Gwinnett County Public Schools Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Amazing Place to work at
Instructional Clerk (Former Employee) –  Suwanee, GAJuly 9, 2018
My day started out with greeting from my co-workers at 6:15. We all hit the ground running by 6:30. We all help each other and no one is alone doing there job. We all worked as a team. It is a family, fun, and relaxed atmosphere.
love the people at Chesney Elementary
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Duluth, GAJuly 9, 2018
You work very hard and the pay is so low condidering you love what you do and a lot of people would never choose to work with special needs kids. I love working in Special Education. I love the school I work in.
Collaborative tight knit group.
Teacher 5th grade, Starling Elementary School (Current Employee) –  Grayson, GAJuly 1, 2018
I received a lot of support from my colleagues but minimal support from the administration. A typical day at work at Starling Elementary was fast paced and demanding. I learned that a successful teacher needs to be prepare, innovative and patient. The workplace culture was supportive but very stressful. The hardest part of the job was trying to always shine before the administration. This stress took away from the joy of teaching. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that the students were being educated and prepared for Middle school.
Pros
New School with loads of resources.
Cons
High expectations with low guidance.
a lot of paperwork
OCCUPATIONAL THERAPIST (Former Employee) –  shiloh es in gwinnettJune 29, 2018
Only workeed 24 hours a week with a caseload a full time therapist. attended all IEP meetings and department meeting. Got all done with paperwork in a timely manor.
Pros
team support
Cons
too much paperwork
job suggestions
library associate (Current Employee) –  Peachtree Corners, GAJune 25, 2018
You learn really fast that gwinnett county has homelessness, that the big wigs really do not care about their employees need to have more discounts for health and fitness
Pros
flexiable with hours depending on your manager
Cons
just no room for advancement and need more money for all we have to do and deal with
Fun Professional work place
Clerical/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Suwanee, GAJune 22, 2018
Family oriented but no value given to the Substitute staff. Extreme low pay for Substitute Workers. Not appreciated or considered. School could not exist with the Substitutes but they do not believe in paying a livable wage.
Pros
Versatile shift schedule
Cons
very low pay!
great place
Paraprofessional Teacher (Former Employee) –  Suwanee, GAJune 13, 2018
Great place to work and raise a family. A well planned out and managed school system. Parents are very much involved in the decision making process and show an appreciation for the role of the teacher in the student's life.
Partnership
Third Grade Teacher (Former Employee) –  Gwinnett County, GAJune 12, 2018
Great family & community involvement within the school. A typical work day involves working with students and partnering with co-worker for plan and staff development. Strong focus on student achievement.
Pros
Title 1 Schools
Great work place
Special Education Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Suwanee, GAJune 7, 2018
Great work environment. Great staff. Friendly administration. Summers off and all holidays. Great benefits. Understanding staff and administration. I would go back if I still lived in Georgia.
Pros
Summers off
Cons
The life of a bus driver
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAMay 31, 2018
When I first started for Gwinnett County I was very excited. I went through training with a snap.Some of the training instructors made it relaxing to pass and the reading materials given weren't that hard. Just had to study hard.My 1st year was a breeze. I fell in love with doing my job. I loved my students, got along very well with the teachers and staff at the schools and also attached to some of my parents of the students that I transported. I started off in regular ed doing all sorts of mid day activities which made it fun.
Pros
Plenty of overtime
Cons
Health care is exspensive and retirement for the bus drivers suck
Professional workplace
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAMay 30, 2018
Every day I come in ready to work and expected to be held to all standards of teaching. Teaching is so fun and rewarding but it can be stressful if you do not have proper time management skills.
Great Benefits
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Lilburn, GAMay 27, 2018
The benefits at GCPS are great, and the school system is competitive with other school systems in the area. It is a very stressful environment with testing season in the spring.
Stabilized Culture
Technology Support Technician II (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAMay 27, 2018
It can be a great place to work. It's what you make it. You will be busy preparing for testing, continuously. The great thing about working there is the SOP, standard operating policies. These help tremendously with troubleshooting, being that there is no training ahead of time.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Overworked
Disrespectful Management run their drivers away...See why "Now Hiring" GCPS bus drivers stays publicly posted at school sites all year round.
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAMay 26, 2018
Pros:
● Love driving for the special needs students. Love
learning new little personalities and meeting parents.
● Summers off is a plus. Supervisor will support
drivers concerning student behavioral/conduct
issues.

Cons:
● No social security
● Not enough pay to encounter disrespectful
managers/supervisors without managerial skills or a
degree.
● "Literally" fruit will be tossed at you from a
supervisor for not responding to a very personal
question.
● You will be treated like a child working in a
plantation like environment.
● You will be written up for reporting road hazards on
your route to prevent collisions which is
apart of transporting students safely to and from
school.. And also, you will be written up not for
submitting medical forms in a timely manner;
requesting a fully operable spare from the repair
shop.
Pros
Summers off.
Cons
Disrespectful Management without managerial skills...
Fun and on your own Time
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  GeorgiaMay 24, 2018
As a substitute you make your own schedule! It's fun but if you are offered a long term position, they only pay you $10 more which isn't nearly enough
Professional Learning District
School Principal (Former Employee) –  Gwinnett County, GAMay 23, 2018
GCPS is a well-organized school district with leaders readily available to assist with professional learning and support. Resources are on hand to assist with academic growth for both teachers and students. The challenge of working for GCPS is work-life overlaps constantly with home-life because of the high demand from management, teachers and parents. The great part about working for GCPS is that opportunity for advancement is always open and typically can be obtained. Conducting classroom visits, walk-throughs and/or performance observations daily is built into the culture of this district. However, it ensures all leaders have a clear understanding to teaching and learning performance levels.
Pros
Advancement opportunities
Cons
Overlapping of work and home life
I love working for the county
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Suwanee, GAMay 22, 2018
It’s a great job with great benefits. It just doesn’t pay that great. But if you have children it works out great because you are off work when they are out of school.
Benefits
Great school system
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAMay 22, 2018
Great school system and very well run for such a large county school system. Very employee friendly and offer great benefits. They also offer a great chance for advancement.
The hardest part of this job for me was the commute. It was way too far a drive. The drive did not outweigh the benefits for me.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the children and my fellow teachers.
Absolutely Amazing School District!!
Special Education Substitute Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Suwanee, GAMay 21, 2018
I worked for GCPS as a substitute and I would highly recommend this district to anyone who wants to get their foot in the door to becoming a professional in the field of education. Amazing culture and atmosphere. The children are even a different breed.
Pros
Atmosphere, Management, Children are super smart
Cons
Driving distance
A productive and fast paced work environment everyday.
Cafeteria Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 15, 2018
A productive and fast paced work environment everyday. Diverse and hard work for any age. Great for a family life style to be at home with your children.