Gyu-Kaku Japanese BBQ Employee Reviews

Fast on going pace with
Vons Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Canoga Park, CAFebruary 7, 2019
The hardest part in working at Guy Kaku was working at a constant fast pace under pressure work line as a chef. Overall the environment and management were decent and the co-workers made it fun.
Pros
Discounted Lunches
Cons
Rarely any breaks and grueling work
new location constantly looking for workers
Line Cook and Prep Cook (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJanuary 28, 2019
a typical day consists of coming in and prepping my station for the dinner rush and preparing customer and employee meals during the hours of operation and amending errors in orders. This location opened in July of 2018. This location is constantly looking for kitchen staff and buss-boys. Because of this high turn over, newer employees tend to be offered better hourly pay than older employees. If applying to this location for kitchen staff, do not except anything lower than $14/hour.
Fast-paced, fun work place
Server (Former Employee) –  Brea, CAJanuary 11, 2019
Being a server at Gyu-Kaku is by far the best job I've ever had. Not only is the pay great, you're always busy, constantly moving, which makes your shift go by so fast. The lead server at my location told me that serving at Gyu-Kaku is by far the hardest serving job he's had which is a relief to hear since the training you go through will make any other serving job seem like a piece of cake. Highly recommend working at Gyu-Kaku!
Pros
Discounted meals!
Very cool
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Pinecrest, FLDecember 24, 2018
Working at gyu kaku was definitly an experience got to learn alot about the asian culture and the types of food they eat. I enjoyed working there just the end of the night work was a bit tideous but over all fun place to work at.
Team Oriented Environment
Server (Former Employee) –  Kaneohe, HIDecember 2, 2018
Fast-paced working environment. Great people to work with Server & Host staff have young fresh outlook on life. It is a good job for someone wanting to be apart of a team.
Pros
Great People
Cons
Short Breaks
So-so job experience
Hostess/Busser (Former Employee) –  Kapolei, HINovember 28, 2018
The co-workers are really great; however, the management needs serious work. I don't feel like all workers get treated the same. It can tend to be a popularity contest. Shifts are not steady. I enjoyed the fast work pace. The culture between coworkers was strong. I learned a lot about time management and multitasking.
Racism
Lead Bartender Trainer (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas Valley, NVNovember 5, 2018
The worst place I have ever worked , they do illegal things dont know how to run a bar are always out of stock the bartenders are lazy and the servers never tip out their bartender
Pros
nothing
Cons
racist, got hit on by manager, fired so they could hire a friend
Branch Dependent
Senior Hostess (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 27, 2018
As a chain restaurant, it really depends on the manager to make the branch either a great branch or a terrible branch - to customers and staff. Certain managers were amazing and made the workplace run fluidly and others just made terrible judgments and caused more delays with seating.
Pros
Discounted food
Cons
No PTO, Sick Days
Amazing work environment
Host, Server, and Floor Manager (Current Employee) –  Burbank, CAOctober 25, 2018
Managers try to work around time schedules of the servers. Colleagues are hard working and work to make your job easier. Days can either really busy and other times really slow.
positive team members
Crew member (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 13, 2018
i enjoyed working for the store just not the manager. When i was working there the management was terrible. I learned how to properly cut New York Steak and other steaks, and Salmon (SEAFOOD)
Pros
The food was good
Cons
poor management
Great environment with lots of team work
Server (Former Employee) –  Tustin, CAOctober 11, 2018
I really enjoyed working there. Coworkers and managers were easy to talk to an everyone was all-hands-in. Everyone helps each other out, and the amount of communication keeps everyone in check while having fun.
Relaxed atmosphere and easy to learn
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 10, 2018
Began working here during college, starting with a few weeks of training. Schedule was very flexible, allowing you to write down your availability each week,
Very unprofessional ran by lazy managers
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 29, 2018
This place has to be the most unprofessional job I have ever worked at. Managers are very lazy, Didnr get paid fairly at all same with tips most people are not trained properly honestly I do not understand how that place is still going
Pros
Cons
No brakes lousy pay Lazy Workers and managers
It was fast-paced
Server (Former Employee) –  Cerritos, CASeptember 13, 2018
The job was fast-paced, which helped the shift move by quickly. However, management and inventory was inconsistent. Tips were nice. Scheduling can be inconsistent as well.
Easy, productive.
Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CASeptember 4, 2018
Not hard work, busy at time but easy. A lot of down time to clean. Managers are easy to talk to. Most of the time will give you days off if you need them.
Stressful
Busser (Current Employee) –  Canoga Park, CA 91303September 3, 2018
the only good thing is that they are willing to work with your schedule but they almost never promote from within and when they do its usually forever that they do. Plus the stress is too much on weekends and the comp is unfair from the work from FOH and BOH.
Pros
70% discount on first food then 20% on everything after
Cons
Stress work, No opportunity for 10 min break til after last call
Love it
Lead Cook (Former Employee) –  Kaneohe, HIAugust 23, 2018
A great place to work and enjoyable environment. Alot of stress and not alot of time for family. I enjoyed my time at Gyukaku and learned alot especially with trying my best to be a great lead for my coworkers. the management took care of me and saw that i put in alot of hours and compensated for that. I would definetly go back. It is the perfect job if you are single. It is a little more challenging if you have a family
Pros
Superior management
Cons
Too many hours and not enough time with family, High stress level as well
fun place to work at, learned a lot
Host/PT Server (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CAAugust 22, 2018
Overall busy days, part time hours, great pay, great managers, holiday parties and exchanges.
I learned it was a great place for customers to socialize.
Pros
discount lunch
Cons
not enough mobility
Fast paced environment with competitive pay
Waiter (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 20, 2018
Gyu-kaku is a great restaurant overall when it comes to food, however if you are working there you may start off with only receiving 50% of your tips for several months. I'd recommend looking into this prior to applying.
Pros
Discount Lunch
Cons
Competitive pay
Your job title will be up to how well you do o scores
Server (Current Employee) –  Canoga Park, CAAugust 14, 2018
It can be fun but very very stressful and hard but you have I be fast and do your job to 120% it takes a lot of effort and the type of coustomer we get are very very needy so it gets very demanding for a minimum wage job
Pros
After you work with the company for a year they will offer you health insurance oucan get fro them.
Cons
A lot of rules and needyness from both coustomer and company