H&R Block

Based on 2,820 survey responses
What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to learn new things

Wonderful working atmosphere

I loved the time spent at HRB. Management and personnel a good blend of people working to assist clients to maximized their tax benefits. I would rate the workplace culture 8+ from a scale of 1-10. It is a cool place to work. Lots of employee growth when it comes to learning and development. My most enjoyable part of taxation is helping clients to understand the US tax codes and how to legally benefit from deductions and credits allowable to one's tax bracket.

Pros

Staff working together

Cons

short breaks

Great learning experience

the 500 Broadway location in Denver is a great place to learn tax. There are plenty of EAs and other experienced professionals to help and answer questions.

Pros

Pay is pretty good, great management and staff

Cons

only available seasonally

Good Place to get experience

This is a good place to get experience doing tax returns but the compensation is terrible. The software is excellent and the work environment is for the most part clean and proffesional.

Pros

Get Tax Prep Experience, Good Software

Cons

Very low compensation

you're thrown to the wolves

H&R block is full of friendly people. I worked there part time as a tax analyst while I was in college. They have trainings to "prepare" you, but if you want my opinion, the training isn't a good example of what you'll actually encounter. I was always doing tax forms way above my skill set and had to figure it out with the client right there. I was often embarrassed and anxious. They don't have enough preparers who can do the more difficult tax forms and will have the newbies deal with it anyway. That being said, the people who worked there had the best intentions and wanted to help me in any way possible. You do feel very much at home and have so much flexibility in the office location and the shifts you want. It was stressful and anxiety inducing, but I somehow miss it.

Pros

welcoming environment, everyone has a good sense of humor, good work culture, plenty of flexibility with schedule and location, room for growth

Cons

training isn't sufficient

Daily challenge of tax return

There are a few Tax Professionals who are extremely helpful, I get to set my schedule at beginning of the season. Offices were cleaned regularly during COVID-19.

Pros

Year end gift and celebration

Cons

I am a seasonal worker

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Help people considering your employer make a good choice.

Good seasonal position with high expectations

You can make good money working here but they are mostly a seasonal company with the expectations from their workers of a full time company. The off season training is extensive and in many cases, not paid.

Pros

flexible schedule

Cons

long off season hours and expectatins

Good place to work seasonally

Like it 23 years shows I loved what I do. Great co workers and management sometimes corporate has some odd focuses but overall good place to work. Our office was more like a family

Pros

Coworkers

Not Enough Mentoring Available

The position offered flexible hours, friendly co-workers but not enough mentoring on how to advance with the company and make more money after your first tax season.

Pros

Flexible work hours

Cons

No Mentoring

Starter place

Nice place to gain experience and the course was free. Don't have high expectations and this is just a place to get a little extra income for not alot of work.

Diverse, multicultural environment

HRBlock provides an eclectic environment, where the unexperienced employee could find guidance and support from former employees and leadership. Very open to concerns and questions, focused on training, providing knowledge, team work is the great asset of this company.

Pros

Flexible schedule

Cons

N.A

It’s not too bad

Decent pay for seasonal work. Overtime is mandatory they don’t have enough people to fully staff so you’ll work 80-120 hours in a week from open to close

Enjoyable work place and great hours.

My co-worker was always supportive and helped me promote my work skills. The clients were great. The worst part was having to go to classes yearly. I miss working there!

Pros

Great Co-workers

Cons

When it was peak, it was stressful but it didn't last long.

Productive and nice place to wotk

A very diverse community. You can meet very interesting clients and coworkers. You can learn allot about taxes. Management is usually friendly and tries to help you with any problems that may occur.

Pros

Seasonal and very diverse.

Cons

Can be disorganized at times

not a good paying seasonal job

Not make much for all the time and efforts put in the job. You don't get full time seasonal you want to work. be careful When you set up the time schedule, you only get few hours a day, sometimes only one or two hours which ruin your day.

Pros

online resources for tax knowledge

Cons

not a job can pay your bill

Great job to have

Filing the whole workday, great place to meet new people, everyone is supportive, great work environment. Most customers and friendly and polite. All questions answered with support from teammates and IRS direct.

low pay, nice people

low pay, nice people, there are a lot to learn in this job, a typical day is to conduct face to face interview with clients and help prepare tax return. Most of them are very easy.

No Work Experience Needed

It's a great place to start at if you have no work history. You talk to different types of clients in person and over the phone. It gets intense in the middle of tax season. Just lots of clients. And everyone has to reach a certain number of clients. Managers are great, they care about your concerns and they also push you to reach your goals. Get along with coworkers because they're the ones who have more experience. I learned more from them than what the books say. It's temporary but each year, you have to take tax courses again (some are free, others are not) because tax laws change from time to time.

Stressful Job, Low Pay, Inadequate Training

Preparers aren't given adequate training for the complexity of returns they are asked to prepare. Management only cares about the numbers game and not producing accurate tax returns, customer satisfaction, or employee retention.

Pros

Inclusive culture, Block will hire anyone that passes the class

Cons

Low pay, no breaks, stressful environment, corporate BS

Seasonal Tax Professional

H&R Block offers a great opportunity to develop skills to work with clients to improve their tax aspect of their financial life, but it is important to know it is a seasonal role. As such there are not benefits for vast majority of tax professionals. The first few years can be tough for majority of associates because of low number of returns that you compete. After the certification increases and your client base increases, then things begin to take off.

Pros

Client driven company

Cons

Seasonal without benefits

Big Promises, No Follow Through

OJT non-existent and I'm doing people's taxes! Management is spread thin and will change your schedule whenever is convenient for them. I'm responsible for all of my mistakes without given the guidance on how to do my job. I wouldn't work here or get my taxes done here.

Pros

Schedule

Helps community

The company helps community file their taxes and deal with tax issues.They are involved in community events. Im not sure in the covid-19 environment today, but post covid they were involved.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at H&R Block. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

6.5K
3.6K
2K

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
3.1Personal Development
3.7Career Opportunities
3.1Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight