Gymboree Group Employee Reviews

Found 1,281 reviews matching the search See all 1,420 reviews
No pay raises, a lot of tasking.
Store Lead (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaOctober 28, 2018
I’ve worked for gymboree for three years now and as a sales lead for over a year and I haven’t and probably won’t receive a raise. Corporate has no idea about the decisions they make and how they negatively affect the store. They want us to focus our attention all on the customers but there are hours and hours of tasking that needs to be completed so we’re supposed to do it before or after the store closes but with the pay we receive and no raises it makes it hard for these things to be completed. I’ve over heard our district manager tell my store manager to deny the days we request off. Which a majority of the time are to get things in life done more than “for fun” and I always gets the days that I need off denied. Hours are flexible but the work load is tremendous for the pay you receive.
Pros
Discount, flexible hours
Cons
No raises, work load is heavy, denied days off
Not a great corporation to work for
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Rogers, AROctober 8, 2018
The challenge with Gymboree as with most Corporations, I'm sure is that the corporate world has absolutely no clue what/how things go on at the store level.
There was NO "typical" day at the store - that COULD be interesting, but the reasons it wasn't weren't fun reasons - reasons to help our customers.
I learned a lot at Gymboree, numbers, what NOT to do for my customers, and.....what a corporation expects...with no raises for 2 years straight.
The hardest part of the job was the technical part - if our registers went down, the Help Desk could never help us get back online - nor help us fix it to make it a better experience for the customer. You NEVER knew when Corp. would throw a sign change in at the last minute.
The most enjoyable part of the job, actually were the customers. They became like family after shopping with them for 10 years.
Pros
FTO days
Cons
Better benefits, hours/payroll for full time, no clue how the corporate decisions effected the store level, Good or bad, due to hours and no raises for the last 3 years I made less money
Blood sucking racist company
IT Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 9, 2019
Uninformed & Disconnected Leadership who are oblivious to how the work actually gets done and by whom. Little understanding of processes and techniques supposedly overseeing. Never worked anywhere, that the HR department and Management worked so close that would make you not trust HR department employees since they would let the management know that whom exactly did complain about them to the HR.
Pros
HQ location, a weekly work remote option
Cons
Benefits/Salary, Management, Systems
Make sure you have a dream team...
Sales Lead (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJune 14, 2018
If you are looking to advance with Gymboree it is a good place to work. After working there for almost 6 years I have had opportunities for advancement but had to turn them down due to personal reasons. Gymboree can be good with the right team. Management plays a large role in the happiness of employees. The company expects a lot of sales leads for the compensation and lack of compensation growth. There are incentives for certain aspects of the job such as drives and contests. You are emailed with what the company wants you to do, which is often unreasonable with the amount of payroll allowed. Hours are scarce for those stores that are average money makers. Overall, with the right team, Gymboree can be enjoyable so long as you make it that way. You will however be expected to do your job and then some of upper managements job as well to make everyone happy.
Pros
Hour flexibility
Cons
compensation growth
Fun place to work if your working with the right people
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHAugust 6, 2018
I just recently left the Gymboree store I was working at because management was unprofessional and unpleasant to work with. My manager would work with you with the schedule but they never had any hours to give. I was working two hour shifts once a week. when I did get hours it was never more than 4 at a time they would rather hire more people so that a sales associate didn't get benefits. my management was bad with communicating she would write rude notes all over the place instead of having a one on one conversation or a team meeting. management played favorites and talk behind the sales associates back all the time. they wouldn't hire within , not sure why. They would racially profile customers and I thought maybe that's why I couldn't move up in the company. The most enjoyable part of the job was that I worked with a sales lead that I liked and I loved helping the customers. I came to work did my part and beyond for the customers because I enjoyed working in retail. I just wished I was able to manage my own store because we would be a team not divided.
Pros
great discount
Cons
not enough hours
Nice enviroment to work in
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 11, 2018
Management is great the culture at work is very upbeat and my coworkers are amazing. Upper management is very personable and easy to approach with any comments concerns or issues.
Benefits
Cons
long hours and home/worklife has no balance
A stressful job in a fun environment.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Billings, MTAugust 11, 2018
To have success as a store manager with this company, hire wisely!
The company offers no training hours at all for sales associates, and very few hours for key holder positions, and at times none at all. Hiring employees with previous sales and management experience is wise.
Pros
Innovating, Upbeat, Health Benefits
Cons
Low wages for entry level associate positions, Always in a time crunch between lots of tasks to be completed and customer service/sales to be made.
No room for advancement
Sales Lead Manager (Current Employee) –  Grove City, PADecember 18, 2018
I’ve been here for over two years. I started out as a sales lead and instead of promoting within, they would bring in other people from outside the company. No room for advancements and not a single raise.
Pros
Wonderful company
Cons
No room for advancement or raises
Executive duds
Senior Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 28, 2018
This is a reactive company. Some of the most talented people I know work there, however, the executive leadership is lacking and cause for a complicated work environment.
Pros
Snack Time, Yoga and health options and good benifits
Cons
Executive leadership is faulty
bad bad bad company to work
Sales to Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 11, 2019
too many tasks, not enough payroll.
not competent home office employees and managers.
they don't have standards
no communication between stores and the home office
no respect for employees at all
only benefits were good.
benefits
Cons
pay rate
Great job if you love interacting with people and seeing babies on a daily basis.
Assistant Manager / Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 5, 2018
A typical day included opening the store, starting registers, taking deposit to the bank or on site drop box. Assisting customers with their daily shopping needs. Receiving inventory and putting away. Creating weekly schedule.
The hardest part about working at Gymboree was preparing for inventory.
The most enjoyable part was interacting with the customers.
Just in working with customers all around, I have learned to never take anything personal. Most customers only want a resolve to an issue. If you remain calm and professional, you can handle any and all disputes.
Pros
People, bonuses, store hours, flexible scheduling, health ins, benefits
Cons
sometimes had to work longer hours than usual
Job served its purpose but not long term
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint Peters, MOMarch 7, 2018
While Gymboree is much of my management experience, they promise advancement but when the opportunity was there, they would use me to cover stores as an "acting store manager" while they found a permanent store manager. Never was asked if Iwas interested and when I did mention that I was interested, it was over looked. You can only receive benefits if you were full time or a manager and even though I was an assistant manager, I finally was offered benefits right before they decided to close a bunch of their stores. Not even going to go into depth on their theft and return policies. It puts a lot of their employees at risk of being in danger in lots of circumstances!
Fun atmosphere but not advancement friendly
Retail Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLJuly 16, 2018
As an employee the store is always changing. You never really knew when you may have to change for a sell until you came in that morning. And even though they say they promote within, they don't. It's a good part time company and not a full time one.
Pros
Discount on clothes
Cons
No benefits for managers
Great management, amazing astmosphere.
Sales (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAAugust 27, 2018
Working doesn’t feel like work when you have such an amazing management. The manager alone is upbeat and driven. You can’t help but to strive to be your best self when your at work. The astomphere when you step into the store shows, you can’t help but to be happy and ready to sell. The staff feels more like family which is important to be able to communicate well and put forward you best ability to work hard. I would highly recommend working for this company. Selling comes easy with the support of the staff overall to continue to push each employee to their absolute best.

So if your looking for a partime job where there is the ability to promote within the company give Gymboree your all.
Pros
Discount, work doesn’t feel like work when you have an amazing management and upper management
Cons
Fast Pasted and always on the go
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  North Wales, PAOctober 3, 2018
When I started with the company back in 2014 I loved everything about it. I started off as a sales lead and then left a year later for another job. Then came back in 2018 and was promoted to an assistant manager. You can advance in the company, but if the DM doesnt like you that will never happen! The distract manager has her favorites and if you're not one you better watch your back. The one thing that kept me and keeps me from coming back to the company is that the current store manager (was hired back in November of 2017) would make a schedule to send to the DM and once it got approved she would then take that same schedule and change it so that she would work the morning shifts and have off on the weekends and make everyonr else work the shifts she didn't want. Also whenever we had to do interviews the distract manager would require us to email her a picture of the candidates faces.
Pros
Career advancement
Cons
Pay, Management
good working place for a starter
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Camphill, PAJune 27, 2018
Its a wonderful place to start out at. But retail you can only do for so long. If you love kids this environment is for you. The people are great to work with and flexible hours.
Pros
half hour lunch breaks, discount at store
Cons
have to earn bonuses, no raise
The company culture is in limbo
Senior Director (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 8, 2018
I was very fortunate to be surrounded by great people--peers, managers and executives--during my tenure at Gymboree. Like most retailers, this company runs very lean and a successful team-member needs to be ready to roll-up their sleeves, wear many hats and work hard. The culture overall was casual and collaborative.

The hardest part of the job was the lack of investment in technology and antiquated systems which resulted in a lot of inefficiencies across the organization. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people and relationships built through the years.

Management is poor due to constant turnover of team members at every level, especially with VP and above. With constant change in management, the communication and trust diminished through the years negatively impacting morale.
Pros
HQ location, a weekly work remote option
Cons
Benefits/Salary, Management, Systems
Productive retail store
Sales Associate (Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  Friendswood, TXAugust 27, 2018
The store was small with just a couple of sales associates. There were no major benefits aside from the store discount. Work got done due to teamwork.
Productive, Professional and Happy
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAMarch 13, 2018
An amazing job, offers a lot of opportunities and also helps others grow in their own work environments. The skills provided learning this job Legendary service, dealing with all types of customer service, sales and marketing, fashion and trends, along with banking and depositing, computer and phone skills. You also learn donations and funds I lived that this company pushed and pushed for children's of the st Jude's they also provide help for a lot of other fund raisers.
Pros
Professional corporation, flexible and understanding
Cons
Work hours weren't always consistent
Different on daily basis
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Zanesville, OHJune 15, 2018
Discounts are good. Usually good sales. Meet lots of different people. Make friends. Get to know the regular customers. No healthcare offered unless your a store manager. I was the assistant manager and still was not able to get benefits. No paid vacation unless you were a store manager. Flexible schedule.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
No healthcare

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gymboree Group. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight