HCR ManorCare Employee Reviews

It was cool job for just starting out in nursing field.
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  United StatesAugust 16, 2018
Being a member of this team was cool. I met a lot people and are still friends with some of them till this day. I just wouldn’t put my family members in one of there facilities. I’ll take care of them myself.
Pros
It’s a good experience for people new to the nursing field.
Cons
It’s hard work
A great starter job
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Flushing, MIAugust 16, 2018
I worked 8 hour shift I started on 2nd shift and moved to 1st shift. Started with a med pass to 28 patients. Then some charting and maybe note some Doctor orders. and then another med pass. The managers were great, very supportive and available. The work culture was good. Each Nurse had a whole hall alone so there was no time for visiting with each other. The hardest part of my job was to get it all in in 8 hours on so many patients. The most enjoyable part was how well I got to know the patients and their families.
Pros
A close relationship with my patients
Cons
a lot of patients.
Great "work" family
Quality Assurance Consultant (Former Employee) –  United StatesAugust 14, 2018
Great training provided, good support from superiors. Family and work time balanced, except in emergency cases. Training seminars paid for and provided.
Pros
support from superiors, compensation
Cons
traveled every week
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, DEAugust 14, 2018
I like the staff I work with on my shift. We are supportive of each other and willing to jump in when needed. The most enjoyable portion of my job is working on the Alzheimer's unit.
Pros
Working on my unit
Good managment team
Housekeeping Manager (Former Employee) –  Naples, FLAugust 13, 2018
Great work culture only not much room to grow. Benefits are great and fair .
Compensation its ok could be better compare other companies on the same market.
Pros
Profecional enviroment
Cons
Short staff
Toxic environment and underpaid
Sales (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIAugust 13, 2018
Negative environment. Toxic, high stress, low pay. MBD has no clue what she is doing and major micromanaging. Get rid of Sales Manager! Not enjoyable
Pros
Sales reps
Cons
Sales manager
Clinically driven environment
Backup Director of Rehabilitation (Current Employee) –  Sterling Heights, MIAugust 13, 2018
I can only speak toward the current location I work at which is located in Sterling Heights, MI. I recommended this environment especially for new graduates. It's currently a very structured day with lots of collaboration with other therapists. Over the past 5 years I have earned a leadership role; often managing all elements of the department for 1 week to 10 day periods.
Pros
Collaboration, hours, management.
Cons
Low pay
Team environment
MSW Student Intern/Hospice Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Wyomissing, PA 19610August 13, 2018
The work environment was inclusive and collaborative. All staff, medical and social work, were able to stick to weekly team meetings to review cases. As an intern and volunteer, I felt support and included in the planning process.
Pros
Supportive
Cons
Lack of employment opportuity at the time
summary
Admissions Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 11, 2018
excellent work environment. Care and concern for patients and staff. Wanted employee participation as well as patient input for their own needs. Good culture and learning experience.
Pros
good environment
Truly awful for everyone
DIETARY AIDE (Former Employee) –  Fond du Lac, WIAugust 10, 2018
I was appalled at the poor living conditions for the residents. It felt more like they were living in a prison than that they were being taken care of. A wholly unhealthy environment all around. Management was also terrible, ignoring any problem that was brought up to them in any respect. Some members of management were downright discriminatory and harassed both the employees and the residents. Quite frankly, the whole thing should be shut down.
Wouldn’t recommend for first time CNA’s or anyone wanting to advance in the medical field
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAAugust 10, 2018
ManorCare was my first CNA job. I was there all of a month and left because of management issues, problems on the floor and poor hours. I was full time would only get at the most 37 hours a week, but even then the scheduler always sent people home early or told them to not come in because they had too many aides. Aides on the floor have terrible teamwork, they pick and choose who they want to help leaving you unable to do a two assist and ultimately leaving the resident to possibly wait hours for cares. Management is incompetent. You go to them and nothing gets fixed, they just act oblivious to the problems on the floor. I went to management when I first started getting trained up until the day I left with concerns. You know what that left me with? Being called out on blast at a meeting. Forget open door policy. The DON told everyone in a meeting that I was complaining nobody helped, which should’ve stayed confidential. Somehow word spread on the floor I was leaving which management themselves must’ve told, again I’m not sure what’s up with the gossip. I wouldn’t recommend this place to a new aide or anyone looking to advance in their medical career. Go somewhere else! Somewhere that will prepare you efficiently, where the pay is worth the workload and mess you deal with.
Cons
Lack of teamwork, terrible management, poor hours, expensive insurance
DON, UNIT MANAGER, INFECTION Control (Former Employee) –  Easton, PA 18045August 10, 2018
I worked for this company for 10 years, worked my way up to DON .... worst experience of my life. Corporate involvement is high and dictate your duties, down to every detail. Too many new people in administration and can not keep up with the requirements of corporate.
nothing
Nurse Aide (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVAugust 9, 2018
i got nothing to say. patients needs care and loved but mostly the workers their just work thats it.. they perform their duties. the management staff dont even know there staff..
Great team, but definitely stressful with unrealistic demands on productivity
Occupational Therapist (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHAugust 7, 2018
I've worked for HCR ManorCare at many locations throughout the US over the past 5 years. I've really appreciated the therapy team and management I have met over the years. They are supportive and helpful, although often are severely stressed out over high productivity demands and unrealistic expectations. I feel compensation is fair and there are decent benefits. I enjoy the population I work with and the time I get to spend with them to help them meet their goals. Some of my biggest frustrations with the HCR company and my current job is that there is a very large variance in the amount of hours I receive due to a fluctuating census. I am often traveling to several other buildings weekly just to maintain above 30 hours a week... I rarely approach 40 hours a week, although I am full-time. The productivity standards are also too high in my opinion and are difficult to achieve without sacrificing quality of care. I think HCR ManorCare still has a lot of improvements to make to ensure their employees have appropriate support from management, more opportunities for career advancement, and a better work environment.
Great Rehab department
OCCUPATIONAL THERAPIST (Current Employee) –  Fountain Valley, CAAugust 7, 2018
The flexibility at Manor Care in the Rehab department is above and beyond and it creates a great work/life balance. The upper management leaves something to be desired. It would be nice if the administrative staff was more present during the day and available to address specific patient needs.
Excellent company to work for
Regional Director of Admissions (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 7, 2018
Manor Care recruited me right after graduation. I had the best managers who groomed me professionally to great success. I was able to promote my ideas for company growth and management listened and worked with me. Together we all made a boat load of money and grew our careers
Pros
Great management
Cons
Every job has their cons, find the positives and concentrate on those
Love my job!
LPN SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Normal, ILAugust 7, 2018
The place feels like home and since I am there more than I am at home it's nice to have that structure. I love my co-workers and the patient's and I wouldn't trade this job for any other.
Pros
Feels like home
Cons
I work too much
First got report from off going nurse, then counted the narcotics. Typical day passed medications , did scheuled treatments evaluated all patients,
R.N. supervisor (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHAugust 7, 2018
The most enjoyable part of job was the personal level with the patients. I enjoyed talking with them and watching them progress. I learned a lot about extended care and working in an extended care facility. A typical day was getting report counting narcotics, passing meds and doing treatments for 20 patients. Additional duties include supervision of STNA'S, doing assessments on new admissions, getting orders from physicians according to patient needs, being aware and addressing problems that arise that may affect the patients condition. Hardest part that I noticed was getting everything done, giving quality care, when things out of the ordinary combine with the planned shift. This is expected and certainly not in anyone's control.
Pros
flexible schedule wonderful patients
Cons
work load high, frequent call offs, admisson proces takes 2-3 hours to do in addition to regular work
Be flexible
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 6, 2018
The company is in the process of being sold. The benefits are horrible. Not much time off. People are getting written up for using sick time for doctors appointments, which is allowed by policy.
The staff members are a great team to work with.
Physical Therapist Assistant (Current Employee) –  Delray Beach, FLAugust 5, 2018
The facility, the staff and the patients are excellent to work with. The environment is very pleasant. You can feel comfortable exploring new options when working with patients.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HCR ManorCare. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Powered by Comparably

56out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at HCR ManorCare.