H&R Block Employee Reviews

Found 9,174 reviews matching the search See all 9,836 reviews
A place for experience
Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 20, 2018
The real benefit of working for this company is the ability to gain experience, should you receive a full time position. I became a part of the leadership team and received training from time to time and valuable experience to go with my degree. There was only $1500 tuition reimbursement which did not pay for one of my classes so the experience was my main focal point. The management team I worked for was great and easy to get along with. However, I cannot stress just how important it is to notice the amount of layoffs the company does. I, myself, fell victim around a year after my promotion. Hopefully the new CEO does a better job.
Pros
Location, Management, and Culture
Cons
Layoffs, Compensation, and Uncertainty of Future
great seasonal work, or based on the hours you are available
Customer Service, Tax Pro, Office Manager training (Former Employee) –  El Cajon, CAJanuary 7, 2019
Taxes, you can support the office as a Customer Service Professional being one half of the customer experience, or be a Tax Professional doing peoples taxes and being cutting edge of the changes and the best in the industry. H&R Block is so practiced and polished as a company, there are HUGE nationwide and have it broken down to region, then district, then area in the district... every aspect is covered and if you want to work one day a week they accommodate, if you want full time it can be accommodated depending on needs. Management is great (local level) they are supportive, understanding and at times strict, but never waiving from company policy. I would recommend the work to anyone who enjoys an office atmosphere and wants to benefit from the seasonal work situation
Pros
people, work culture, big business
Cons
pay, benefits, scheduling
Employee
Tax Professional (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 5, 2019
I relocated here in Tampa, FL in July of 2016 from Cincinnati, Ohio after a very long career with the Internal Revenue Service after the untimely death of my husband. I applied for a job at H&R Block took the training and was hired and started the job as a Tax Associate in Jan.2017-April 2018 as a seasonal employe at 9.00 per hour. This is my third year and I am now an Enrolled Agent. A typical day at work is tax preparation, taxpayer planning and addressing other needs of the taxpayer. I learned that as a federal employee for so many years that actually working for the other side is unimaginable! Management was great no complains! The hardest part of the job was not being able to use my expertises that I learned as a tax professional unless you have that type of certification! The most enjoyable part of the job was my co-workers and working as a team!
Pros
Co-Workers, Managers and Clients
Cons
Salary
busy pace,enjoyable people to work with caring,pleasing clients is the goal
Client Service Professional/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXAugust 30, 2018
working with walk-in clients and appointments, fast pace, staff friendly. Always enjoyable when clients leave in a good mood.service to all culture. The employees would go the extra mile in helping others, setting times that could b available to please clients.
Nice company to work for. Management concerned, office staff, helping each other. flexible schedules. staff friendly. the hardest part people coming in with attitudes and u trying to please them, it was done. job security for the season.
salary good. Training provided, everyone working together to accomplish the goal of pleasing all clients before leaving.
Pros
flexible hrs, friendly staff. learning experience, great training on the job
Cons
times when hrs. would go begun closing times. Pleasing some clients that come in with attitudes.
It is a great place to work in the office I am in anyway.
FIRST YEAR TAX PROFESSIONAL (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIAugust 10, 2018
My coworkers at H & R Block are amazing about helping out when needed, as far as answering questions and showing me how to do things I am not sure of. They are very encouraging. A typical day at Block; make the coffee, run the reports for the day. Put money in the drawer and turn my computer on and pull up Appointment manager and DNA. Then I wait for my appointments to start coming in to get their taxes done. Management is almost non-existant, as the manager has two offices to take care of. I've learned how to do taxes and recognize different things that affect a client's refund, like what they claim on their W-4's.The workplace culture is very busy most days, but calm most of the time. The hardest part of the job is unhappy clients, but if I keep a calm demeanor, usually the client stays calm. The most enjoyable part of the job is, happy clients and their praise and my coworkers and their helpfulness.
Pros
Cheerful and helpful
Seasonal professional environment
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAOctober 16, 2018
The management supports its employees and strives to do right by their customers. Adequate training is given to all employees, and it is up to the employee to decide how much they are willing to learn. Everyone is given the same opportunity for advancement. If you want to learn all about taxes and people I highly recommend this company. The culture tends to be positive.
Pros
Over time you will build a client e and have increased tax knowledge.
Cons
Work is seasonal and it doesn't pay like it used to.
Selling products first priority
Tax Preparer (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IASeptember 1, 2018
It's great for learning taxes. But, you are expected to sell their products and it appears the company puts that over becoming a good tax preparer. I did not know I was expected to be a salesman. Decided not to continue working there. A friend works for H&R Block (not in the same area I worked) and gave good recommendation as a work place. But tax preparers in the area I worked were not friendly, did not want to help me at times, and management was rigid. Very competitive work environment.
Pros
Good second job
Cons
compensation plan breeds competition between staff
It was a tight knit group of workers
Client Service Professional (Former Employee) –  Centereach, NYNovember 27, 2018
Everyone was very warm and welcoming especially the managers. There was a lot of comradery amongst the different offices and friendly competitions between them were frequent. But beyond my immediate supervisors there was a lot of micromanagement and office politics. Overall a Good experience for me but not everyone felt the same.
Pros
friendly environment, room for advancement
Challanging and intresting
tax training specialist (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 2, 2019
You you mainly answer phones and help tax preparers continue their education in the form of online classes. You would assist the in the form of navigating through the website for certain needs or by creating, editing or deleting courses. The management was helpful with anything you asked about. The workplace was laid back and friendly. The hardest part about the job was learning the different way to assist the caller over the phone and understand what needs they wanted assistance with. I enjoyed pretty much everything about the job it had great hours, great employees and I liked the challenge it provided.
Pros
Challanging work environment
Cons
Job was seasonal and no room for advancement
Good place to work for the right fit
Office Manager I, II & III (Current Employee) –  Visalia, CADecember 12, 2018
Good place for those that fit the company culture.

I learned how to prepare individual tax returns. The management is fair and the workplace culture is good.

The hardest part about the job is the amount of education required for a seasonal job.

The job itself is the most enjoyable thing in that you help so many people.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Seasonal employment
Good overall organization for people that want to work hard and having a winning attitude.
Franchise Consultant (Former Employee) –  Shawnee, KSOctober 14, 2018
H&R Block was a great place to work in my particular area of the business. Compensation was fair and most of the people I worked with were terrific. The only thing people need to understand before hand is that this is not a 40 hour week job. The demand on time is far more than that and requires a great deal of time away from home. For those reasons it might night be a good life work balance for many. The job did allow for some flexibility in work days part of the year but you must be a self starter and be able to work independently to get the job done.
Pros
Flexibility in work time. Nice people and ability to be rewarded for success
Cons
Long hours and much time on the road away from home.
I enjoy it!
Office Manager II (Current Employee) –  Pearl, MSNovember 11, 2018
I really enjoy working in my office as we are a good team. But the peak hours are intense and the non-peak can be stressful in trying to get clients to come in.
Marketing is very time consuming and stressful. It pays to get to know people as they are looking for someone to trust. They also want low prices so it is a balance to get paid what you deserve, yet not scare them off.
Our check and counter checks are constant to ensure accuracy, which can be very stressful. New software, new tax laws, changes in client financial info, clients who procrastinated, etc. Make for some hectic times. People are in it for a career, and there is ample opportunity to make progress. The train UK ng and testing can be intense. However, the people who have worked there long, love their clients and work hard, and are helpful also to their colleagues. It's a team effort to make a store thrive. Which can pay off in year end bonuses.
It's not easy, but your people get along, great!
Pros
Bonuses, training, discounts
Cons
Peak hours are intense, goals hard to meet
Good place to start learning but no opportunity for growth in terms of career.
Senior Tax Analyst (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAJanuary 15, 2019
For tax preparers it is a seasonal job. There are opportunities to work off-season, but the pay goes down to minimum wage and there are limited hours available. Culture depends on the office. If there are new employees , the culture is created within the office. Mangement does not micro manage. Hours are very flexible but if you dont produce tax returns, the pay goes down. You have to take tests every 2 years to be able to be rehired.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
No benefits for seasonal employees. Tax preparers schedule is seasonal, not yearly.
Have enjoyed my years with HRB
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Roseburg, ORNovember 13, 2018
I have worked with HRB for 8+ years. I absolutely love the culture and the structure. Wonderful work/life balance. The only reason I seek other work is for year round work instead of seasonally, and the option of health benefits.
Pros
100% flexibility, work/life balance, professional atmosphere.
Cons
Seasonal.
In a typical day in my position tasks of opening and closing the facility as well as throughout the say including answering phones filing greeting
CSP/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Gallatin, MOOctober 8, 2018
In a typical day in my last position tasks of opening and closing the facility as well as throughout the day including answering phones filing greeting customers appointments
What you learned to have a strong work ethic patience and attention to detail
Management needed to back there office personal
workplace culture: positive workplace
Hardest part of job: Learning the computer system and daily routine and you might work
one hour in three weeks.
Enjoyable part :of job. I met new customers but I also new a lot of customers that came in for tax service. This office was a new business so we started from the ground up getting customers I did a lot of door handouts explaining the options they would have with us doing
their taxes
Pros
I did get my taxes filing free
Cons
never knew how long you was going to work if wasnt busy you would be sent home
A day at work
Master Tax Advisor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 3, 2018
First make sure the office is clean and coffee is made. A huddle begins each shift. Began helping clients.
I learned the difference in empathy and sympathy.
Management opportunities are available.
Multicultural environment
The hardest part of my job sometimes long hours without a break.
The most enjoyable part of the job is customer service
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Seasonal, no benefits
Educational, sales driven company, with advancement opportunities
CSP/Receptionist and Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Wilson, NCSeptember 28, 2018
I really enjoyed the work I did for H&R Block. I worked there every year during tax season and started out as a receptionist and worked up to being a professional tax preparer myself. I had to take a tax class every year during the off season as a requirement to be employed under H&R Block. I liked all of my co-workers and had the best manager anyone could possibly ask for. The only negative thing about this job was that it was seasonal so it wasn't a year round paycheck.
Pros
Educational, room for advancement within the company, good work environment, great manager and co-workers
Cons
Seasonal job, no healthcare benefits
Great environment in my office
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Merritt Island, FLSeptember 8, 2018
I've worked at H&R Block as a receptionist for the past 27 years and plan to go back next tax season. My office is filled with tax pros who are very willing to help new tax pros. We all work as a team and support each other. My manager is amazing and will work with receptionists and tax pros with regard to the hours that they can work. She has been working with me on cutting back on my hours at my request.

I have not had a raise in a few years but I'm hoping for one this year. However, I believe that your experience can depend on the particular office and manager. I really enjoy working a seasonal position and the people in my office are like family.

Benefits can't be expected for a seasonal job, so I don't see this as a negative.
Pros
Great relationship with others in the office as well as the office manager.
Cons
Could really use a raise.
One of the best places to work
Security Analyst (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 11, 2019
Hands down this was one of the best places I have ever worked. Management was awesome, work/life balance was on point, salary/benefits/bonuses were almost always great. I really have no complaints about working here and would go back to working for them in a heart beat.
Cons
Dying indusry and lack of innovation
Marketing (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 22, 2018
The culture of the company was something that had a solid foundation for growth but leadership initiatives and corporate greed have been consistently a problem for innovation. The systems are archaic and corporate functional teams are maxed to capacity due to the lack of communication for expectations. I would not recommend working with the organization due to politics and overall company culture.
Pros
Free Tax Prep (Taxed as Benefit)
Cons
Lack of innovation, no room for advancement, political playground.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at H&R Block. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2
54.9K
42.8K
31.5K

Women's ratings

3.1Fairygodboss Score

59%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

71%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss