Guitar Center Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
A great workplace for young adults
Operations Lead (Current Employee) –  RockvilJuly 15, 2018
Young adults into music can benefit from working at Guitar Center. If you are a musician working here can help you learn more about different instruments and what would work best for you as a musician.
Pros
A great atmosphere to work
Cons
Pay is less than desireable.
Sinking company with no clear direction
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 12, 2018
To work at Guitar Center starts out great. What musician wouldn't love to share their passion with others and sell them the gear to enjoy making music? Wrong. It's a cutthroat money grab where bottom line comes second to getting customers into the gear they can afford and need.
Ok for high commission sales associates
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 11, 2018
The opportunity to be around music when you are a musician is a great thing. My coworkers were awesome. The only people who make enough money are high selling sales associates and the store manager. The higher ups are clueless and prioritize short term profits over the well being of customers and employees. Ok place for a while if you can make decent money, but there is not much of a career path unless you want to manage the store.
Pros
Being around music all day every day
Cons
The tedious retail nature of the job and the general vibe from management
Good starter job
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Medford, ORJuly 11, 2018
You don't have to be a genius to work here. In fact, most of the time the employees don't know what they're talking about in the first place. Good if you've never worked retail. Horrible if you want a real career.
Terrible Management
Operations Associate (Former Employee) –  Brea, CAJuly 10, 2018
It doesn’t matter how good you are at your job, if the manager doesn’t like you then they will make sure working there is a terrible experience for you.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
No breaks, poor management
Love it
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCJuly 5, 2018
Obviously if you love music, then you'll love working here. The are willing to work with your schedule. Especially if your a musician. You also have the opportunity to move up to higher positions, if you work hard enough. It's fairly easy to work there. The hardest part is trying to remember all the different passwords.
Alright if you need money
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Springdale, OHJuly 1, 2018
Management was very poor but strict with sales goals. Also had to fade against your pay while on the clock depending on how much you sold for the day.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Poor management and pay scale
Fun fast paced environment with friends.
Operations Associate (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 30, 2018
I would definitely recommend Guitar Center as a place of work, the managers are great, the customers are great, and the discount is massive. Great place to work in Harbison, everything is right there. The only con would be heights, if you are scared of being 10 ft or more off of the ground then this is not the job for you, you do get over it pretty quickly though.
Pros
Cheap food near you, Friendly staff, Get to work with hands.
Cons
Heights.
I love my job and the people I work with- College Station, Texas
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  College Station, TXJune 28, 2018
I love my job. From day one it has been a blessing and a privilege to work for this company. My General manager is one of the most sincere humans I’ve ever met. He has had one on one conversations with me about how I can improve and move up in the company.
My CSM is a true leader and seriously cares about his employees. The employees at GC college station reflect who our management is and what we believe in. Love love love my job!
Pros
Life experience, customer experience and opportunity to excel in the company.
Cons
Balancing work and school!
Fun workplace with other musicians
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  TennesseeJune 27, 2018
Fantastic place to work with likeminded co workers and musicians. Fun interacting with customers and helping them on a daily basis. Wish this company compensated their workers better.
Pros
Being surrounded by a musical environment
Cons
Salary
Low pay
Manager of Accessories Department (Former Employee) –  Roseville, MNJune 25, 2018
It is very hard to make a living wage working for Guitar Center. This is not a career job but rather one for someone who is new to the job market. .
Where musicians come to perish
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 24, 2018
This role seemed promising at first, “competitive pay” really means having to fight tooth and nail with your own peers to get by and not being compensated for relevant experience. You only recieve commissions if your customers are convinced into adding on “replacement services.” Additionally this company rarely lifts a finger to process those claims for customers. I usually have to beg for my breaks while people stand around slandering each other. Working here is honestly like trying to squeeze blood out of a turnip. Guitar Center: where washed up musicians and audiophiles come to die.
Pros
Amazing discounts
Cons
slander, harassment, unlawfully few breaks.
Fun place to work as a Musician!
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Winter Park, FLJune 22, 2018
Organizationally, this Company needs some serious help. But over all, I really enjoyed my time here. The pay is not great but the job is a lot of fun and you get to meet a lot of fun people.
Fine job environment.
Inbound Sales/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Draper, UTJune 22, 2018
This job was fine. Just to demanding in the sales department for the poor commision structure. I was one of their best salesmen though. Nothing else to say.
If you don't need gear, it's not worth working here.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 21, 2018
The job isn't particularly terrible in and of itself, but it is the retail industry which comes with a certain negativity. The pay is terrible for the level of work expected from you and the commission scale is a joke. Basically, you get a percentage of your monthly sales. The percentage you receive is determined by your sales per hour. I work at one of the biggest stores in the company and honestly there are a few people that make a lot of money off of commission. On average I would say most people make about $100 extra a month, although I've seen people get up to a few thousand a month - I wouldn't bank on that though, especially if you're working at a smaller store. The only reason I've stayed here so long is because of the discount. I've save over $1000 on gear just from working here. The only problem is you won't be able to afford to use your discount with the income of this job alone. Work here part-time to make a little extra pocket change and save a ton of money on gear, don't let this be your primary job.
Pros
Discounts, Talking about music all day
Cons
Pay, Sketchy commission layout, Customers can be annoying
An unhealthy company constantly pressuring and micromanaging underpaid employees
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Braintree, MAJune 20, 2018
If you're smart you'll apply as a part-time sales associate so you can reap the benefits of a (possible) discount on a desired piece of gear while standing around your register all day dodging any obligation to maintain the sales floor or provide timely service.
Apply for an operations/warehouse role and you're basically going to be told to run the entire store, man-handle about 87 new wildly bright and physically taxing ideas the district or regional managers (and their bosses) have for your store that they bother checking up on at about once or twice a year, all at 6 a.m. for minimum wage -- only to receive complaints from them that your actual priorities are not getting done fast enough, all because they wanted you to go around and test all the guitars for E. Coli or something stupid like that (not literally). They do not care if your spine collapses before the sun rises for a wee $11 / hr.
Pros
Discounts on gear
Cons
Awful wages, No room to grow, Raises are a hassle, Management does not care, Disorganized priorities and communication in the company
productive fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZJune 20, 2018
great environment to work with lots of room to grow with benefits providing the best customer service possible I recommend going in taking a look at all the latest gear
Worst Company to Work for in KCMO Area
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 15, 2018
I have never in my life worked for a company as awful as the Guitar Center Distribution Center in Kansas City, MO. Every day it seems to get worse and worse. I know several people that I've worked with over the past 4 years that have left or are leaving as soon as they can. The turnover rate is about 10 for every 3 people hired because as soon as you're hired, management shows their true colors and runs off any decent person that walks through the door.
As soon as you clock in for the day, you are treated as if you are a toddler at a daycare. As an employee you are treated like you are the scum on the bottom of the managements shoes. They toss you around like rag dolls and even if you hit their unreasonable goals, you are still told its not good enough and never thanked for the incredible amount of work you do as a single employee/department.
I've worked here for four years and each year I have received a pay increase of 15 CENTS!! Yes, you read that correctly. I also received the highest ratings for my yearly review (attitude, numbers, attendance, etc.) and still received less and less each year.
I would not recommend this place to anyone that wants to feel appreciated or values recognition for outstanding work.
I have never worked under management as selfish and rude and the people they have hired in this building.
I could literally go on and on about the unfair treatment I have witnessed and experienced as an employee, but hopefully this small description will deter anyone from applying to work here.
0/10 would not recommend to my worst enemy.
It's a job
Pro Audio Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 14, 2018
It is like any other retail job. There are certain quotas you have to hit every month, and the training is lackluster at best. Management is good. They are all great guys that are willing to help, and if you help yourself they will help you. There are just some issues with how it is all set up to run.
Tread lightly, ye who enter here...
Operations Associate (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJune 13, 2018
Your work experience at Guitar Center will vary greatly depending on which location you're at, as well as the management at that particular branch.

When I first started, it was a great place to work! I was trained well and given opportunity to advance very quickly, and was compensated well for my continued growth and achievement. I felt like my managers supported me and provided what I needed to do my job with excellence.

I was promoted after less than a year, then promoted again, and I felt my work was valued and appreciated.

Then, after 2 or 3 years, the tide seemed to change. My work load continued to increase, my hours continued to be cut, and the resources I needed to do my job and fulfill expectations with excellence were no longer provided to me. Respect from my managers seemed to dissolve, as expectations became more unreasonable and arbitrary.

I continued to work hard, focused on doing the best with what I was given, but after over 5 years with Guitar Center, I was dismissed with no notice, and no explanation.

Unfortunately, Guitar Center is a large retail organization that is struggling greatly to catch up and keep up in a modern retail environment that is changing dramatically due to the growth of online retail, and the pressure is felt all the way down through the ranks. Unless things change significantly at an organizational and leadership level, Guitar Center may not be around much longer.
Pros
Getting to work around music and musicians
Cons
Very little flexibility, extremely high expectations, fickle management.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Guitar Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.5Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss