H&R Block Employee Reviews for Tax Preparer

Found 1,323 reviews matching the search See all 9,190 reviews
exciting place to work
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Lehighton, PAAugust 16, 2018
Love working for H and R block. I had a terrific manager and wonderful coworkers. I learned a lot and enjoyed the work a lot. I worked in a fast paced office.
Pros
exciting
Cons
nothing
It was educational.
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Amite, LAAugust 16, 2018
It is a temporary position. Seasonal. I learned a lot, but I am not a tax whiz. I wish I had been shown more and what is acceptable for deductions, how to get the fullest return.
H&R Block
Receptionist Manager / Tax Prepare (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIAugust 15, 2018
I had a very good experienced working for H&R Block. it was fun learning how to work with other employee. i learned a lot about tax and how to lead the company to making more money and bring in new customers.
With its ITC course, this job offers a way for many to enter a job field in which they haven't ventured.
Tax Specialist/Tax Preparer (Current Employee) –  Paris, TNAugust 13, 2018
The Income Tax Course was offered free. Having this course and job on my resume has opened many doors to a field not fast food or retail. The job is flexible and leaves room to grow. There's training on all the tax topics you could ever want to know. While the job is seasonal for most employees, it still adds a pretty nice supplement to our income.
Pros
Flexible Schedule, Good Pay, Career Advancement Opportunities
Cons
None I can think of currently
Great learning and training environment
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Mt. Prospect, ILAugust 13, 2018
Each client was treated very well and their needs were met by a whole team effort. Would be happy to recommend someone working there. Great place to work.
very helpful staff and supervisor
Tax Return Preparer (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYAugust 10, 2018
everyone was very helpful and very supportive. i was provided with everything i needed to do the job. supervisor worked with me to provide a flexible work schedule.
lack of respect for clients
OFFICE MANAGER/TAX PREPARER (Former Employee) –  2681 s kinnickinnic aveAugust 8, 2018
H&R Block has a culture that, I feel, does not benefit the clients. They focus too much on selling attached products as opposed to reducing the base price to a more comfortable level for clients.
Pros
flexible scheduling
Cons
lack of respect
productive and fun workpalce
Tax Professional Preparer (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTAugust 8, 2018
a typical day is to wait the person come the office for to prepare the tax. they try the employee like family, they like we grow up and teach us so much about different thing. the management is very nice with the employee.the most enjoyable part of the job is when the client go out happy with the job that we did.
Productive and stressful place to work.
Tax preparer / Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Reseda, CAAugust 8, 2018
Honestly it's a great place to work if you LIKE to prepare taxes. H&R Block pays very little compared to the actual work you do. The management is nice, and they do what they can to help the office. I enjoyed preparing taxes, and enjoyed coming to work every day.
Pros
Nice management
Cons
Low pay
Educational
Office Manager/Tax Preparer (Current Employee) –  Camp Springs, MDAugust 7, 2018
I learned a very useful skill which can help me for years to come. I appreciate the ongoing courses offered for maintaining tax information. You have to be a people person to work here.
HR Block
Tax Preparer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 6, 2018
Lots of work, little pay. The Rebots are coming and the stores have started closing, The Business is quickly slowing. I should get a new job before they close my store.
Every year the company finds a way to pay its seasonal employees less money per return
Tax Preparer/Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Derry, NHAugust 5, 2018
The company treats commission as bonuses, paying them out once a year and taxing them as bonuses rather than commission earned. That means that the IRS takes more in taxes than necessary and the preparer has to wait until the following year to recoup the extra taxes when they do their tax return. The IRS would allow the company to report these earnings as commission, taxed at ordinary income rates, but the company chooses to do otherwise.
Pros
Very flexible hours. Great continuing education for only a stipend of $20 per year.
Cons
Too much emphasis on product sales rather then customer service.
great place to apply and sharpen your tax preparation skills
Certified Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Valley Village, CAAugust 3, 2018
very flexible schedule but you have to be responsible. if you are good with talking to new people and helping them then this job is for you. Also you have to update your skill set every tax season
Taxes
Office manager/ tax preparer (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCAugust 1, 2018
I enjoyed doing taxes regardless, but was not that happy with HR Block. When I had the chance to move to JH, I took it and have been happy ever since.
Flexible schedule
Seasonal Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 31, 2018
I worked for H&R Block for parts of 3 tax seasons, and I enjoyed the work. Most of your time is spent with clients, and as you gain experience, you often gain a client base for future tax seasons. I originally took the tax class for personal reasons, and stayed on as an employee for the prospect of future discounted classes, but I enjoyed the interaction with clients. I did not see a lot of pressure to sell specific products, but the pay was based on revenues generated. I eventually stopped working for H&R Block because the district office was disorganized and I ended up working without pay when they could not get my payroll information processed even though I had been there for 2+ years.
Pros
Flexible, enjoyable work
Cons
Management organization
You are in charge of pay and hours. Comission only after first year
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 30, 2018
The quicker you pass through their training to become a senior tax advisor the better. Highest commissions are here. You can take courses online during the off season.
Great place to help people!
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Dawsonville, GAJuly 30, 2018
Fun and fast pace place to work! Always meeting new people and building your clientele.
Support was always available when I needed it. Flexible with scheduling!
fun work place
Tax Prepare (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 29, 2018
At times it's ideal place to work, work the hours you are available only, overtime during peak. One on one with clients, continuing CE, learning tax update. Help your own family members and friends with tax problems or concerns, Get to file your own tax return free! You can choose the office to work at for example near your house or if prefer near your job.
Pros
Cons
no breaks during peak
An easy job
Tax Preparer (Current Employee) –  Johnson City, TNJuly 27, 2018
This job is best if you can take the Federal Income Tax Course I in college. Taking an actual income tax course is very imperative. It also helps to be tech savvy for programs are constantly changing.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
Sometimes your boss may be an idiot.
You learn while you earn $$$
Seasonal Tax Preparer & Bank Agent (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJuly 26, 2018
I love this company. You pretty much have your own company, they pay for overhead, business cards, office location. You have get market to get your own clients, you came take CE hours (continuing education) to advance your skill level. Staff is very professional. the only down fall is that its for only 3and a half months
Pros
Flexable hours, very professional
Cons
seasonal position lasts only 3& a half months

Ask a question about working or interviewing at H&R Block. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2
54.6K
42.6K
31.4K

Diversity score

63out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at H&R Block.

Powered by Comparably