H&M Employee Reviews

31K
Found 2,052 reviews matching the search See all 4,819 reviews
Simple retail job
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJuly 19, 2018
Teamwork was neccessary by also being an ordinary day helping customers with what their looking for and also transactions on the register as well. Restocking and remodeling the store with clothes
sales associate
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJuly 18, 2018
management was unorganized and did not see eye to eye with other managers. Put a lot of pressure on workers. co workers were fine to work with.
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Waldorf, MDJuly 17, 2018
I love working at H & M. I was able to develop my skills when it came to customer service. I was able to delve deeper into fashion as a whole. Giving me the power to spread my wings.
Eh
Part Time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJuly 17, 2018
I was left underwhelmed with the company, it seems as if they focus on improving the people they have favorited rather than everyone as a whole, I worked 12 hour weeks....that's three four hour days and a $150 paycheck.
Great Pay and Advancement for promotion
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 16, 2018
At H&M, you get what you give. Things are changing. Positions are being cut. Job descriptions are changing. Visuals are doing all the work. Managers are basically overpaid sales advisors.
Pros
Pay & Benefits
Cons
Work life Balance doesn't exist anymore
Decent Workplace
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Oak Brook, IL 60523July 16, 2018
I'm not looking to work there any longer. But I suggest to anyone working there you only benefit if you move up with the company and they do tend to play favorites. Also the pay sucks.
Had a great year, Learned a lot.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brookfield, WIJuly 16, 2018
H&M was a great place to work and learn about retail as a whole. Met lots of different unique people and we always had a really great time working together.
Hit & Miss
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAJuly 16, 2018
The company manifesto is wonderful, full of inspiring ideologies and quotes but in reality working for the company was a nightmare. My managers were obstinate and refused to allow us breaks and we were nearly punished for going to the bathroom. If anything was left on the floor or left in the lockers there would be a meeting or a notice posted and we would all be barraged by an infuriated, screaming man who's soul job was to rearrange the mens and teen department constantly while not aiding to any other aspect of the store. I was with given 50 or 5 hours a week with fairly anything in-between. The overall job was surprisingly grueling and deteriorated both myself and those around me. Our location went through 6 managers in the year I was there, the store went through employees faster than a cat in water. It was one of the worst experiences in my life.
Things could be much better.
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Murray, UTJuly 13, 2018
I've been with the company 3 years on the 19th, I've enjoyed working with H&M but things have gone down the hole lately. Between 3 GM's two were great while the third doesn't realize his words, actions, and attitude are awful. He thinks he is giving constructive feedback but its quite hurtful and rude.
The company itself is incredible and wonderful but the managment is terrible. Things could be better if the managers and staff above the sales associates. There is far too much favoritism going on in this company that it brings it down all together. If this problem is fixed then I can guarentee things would be better for sure.

Although the typical day is alright, doing the same thing over and over again becomes quite exhausting and boring, you grow tired of repeating the same duties as well.

Working at H&M has taught me a great deal of teamwork and being able to give and take feedback, they've helped me grow and work on my customer service, and my ability to handle harsh situations.

The work culture has all around been quite friendly and postive for me the last 3 wonderful years being there.

The hardest past of the job is dealing with upset customers and or not having enough people on the floor to help with duties during a day's shift.

The best part and most enjoyable thing about H&M is their way of being a family. Though there are many things that need worked on, I've always loved and cared for those people I've worked with.
Pros
The discounts
Cons
Store managers
Underpaid, Poor Values & Stressful.
Sales Advisor/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 12, 2018
The management was very poor and inexperienced with their responsibilities and lacked in their people skills, most of the equipment we had to work with did not work properly because the company is too cheap to replace their broke down supplies; I always had to call the manager to bring supplies needed at the register when they should already be stocked up at the registers every morning. H&M will schedule you to close and open the very next day on many occasions and do not consider or give their employees a say when it comes to how projects are done. The Team Leaders/Managers will micro manage everything you do and want you to do everything exactly how they would do it and don't trust that you can get the job done on your own capabilities.
Pros
25% Employee Discount
Cons
Working for H&M
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 12, 2018
H&m is a very diverse company that I love working for. They pride themselves on constant improvement so they are always looking for better ways of working.
Managment blows but the work is easy
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  ColoradoJuly 12, 2018
Pros: Easy stress free work. Cashier work is easy, folding cloths is easy, the fitting room is easy. The job is great b/c the work is relaxing and easy. The hours are semi flexible, you could ask for different hours and they will try.

Cons: The managers personalities are coarse and condesending. They don't seem like regular people. They are stiffs, salty, are b!tchy when small things go wrong. You'll be new and/or ignorant of something and they'll be d!cks to you. They want so many rules. Also, putting cloths from the dressing room in to the store for display is awful.
Pros
Easy work. No stress, Cool co-workers (excluding managers)
Cons
Managers treat workers like children. It's like elementary school, rules upon rules, limited freedom, no music, no swearing
H&M Review
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CAJuly 12, 2018
At first it was great but the hillandale san Mateo location was getting to be unreal. There are 4 supervisors and one manager...the manager was so so on the job and only 2 supervisors were fair the other too didnt work at all. There is favoritism, seniority, poor communication, and there is no flexibility whether you have kids, two jobs, or school. I'm not joking.
Pros
Paid vacation and sick time
Cons
Poor communication, favouritism, and disrespectful behaviour towards employees
H&M Customer Service Center - Team Leader
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Orland Park, ILJuly 11, 2018
*Typical day at work consisted of reading through emails regarding site news, new ways of working, updates. Going to meetings, meeting with agents, pulling metrics, doing monthly progresses with my agents, and following up with anyone who had time and attendance or policy/performance issues.
*I learned a lot about myself and others. I also learned how people work in an office setting compared to an actual store setting.
*Management was very clique-ish and at times didn't seem totally confident in the messages they were selling or ways of working.
*The hardest part of the job was dealing with agents who obviously didn't want to be there and figuring out a way to motivate them. Also, those who consistently had time and attendance or policy/performance issues made it difficult to handle.
*The most enjoyable part was the people I met and created relationships with.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Management was not transparent.
very good
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  North Arlington, NJJuly 10, 2018
the most important working for a place is to be happy what are you doing and reflects what are you going to be in next few years or months to make the difference.
Work
FULL TIME SALES ADVISOR (Current Employee) –  Glendale, CAJuly 8, 2018
Management micromanages
Their hard workers are still in the same positions
It takes too long to be promoted.
There is a lot of favoritism
They put the customer first before the employee
Pros
health benefits
Cons
its hard to get promoted within the company
Co-workers made the long hours bearable.
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 8, 2018
It's a great place to work at first. H and M pay's about 3 dollars above the minimum when you've been hired. But if your an employee that has been in the company for over 1 year, they'll only bump your pay raise by 5 cents every year and once the minimum wage is raised by the state, you're stuck getting minimum wage.
Pros
401k. Stock investments. Co-workers.
Cons
They don't care for employees that have seniority.
Fun Place to Work
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 7, 2018
I loved H&M so much! Great place to work with great benefits. You can tell that the company really cares for its employees. I always felt like there was opportunity for advancement and that the company really wanted you to succeed.
Its all about growth
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 5, 2018
Though there are many obsaclses the people that work for h&m make it worth working there. The job culture is like no other. The hardest part of the job is limited resources.
Benefits
Cons
Payroll
Overall
Visual Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 5, 2018
H&M is a great company to work for. Although I do not agree with the direction they are going. I feel they are more concerned with cutting hours than the maintenance of the store.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at H&M. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.5InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

4.2Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight