Gwinnett County Schools Employee Reviews

GCPS Teacher
Teacher (Current Employee) –  GeorgiaFebruary 18, 2018
Teaching requires heart and commitment. The difficult part can be when you have unsupportive parents and behavior issues from students that make it difficult to teach and difficult for the other students to learn, especially when you are not supported by administration. Another drawback is not having opportunities for advancement and not being appreciated for your hard work and time commitment beyond school hours. It is a rewarding career if you love children and making a difference in their lives but many new demands make it stressful and difficult to come to work each day.
Pros
insurance
Cons
lack of support, collaborative environment, and appreciation
Some schools are better than others
Kindergarten Teacher (Current Employee) –  Norcross, GADecember 18, 2017
I really hope that some administrations do not lie and do provide support, but that is not the case in my building. I do not trust my administration, but there are other schools that are not like this.
Great place to work!!
SUBSTITUTE TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Gwinnett countyDecember 11, 2017
I enjoyed working here but the pay is minimal if your background is not in education. the staff was very friendly and caring. if you are looking for flexibility, substituting is for you!!
Great place to build a career
Bus Manger (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GANovember 7, 2017
Great place to work, full of wonderful family adventures .Friendly co-workers with go-getem strive.

Enjoyed all my years with this great job.

Looking forward to next year!!
Busy but fun
Driver /Trainer (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAOctober 31, 2017
very busy but rewarding work schedule, Management did value my skills and my commitment to excellence.
I was given summer work within 6mos and became a lead at shop 8.
After 6 years I started training drivers.
I retired after 11yrs
Pros
weekends holidays summer off
Cons
work in all whether conditions
Workplace culture
parents/guardians and the County School Nurse (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAOctober 7, 2017
Gwinnett county schools is an excellent place to work. Everyone work together as a team and look out of each other to ensure that the students have an enjoyable day at school a they learn.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Salary
The work was challenging, honorable, and rewarding.
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Snellville, GASeptember 26, 2017
Never a typical day, always familiar, but challenging. Management depends on the principal, and can swing wildly between them. That was the hardest part of the job. The best part was finding out at the end of the year that you made a significant difference in a child's life. If a parent tells you that their 5yr old talked about how much you helped them grow up and learn, that is a good day.
Pros
vacation schedule
Cons
pay
Great Place to work and advance your career
Substitute Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GASeptember 2, 2017
A typical work day at the school consist of helping special needs children, scanning document and or any other assistance the teacher may require. In this field you learn patience. Management is very good and the have an open door policy. The hardest part of the job is some of the children cant communicate. I love working with the children and the staff.
Good to be a Sub Counselor Here
Counselor Sub (Current Employee) –  Suwanee, GAAugust 29, 2017
Pay is just sooooo low for it as a long term! You would probably get paid more to go to FCS and be a counselor sub over there. People that I have worked with so far have been great however it is still hard to break in as a full or part time counselor. This district is very tight knit when it comes to getting hired as a counselor. It sucks in that regard!
Pros
Work environment
Cons
Getting a full time position
Good for those who have kids attending school..
Bus Manager (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAAugust 26, 2017
If you have kids they can ride your bus, but this is a very stressful job. The insurance is too much takes up half of your check. workers are petty. SMH
Pros
You can change departments and positions but by seniority.
Cons
Insurance too much.
Transportation
Bus Manager (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAAugust 9, 2017
I drove many children to and from school and field trips. The job was enjoyable, but there is not much room for advancement. I decided to go to school in the evening to better myself. Although i enjoyed my job, I had to put in my notice. My manager gave me long routes which made me late for my evening classes and I was on the verge of being dropped from my program.
Pros
Weekends off, chatting with students and their parents
Cons
Long routes
Great resources & technology, poor in people relations
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Suwanee, GAJuly 10, 2017
A typical day at work for a black teacher is dealing with arrogant white teachers who try to convince administration that you less than they are and need to be removed. Black teachers are constantly fighting to keep jobs that they are very well qualified for while white people are handed jobs without qualifications.
Pros
technology and resources
Cons
poor people relations, they violate numerous laws and do whatever they wish
Rewarding place to work
SNP Worker (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAJune 19, 2017
I enjoyed working with the children seeing them grow year after year from the 6th grade thru the 8th. I was able to make an impact on a lot of kids..
Pros
free meals, good benefits
Cons
not enough compensation
Decent place to work
School Bus Manager (Current Employee) –  Duluth, GAJune 9, 2017
I enjoy my job at Gwinnett County Schools however it can be quite stressful in relation to the students, parents and staff. It is the perfect job for people who love weekends, holidays and summers off.
Pros
Holidays off
Cons
Lowered pay over the summer
The most enjoyable part of the job
Food Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAJune 6, 2017
The most enjoyable part of working at Gwinnett County Schools Food Nutriton was that I got to work with kids along with learn new things from them. I loved the Idea of being able to work in the kitchen doing what I love best cooking.
Kids keep me young! 😀
Educator (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAMay 12, 2017
Since 2003, I have worked as a GCPS employee as a teacher I pin 6th and 7th grades. I teach Social Studies to all level of learners including Collabrtive, Regular, ESOL and Gifted students.
Good environment to work.
Substitute teacher (Current Employee) –  Gwinnett countyMarch 20, 2017
Implemented the lesson plans outlined and left by the teacher for the children during the day. The hardest part is so many students in one classroom at one time with ratios of 25-27 to 1 teacher. Hard to really teach and motivate the students sometimes.
Pros
great experience
Cons
no health benefits for substitutes
Productive and fun work place
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAFebruary 4, 2017
With creativity, patience, and a directed focus, educate, encourage, and provide academic support to classroom students in the absence of their primary teacher.
Pros
Working with youth
Cons
Low pay
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAFebruary 4, 2017
great place to work. I enjoy working for my current administrators. The student have a desire to learn and that helps in encouraging teachers to be their best.
Productive, fun, exciting, and rewarding
Sub Teacher (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GASeptember 7, 2016
To help students excel in their everyday studies. To be a role model, supporter, and provider to the students in your care each day. Co-workers are great supporters for sub teachers, and help out as much as possible.
Pros
worked with kids all day, great work hours, off days, and vacations.
Cons
Pay could be much better.