HCA Corporate Employee Reviews

Found 1,516 reviews matching the search See all 1,586 reviews
Featured review
HCA Corporate selected this as a representative review
workplace review
Registered Emergency Nurse (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNApril 24, 2018
HCA as a company is an over all caring and wonderful company to work with. I worked at several HCA hospitals and would gladly go back to one. The workplace culture at each facility was somewhat different at each one but overall is one of caring and wanting to do the right thing for the patient and the staff.
Right Place for Certain Types
Senior Director (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNOctober 11, 2018
HCA Corporate is the true definition of a corporation (large volume of FTEs, bureaucratic nature, devoid of culture, highly paid executives, etc.). If you are looking to jump start a career and move when the wind blows then you will fit in just fine. Many 15-20 yr veterans of the company who like to reminisces on "the way things used to be". Good experience with a cross-functional (contained all in one) company so you see operations form many angles.
Pros
alot of intelligent people
Cons
work/life balance is dependent on department
East Florida Division
Nurse Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLSeptember 24, 2018
EFD Recruiters live in fear of losing their jobs. No work life balance. Constant calls, texts and IM with threats from Director and Mostly Manager. Which current manager was removed from st. Lucie and Mercy hospital location for the same reason. And still is employed. The constant calls are finding ways why you did this wrong or why you did that wrong. No work life balance and you must meet your number because your job is threatened. Your never praised for the good job, People are medications because of the level of anxiety there is. We have lost few really great seasoned recruiters because of these punitive ways. Most probably lose some more if they are no stopped. So don't work here unless you want to make your self sick.
A lot of times my team and co-workers felt like family. We worked hard but had a lot of laughs and fun whilst doing so.
Team Leader/ Interim Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 30, 2018
I loved working there for many years, I had a great team, and two amazing leadership co-workers. We hit the ground running daily, hard work and fast paced, but so rewarding. I cross trained in every area, and learned so much.
Unfortunately over time changes in management meant changes in the day to day operation. I was not offered opportunity for deserved advancement. And I was severely restricted in assisting my teams' issues. This made for a very uncomfortable workplace.
Physically and mentally the hardest part of my job was juggling so many hats under a pressing time constraint.
The most enjoyable was bringing smiles and joy to all my customers faces. And not to mention having a wonderful fun relationship with my team.
Pros
Free uniform, meal allowance, PTO with the option to cash in. Great benefits. Regular schedule.
Cons
Lack of recognition. No advancement availability. Being treated with no respect by management.
Billing/Collections-Brentwood, TN
Billing/Collections Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brentwood, TNJanuary 21, 2019
The company is political. They hire and promote who they want if you kiss their butts. Employees are sooo underpaid and to cover up for this they try to throw in benefits and talk down about other companies but yet every January and/or early February the O's(CEO, COO, managers and directors) receive huge lavish bonuses anywhere from $5000-$20,000+ every year. Meanwhile they work you like slaves because all they care about are numbers and not quality! Production is set too high. This company have been paying out a lousy $300 bonus for the last 20 years and there are no cost of living increases. You have upper managenent receiving bonuses more than what some of employees make in a year. Ridiculous!! There are no company Christmas parties, no paid holidays as they make you use your PTO for Holidays. Slave house. Raises are pathetic-they give $0.15 -$0.30 raises, 401k sucks! You have to stay there a year now just to get your 401k match-this is how they stream you along. Employees have been there for 5 and 6 + years and still haven't had a dollar raise.
Pros
Flex time
Cons
Under pay employees, no real bonuses, raises are a joke, slave house mentality, poor management
Patient Care Liaison
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 10, 2019
While my position is said to be health care based the reality is it is a sales position. This is a lead generation position where the most important goal is to obtain patient-consumer demographics. The company utilizes any benefit for its own promotion. If the employee does not agree with the direction the marketing is taking then they encourage the employee to seek new employment opportunities. In this position there is no lateral option nor a ladder for higher positions. The hardest part of the job for me is the inability to work independently. Every action you take while running the inbound calls are governed by supervisor or company protocol. I have learned dedicating time and service to this position has allowed my best skills to decay. This is an unfruitful position leading to barren opportunities.
benefits
Cons
intrusive control over aspect
I have held several positions with HCA. Overall it is a great company to work for.
Regional Business Office Manager (Former Employee) –  DeLand, FLSeptember 10, 2018
The company has great benefits and has been around for 50+ years. The company is very stable. Every time I have worked for HCA, I have always been promoted within the company. I know in management there is expected overtime, however, HCA expects you to work extensive overtime.
Pros
Great benefits, great leaders!
Cons
Most management positions that I have held, there are always very long hours!
happy environment relaxed atmosphere
Insurance Verification Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 20, 2018
was a great place to work as there was no glass ceiling and plenty of room for advancement up their corporate ladder. Management was very hands on with employees but also did not micro manage their employees. Everyone was pleasant in the office call center situation and all were willing to help one another with issues if they were to arise. This office had a great team of employees and upper management. I had to relocate, other than that i saw myself there for many more years as i truly did enjoy my job.
Pros
relaxed collaborative atmosphere and excellent pay
Cons
i really don't have any cons for this company
Nurse Extern to Nurse Intern
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXNovember 24, 2018
Great hospital for new graduate nurses. Collaborative work
environment. Supportive management, opportunity for career
advancement. Salary is adequate but definitely could be higher.
HCA should consider compensation based on the skill set of the
Nurse and not based solely on the nurses tenure.
A culture of family
Service Request Management Process Owner (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 23, 2018
The culture at HCA is one of family. The expectations is high and most teams are high functioning, but with remote working options and value placed on family first, it is also a great place to work.
Pros
Paid time to volunteer, generous PTO
Cons
raises are not guaranteed
Vice President of Quality, Patient Safety (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXSeptember 3, 2018
HCA offers great benefits for employees. This organization provides ongoing professional development opportunities as well as tuition reimbursement. During the worst storm to hit Houston, Hurricane Harvey, the Gulf Coast Division provided assistance to all employees including compensation for missed days of work. For those who lost their homes and vehicles, HCA provided transportation and assistance in finding temporary housing. This is a pretty amazing company to be apart of.
Pros
employee benefits, professional development
Cons
work life balance can be a challange
The Queen of Sheba of Employers
Lab Technician Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lees Summit, MONovember 14, 2018
I worked as a PRN Lab Technician Assistant (fancy phrase for a phlebotomist) and I had the most stressful nearly two years of my life there. We have several people on our PRN roster that never worked, so all of the shift needs were thrust on me. Of course, it's my fault I said yes as often as I did, but it was still ridiculous. The most insulting thing is that it took over a year for me to make even close to competitive wages (yet still low) because it was my first Phlebotomy job. I made $12.25 per hour with absolutely no benefits besides a useless 401K (not helpful for PRN...). When I did get my raise (which I had to email SEVERAL people before it was acknowledged that I was told I'd get a raise) I only went up to $14.75/hr. Shift differentials were insulting! The workload was unnecessarily excessive. You'd have to draw the entire hospital, answer the Emergency Room anytime they needed as well as the ICU. They expect a lot out of you, but do not compensate you for doing it.

If you have to do a morning run, they expect you to do it in a short span of time. They don't want you to start too "early" but they also want everything done by a certain hour so they can turn around results in time for morning rounds.
Pros
Some patients were absolute dolls and I miss helping them, and the job was easy to maintain and it was incredibly hard to get fired...
Cons
No set breaks, usually the only one who worked so lunches were not guaranteed, low pay, hard to get fired
Productive, helpful, mission driven
Occupational Health Nurse (Former Employee) –  St Petersburg Beach, FLJanuary 17, 2019
The culture the hospital strives for is admirable; however, similarly to most organizations, the culture of each department can be different, depending on management of said department. Providing services to the community meant meeting a variety of people from all cultures which is an extremely rewarding experience.
Pros
meeting different cultures, attaining new skills
Cons
unpredictable down time
Great Corporate in thsi organization
Director of Operations for Georgia (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 10, 2018
I was a pleasue working for this organization. There was great opportunity for growth, development and advancement opportunities in this organization. The employee titution reimbursment program was fantastic
Pros
Great Employee Benefits
Cons
Nothing to report
was a very pleasant fast paced call center
Diagnostic Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 17, 2018
Overall the company did a lot for employees, made the office environment very comfortable and did many fun things for employees. We always receive perks and treats from management. We provided excellent customer service for our clients who consisted of Physician offices and patients.
Pros
Excellent benefits and lots of training to keep up with work, very informative management team
Cons
sitting all day on phones
Administrative Favoritism
Director (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJuly 29, 2018
Advancement is biased. Mostly based on favoritism not work skills.
Antagonistic work environment. Widespread practice in favoritism, and micromanagement from Administration team with their Directors/Managers/Supervisors. Company loyalty and long-term service is not valued. Poor communication skills are a common practice within all levels of Del Sol Medical Center. Unrestrained preoccupation with financial gain, in that the interest lies in the bottom-line, not their hard working people. Unfortunately, I cannot recommend working at Del Sol Medical Center.
Pros
Wonderful hardworking staff
Cons
Administrative favoritism
Being contracted may not be worth it
ETL Developer (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TN 37203July 6, 2018
After being contracted for 7 months I don't feel like I have progressed in my career. No talk of me getting hired on soon. I only have communication with my contracting company. HCA offers no benefits or job security for contractors. The process of development is fine depending on the project. The hardest part of the job is communication. The knowledge I have learned from HCA is massive. I love that I come to work and learn something new almost every day. The workplace is very professional which sometimes limits communication on projects. Overall I fell like HCA could do better on communication with their contractors and active directions to developers.
Pros
hour lunches, Paid holidays
Cons
Long contract hire-on time.
Right Person Could be the Right Fit
Sr. Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 17, 2018
HCA IT&S is a solid place to work for the right mindset.
As a support function, IT is at the disposal of the providers and facility staff they support. We are often an after-thought in planning and the bottleneck in delivery. This reinforces the importance of IT&S and its support of healthcare but can lead to frustration when it comes to time and project prioritization.

For those looking to be in IT&S, it's a solid start for many career paths. For those who like routine and time control, you won't find it here. That's not a bad thing but it is some thing to take into consideration for those looking for more life than work balance.

Paid Time Off policy is awful. All other benefits are competitive. Flexibility to work from home for some positions helps with countering the bad PTO policy.
Pros
Health Benefits, Smart People, Industry, Future Opportunity
Cons
Paid Time Off
Summary
Medical Assistant/Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 20, 2018
The first 2 years were amazing but after they transferred me and changed management, I lost interest due to poor treatment and lack of communications.
Pros
benefits, tuition reimbursement, HOPE fund
Cons
In my experience, lack of communication and respect for employees after my first 2 years.
Positive work culture.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Orem, UTNovember 24, 2018
I like the modern new NICU I work in and I admire the doctors and nurses I work with. All are caring and have great integrity I enjoy working with the premature babies and assisting their parents through the difficult NICU experience. I love helping parents overcome challenges with their infant. What is difficult in the place I work is the fact that management may peg individuals into a certain work/skill level, rather than cycling everyone through the challenging and crucial learning they would gain. Everyone, in my opinion, is well trained and should be given experiences that coincide with current certificaions, for their own growth and also for the safety and benefit of the unit as a whole. I see some managers as unwilling to train/support. All should be given experiences of learning.
Pros
Working with premature infants, their parents and a team of integrity.
Cons
High stress: not enough staffing at times
company is ok
Underpayment Analyst (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXNovember 8, 2018
larger company with micro management, learned a lot from training, culture is ok somewhat diverse, hardest part if management & employees, most enjoyable is what I've learned over the years
Pros
good company
Cons
management not so great

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HCA Corporate. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight