HCA MidWest Health Employee Reviews

Great Team Work!
Strong decision maker (Current Employee) –  Independence, MOAugust 21, 2018
A typical day, working on the Med Surgical/ Oncology floor is extremely busy, having usually an assignment of 6 patients with a tech to support us. I have learned a lot about caring for patients with cancer, as well as preparing patients for surgery, taking care of patients post surgery, and other patients treated for other diseases, and needing supportive care.
This floor has excellent teamwork, where other workers will jump in and help you when you need assistance. The hardest part of the job is definitely handling 6 patients over a 12 hour shift. I have learned a lot regarding this type of floor, for future careers in the nursing field
Pros
good management, good teamwork
Cons
short breaks, heavy patient load, staff shortage
Maybe a good stepping stone, but that's it.
Security Manager (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOSeptember 29, 2018
Started with health Midwest and stayed with HCA after the buy-out. Worked in total for the company for 16 years.
Senior Leadership rarely comes out of their offices and doesn't know your name without looking at your badge first, especially if your not in the "group." A lot of cut throat dog eat dog games played within this organization and if you're not a nurse, you don't matter. Turnover during my employment was at a company wide high which resulted in senior leadership being called to Nashville for a hand slap. This facility also has a difficult time meeting budget which also recently resulted in senior leadership being called back to Nashville for a hand slap, and the CEO resigning from CTMC in May.
Contrary to senior leadership postings and quotes, anyone less than a nurse does not have a voice and is fully expendable as they made clear numerous time during my employment. Anyone who was close to retirement usually had their position eliminated prior to retirement so the company could save money.
Benefits were atrocious as well. Annual raises were never more than 2% when we received them, but we were always told we were in the middle of the fair market for pay and benefits.

Like I said, good stepping stone, but I wouldn't plan on staying around to long!
Pros
Department Co-workers
Cons
Everything else
Culture is example of low morale in hospital environment.
Oncology Nurse (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSOctober 26, 2018
The clinic where I worked had a manager who had driven off 4 RN's before I got there. She was friendly and encouraging during the hiring; then turned and became hostile; acted martyred even when asked reasonable questions. I took my grievance to the CNO. She attempted to fix things; but soon both she and the CEO left the hospital. I lasted a year in the most toxic work environment of my life.
Pros
It was a job.
Cons
Problems were not solved. Power point presentations could not solve them.
Enjoyed working at the hospital
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 6, 2018
I enjoyed working at the hospital and working with my coworkers. It was a place where you could get your payraise and promotions also. I had to relocate due to a family emergency
Pros
Enjoyed working with coworkers
Good Place to work
Unit Secretary/Registar/Patient Access Services (Current Employee) –  Lexington, MOOctober 12, 2018
This is a good job, but it has it's pros and cons.
Pro- Health insurance is not all that great and expensive with crazy deductibles.

Con- They have a great team and understanding Management.
Pros
Health Insurance is not great.
Horrible Management/Leadership No Integrity
Employee (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 7, 2018
Management is very vindictive and retaliatory. They executives falsify records, they are deceptive liars..etc. Do not subject yourself to being treated inhumanly and with no respect.
Pros
Cons
I was not allowed to take breaks.
Nice
Radiologic Technologist (Current Employee) –  Independence, MODecember 22, 2018
Co-workers are great to work with. The equipment HCA provides is excellent. As a PRN they are very flexible with your schedule. The benefits they offer are not the greatest.
Staff to patient ratios.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 26, 2017
Staff to patient ratios are dangerous and patient assignments are dangerous. Management teams work hard for their floors but a lot of the trouble seems to be out of their hands. Incentives to work extra shifts are not worth the extra day of work. This is a unionized hospital and if you choose to decline union membership I was told I would be fired within 30 days. The union has done little to help or support the nurses. You will get a lot of experience working with various cultures and patient populations. This hospital provides a lot of unique procedures and care you may not get to see anywhere else in the metro area.
Exercise Physiologist
Clinical Exercise Physiologist (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSNovember 7, 2018
I have approached HR 3 times to review my pay status to match my pay with other exercise physiologist in the area. I have asked them to match my hourly wage with another hospital I do work for on 3 occasions. I have them to get back with me and I continue to get the feeling they are avoiding the process. I make a few dollar over what a Costco employee would make and I have 20 plus years of experience and a masters degree. I feel HCA does not put their employees first and treat them as they deserve.
Well organized.
RN (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 26, 2018
I am new with HCA but seems to find a good rhythm with my team. Everyone is supportive and always have a helping hand around to lift you up. It was a good career move for me.
Pros
Well organized.
Cons
Staffing can be an issue.
Good place to work.
Staff RN (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSOctober 6, 2018
Supportive staff, they all work together. Company provides ample opportunity for training and advancement. Many activities to get involved in if you want.
Pros
Good staff.
Unit Secretary-Nephrology (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 11, 2018
An okay place to work, you can get overtime, good learning hospital,
Culture could be a lot better,work/life balance could be better, it is overall a okay place to work
Terrible Job
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NENovember 9, 2018
I reported nurses failing to give medication when necessary, falsifying documentation, taking advantage of support personnel, and that's only the headline. My boss made my report known to the nurses I reported. Also, you could pick your own schedule, but the schedule went six weeks into the future. No such thing as PTO. If you called in sick, you got attendance points. HCA thumbs its nose at FMLA. Understaffed all the time. They didn't even make an effort to fully staff. It was truly a sick, toxic workplace.
Pros
Steady paycheck.
Cons
As described.
productive and a good place to work
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 23, 2018
productive work flow, learn coordinate staff, great management team, have many departments for a positive work place, hardest thing not to get attached to the patients, enjoyable thing saving lives and working with coworkers you get along with.
sanitation worker
Special Cleaning Worker (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 5, 2018
it's had its ups and down,in general for the student or not it could a second source of income. They do have advancement for growth within the company.
Awesome place
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSAugust 30, 2018
Awesome place to work sometimes understaffed but always management was eager to listen and make necessary arrangements to fulfill all employees disgruntilesness
Duties
Administrative Assistant, Administration (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSSeptember 3, 2018
Provided direct administrative assistance to Executive Management, to include the CNO, COO, and CFO with auxiliary support to the CEO
Project Management
A Horrible Experience!
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 14, 2017
It should be a BIG RED FLAG that HCA hospitals are ALWAYS hiring and ALWAYS giving away bonuses. Save yourself the trouble and just walk away from this one. You'll be sorry if you don't. Nursing is a hard job and we are supposed to support each other instead of back-stabbing and attacking our co-workers. I have never before encountered such a horrible culture in the workplace. The benefits and pay are great, but they are not worth the daily attacks from pit-vipers you will experience on the floor!
Pros
None!
Cons
Horrible nursing culture, biased management, very high turnover.
Not enough time
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Belton, MOSeptember 7, 2018
When I started with HCA, I was hired on to work four days a week for one department. Soon after, I had three other positions added to my position. I didn't have enough time to get everything done. This was an ideal job; five minutes from my home and for the most part, I enjoyed working with most of my colleagues. I didn't feel I was valued there.
Productive and excellent patient care
Business Office Specialist (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSSeptember 16, 2018
From front office staff to nurses and doctors everyone was professional and compassionate. Excellent reviews from patients. We got free lunches on Fridays, birthday cakes once a month and movie tickets when we went above and beyond the call of duty.
Pros
Free lunches, movie tickets, laundered uniforms
Cons
Hiring process takes for ever

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HCA MidWest Health. Our community is ready to answer.