Gulf Winds Federal Credit Union Employee Reviews

Responsibilities outweigh benefits
Teller (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLFebruary 6, 2018
Gulf Winds has a lot of friendly employees. However, you are asked to perform in a fast-paced environment due to short staff. Due to short staff, you are sometimes given responsibilities outside of your job role and are not compensated fairly for this.
Pros
Friendly atmosphere. Flexible lunches.
Cons
Extra responsibilities. Non-competitive wages.
Terrible. Poor management
Head Teller (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLDecember 17, 2017
Working for GWFCU was like working for a high school organization. Everything was built on who you knew and how well you was liked. They "black list" list their employees based off features that has nothing to do with their work ethic or their contributes to the company. They will make situations happen for people to edge them out the door on basis of being fired.
Good place
Teller (Current Employee) –  Brewton, ALAugust 24, 2017
Great wages and benefits. Lots of activities going on for employees to enjoy. Nice time off. Good PTO program. Lots of opportunities to explore in one place.
Productive and great place to work
Teller (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLAugust 16, 2017
Gulf Winds is a great experience to have worked for the company is well managed. Everyone is professional and fun to work with. They make coming to work a joy.
Amazing place to work!!!
Teller (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLJune 17, 2017
Its a home away from home. Your peers become like family and the members make your day worth while. Advancement opportunities are endless if you put in the work.
Awesome
Marketing Analysis (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLMay 8, 2017
Gukf Winds is a very awesome place to work. The compensation is reasonable but overall the company takes care of their employees. I would recommend someone working for them.
VP of Lending (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLApril 10, 2017
GWFCU is a fast paced work environment that offers advancement opportunities. It has a good sales culture and is focused on serving its members. Providing excellent service has been the credit union's core value as long as I have been there.
was good environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLNovember 4, 2016
always busy, always something to do
learned a lot from certain managers
enjoyed the coworkers
conditions were good , love to ability to apply for different positions
Pros
good benefits
Cons
too many managers under one department
Fun and Loving Work Environment
Financial Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLApril 19, 2016
Very high sales based company. But if you have the juice it is a great company to work for! Compensation is good and co-workers are the best!
Member Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Pensacola FL 32534June 1, 2015
The employees make it a great place to work! Surrounded by awesome leaders and co-workers. You come in to work with high energy all around and leave feeling accomplished knowing you helped so many members through out the day.
Great environment and conductive to learning new things
Network systems support (Former Employee) –  Pensacola FLMay 19, 2015
The environment was very productive from an IT point of view and learning new systems such as Blade setups. All of my coworkers were friendly and we were all able to share our ideas.
Nice Hours - Could Pay Better, though
Financial Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLFebruary 2, 2015
So as an FSR, you are responsible for opening new member accounts, and generating revenue for the Credit Union. This is comprised of selling the Credit Unions line of products (credit cards, debit cards, IRA's, CD's, Auto Loans, Extended Warranties, GAP Insurance, Checking Accounts, Mortgages, and Financial Advising through Raymond James). It's not a hard job in the slightest if you're comfortable talking to people about their money. If cold calling or talking to someone about their finances makes you uncomfortable, then don't apply. But the pay was $16.50 per hour with bonuses each month for selling certain products. I imagine that the MOST a successful FSR can make in a year is probably around $45,000 -$50,000 per year, if you're REALLY busting out the sales. I would guess that the average FSR in Tallahassee (where there's not much market penetration yet -- Gulf Winds is centered in Pensacola, FL where they are better known) probably makes around $35,000 - $42,000 per year when it's all said and done.

Unfortunately I was let go within my 90 day new hire probationary period. The reason I was told for my dismissal was because I was not a "good fit," and I disagree. But an employer can dismiss you for any reason they want to within that 90 probationary period, and so it goes.

To expound on this, I was told that I was not a good fit because of 2 things. One was due to me giving my vault code to the vault repair guy verbally, instead of writing it down and handing him the piece of paper with the combination on it. By doing this verbally, I compromised asset
  more... security within the credit union, and I was reported to my boss by a teller. Kind of sucks since most new employees who have never worked in an actual bank before would probably tell the repair guy the code too if he asked for it, instead of writing it down.

The second thing that happened occurred when I was behind the Teller Line assisting the Tellers during a busy moment, and I simply opened and closed one of their cash drawers. I didn't steal anything, and I didn't leave it open longer than 30 seconds. Apparently that's a "no-no" too that I just wan't aware of.

Anyway...I wasn't giving a warning, I wasn't reprimanded, I was simply dismissed saying that I wasn't a good fit. And when I asked my boss why, the above reasons are what I was told. Also...for those of you reading this, I'm not one of those bitter people that bashes their former employer for firing them...but I am trying to give you all a SERIOUS insight to my tenure with Gulf Winds. I made a couple of rookie mistakes that probably anyone could have made, and I was fired for it. This is the first time in my entire adult life that I've ever been fired from a job, and it's humiliating. So just be aware, and be a better employee than I was and you should do fine.
Pros
Paid Holidays, good working environment, good hours, nice people that work there
Cons
Not much job security, incentive pay is low, hourly wage is low
Fantastic Company Culture
Recruiting Intern (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLDecember 18, 2014
People are often confused when I tell them that I cannot wait to get back to work. Working at Gulf Winds grants me the ability to be creative, enjoy flexible hours, and participate in the many company sponsored events. I am proud to be a part of Gulf Winds.
Teller (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLOctober 9, 2013
Gulf Winds was a great place to work. Everyone was very friendly and really cared about the members.
Productive and fun workplace
Head Teller (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLMarch 3, 2013
I enjoy working here but I am ready to advance my career. Each day I handle cash, customer service issues, answer phones, and all sorts of other related issues. I love to help people and get along very well with my co workers. The hardest part of the job is deciding on check holds. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping others with their financial needs.
GWFCU great!
Member Service/Financial Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLMarch 1, 2013
GWFCU is a great financial institution in the community! Working for them really helped me grow as a professional.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gulf Winds Federal Credit Union. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

1.8Personal Development

2.0Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Gulf Winds Federal Credit Union Reviews by Location