Gurnick Academy of Medical Arts Employee Reviews

There were always potlucks and educational seminars.
LVN Educator (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAApril 5, 2018
I was either teaching pharm., psych, or skills while at Gurnick. I then would take the students into the acute care hospitals and show them how to function as a LVN. I have many friends here as I am outgoing and caring. The hardest part of the job became the commute from Visalia to Fresno four days a week.
Pros
Great People
Cons
Communte
Stressful and demanding with high expectations without compensation
Didactic Instructor (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAMarch 22, 2018
Didactic classroom instruction for students from all adult ages varying in educational background and maturity. Average class is about 30 students. Spent countless hours at home preparing for lessons and grading tests and answering emails from students.I learned how to motivate and teach students to try to use their critical thinking skills and not to just memorize questions for a test. Management was not supportive and sent out threatening emails assuming the worst instead of asking what had actually occurred without assuming good intentions.Cheating is rampant at this school. Not a safe culture, always defending myself. Hardest part of the job was having to answer over 60 student emails on my own time. If you stayed on campus to do that, you were not paid for it, but it was still your responsibility to be available 24/7. It was difficult to balance work and home life because you had to grade your papers at home and that would take an average of 6-8 hours per 4 hour classes, plus, answer emails and post grades. Most enjoyable part of the job was watching the student's learning the material and using their critical thinking skills to grasp concepts.
Pros
Making a difference in some of the students lives.
Cons
Not being compensated for mandated work responsibilities
Productive and learning workplace
Student (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAMarch 16, 2018
Your learn something new everyday. Great staff makes learning very easy. I would encourage anyone who would like to add more certification to their name.
Pros
Fast pase
Cons
too fast
na
LVN Student (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJanuary 12, 2018
I completed my LVN program with Gurnick and right now I'm currently doing my ASVN with Gurnick as well, most likely I will do my RN bridge program with the school also. It is a great school and I recommend it to anyone looking to further their education.
Terrible management from top to bottom
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CA & San Mateo, CASeptember 23, 2017
Students are wonderful, but management is truly horrific. Changing students schedule at the last minute/adding labs and not telling them until the day before. Zero organization among the company including lesson plans, so teachers are forced to either quickly rewrite lesson plans or teach on the fly. Felt bad for students who are paying so much money. Quick staff turnaround due to poor management
Pros
Working with students who have a desire to learn
Cons
Horrific management
A very fast paced worklace
Clinical instructor (Current Employee) –  Concord, CAAugust 26, 2017
One has to be on top of things time wise and make sure you are teaching clinicals according to the didactic schedule . Once you have that organized you will be fine
It can be a challenge to have students with very different personalities
Pros
Nine
Cons
No pay for prep work
School
Student (Former Employee) –  Concord, CAJune 27, 2017
Great school, fast paced but friendly environment, I had a lot of fun. I made a lot of new friends and we worked together as a team with the staff to help advance each other.
Make a Difference
Clinical Coordinater (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CA 93711May 21, 2017
Loved the student contact, making a difference and seeing the student progress.
I have learned that teaching is very rewarding and consuming.
Unfortunately being understaffed there is little to no work/home balance.
I absolutely love doing the Clinical Coordinating portion of my job as well as the interaction with students.
Pros
Making a differnce in lives
Cons
Too much working from home
Great School. Expensive.
Radiologic Technology Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Concord, CAMarch 29, 2017
Although this is a private school and is very expensive, it offers the most extensive variety of clinical sites compared to any other radiography program around. expanding more and more every year, opening a new sacramento campus in addition to the existing concord campus.
Great school
Student Radiographer (Former Employee) –  Concord, CANovember 7, 2016
Great school and staff. Everyone is friendly and helpful. They will go out of their way to try and accommodate your needs.
Not so Good
Employee (Former Employee) –  Concord, CAApril 12, 2016
Employees are wonderful but management needs a lot of help. If you want to work for a company and feel supported you should look into working for a different company.
LVN Program (Current Employee) –  Concord, CAAugust 25, 2015
I really enjoyed the staff and the knowledge that I gained. I look forward to working as an LVN and perusing my dreams as a Nurse.
Productive and Innovative Company
Associate Vocational Nursing Program Director (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CAMarch 30, 2015
You will never be bored in a growing and innovative company. You will constantly learn about education, compliance, team building, and networking in your community to grow your program's presence. Co-workers are fun and motivated to see the students succeed. The hardest part of job is keeping up with keeping ahead of the schedule so that you are always ready for anything such as relocating your students if needed. The most enjoyable part of the job was being part of a vibrant, diverse, and innovative company and the rewarding feeling of building a school.
Pros
Lots of autonomy and opportunity to grow within your department
Cons
At times requires putting in long hours
Academic
Clinical Instructor - Accredited LVN Program (Current Employee) –  Modesto, CAMarch 27, 2015
The typical day at work is teaching at a clinical site. Number of students averages between 9 and 15 per module. The students are a pleasure to work with and willing to learn. During the past 2 1/2 years I have learned how to work with many different types of personalities, cultures, ethnic groups, and learning styles. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with the students and seeing that aha moment when everything they have learned comes together and makes sense. I live for that moment.
Pros
Working with the students
Great Place to work
Clinical Instructor (Current Employee) –  Modesto, CAFebruary 24, 2015
As a young and developing company they are always making advancements and it is a pleasant place to work. Both the management and the co-workers are happy and helpful and it is a joy to work here. The students are very hard working and have very high goals.
Pros
Weekends and Holidays off
Exciting start-up technology company.
Outreach Development Manager (Current Employee) –  San Mateo, CAJanuary 24, 2015
Intense work, travelled a lot from US to Singapore, Singapore.
Pros
Singapore was terrific!
Cons
Company no longer exist.
Productive and Fun Place To Work
Outreach Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Modesto,CAAugust 26, 2014
Amazing Company to work for, lots of freedom to explore your ideas to improve the standards of education.
Pros
Family Environment
Cons
No 401K
exciting work days
Student Vocational Nurse (Former Employee) –  Concord, CADecember 4, 2013
Filling prescriptions (appointments, drop-ins, hospital, refill line, on-line, fax and directly from doctors), compounding, calling in prescriptions to other pharmacies, presenting meds to owners, assisted in treatment, patient care and with drop in clients, administered and prepared vaccines, was in charge of ordering of medications and supplies, trained new interns on computer system (Cornerstone) and drug distribution.
accelerated nursing program
LVN Program (Former Employee) –  Concord, CADecember 2, 2013
Medication pass (electronic MAR)
Prepared & administered injections (PPD, IM and subcutaneous)
Ostomy care & education
Blood glucose testing & insulin therapy
Wound care & treatment
GT feeding & medication administration
Assisted clients with ADLs & physical therapy
Catherization
Assisted in plastics clinic
Tracheostomy care
Gama
Placement Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Modesto, CAOctober 31, 2013
Needs 401K and Upward advancement. Great management at the Modesto campus.