Guthrie Health Employee Reviews

Busy organization
Employee (Current Employee) –  Sayre, PAFebruary 22, 2019
Organization that keeps up with the changes in healthcare and looks to help the community by offering the best healthcare services. Community support and education along with hiring top providers are priority for Guthrie.
Benefits
Cons
Busy organization
Productive and very nice place to work at.
Anatomic Pathology Manager (Current Employee) –  Sayre, PAFebruary 14, 2019
I love my role and the support that I get from all levels.
Excellent patient care services.
Doctors strive to give the best treatment to patients.

Love working @ Guthrie
Do not choose Guthrie!
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Sayre, PAJanuary 9, 2019
I've been in healthcare administration for over 20 years working for two outstanding organizations and GMG is the most unethical and morally deficit environment I have ever seen. Callus management with a patriarchal and outdated leadership team.
Physicians are treated like widgets who are asked to do more everyday without proper support staffing. Top heavy in administration that is a closed clique without a moral compass.
Toxic environment
Patient Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sayre, PADecember 5, 2018
A stressful environment for anyone who wants to be treated like a human being instead of an emotionless, tireless robot. Hard work is undervalued, while preference is given to those who "know the right people."
Pros
Excellent health insurance and paid vacation.
Cons
Not valued as an individual.
Train you
Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ithaca, NYNovember 13, 2018
When I took this position I had some medical background, which helped. What really helped is that they really train you, they give you one-week training and then you do some training in the home office as well.
Pros
Big family
Cons
Favoritism took place when I worked there
Okay place to work
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Sayre, PAOctober 19, 2018
Guthrie has great benefits but lacks the ability for employees to grow unless you know someone who knows someone. The location isn't the greatest. Very rural.
Why I Left Nursing
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Sayre, PAOctober 18, 2018
Guthrie was my first ever nursing Job. I left nursing because of it . To start with the Nurse residency program is a joke. It has little to do with where you want to go and more to do with where they are really short and need staff. I was fortunate / unfortunate enough to get my offer for the ICU. I regret ever accepting it. Lots of Local staff bullying people. If you're not one of the click you can forget getting any real support. Where on one hand it is well funded and staffed decently, the lack of nursing support is troublesome. Dr.'s and residents always helpful. if you ever report problems with staff to management or HR they are not helpful and wont follow throw. When you start as a new Nurse forced to sign a 2 year commitment with no sign on bonus or reimbursement with a $5,000.00 dollar penalty if you leave early.(They will keep last check if you don't intend to pay.) The parking is a nightmare . Out in a lot that you have to shuttle in from. Car was dinged pretty bad there while I was working. Security explained not there problem and none of the cameras worked. Had to use my insurance to get car fixed.Changed to uniforms back in Aprilish and expected to pay top dollar for cheap scrubs that cost 60 just for tops and get next to nothing in reimbursement. Finally gave notice and left . Overall experience made it so I didn't want to continue on in the field.
Pros
Well equipped
Cons
Everything is bad. Please save youreself the trouble.
Worst company to work for ever.
Patient Care Partner (Former Employee) –  Sayre, PAOctober 4, 2018
Guthrie is horrible. Robert Packer Hospital anyway, I have been in healthcare for literally 8 years and worked different kinds of healthcare and you’d think working at a hospital would be amazing and professional but it is not. It is not at all. It was horrible. I was bullied by co-workers and they allowed it because she’s worked for them for 28 years. That doesn’t allow you to bully someone for their sexual orientation and being a guy period. If you’re not a woman you’re nobody. Nonetheless bully someone at all. Everyone was nasty and rude to me. They were just mean. The managers even held a meeting with us new care partners and told us “ with what you guys have dealt with since you started I would have ran off” basically admitted we started into some chaos, and we did. Anytime I went to them to report the things I wanted to stop they would act like I was inconveniencing them. Like I was the one in the wrong. Literally I have worked for smaller companies with less drama this is supposed to be a top 100 hospital in the nation? Yeah right. They allow bullying. They treat you like trash and it’s insane. Then I got let go by my manager and her only words were “you don’t seem to be fitting in” you’re right I’m being bullied and dealing with it everyday. All the nurses loved me they said I was amazing at what I did. And the patients loved me. The management are bullies and they conspire with the employees and are all bullies. I was a victim but it’s okay I am glad I am out of there. Robert Packer Hospital is HORRIBLE. It’s all about drama and cliques and if you don’t kiss their  more... butts and join their cliques they will find a way to get rid of you or fire you. If you’re considering leaving your job because you think Robert packer is going to be better turn away now 3 of us left jobs to go there thinking it was a great thing when in reality they screwed us over. Now we have to find new jobs. And none of us even knew each other. They will do this for NO REASON. horrible horrible place.  less
Cons
Not patient or staff friendly
LPN Float (Current Employee) –  Sayre, PAOctober 4, 2018
Not given enough time with patients, parking off site which adds time to day and time away from family, management lack communications skills, not clear on what to do and not to do, over worked.
Enjoyed working in Ophthalmology
Medical Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sayre, PAAugust 29, 2018
Was very fast paced, doctors and staff were great. Management was in transition to new manager so some things were unorganzied at times. But after while with new manager a routine started to help.
high stress, heavy work load
Certified Diabetes Educator (Former Employee) –  Sayre, PAAugust 22, 2018
poor life work balance
doing the work of three staff
upper management failed to respond to requests for improvements in department
low staff motivation
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Sayre, PAAugust 20, 2018
I enjoyed working at Guthrie Clinic very much. I was over many different areas in Accounts Receivable area and assisted with physician education to improve reimbursement. I was able to reduce the accounts receivable days by several at Catherine clinic as well as many more key metric indicators.
Pros
Advanced medical procedures and well known facility
Cons
Poor management, not patient centered, high risk for error due to high volume of patients
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Former Employee) –  Corning, NYAugust 16, 2018
Centerway is a joke! These offices should be a separate entity from the main Guthrie. It is left out in its own to be run by poor managers who only care about themselves. Turnover rate is increasing in a daily basis. The patient is not important here its how many they can squeeze in day so they profit! Moral in the whole building is at an all time low which is no surprise due to how the treat people. Unless your one if the favorites, forget it you are just a number!!
Pros
Certain co workers
Cons
Poor management, pay not all that great, selfish managers, money driven not patient centered
Poor Management
Middle Management (Former Employee) –  Sayre, PAAugust 11, 2018
The management that I had to work with was incompetent. There was no accountability and expectations were beyond scope of position. Basically it was me trying to keep their neck above water. Terrible experience when manager was unable to perform their job duties.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Pay not worth the stress of having incompetent manager
fast paced and stressfull
Patient Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Corning, NYAugust 11, 2018
I believe that Guthrie as a whole has a lot to offer its employees, however the lack of proper management and management engagement is making good, hard-working employees look for employment outside of the Guthrie organization.
A mixed experience
Advanced Practice Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Sayre, PAJuly 23, 2018
Great clinical experiences within a resource rich multi specialty clinic. Close and loving family-like relationships amongst work teams. Sweet rural community near Fingerlakes cultural offerings.

No limit on max work hours for clinicians. No leadership opportunities for non-physician clinicians. Leadership is 98% white male physicians, while half of providers are women, not white, and/or not physicians. Good salary, but offers half as much CME funding to mid-levels as physicians. Insensitive to the needs of working parents.

Espouses patient centered care but conducts no community outreach to ascertain patient preference or needs and takes no visible action on community feedback when received. Offers no outpatient mental health services in a grossly underserved community and very limited inpatient psychiatric care, so primary care clinicians carry the extra burden of caring for these needs.

Leadership priorities and plans are not transparent. Talks "team" but practices an authoritarian power structure. High turnover in middle management. High proportion of travel staff in the hospital. Very solid and dedicated local nursing staff.
Pros
Family-like work teams
Cons
Patriarchal, physician-centered, and provincial
Friendly environment to work with
Staff Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Sayre, PAJuly 13, 2018
It was my first job as a pharmacist and all staff were very friendly. I enjoyed to be there everyday and to work. Fun part was rotating with different departments .
Great work environment and great staff
Medical Technician (Current Employee) –  Spiro, OKJuly 11, 2018
I love being able to work with family and in the medical field. I’ve learned a lot about health care, physical therapy, and medical advancement as to where the medical field is heading in the future.
We all work together to make the clinic clean and friendly
Environmental Services (Current Employee) –  Sayre, PAJune 24, 2018
Everyday before we start our lead and sometimes the supervisor comes out and tells us what’s been going on and they give us a reason to work. Our night shift lead is an amazing woman and she deserves the best of the best!
Enjoyable
Patient Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Sayre, PAJune 19, 2018
Even as stressful as my position can be, the work environment is amazing! Everyone is so helpful. If it wasn't so far from my home I wouldn't consider leaving, but I also need to cut down hours to make time for classes.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Guthrie Health. Our community is ready to answer.