H&R Block Employee Reviews

Found 8,735 reviews matching the search See all 9,367 reviews
choose not comment
Senior Tax Analyst (Former Employee) –  Rialto, CASeptember 19, 2018
I choose not to provide any comments at this time because I have been hurt very badly by the management.

No comment

I loved working with the clients and co workers. We all became like family because we worked well together. I had clients who were third generation return clients.
I enjoyed taking the classes every year. If I had taken the same hours at college, I could have had a PHD.
Pros
Clients
Cons
District manager
would not reurn ever
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 19, 2018
just not for me, different management and different issues and no one to ask question about the problem. too much favorites in different offices and over all.
Productive environment
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Haughton, LASeptember 18, 2018
Free paced, helpful management. My coworkers were always helpful as well. Pay was decent and they were very good about working around my school schedule
It was fun and interesting
Tax Associate - Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Webb City, MO 64870September 18, 2018
I enjoyed working here. The people were really nice and always helped you when you needed it. We worked as a team and were always learning new things.
Productive and fun working place.
Sr Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 18, 2018
I would like a chance to get my job back if possible. The environment was great for me, I enjoyed the challenge of the job itself. I would very much recommend anyone to apply to H&R Block.
Very interesting as to how many people pay to have their taxes down.
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Findlay, OHSeptember 18, 2018
Management was excellent in trying to work with employees hours. She was willing to go that extra mile to assure her team had everything they needed to do their job.
Pros
Meeting all walks of life and their culture.
A learning place
Tax Preparer (Current Employee) –  Elk Grove, CASeptember 18, 2018
The work we do as tax pros require us to do a lot learning before during and after tax season. It's a good place to work as a second job or if you are retired.
Can be great for the right person... has some drawbacks
Tax Advisor (Current Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 18, 2018
More retail oriented than tax oriented.. focused on the low end of the market.. meaning little operational support for field preparers doing higher end business returns. Generally staffed by nice people most of whom try their best. A significant part of the field staff are somewhat insular and not inclined to work with other preparers.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Too retail oriented rather than tax oriented
busy and challenging
Tax Associate (Current Employee) –  Township of Brick, NJSeptember 18, 2018
busy and challenging must take continuing education credits to return but are not paid for by H&R block. no commission during your first year working. Pay was not compatible with level of job
the working area
Senior Tax Specialist (Current Employee) –  New Bern, NCSeptember 18, 2018
it was interesting working for all different types of people and doing their taxes for them and being able to get them a better refund than if they had done it their self.
Pros
working on different tax returns
Cons
the price we charge the client
Not very good work life balance
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Slidell, LASeptember 18, 2018
Great history at H & R Block but the company went public and the management style changed many times over the years. Job function changed from the basis of the company to a sales oriented job.
Pros
Not focused on the basic needs of the client
Cons
Tried to make employees sales assoc. instead of tax professionals
Productive and help the clients anyway possible.
Administrative Asst./Receptionist (Former Employee) –  La Porte, TXSeptember 18, 2018
Opening get all desk sit up for the day. Make coffee and anything opening, payment, check schedule for the day appointment. Answering phone, help clients anyway possible. filing at end of day, keep office clean. make calls to set up appointments. End of day reports. Data entry if needed. When I first started at HR Block in Texas I payroll and assistant to Manager. Staying busy and on top of things and making sure clients are treated like I like to be treated. Love the clients want them to be happy when leave the office. Hardest part is sometimes clients very unhappy and they really don't understand the taxes. So if can reverse how they feel before they leave then I have done my job for the day.
Pros
End of season dinners.
Cons
Season ending
Great learning experience and place to work as long as you have good management
Client Service Professional/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Schofield Barracks, HISeptember 18, 2018
I enjoyed it for the most part, I could’ve had better management but other than that it was a great experience. We weren’t given very much on the job training, but it was easy to catch on for the most part.
Excellent job
Tax Specialist (Current Employee) –  Henderson, NVSeptember 17, 2018
The education that H&R Block provides is excellent. The workplace is supportive and everyone works as a team. H&R Block is a great seasonal job. I worked days, evenings and weekends. I basically worked with people to get their taxes done in the most beneficial manner.
it was an outstanding place to work I learned alot of things working there
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  washington dcSeptember 17, 2018
learning to deal with all sorts of people as well as working in a fast place environment it help enhance my skills with customer service and gave me great learning experience that I could take along with me in my next career filled.
A fun and fast paced place to work.
Bilingual Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 17, 2018
The company values their employees and does its best to invest in their future. They have paid training for all their employees and have very flexible hours. they will work around your schedule. They encourage the employees to advance and promote within. It's a fast paced place to work at during tax season, but it's fun and exiting.
Love working for Block
Tax Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bossier City, LASeptember 17, 2018
I love working for H & R Block!!! Between the flexible schedule, available training to increase levels, and support from management is great!! I just wish I could work year round!!!
Ok seasonal
Customer Service Professional (Former Employee) –  Tigard, ORSeptember 17, 2018
Good relaxed position for the extra money to pay for gift during holidays. Just needed a little extra money and this helped out in a crunch. Was an easy job to learn and maintain.
H&R Block is only valuable for experience
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Marine City, MISeptember 17, 2018
I learned a lot from working at H&R Block. Marketing for new clients, getting clients to sign up for additional services like Loans Advancements, Debit Accounts, Etc...

However, unless you work there over a decade, you wont make anything. The managers will get bonuses from the numbers, but you will earn very little commission, again unless you have been there a decade.

Be prepared for the managers and other tax preparers to take easy returns and dump difficult tax prep on newbies. Then they turn more clients for money/commission and dump the liability from the IRS on new preparers who are not supposed to even take these on.

Forget help from management or the other tax preparers, they are busy with their own clients. they are doing the easiest clients and doing like 5 returns and hour, while new people are getting ridiculously difficult tax returns that take hours. They just schedule them for you and reschedule your clients for themselves.

H&R Block give its workers very little for the effort the tax preparers put in. And you get to pay for the training to work for them.
Overall, your Beginning few years you get paid better at a fast food chain and they don't expect you to find the customers.

Unless your a housewife that uses it as extra money, or an Accounting Student looking for some experience. Don't bother with H&R Block.

It takes years to earn decent pay from H&R Block.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Worst pay, worst company I have worked for.
Seasonal Work
Client Service Professional and Tax Specialist (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCSeptember 16, 2018
H&R Block, for me, was a great part-time, seasonal job. I worked with some wonderful co-workers. I worked evenings and weekends and basically worked with people to get their taxes done in the most beneficial manner.
Pros
Meeting and helping people understand their taxes.
Cons
Not full-time, year round.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at H&R Block. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2
54.7K
42.7K
31.4K

Diversity score

63out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at H&R Block.

Powered by Comparably