Gunderson LLC Employee Reviews

Good for learning, bad for long term
Pipefitter/Welder (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 9, 2018
Very great place for learning, they pay great for training and teaching you to be good at welding/fitting, good benefits/insurance, 401k program and bonus’ according to safety, production and quality, but once you’re done training, good luck getting your A-test which allows you to advance up and get your raises. And top pay isn’t good at all, they say “we make the best barges in the world” but pay you average. And I took pipe test which includes a $4/hr raise which I didn’t get until the day I left (18 months later). So it depends what crew you get into, some are better than others, but overall it is a great place to learn but not much more
Don't waste your time
Welder/ fitter (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 1, 2018
When I worked there is was always safety first. You didn't get to be sick though. Even if you were in a car accident they will fire you for not showing up.
Pros
Cons
They work long hours and sre not paid enough for the work they do.
Shotty at best
Brake Operator (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 27, 2018
If you're good at your job you'll progress to contentment. Then after you realize those raises they promised you will stop because they stopped the whole plants without telling its employees you'll be fed up and done. Management has its thorns in the bush but also has some good guys. The employees are exactly what you'd expect in a place like this, aggressive yet friendly. If I ever make it out, I wont be back.
Manager in Training (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 27, 2018
This is fast paced environment. Like most manufacturing, it can be cyclical. You're not just a number here and management truly cares. Offers a variety of work.
Productive and good learning experiences.
Welder (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 14, 2018
A good learning experience and hope to continue to do the very best. The training I received is very important and when you have a good training you do better and emprove every day.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Learning everyday
Maintenance Electrician (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 14, 2018
Never know what you’ll work on which is nice and it’s a fast paced job. The day normally flys by cause you’re always busy. Lots of hard working people.
Skillful and advancing workplace.
Crane Operator/Rigger (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 7, 2018
Many job opportunities available at entry level. Room for advancement. Decent paid time off after probation period. Bonuses yearly. Employees are all friendly.
Cons
Overtime is continuous on Saturdays.
Alright
Welder/Fitter (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 6, 2018
It was a great place to get some good experience but not that much room for fast advancement. Boneheads and good workers are treated the same. Really depends on the foreman.
Pros
Great safety culture
Cons
Impersonal
Hard work but good work
Welder / Fitter - Marine Barge Construction (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 6, 2018
typical work day: just like any other labor site. assess what you need to do find out any aditional info about the job if you have questions ask ask ask.
What I learned: how to fit weld and mcgyver most things
Managment: pretty much just like anywere else.
Work place culture: competitive very
Hardest part was absorbing all the wisdom and info there was to be had. some are good at that and some arent. not everybody is made for every job.
Most enjoyable part was learning to weld from some of the great teachers they had there
Good company to work for
Painter (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 20, 2018
Overall is a good company to work for. You learn new things and once you get ahold of it, it s not too bad. Good place for people looking for a stable job.
Pros
Bonuses, good benefits.
Cons
Raises are no when they are supposed to be. You have to wait a long time.
Repetitive, but rewarding.
Welder/Fitter & Environmental (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 12, 2018
The workplace culture is simple: do what you are told and you will do well. If you are willing to put in the time and have the good fortune of not being laid off, Gunderson is a decent place to work. Conditions vary widely depending on who you get as a supervisor; some good, some not so good. I enjoy welding so the work was easy for me to get into. The hardest part of the job is the repetitive nature and only being recognized when something goes wrong. I learned how to better be my own advocate, which is good anywhere you work. With new tarriffs on steel and aluminum, the reliability of steady work is in flux, so be prepared for that.
Pros
Company picnic in August. Excellent training.
Cons
Daily grind. Supervisors are not really trained to manage their teams.
A very demanding work place but enjoyed the work in the 1990s and2000s.
Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 6, 2018
started in 1993 and was able to learn alot about hand and air powered tools and enjoyed the experiance. Since the was exposed to various hydraulic presses, shears and punches. while having only two foremen in that time i realised that if you were not a friend of the foreman you were going to be in for a long and difficult time there. the hardest part of the job was getting the boss to let you do the job instead of sending it out to a company that does that type of repairs. the best part of job was that i was able to get a piece of equipment repaired and functional by the end of shift, and that was to repair a flex shaft that connects engine to transmission with engine house still on the equipment which was a very good thing for me.
Pros
good safety program
Cons
foremen were always aginst us.
easy work flow
Fitter/Welder/Layout (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 3, 2018
easy work flow, work in any department and weather conditions at any given time. management subpar, bias to those who put in extra OT. Upper management relations with employees isn't strong.
Pros
co-workers are good
Cons
short breaks, high cost for health care, poor communication from management
very high paced stressful environment
Welder (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 27, 2018
My days back in 1994 as a welder It was a very stressful place to work with bad management and no opportunities of job advancement and lack of pay raises.
Pros
Job
Cons
underappreciated
AP department needs improvement
Accounting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 16, 2017
during my time there, it was partially a hostile work environment. the Lead would refuse to listen to you if she didn't like you. The manager was very rude and played faves. Don't worry, she's no longer there.
Uuugh...
Fitter/Welder (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 19, 2017
Like to hire and fire... no job security, unpleasant higher-ups and alot of arrogance. Their lunch breaks are short, inbetween breaks are okay, everyone is better than the other.
Pros
Cons
Everything else
If you like repetition this is the place to grow
WELDER/FITTER (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 2, 2017
My two years here were one of the highest learning curves and I felt supported in my time of learning. The atmosphere is fast paced because of the production style but people will always willing to work with you to bring you up.
Pros
Mandatory 3 breaks, Production bonuses bi-annually
Cons
Repetition, complacency.
Large production plant, great compensation and benefits
Welder-fitter (marine) (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 16, 2017
Worked graveyard for my first time and enjoyed that lifestyle. I had an amazing learning opportunity, from MIG welding, fitting, scarfing and cutting torches. Management team was always there when you needed them. Showing up to work here was difficult once in awhile, because you knew hard work was in front of you. But, once you were there, you were surrounded by a large team of hard workers to get the job done. The best part about this job was being able to see all of the hard work paid off; in the bank and in the water.
Pros
Great benefits, equipment and people
Cons
High insurance premiums, inconsistent work
Hard work, good pay, good safety practices, culture's decent for industry.
Welder & Production Outfitter (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 7, 2017
Relative to OTHER industries, the culture is far less sunny/sociable than that you'll get in an average office job, but for a dedicated heavy industry production line I expect that the level of griping & cussing was about par for the course. Safety culture is good, you can tell your boss's rear end will be on the line if someone sprains an ankle (especially if it doesn't get properly reported). My impression is that things used to be alot more "stop asking questions and do what I say", and that there's been a culture shift in a better direction.

Gunderson prefers to take care of its people and wants to retain the good ones for decades, there are plenty of guys who've been there 20+ years. Trouble is that they've had problems finding contracts recently, so they haven't had enough work to be as generous as they'd like.

When layoffs or reorg are in the cards, management will keep those cards close to their chest, but considering the sheer amount of financial harm (or worse) a disgruntled employee could do at this kind of job? I'm not sure they have any other option.

They don't have a union, and are leery of one forming- but I think the main way they avoid it is by being decent enough to employees that there isn't a need for them to start one.

Shadiest thing I saw is that bosses are CLEARLY under pressure to never let employees use them as references when looking for jobs elsewhere, even if said employee's being fired.
Pros
Full time employment, decent pay, good tools & PPE which they purchase and hand out to you, good training.
Cons
Upper management deliberately makes it harder for you to then find welding jobs elsewhere.
Always busy and productive
Fitter/Welder (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 24, 2017
Great people to work with and nice environment. Always have a job to do so you're constantly doing something, which was great. Welding felt like doing art work so it was definitely fun.
Pros
Great foreman
Cons
If no ones buying barges, then the company doesn't need as much people there, which then leads to a layoff.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gunderson LLC. Our community is ready to answer.

Gunderson LLC Reviews by Location