H&M Employee Reviews

Found 2,284 reviews matching the search See all 5,409 reviews
A great job for students not a place for someone looking for a career
Customer Service Bilingual Agent (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 20, 2018
At 300+ workers, you're just another number
Consistent IT issues result in poor customer service
Terrible recruitment both at CSC and in store ( hired are primarily between the ages of 18-25) not a place for someone looking to make this a career, parents, or someone looking to advance with the company on a larger scale.
Treated like children: phones are not allowed.
Constantly micromanaged by power hungry staff
we believe in people slogan when 99% of the people who worked there including leadership, fails to even smile at you.
different schedule everyday with a site open from 7am to midnight 7 days a week.
Pros
great medical, dental, and vision benefits
Cons
inconsistent schedule, poor management, terrible work environment
Stressful work environment, mediocre management not properly training assistant managers
Department Supervisor (Current Employee) –  MDJanuary 17, 2019
Started out as a great place to work with great benefits, but the people were the deal breaker. Generally people fresh out of high school so the drama is obnoxious and tiresome over time. I love the amount of paid time off I had, but working in a stressful environment with little teamwork really set the tone daily, which inevitably made me want to move forward and progress in a different field of work.
Pros
Work/Life balance, paid vacation time, opportunities for quick advancement, opportunities for quick raises and the pay is great
Cons
The people you work under
Don’t think this will be long term
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 16, 2019
The company has great values, but the people at the top could care less about the people in stores. People who’ve committed there lives for 10+ years never get developed, they string you along, pay increase is a JOKE, district team talks about everyone-very unprofessional, inappropriate work culture. Overall it’s where your dreams go to die. Don’t waste your time with petty adults that act like children.
Pros
Only the benefits, nothing else.
Cons
Management, district team retaliates if you go to HR, work culture is toxic, managers set unrealistic goals
Helpful yet unforgiving
Sales Advisor- Customer Service/ Team Leader (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 15, 2018
I worked for this company for seven and a half years. I had many challenges. It didn't work out for me career wise but I did appreciate the time, the experiences, and the people I worked with during my time as an employee.

I never thought I would work in a retail job for as long as I did but I did make the best of it and I learned to have patience when dealing with the public. Management was a big challenge while being an employee. The high job turnover made for inconsistent instruction and often left the workers to figure things out independently.

Workplace culture was good for the most part. Age differences between employees and employees with seniority as opposed to new hires (etc. Managers) presented a challenging work environment.

Hardest part of the job was knowing I was a good reliable asset and was still being passed over for a promotion.

Most enjoyable part was having staff and managers rely on me because of my work ethic and knowledge.
Pros
Meeting New People, Opportunity, Career
Cons
Growth, Work Scheduling, Favortism
No Thank You
VISUAL MANAGER (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 8, 2018
The beginning of my career at H&M was very exhilarating. I was constantly challenged by being sent to several store openings, offered to travel for the company and even got to meet talent from around the world. As time went on I was given false promises of promotion under the guise of "waiting for an open position" and i began to watch as people were hired externally for the same positions in which I was being vetted for and promised time and time again.
Pros
Travel, Health Benefits
Cons
NO upward growth, false promises from upper management. Downsizing.
Favoritism, constant changes, poor raises
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  New York StateSeptember 7, 2018
District team was not qualified for their jobs, didn’t follow the “ values” of the company. Only the favorites got promoted! If you were straightforward as it states in the values they resented it! Raises for management were insulting. After many years, workload kept increasing, support from upper management decreased. Rarely saw the “ one team” value outside of the store. Only thing helping retention was vacation and wellness time!
Pros
Vacation time
Cons
Raises were minuscule, workload kept increasing, district team unqualified and didn’t communicate in a professional manner or support stores
Great benefits, questionable management
DISTRICT FACILITIES MANAGER (Current Employee) –  USADecember 9, 2018
H&M is a fast-paced, Swedish fast-fashion clothing retailer that values diversity in staff and aims to be the number one fashion destination in the world. Management is all over the place. Some managers are good, some are not. At the corporate level, big changes are often made without considering the impact on employees. H&M has strong values, but fall short in following them. Management is not straight forward with employees. Information is withheld from employees quite regularly at all levels. They often side with customers over employees no matter who is at fault. Like most large corporations, they will yield to any public pressure in the name of public relations. Benefits are outstanding. Paid holidays and birthday. Health insurance is phenomenal. Salary is good at the management level. Store level pay is not as competitive as it used to be. The most difficult part of H&M is dealing with constant changes. The most enjoyable part of the job is the autonomy of the position and engaging with a friendly staff.
Pros
Great benefits and salary. Very diverse and friendly staff.
Cons
Company is not always straight forward. Constant changes.
Great benefits, Hard to advance
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  OhioAugust 12, 2018
H&M has amazing values and benefits, but there is a major challenge with advancement. During my personal experience, the District Manager would hardly touch base with the staff. There was a huge problem with associates and management only getting recognized when they were friends with the right people. If you made a mistake, it stuck with you, no matter how corrected the mistake was. I am a firm believer that people work for people, and that was the ultimate reason I found a different opportunity.
Pros
Amazing benefits
Cons
Friendships help advancement opportunities, rather then professionalism and results
Work life balance does not exit.... micro management from district team at its best...
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 11, 2018
I use to love my job as a department manager, watching people grow and develop drives me. The hours are terrible for managers, they claim you will have work life balance and only work 40 hours ha ha! They fail to mention you will close, then turn around to open. They give you a base amount of hours that the store can not physically run on, but district will call you and say how you cannot go over cause you need to make your SPH! They have an unrealistic job load for the hours they give.They want you to give feedback, but yet will not hold team members accountable that do not follow the values.... the environment has become toxic. It use to be a great place, but not any longer a place I want to be at....
Pros
Benefits and pays well
Cons
Hours, work environment
Great illusion but terrible company
Manager (Former Employee) –  Burlington, NJNovember 11, 2018
When I 1st started at H&M I was so excited about the values they had and the people I met. But over time I realized all the inefficiencies as well as the phoniness of the people. They talk about the values but they are busy using favoritism and internal power to get what they want and promote who they want. Management regularly ignores major internal issues like lack of training, promoting unqualified employees, discrimination as well as safety all to get their numbers and make the powerful look good. In the end, it’s a big mess and a wonder how they continue to do business.
Pros
Discounts, benefits
Cons
nepotism, unsafe and unpleasant work environment, -poor management
Don’t work here
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 27, 2018
Okay listen, I really wanted to like this company & I was excited about working here. Everything was cool when I got hired, until I found out about their policies. First of all, it’s competitive pay with barely any advances in pay. I worked for about 3 years and I’ve only got a dollar raise. There is a new hire at our store who is making more an hour than I was. They don’t give a lot of hours and cut shifts if they aren’t making enough money, and half the time don’t reschedule you. If you work holidays, only full time workers get time & a half. Part timers only get a % of the hours they worked that week ONLY if you work your previous and following shifts around the holiday. Almost every employee at the store I work hates their job. The managers don’t really anything boost morale around the store. It’s tiring.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
wages, management
Stressful, nepotistic
Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Farmington, UTOctober 12, 2018
Managers are openly nepotistic and gossip to SA's about other workers and colleagues. It's common to be promised on being promoted or getting a raise with no follow through on the managers part. My most recent manager refused to give pay raises to any employee, while she made (while managing a low volume store) $17-18,000 more than other managers working at higher volume stores in the area. Be ready to be overworked, but fired for being 3 minutes late, your loyalty wont mean much to them. HUGE turnover at any location from what I noticed ( I worked at 3 different locations during my employment). Be ready to clopen: close at 10 or 11pm and be back at 6 or 7am for truck. No consistent schedule, lots of tired and stuck in their way employees. Working there was kind of like being back in high school with how dramatic and catty people are. They are terrible to customers, too. Only recently has H&M pushed better customer service, a little too late.
Pros
25% off, insurance, Pto
Cons
Horrible hours, nepotism
Great company, great values, fantastic benefits
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  VirginiaJune 26, 2018
I absolutely enjoy working with H&M. The company as a whole really cares about its people and makes sure that everyone is paid very well for their role and that everyone has every opportunity to advance if they so choose and if they prove themselves. H&M is the leading fashion retailer in the world, and they make a point to ensure that their team is up-to-date on company changes and real-world changes that could effect the business.
Though often very fast paced and challenging due to increased costs and lower brick-and-mortar customer engagement, H&M generally does a good job of providing for its employees.
Pros
Great benefits. Work/life balance. Opportunity of advancement
Cons
Recently lower hours due to lack of sales/social standing.
Its not worth it unless you live for the drama.
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, NYNovember 27, 2018
I was hired in a brand new store, which is exciting. You have all new people to meet and learn with. I was hired part time and given part time benifits. After 2 weeks i had full time hours and part time benefits. You have to work in the same store/position for a year until you can even start training to move up (which is entirely up to your store manager regarding whether you're ready or not). Also if you do move up, you have to relocate.
Get ready to deal with a TON of unnessecary drama and attitude, even from your managers. Store manager would impose his personal standards on us and get angry if we dont live up to them. Coworkers are too gabby instead of getting work done. No holiday pay, RARE bonuses (we hit goal and were told if we did there would be a bonus, which was not received).
If you can handle all of this, have fun. I wish you luck. You will need a lot of patience.
If this isnt your type of scene, STAY AWAY.
Pros
Pay, Pto, benefits, hour lunch after 7+ hr shift
Cons
Management is immature and self centered, Drama, lies from management and corporate, constant turnover
Senior Management is incompetent and management overall is very inexperienced.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 24, 2018
If you are an experienced Store Manager who likes to take ownership of your work and drive your business through your entrepreneurial spirit, this is NOT the place for you. Senor Management micro-manages your store, and do not trust your leadership and empower you to make decisions that drive your business. You will feel defeated all the time.
This company sounds great on paper and does offer amazing benefits, but the juvenile managers have lead the company's operations into a tailspin that has lead to massive inventory issues.
Nepotism and Favoritism guide the opportunities, and just stepping inside the Support Offices feels like being in an exclusive high school, filled with entitled wealthy "kids". Diversity and inclusion outside of the store environment continues to be a major struggle.
Benefits
Cons
Micro-management, Lack of Diversity and Inclusion, Lack of Empowerment
Fast-paced environment with a lot of personalities
VISUAL MERCHANDISER (Current Employee) –  Escondido, CAMay 24, 2018
This is a wonderful company with a lot of career opportunity. The store culture relies heavily on the teams that are put together. Sometimes it works, other times there are growing pains. Overall, I had a wonderful experience working for the company. I learned so much about management, brand standards, sales analytics, work-life balance, and working relationships. I value everything I've learned working for H&M. The people are wonderful and the job is never boring.
Pros
Benefits, pay, people, career development.
Cons
Management, stress, communication
Values are not Valued
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJune 11, 2018
This company really was amazing for a long time but somehow along the way it seemed like living the values just wasn't enough. People got promotions based on favoritism and the growth seemed to just stop for myself because I didn't want to keep moving around.

The pay is really competitive but for amount of work and stress on a daily basis it just wasn't enough. They preached about work/life balance but that really isn't a thing. The scheduling was all over the place and planning your life a year in advance is just not realistic. This job is terrible if you have a family or pets. There's basically no way to plan out scheduled anything with them.

Customers can be absolutely insane over a $5 shirt. Working for this company you will meet a lot of amazing people and friends but you will also see just how awful the vast majority really can be.
Pros
paid vacation and sick time
Cons
no work/life balance
It’s a a company to grow with
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  North Riverside, ILJanuary 2, 2019
Honestly H&M can be a great place to work in. They have good benifits they Pay well and majority of management is great, and sales associates too! If you wanted to move up it wasn’t hard to. You just had to ask show them you cared and were interested and they will take in consideration in the position you want to apply for. I had a great time there only problem was the location I was in. We had so many problems with the mall but overall they’re good
Pros
Great pay, great benefits, good management, teamwork
Cons
Short hours after the holidays
Pretty fun company, alot expected from staff
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 6, 2018
Highlight of my retail career with a good management team from top to bottom. Clear expectations with support given frequently. Culture is the best part with a flat level organization structure it allows for extreme growth on both ends.
Official response from H&M
December 21, 2018

We are glad you are enjoying the H&M culture! We value all your hard work and dedication!

fast paced company with unreasonable expectations
Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 12, 2018
The company culture is ever changing, what does not change is the unrealistic expectations of coming in line with hours usage and picture perfect garment presentation. For what they expect and for what is expected of managers is most of the time unrealistic. It is stressfull and the amount of product is unpredictable. Aside from the hardships, the best part is the teams comradery. It is great to always work with people that bring the teamwork and spirit to the store.
Pros
benefits and compensation
Cons
unrealistic expectations.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at H&M. Our community is ready to answer.

51.7K
41.9K
31.2K

Ratings from women

3.5InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

4.2Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight