Play YouTube video button

HCR ManorCare Employee Reviews

Found 4,054 reviews matching the search See all 4,132 reviews
Worst place I have ever worked!
non clinical (Former Employee) –  Adrian, MIFebruary 6, 2019
I have worked in healthcare for over 30 years for big companies and small and I have never been so badly treated as at HCR/Provincial House in Adrian, MI. Management and long time employees play favorites and have clichés. Management will use hourly workers as scape goats for their own poor job performance. The pay is okay but benefits are expensive with high deductibles and high out of pocket costs. The union they have is a joke do not waste your money becoming a member as they offer no protection from management unfair treatment and harassment. God help you if you go to work for them.
Pros
pay is okay
Cons
everthing else
Stay Away
Team Coordinator (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNOctober 31, 2018
I worked for a subsidiary of HCR ManorCare and it was the worst job I had in my life. Poverty level pay, horrible benefits, daily workplace harassment, abusive, exploitative, discriminatory, dead end and incompetent managers and leadership. You are expected to do the work of three to five people for five cent raises every fifteen months and there is no where to go in the company. Certain people were allowed to get away with murder while others were constantly threatened with termination. The company went out of business due to financial incompetence and employees walked away with nothing. When the company found out that you applied for unemployment, it was continuous harassment.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Everything else
bad company to work for
Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) (Former Employee) –  Camp Hill, PAJanuary 31, 2019
I was working my butt off, people who didn't work as hard got more recognition. I had more experience and education and didn't get the compensation that would reflect.

3rd year hurt my back bc of lack of staffing became on light duty after on light duty and therapy I changed my way to bond with patients, provided music when I was on 1:1 apparently not allowed to lighten up a patients day with old school blues.
Needless to say after I worked there for 3 years with no write ups I get wrote up while on LD.
After 3 years I made employee of the month and newsletter then got fired.
Upper/Executive Management is ruthless and vindictive
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZAugust 28, 2018
I was an administrator for this company and in the beginning, it was a wonderful experience; quality upper level managers offered help and support. The company has become ruthless, vindictive and lacking a moral compass. The executive level of management has bled the company dry and now that it's bankrupt and run by semi executives who do nothing but sit in a conference room on cell phones and computers all day, the overall quality of what was originally HCR-ManorCare has disappeared. Spare yourself the stress, despair and disappointment of working at this place and find a locally owned and decent hospice agency to work for.
Pros
good pay and benefits and wonderful agency staff
Cons
bizarre and vindictive upper level management, EXTREME turnover in administrative positions
Worst place ever
STNA/CNA (Former Employee) –  Twinsburg, OHSeptember 23, 2018
The staff and patient ratio sucks, They are always short staff, state is always in the building on complaints from the residents that management could take care of . You are promised a break , but never get to take one, you are busy from when you clock in until you clock out. The pay sucks. You will not get a raise when you are due for one. As all work places they have their favorite so if you are not one. You won't get what you need or want...
Pros
Building relationships with residents and family members, Experience in Healthcare
Cons
No breaks, short staff, low pay
DON encourages back stabbing
LVN Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Palm DesertFebruary 14, 2019
Unreliable management who lock their offices and leave early, and yet write ups over anything ridiculous. Favoritism.No shows, call ins and late arrival staff never counseled. Mgmt with so little nursing experience they have no idea what they are doing. Mgmt hired friends not professionals. Patients never have sitters so numerous falls and NO one cares.
Update salary scale has collapsed more than 25%
Pros
Pay
Cons
Mgmt
Faced paced, mentally draining, low pay for work they required
Medical Technician/Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PANovember 26, 2018
No communication between employees and management, lack of care from management for residents, overworked and underpaid, high turn over rate, no cost of living raises
Pros
Bonding with residents, giving them a better quality of life
Cons
Resident to staff ratio is very low, over worked and underpaid, management doesn't appreciate employees
a day at work
Nurse Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Allentown, PAOctober 24, 2018
Our days at work are usually long and challenging. My co-workers are always willing to help each other and have been a great support. I really enjoyed when I could be training other case managers in their new role. I have learned a lot about case management over the years I have been employed. The hardest part of the job is trying to juggle everyone - insurance companies, management, staff and patients.
Pros
co workers
Cons
health care benefits
Overall position
BUSINESS OFFICE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  IllinoisSeptember 3, 2018
face paced job but with proper organization it is less chaotic- close knit facility; management is pretty much all close to each other; although sometimes that causes the "office drama". Flexible work hours-basically work until you can do finish what you need for the day and you can leave (normal 8 hour day). Salary pay, no hourly (for business off manager- other positions offer hourly). High traffic in and out of office which causes distractions and hard to get work done. Also adds unnecessary additional work.
Pros
hours and flexibility
Cons
'office drama'
challenging
Nutrition Services Director (Former Employee) –  Willoughby, OHDecember 21, 2018
The balance between funding, therapy changes and staffing challenges made the days stressful, but they went quickly

Turnover was an ongoing issue, could not keep qualified candidates once they gained experience.

The building was a challenge to fill and serve, making a fluctuating census and daily staffing constraints a real bear to blend.
Pros
co-workers, benefits
Cons
corporate overhead, policies
Caring Environment
Director of Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 17, 2018
a. Caring Environment
b. Challenging to work in a Census based environment.
Working in this long term care environment caring for the most needy of patients is very challenging. On a regular basis, the Nursing assists worked shot staffed which made it challenging for all other departments to work effectively.
Pros
Caring Environment
Cons
Census Based Environment; Expensive Health Benefits;
Manor Care
Healthcare Services Group Director (Former Employee) –  York, PANovember 9, 2018
I managed the employees for the laundry department, the maintenance and the girls who cleaned the rooms for the patients. I would have morning meetings, trained, and pay checks and pay raised. Calculated hours to be allocated through out the weeks and months. Order products necessary for the job also.
Pros
working with people
Cons
limited time, short staffed
Disorganized management and poor team leader communication
Home Health Nurse (Former Employee) –  Heartland, Greentree PAJanuary 16, 2019
This company was still utilizing paper charting in their home care division. The Administrator did not have control of the department disorganization and the Director held down many duties which hampered her effectiveness. The team leaders were completely disorganized and had poor communication with field staff and often gave out the wrong information. Several people left while I was there who were field nurses, and the atmosphere was distrustful and resentful between the team leaders, field nurses and between the nurses themselves. Last minute decisions with poor communications and reports on patients by team leaders made for difficult visits on complicated patients not followed by their individual case managers. While the salary was good, the benefits and health plan were poor with high deductible health insurance. I left without finishing orientation, noting team leaders giving false information to both patients and nurses and some patients never received visits according to frequencies due to team leader inefficiencies and staffing. I can see why they are giving a bonus if the situation has not changed.
Pros
Salary, Director
Cons
Poor communication, team leaders
Great if you don’t mind working all the time
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Macon, GADecember 29, 2018
The compensation is great, however, the work/life balance is nonexistent. Being a salaried employee in this job is awful. You’re going work nights and weekends, whether you want to or not due to all the paperwork.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Taking your work home with you
Amazing place to work but very rough on the body
Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJuly 21, 2018
Wake residents up in the morning, get them dressed, bathe them, make them breakfast and lunch, help them go to the bathroom, and just keep an eye on them to make sure they haven't fallen. I have learned how to lift a person and not hurt myself. I can lift a person that weighs more than me. Management is amazing and they are very understanding, especially when it comes to family. I work with men and women and everyone is pretty great. The hardest part of the job would be when residents pass away, when residents are combative and when resident's family members are rude to their loved one that is staying and it causes the resident to have a bad day or night. The most enjoyable part of the job would be helping the residents and seeing the smiles on their faces. Although the residents do have Alzheimer's and related dementia's and they often forget, they still know who takes care of them.
Pros
Great pay, good incentives, wonderful benefits
Cons
Alzheimer's and dementia can result in combativeness, etc.
their is no place for advancement.
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  wilmington delawareNovember 25, 2018
I enjoyed working their, but there was no place for advancement or pension, the resident was pleasure to care for , there was no timely or close transportation.the turn over rate was high, therefor we work short staffed a lot of times.
Pros
close to home, .hours
Cons
no pension, or good job benefits.
Gave me the opportunity to experience nursing administration
Asst.Director of Nursing (Former Employee) –  Tice Valley Blvd, Walnut Creek, CaSeptember 21, 2018
Management of a locked Alzheimers unit
Different behaviors and manifestations, risks and benefits of psychotropic meds
Working closely with CDPH and CMS guidelines
Diverse and trainable
Watching patients with Alzheimers forget family members,ability to care for oneself
Giving care to the patients
Pros
Beautiful building and location
Cons
Strong team
Better than the new owners
Registered Nurse and Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Kenosha, WINovember 11, 2018
Manorcare was a good company that offered better benefits than the new owners. Manorcare had a culture that people got behind. There were opportunities for advancement and enjoyment working there.
High turnover for non-nursing deptpartments.
PTA (Former Employee) –  Shadyside, PAFebruary 9, 2019
Therapy team is great. But as with all companies. It is run like a business. Making money is high priority. Would like to see more patient centered care.
Pros
I enjoy the Rehab team.
Cons
High Productivity standards, poor benefits, non-competitive pay
If your the supervisors favorite then you have nothing to worry about and very low pay bad hours
Laundry Aide/Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Venice, FLJuly 30, 2018
Horrible supervisor, bad hours, cut back hours, no communication, supervisor picks favorites unfairly, bad scheduling, horrible environment, lack of personal life, supervisor tends to guilt trip you to get what she wants, supervisor is allowed to have a life outside work some of her employees are not allowed, changes the scheduling at last moment always with no care. Over worked yet underworked, expected to do too much for bad pay, makes her workers leave early so she gets more pay I was hired with the promise of only working days not nights or evenings and getting every other weekend off but new supervisor came and changed that I now work every weekend and I do night/evenings with no regard to my personal life supervisor just doesn't care, and their were rumors that when supervisor was hired she would give us a good pay raise its going on 4 years and nothing.... bad place to work!
On the up side I have met really great cna's and receptionists that are great at their job!
Pros
Paid time off
Cons
Bad managment, bad hours, underpaid, favoritisim

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HCR ManorCare. Our community is ready to answer.

41.1K
31K

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight