Gundersen Health System Employee Reviews

good
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  La Crosse, WIMay 19, 2019
This is a fun and professional place to work. Would recommend to all looking for careers in the health field, and any other carrier they offer. Thank you.
Poor managment; toxic environment
Coordinator of Volunteers (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WIApril 18, 2019
Enjoyed my job responsibilities; extremely poor management; toxic environment. Management would target individuals and allow co-workers to bully and disrespect each other. Management is inconsistent with employee expectations (would enforce with certain employees but not others)
Productive great place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WIApril 17, 2019
Gundersen Health Systems was a fast paced, fun place to work!! I made many lasting friendships. Typically I worked 730-4pm. I highly recommend this place.
Pros
Wonderful advances
Cons
Stressful at times.
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Onalaska, WIMarch 15, 2019
I learned to coordinate with people and get tasks done. A typical day at work was good. Once you learn how to clean properly, everything goes smoothly.
Pros
Manager is helpful
Cons
Low Salary
Hostile work environment in nearly all departments
Otolaryngology clinical and surgical nurse (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WIMarch 15, 2019
Management was under educated to be directing nurses and MDs. Not only was several people within the same department get wrongfully terminated within the same month and for personal vendettas.
Pros
Interesting work
Cons
Hostile work environment that management engages in
Descent place to work. Better than my previous employer.
Dietary Aide (Current Employee) –  La Crosse, WIFebruary 21, 2019
For the most part I enjoy working at GHS. As with pretty much anywhere there are co-workers that feel they don't need to do their share of work and therefore that leaves the rest of the work for those of us that will do it.

There is a lack of staff provided by the higher ups which make it very difficult to do our job properly and sufficiently for the customers.

How ever so far they have been compasionate to my personal needs as far as injuries are concerned.
Pros
Gundersen has a good professional feel about within.
Cons
More FTEs are needed
Hospital Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  La Crosse, WIJanuary 30, 2019
Nice working environment. They have an excellent corp culture. I enjoyed working there. I left the job due to relocation.

They also give you a relatively good bonus every year base on the company's performance.
Extremely rewarding place to work
Revenue Cycle Specialist (Current Employee) –  La Crosse, WIJanuary 6, 2019
In the area that I work everyone is very respectful to one another no drama or gossip. My managers are very respectful and help anyway that they can. They don't micro manage and the flexible hours really make all of us want to work harder! Love this job
Pros
Great atmosphere, managers are great
Cons
Nothing love my job
Secure Hospital Positions
Health Unit Coordinator (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WIJanuary 1, 2019
Working at a hospital is a fast paced job. You may either be on your feet a lot, a lot of lifting or bending, could work longer hours than scheduled or pick up extra hours. My department seemed to have a lot of call ins for my position. The only thing I did not like was we were all separate, nurses, HUC's, doctors as a team.
Pros
Good pay and benefits, flexible schedule, room for advancement
Cons
A lot of part-time positions, hard to get in to GHS.
Fast paced with room for career advancement
Patient Liaison (Former Employee) –  Viroqua, WIDecember 5, 2018
Working in a regional clinic was challenging because it often felt so isolated from the main clinics in La Crosse and Onalaska. Training opportunities were more limited and often took place during the work day while patients were checking in and out. I struggled to connect with my immediate coworkers. Our manager was a good person and tried to put family first, but she was largely absent from my day to day life. I felt like she did little to encourage continuing education for office staff.

GHS overall takes great care of its employees. The pay and benefits for an office position were excellent, and there was plenty of opportunity to advance within the company. If I hadn't moved out of state, I would still be there.
Great environment
Finance Director (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WIDecember 4, 2018
Great company to work for, values the employyee and recognizes work life balance. OUtstanding benefits in this day and age. Great team environment for all.
If you’re a physician, your experience may be better
NP (Former Employee) –  WisconsinDecember 2, 2018
As an ARNP, the scope of practice is limited to the lowest common denominator, and appears to be subject to arbitrary changes based on the preference of a regional site manager. Mid levels are not permitted a voice on decisions (no voting privileges). There are some wonderful providers at GHS, but the overall culture is one that negates the value of “mid-levels”.
Pros
Generous CME days off
Cons
Limited services of insurance, no voting privileges, limited scope of practice
Provider employment
Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WINovember 19, 2018
A great place to work for physicians, but for mid-level providers, the pay scale is well below market rate. Overall the system is mission driven, there are many benefits, and the retirement system is nice.
Pros
Professional environment, great peers
Cons
Low pay compared to the surrounding market for mid level providers
This place is a nightmare
Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  Lacrosse, WINovember 16, 2018
This place is a nightmare to work the management is horrible the coworkers are cutthroat and back stabbing there's more gossiping then work being dont half the employees skate by and other work hard and nothing is ever done about it you can turn someone in and nothing gets done the pay is terrible for environmental assistant its 10 for first shift they are over worked under paid and no one cares about you they only seem to care when you mess up dont work here
Pros
Benifits and pto
Cons
Everything els
Computers all day long
IT Intern (Former Employee) –  Onalaska, WINovember 11, 2018
Being able to play with computers throughout the day is fun without a doubt; learned many things about tearing apart computers/maintenance. Got to work with a lot of fun people.
Pros
Computers
Stay away!
Ea (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WIOctober 17, 2018
this place is where you can meet great people! but the management does not communicate they will fire you over hear say!! DONT WORK THERE EVER! they will tell you to take overtime then get you in trouble for it! be very leary!
Clinical Informaticist 2 (Current Employee) –  Onalaska, WIAugust 26, 2018
Good place to work. All areas and departments that I have worked with were wonderful. for the most part departments and other teams work well together to give the best end result for either patients or Gundersen employees.
If I could give a negative star
brakfest (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WIAugust 12, 2018
They apparently doing like wasting, though expect you to make food at at 10(when the breakfast ends) for all of the late people. The people there don't know how to treat the new employees and will fire you by hear say, just because the person you worked with felt uncomfortable. DO NOT WORK HERE!! You will hate it.
A great place to work
Department Secretary (Former Employee) –  Onalaska, WIJuly 16, 2018
Loved my job supporting entire department and assisting other departments as needed. I was a go to person and historian. Gave buildig tours. Trouble shooted and problem solved on a daily basis.
Assisted M.D.s, R.N.s, M.A.s, S.S.s and others throughout my career.
benefits
Cons
turnover of managers
Learning while working
LPN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WIJuly 12, 2018
While working on med/onc floor, I was given opportunity to learn more about cancer and treatments available. This was my first hospital job and the other LPNs and RNs where very willing to help me learn as much as possible to be an effective LPN in the unit,
Pros
great learning environment
Cons
Most units do not utilize LPNs in the hospital setting

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gundersen Health System. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.6InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

4.1Career Opportunities

3.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight