Gun Lake Casino

Gun Lake Casino Employee Reviews

United States159 reviews

High Stress, Floating Pay, Questionable Managment

Co-workers are very nice, but as a Table Games Dealer, 'Job Security' is, at best, a bad joke.Floor Supervisors are usually very good but anyone above that can be... questionable.Overall, the company's not bad to work for, but be prepared for long days on your feet with management demanding High Level Service while providing Average Pay and maybe Above Average benefits.

Busy work days

Busy work days. Some guests are friendly, some are a pain in the butt due to loosing money in gaming floor. Management was great and understanding. Loved working there.

Gun Lake Casino insights

Areas for improvement
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Constantly Changing Environment, and never on the same Page...

Gun lake Casino is Constantly Changing Rules and policies. Giving Each Department opportunity to Change the Policies to fit the Department how they see fit, making it hard for Employees to keep up. They say Gun lake Casino is Competitive pay but it is not! Usually $2.50 below starting wage for Skilled Employees.The communication here is Horrible with current technology. we should all be on the same page.

Pros

Free Insurance for full time employees, free meals, paid Breaks if you get one

Cons

Under staffed, under paid

Simple work with team members that watch out for one another.

Get to work and wait with your shift coworkers and go through any information with the supervisors before going to the casino floor. A typical day involves patrolling the floor, helping guests, escorting various team members to different locations and guarding each entrance to the casino.

Fun place to work but is a very stressful environment

It was a fun place to work but very very stressful. Some management is great, while other management is horrible, really just depends what restaurant you end up in.

Paid breaks! Health benefits are second to none.

Very rewarding in most regards, the culture is taught from the start of employment. They will treat you VERY well, as long as you have a work ethic that is loyal to your duty with GLC. Are they perfect? No company is. But if you want to work with great benefits, GLC is good.

Pros

Benifits

Cons

HR can sometimes be hard to reach.

Stay away from beverage department

My experience working in the beverage department (bartending) was an absolute nightmare. No organization, no management, no training, no oversight and absolutely no accountability for any of the supervisors or managers. HR even lied through their teeth through the whole interview process about how well run everything is in the bev department. Every other part of the casino seemed to be like a well oiled machine so it was embarrassing to even be seen as part of the bev ‘team’.

Pros

Free food on breaks.

Cons

Almost everything else.

Awful place to work

If you aren’t amongst those who tattle on team members and are there just to do the job, this isn’t the place for you. It’s extremely cliquey, and if you don’t get on managements good side quickly, they’ll turn your team members against you.It’s also difficult to professionally grow with the company since there’s so many internal applicants applying for the same position, and Tribal members have preferential treatment over the other applicants.Don’t apply if you have a disability. HR is terrible and they will not accommodate you since it’s tribal land. As soon as you disclose this, they will do everything in their power to find a way to terminate you.

Great place great benefits great people

Good place great people to work with really easy and smiley people and food was good and free everything benefit was amazing I would recommend work with gun lake casino if you not mind to work weekends.

Used to be an ok place to work

Worked here for about 2 years as a baker. Work was hard and management never listened when we asked to slim down the menu variety a bit and to bring on more team members. The final straw was the apathy I was given when I reported abuse from a coworker. They had seniority over me by several years, so they listened as I repeatedly told them how bad it was, but they refused to do anything about it. Left with like 4 days notice but honestly they deserved less.

Pros

Buffet style break room, benefits were ok

Cons

Toxic and abusive coworkers, apathetic management

Centered around over turn

They can’t keep anyone in any departments. It’s childish, drama filled days and management doesn’t care and allow it to happen even get involved. If you bring up a concern with anyone they will just tell you it’s hearsay and can’t do anything. If you go to HR you get pulled into the office and yelled at for going to HR.

Mischief Managed...

We are what I call the house of the square pegs... you either love it here or you leave.. Hands down being a dealer at gunlight casino casino has been the best job I've ever had. The tribe really cares about us.

Pros

Great pay in amazing benefits

Cons

24 hour operation

Fun work place

I’m part time and that works well for me.. I think it’s a great place to work.. free meal, great benefits, fun place to work. Very clean opportunity to grow.. I work on the count team and work closely with team members. I leave with a great attitude.

Pros

Free meal

Cons

I have no cons

Run, don’t walk away from this place.

Specific to the Admin work environment:Horrible “work ‘em till they drop” culture. Ineffective management at every level that is completely disconnected from reality in terms of manageable workload. 10-12 hour days are the norm. You’re going to be working holidays too.

Pros

No fun casino!

Paychecks

If you call them and let them know that that your ride to work hit a deer but you are still coming in and then show them proof you will be fired for improper calling in and you will not get rehired back in even though you volunteered to work coworkers who had Covid and worked there through both State Shutdowns

Pros

Coworkers, paychecks

Cons

Management, communication, point system

Long days and stressful

The tribe is absolutely amazing to work for. They take care of hourly team members. Upper management needs work. You can't trust them. It's a lot of long days and being stressed. Constantly short staffed. No work life balance.

Pros

The tribe, benefits

Cons

Upper management, communication, long day's

I enjoyed my time.

I miss working here at times. Management though needs improvement. They were not always the easiest to go to with concerns or questions. There was also a lack of consistency between pits.

Pros

Free Lunches

Cons

If you need workman's comp they act like it is coming from their personal pockets.

It's a job...can be fun...depends on the customer's...

You have plenty of personal days earned...however you can't use them on blackout days and they usually black out most weekends and holidays...but when they are slow they will send you home...but by then your plans are ruined...not to mention the odd hours of shifts...11-7....7-3...3-11...

Pros

Free dinners

Cons

Work/life

Overall lack of productivity, too much gossip, zero focus on unbiased management.

Overall if you'd like friends with benefits GLC is your place to work. If you want management who fairly review and monitor justly, not at all. Hard work is rarely rewarded and coworkers enjoy taking long breaks, gossip, rumors and casual drug use. Management enjoys rumor spreading, rewards being friends with them and not hard work. I cannot stress enough how little hard work is noticed. It's a great company when it comes to pay and benefits but the work environment is incredibly toxic and will crush your morale faster than you can say gamble. I worked there for a year and a half and was held back by lies and rumors more than I could ever imagine anywhere else. Always on time, never taking days off, never complaining about working, working harder than 90% of the other employees. The only people getting promoted are the ones who fraternize with management. All that I need to say.

Pros

Great benefits and pay

Cons

Toxic work environment

Supervisors and job coaches don't care

Supervisors could careless about you. Job coaches don't train you and rush you through.they state they will work with you big lie. You are just a warm body nothing else. Stay away

Pros

Free food

Cons

On your feet alot

Fast paced, can be stressful, but can also be rewarding

GLC is a descent company to work for. I believe the tribe tries to treat employees good. Upper management needs to be involved more than they are, you only see them when large events are happening during the day. They need to recognize and reward all employees who go above and beyond their normal duties, not just the ones who are favored by managers.

Pros

Free health insurance, paid breaks, free shift meal

Cons

Commumication issues between departments and shifts.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gun Lake Casino. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.0 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits