H&M Employee Reviews

Impossible to Grow
Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 25, 2018
Bottomless promises and inconstant training that lead you to believe you will earn a higher position. Overall poor management, from both locations that I worked at. If you're looking for a job where you don't want to grow with the company, apply.
Pros
Hour lunches, fair compensation
Cons
No follow through
Not a lot of advance
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Roseville, MIMay 24, 2018
I have been work at H&M for almost 10 years and it has changed a lot from when I first started, some good and some are bad. It use to very fast advance to grow with the company but now not so much.
Fast-paced environment with a lot of personalities
VISUAL MERCHANDISER (Current Employee) –  Escondido, CAMay 24, 2018
This is a wonderful company with a lot of career opportunity. The store culture relies heavily on the teams that are put together. Sometimes it works, other times there are growing pains. Overall, I had a wonderful experience working for the company. I learned so much about management, brand standards, sales analytics, work-life balance, and working relationships. I value everything I've learned working for H&M. The people are wonderful and the job is never boring.
Pros
Benefits, pay, people, career development.
Cons
Management, stress, communication
Lots of opportunities to learn a
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 24, 2018
A typical day involves customer service and store upkeep. At this job I have learned that it is important to be organized in your list of tasks to do for the day because order matters when it comes to the presentation of the store. I also learned that positive customer experience leads to a purchase and repeat customers. Managers always give a run down to all employees and make sure your're up to speed on the goings-on within the store. The hardest part of the job is customer service and catering to every customers need. The most enjoyable part is when customers engage in positive conversation with you as an employee.
Life at h&m
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMay 23, 2018
Terrible experience. Managers that don't care about your personal life. Have to deal with 50-60 other sales associates. Hard to keep store in good condition. Music is annoying.
Pros
Air Conditioning
Cons
Horrible management
learning opportunities
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Yonkers, NYMay 23, 2018
a typical day at work would be the the check in of the daily routines and aim.i learned the importance of customer service, they helped to enhance my work ethic.
Pros
dresscode
Cons
growing opportunities
Great Place To Work
DM (Current Employee) –  Estero, FLMay 23, 2018
Great company values, team oriented, room for growth, great training, very supportive. H&M believes in people and offer great benefits for all employees at every level
Manger
Manager of Men's Department (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 22, 2018
The store manger ran the store by giving out compliments to her friends/co-workers that she considered friends. She was had issue with male Management and being challenged.
Pros
Cons
Poor place to work
Productive & Great Employees
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 22, 2018
A lot of customers would come daily and sometimes goals weren`t met but some managers helped better then others. the employee base was a great amount of staff and hard working. most times promotions were not given to the appropriate crowd.
In the beginning everything was great...
SALES ADVISOR (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 21, 2018
but, I don't know if it was members from corporate that changed some things, procedures, and policies but some of them were unnecessary but overall it is a good company to work for. But at the end of the day it is a retail store. So, if your store is not making enough money your hours will be cut.
Pros
oppurtunity to grow within the company, gain expericence, good pay.
Cons
*if your store not making enough money, your hours will get cut.*
Part Time Sales Advisor
PT Sales Advisor / Sales Coach (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 20, 2018
Management constantly stays in the office all day. You hardly see them working on the floor so it's hard to communicate with what is going on because you never see them. Some sales advisors care about their job and others don't. I've worked at H&M for a year and a half and I feel like it's really hard to move up in the company. Our store in particular there are several advisors that are stuck in a advisor role because management says they aren't ready to be promoted even though they are developed fully as an advisor. SM definitely plays favorites and only tells you what you want to hear instead of the truth. It's really frustrating trying to get the help or promotion that you deserve. You get paid decent but when you go over and above your job description I don't think you get the recognition you deserve; a lot of things go unnoticed.
Pros
vacation, health and wellness, decent pay
Cons
hour cuts, bad management, staff doesn't care, attitudes
Overall a really great place to work
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NVMay 20, 2018
Sales Advisor - management took preferences into account. For example if you like working a certain department over others, they would let you go where you're more comfortable. They listened to opinions and let you participate in things you were interested in.
Pros
Great teamwork
Cons
Short breaks
Excellent employer
US Logistics Quality Control Manager (Current Employee) –  Burlington, NJMay 20, 2018
H&M is an incredible place to work. You have the ability to learn and grow. They encourage you to develop in the company. Work/life balance is strongly encouraged. The management is understanding.
Pros
Work/life balance
Great Place to Work
DEPARTMENT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  MarylandMay 19, 2018
I enjoyed being a department manager at H & M. Great company values and a fun work environment. Store manager wasn't always conscious of how she treated others.
Pros
discount, great values
Cons
lack of visual help
Productive and learning workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 19, 2018
I learned new things everyday and I can say that I grew a lot in H&M then I did in other jobs that I've had. A typical day at H&M is mysterious because you never know what type of customer you're going to get or store task that you have to complete. I actually learned how to work well with others and give my opinions on group activities or what ways we can met our sale goal. Management is not really management to me, and what i mean by that is that my managers act more like sales associates. The only hard part about working in H&M is picking up shifts when there's no hours to give out. the most enjoyable part about working in H&M is when my whole department is at work with me and we knock out everything and get the job done.
not good
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 18, 2018
biweekly pay is the worst. if you work at a store that's well known in the district then youll have a lot of store visits and the managers get over bearing.
Fantastic Work Environment
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 17, 2018
Working for H&M is very enjoyable. Staff is always friendly and managerial staff always helped with any concerns or needs. Would recommend to anyone who wants to start in retail.
Fun workplace.
Brand Representative (Former Employee) –  Manchester, CTMay 16, 2018
I didn't work here for very long but it was easygoing. Every day I was remembered on what I needed to do and what needed to be done so that would help a lot with organizing my everyday tasks.
Very Professional and Diverse Company
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXMay 16, 2018
Became more advanced with both customer service and cash handling experience. There are many duties to do throughout the shift. Everyone is very nice and there are many opportunities to grow.
Benefits
Cons
Short Hours
Great place to work!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCMay 15, 2018
H&M is an amazing Company and it was a pleasure to work there- the people are amazing and dealing with different cultures is eye-opening.
There is, however, a huge difference in where the Swedish culture does not blend with the American culture, and that falls with the training of new managers-
Overall, The Company is amazing and I still shop regularly.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at H&M. Our community is ready to answer.

51.4K
41.6K

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

4.2Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight