H&R Block Employee Reviews for Tax Professional

Great Employer!!
Licensed Tax Professional (Current Employee) –  Hermiston, OR 97838August 16, 2018
I love working for Block!! Great pay and great people! Very team focused! I love going to work and making my clients happy! End of the season bonus is great, if you work hard for it!
Tax Professional
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Urbana, OHAugust 16, 2018
Work closely with customers to fulfill their tax needs, while paying close attention to details and data entry. Go over future planning. Offer tax advice for the future.
Pros
Good learning experience
Cons
Seasonal
Nice seasonal job
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Gary, INAugust 15, 2018
A nice place to work.
The client are the best part of working with the company.
I enjoy my time and learning new things that would help my career.
I was able to grow at the company.
It is a great place to work in the office I am in anyway.
FIRST YEAR TAX PROFESSIONAL (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIAugust 10, 2018
My coworkers at H & R Block are amazing about helping out when needed, as far as answering questions and showing me how to do things I am not sure of. They are very encouraging. A typical day at Block; make the coffee, run the reports for the day. Put money in the drawer and turn my computer on and pull up Appointment manager and DNA. Then I wait for my appointments to start coming in to get their taxes done. Management is almost non-existant, as the manager has two offices to take care of. I've learned how to do taxes and recognize different things that affect a client's refund, like what they claim on their W-4's.The workplace culture is very busy most days, but calm most of the time. The hardest part of the job is unhappy clients, but if I keep a calm demeanor, usually the client stays calm. The most enjoyable part of the job is, happy clients and their praise and my coworkers and their helpfulness.
Pros
Cheerful and helpful
Ok Company
Tax Professional (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, OHAugust 6, 2018
H & R Block good company to work However, first year pay if very low Seavond season it it is even worst The commissions spay and how it works is very hard to understand As first year tax year to learn what you need to learn it depends on what office you are placed it and who is willing to help you learn Plus H & R Block have 5-6 retail items you must sell The company keeps track on how well you sell them. Also, each client is sent a survey in order to grade your performance You must ask each client to fill it out. The company keeps track of the survives and will base your review on it
Pros
Cons
Pay is not good
Tax preparer
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  FloridaAugust 2, 2018
During the years I was at H & R Block it was an okay job. Helping the clients each year brought me joy. Depending on what office and manager there maybe favoritism, which not look nice on either side.Luckily I was on the side that had no problems. Often I felt bad for those on the other side. Tried to push for change , but management did what they wanted. Pay was not great but the opportunity to help the tax payer was awesome.
Pros
Great Clients
Cons
Pay not enough for expected load during rush
WE were a big family
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, VAJuly 30, 2018
H&R block associates we are team a family. They were very easy to work with and more than willing to help by any means necessary there are definitely many open doors to move up in the company and everyone is on board to help.
Pros
worked at a reasonable pace but at necessary speed
Stressfull needed more employees
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Greenville, TXJuly 26, 2018
H&R was changing management when I joined. The "new" rules at that time were strange and hindered productivity. New employees would be given accounts that were outside their skill level and even be made to take over a secondary office giving the new clients the feeling we were unprofessional.
Not bad
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAJuly 18, 2018
Working with HR Block wasn't too bad, the hours were based on what you could work and you were given clients that fit your tax professional specifications.
Good work environment
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Utah County, UTJuly 17, 2018
Friendly people and good work environment, however could be stressful during the tax season because of poor organization, bad scheduling, and long working hours (sometimes 60 hour per week at a busy location)
Pros
Growth and new challenges every day, good co workers and room to advance (certifications)
Cons
usually only can be seasonal, stressful if interact with unhappy clients
review
Tax Professional (Current Employee) –  fort myers, flJuly 17, 2018
H&R Block is only a seasonal job. Outside of the tax season there is not much opportunity to work. The customer demand appointments are not a good way to earn money.
Coworkers are the best
Tax professional/Instructor/Bookkeeper (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDJuly 16, 2018
If is great for peer support, management is somewhat out of touch with employees. There is such pressure to sell products and services to the clients that are unnecessary, products that come with the standard guarantee.
Pros
Coworkers
A flexible position
TAX PROFESSIONAL II (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJuly 14, 2018
This position has a potential for career advancement. With the unlimited amount of training and classes, the employee has the potential to get promoted fast.
Great Company to Work for with Flexible Hours
Tax Professional/Instructor (Current Employee) –  Lakeland, FLJuly 12, 2018
I love working at HR Block, tons of learning possibilities and you control your advancement by how many classes you take and how much you test up in advancement. Great seasonal job!!
Pros
You control your pay
Cons
Seasonal
good place to work
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJuly 11, 2018
hrblock was a great place to work , very fixable schedule hrblock is a very family orientated business they understand that people have children and emergencies and they are accommodating to situation like that. just don't take advantage.
Pros
good pay, opportunity for growth
Seasoned Tax Preparers
First Year Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Spring Lake, NCJuly 11, 2018
I was fortunate to be put in an office with a great group of ladies. Whenever I had a question, or hesitant about preparing a return, they were right there for me. They helped me grow and in turn, it allowed clients not have to wait for a longer period of time.
Pros
Learning above my level.
Cons
Fun, but fast-paced learning environment
Tax Professional, seasonal (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJuly 11, 2018
A typical workday depends on what part of the season we're in. During peak season, it's busy, but the flow of the workday is pretty steady.
I learned so much about tax filing rules and guidelines and was able to complete case studies to build my customer service skills.
Workplace culture was relaxed.
The most difficult part of the job was keeping up with changes to tax law.
The most enjoyable part was completing tax returns for clients with the best possible outcome - either reducing a client's tax liability or increasing their refund.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
No benefits
Good seasonal job
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJuly 10, 2018
Spent most days working on tax returns, helping new hires, and setting client appointments. Assisted manager with employee schedule, ordering office supplies, general office needs.
Pros
Good clientelle
Cons
Seasonal
great place to work
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIJuly 10, 2018
I like working there because flexible hours training available. People in my office are very friendly and will help you with questions if you have a really hard return that you are working on.
Pros
friendly people
Cons
seasonal only
Tax professional
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 8, 2018
Responsible for conducting tax interviews and for preparing tax returns for various clients.
Accepted and transmitted electronically filed tax returns as required.
Answered tax questions and offered advice to assist clients in their financial planning.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at H&R Block. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight