H. D. Smith Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
ACCOUNTS PAYABLE SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILJune 27, 2018
H. D. Smith is a very family oriented company with down to earth values. There is communication issues but that comes with ever company just depends on how you handle that situation.
Great Place
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILJune 26, 2018
They are very supportive and encouraging in the corporate location. I learned a lot and developed great experience here. They all were so supportive when I left for a better opportunity.
Pros
Relaxed work environment. Everyone is helpful. A great company to work for.
Cons
A little too quiet, not as much team effort as you'd hope.
A corporate culture that nurtures education and growth
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 16, 2018
A corporate culture that nurtures education and growth. Hard work is expected and delivered. The actual contractual process is arduous and complicated. But once completed it is smooth sailing and easy to maintain.
Pros
Autonomy
Cons
Long sales cycle
I really enjoy working at H. D. Smith.
Accounting Manager (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILJune 11, 2018
I have had the opportunity to advance and grow here at H. D. Smith. My peer group coming in was very helpful and professional. We were recently purchased by AmerisourceBergen and I have had some very positive interaction with them as well. I look forward to what opportunities this may represent.
Relaxed place to work
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJune 9, 2018
I would have love to retire with this company.. It was fun and great employees.. Mangement was great and fair.. Had great training about the company warehouse.
Pros
Nice lunch breaks
No Comment
Benefit Specialist (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILJune 7, 2018
It was a nice place to work, I enjoyed helping the union employees understand their company benefits. I enjoyed training and facilitating Open Enrollment. Overall, I was respected at this company and enjoyed the friendships I obtain after relocating.
Great people.
Pricing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILMay 26, 2018
My experience at HD Smith has been great. My experience has involved constant change because of employee turnover, a change in commerical strategy, and most recently the purchase of the company by AmeriSource Bergen. I have been lucky enough to be part of a awesome team during this time though which has made the stress of change easier to deal with. With these significant changes our team was able to make significant decisions to our pricing strategy with newly acquired sourcing benefits provided by ABC. The most enjoyable part of my day to day is analyzing competitor sales strategies and finding out where their profit is coming from. Arming the sales teams with this data and creating pricing and deal structures assessments to win business. This process has become a passion of mine. The hardest part of this is sometimes conveying the value of our deal structures to our reps in a way that enables them to sell it to our prospects and current customers. Working with sales teams can sometimes be like leading a pack of wolves. However, when you can all get on the same page and give them what they consider credible ammo to sell it can be very rewarding to see your company succeed.
Pros
People, Managment, Culture, flexibility of work(work from home days).
Cons
Job Security because of acquisition, salary could be better.
Day to Day
Consumer Products Category Manager (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILMay 3, 2018
Days vary based on customer demand. Review new items. Reset planograms, participate in sales calls, coordinate promotions with manufacturers, work on budheting, etc.
Team oriented
Administrative Assistant/Vendor Returns Associate (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILApril 2, 2018
This is a great place to work. The business was sold in January and positions are being eliminated. I would like to find another role in the event my position is moved to the corporate offices in PA.
Pros
Great owners; lunches; flexible time
Very Productive.
Reconciliation Specialist, Accounts Payable (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILMarch 28, 2018
You are rated on how much work you can get done. Management needs work. Most co-workers are very outgoing and easy to get a long with. Some don't pull their weight and you end up working overtime fixing their mistakes. Big pro-can listen to music while you work and tune out the world.
Pros
Paid birthday lunches
Cons
Lackluster employees
ok place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILJanuary 19, 2018
busy, always something new, industry challenges, fun people to work with, work life balance was good, benefits were ok, did not have 401K match only profit sharing
Relaxed place to work, while still providing challenges
Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILJanuary 12, 2018
H. D. Smith has provided me with plenty of advancement opportunity, career knowledge, and great experience throughout my 2+ years of working there. I have thoroughly enjoyed the working with my department, as well as for the company.
produtive fast pace
Picker/Packer/Shipper (Former Employee) –  Stratham, NHJanuary 9, 2018
worked fast and a little stressful at times .I ran a forklift numerous times to get packages off high shelves.i packed packages and shipped them as well ..did all paperwork!
Pros
friends fast pace and busy
Cons
short brakes
Good company to work for, Great Work/Life Balance
Senior Accountant (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILNovember 30, 2017
H. D. Smith is a very good company to work for. The accounting department is a tight knit group, and it's a very collaborative environment. Management is extremely cooperative, flexible, and willing to help whenever problems or questions arise. The work/life balance is a huge plus. I started off with 18 PTO days, with the ability to carry over 10 days each year. Plus, management rewards employees who put in longer weeks and weekends during the busy/audit season with additional PTO days. Strong compensation and benefits package.
Pros
Work/Life Balance, Strong management, Fair compensation and benefits
Out of Business
Supply Chain Planner (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILNovember 22, 2017
H D S is being purchased by amerisource bergen. It was a good ride while it lasted and I used to think highly of the company. I cant blame them for selling but I dont think they did it the right way.
Does it get worse?
Planner (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILJuly 16, 2017
I was directly told, not asked, by my supervisor that I should be working at least 50-60 hours a week, unacceptable.

The management role for my supervisor was also their first, in which they had no business being in.

Management as a whole seem to have their own agendas, and there is a lot of "good ole boy" system ways strung throughout.

I don't give them a lot of time before they go under or completely sell out.
Pros
I left for something better
Pleasant place to work
Generics Rx Contracts Administrator (Former Employee) –  Kearny, NJJuly 14, 2017
I liked working at H.D. Smith. The work atmosphere was relaxed and you were able to concentrate.

You were always up on the happenings with the monthly town hall meetings with included our fiscal goals
Pros
Summer hours, free clothing appreal
Cons
None I can recall
Very bad management
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Stratham, NHJuly 10, 2017
Again bad management, no holidays off and not even paid extra for it. Its either busy or not at all eveytime theres someone new it slows everything down for a week or two. They put too many people on one line. And to top it off everyone complains about something no matter how small and they like to play the they said this game, ridiculous. Glad i found something better.
Pros
2 paid breaks
Cons
Everything else
Watch your back!
Pricing Analyst, Generics Rx (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILJune 29, 2017
Lots of promises, little follow-thru on those promises from management. Mid to upper level advancements are regular but for the line workers few and far between. Emotional abuse by managers is tolerated when results are there.
Company has a history of treating employees well but have abandoned many of the principles that made the company a great place to work.
Pros
Friendly co-workers
Cons
Shoddy management
Good job
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Carson, CAJune 21, 2017
I liked this job because one of the locations they sent me to was Hollywood it was pretty cool but you must be aware and carful not to end up in LA traffic as long as you do that and know where your going your good
Pros
Ones your done delivering you can go home
Cons
If your not good with GPS that's your con