

2.1Career Opportunities

2.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight