Hach Employee Reviews

Great Place to work if you want to make a difference in people's live all over the world
Talent Scout (Current Employee) –  ColoradoFebruary 4, 2018
Hach is this great unknown gem in Northern Colorado. 70+ years in business; feels like a start-up with the stability of a long-term successful corporation behind; most inspiring is the fact that I am able to work for a company that takes water quality around the globe serious --there are few things in live that are just as or more important.

Employees are held to high standards, they work hard, it is fast-paced and you don't see people stand around a water cooler and chat for 30 minutes, but they also have fun and you learn so much - I like this environment, but it isn't for everyone. Collaborative cross-functional teamwork environment.

I have never worked for a company that offers the kind of development opportunities and training opportunities and takes promoting within so serious.

The hardest part of my job and probably many jobs out there is to juggle meetings, projects, etc. that are so common in a corporate culture, while also making or trying to make an impact in the actual job for which you were hired for.
Pros
Free Coffee, Tea, Ice Cream, Good Benefits, Above standard 401k match
Cons
old facilities (but they working on that);
overall was a fun place to work
Color Specialist (Former Employee) –  Ames, IADecember 24, 2017
got to work with different chemicals and got to learn a lot more about how chemicals interact with one another
hours were good pay was decent
very independent job
Good old boy syndrum
Senior Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Loveland, COSeptember 24, 2017
You have to be a friend or buddy of a manager to be able to advance. Promotion arte by who you know and not what you accomplish or do for the company to make profits.
Pros
Cons
Dead end job for an outsider.
Great Management, A Lot of Work
Chemical Technician (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAAugust 24, 2017
I worked in the QC labs and our lab management team was amazing. Lab processes and protocols are very easy to understand.
Unfortunately, the hours are long and the employee moral is not the greatest. Good company to work for when entering the science industry.
Pros
Good Management, Great Benefits
Cons
Overall moral, Long Hours, Hazardous Work Enviornment
Don't ever work for Hach you'll regret it later find a better place and pays more money and were they don't treat there temps as just another number
Building 2 (Former Employee) –  Loveland, COAugust 3, 2017
Regret excepting the position there it is the worsted place I have ever worked there communication is the worsted always out of parts management suck!
Pros
I met some good people there thats about it
Cons
Its not what you know its who you know. Worsted management ever your just another number
steady work
Assembly (Former Employee) –  Loveland, COJuly 19, 2017
learning different jobs and how to use specialized equiptment. Laser etching probe bodies was fun and building turbidimeters and probes was very interesting.
Pros
increased knowledge of electronics and soldering
Cons
treated like just another cog in a giant machine
Company itself doing well but everyone is overworked.
Chemical Technician (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJuly 19, 2017
Hach could benefit from more part-time positions and an entirely new facility with more space. Every square foot of that facility is already used for something. As a result, there's no privacy.

Ten-minute morning department meetings kept us feeling in the loop and like a team.

The QC lab's culture was genuinely good because both beginners and veterans would easily ask nearby co-workers for advice on tricky chemical tests.

Even hard-working, well-liked, and/or professional co-workers vanished permanently without warning, and not necessarily of their own choice.

Co-workers' professionalism was impressive but cold. (Before Hach, I had never worked at a company where nobody never says good morning or hello to any of their co-workers.)

Good benefits such as company clothing stipend IF you last several months. (When you do your laundry at home, you'll see corrosive burns in your pants and shirts often.)

It's very draining work but didn't require any work to be taken home.

You won't get constant emails, voicemails, or text messages when you're on-duty or off-duty.

Working in a department full of people who always keep their emotions in check is good for running accurate QC tests.

It's impossible to leave the facility long enough during your lunch break to get fast food for lunch, fill up the gas tank, pick up kids from day care, or run to the bank.
Pros
Excellent, practical on-the-job training in chemistry.
Cons
Co-workers consider it acceptable to have to work OT every other week.
great work place
Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAMay 30, 2017
great company, nothing bad to say, only thing is the dress code was crazy(no shorts) there are short lunches and breaks, and at the time it was on the middle of the summer 99 degree weather with all black on with black steal toe boots on
Pros
great warehouse
Cons
short breaks
Good Company
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Loveland, COApril 8, 2017
I alway liked the company.The people there were very nice and I got alone with everyone. The hours were great and the days I worked were good days.Management was great and I learned alot.
Pros
Good Company
Cons
I had no cons
decent job
Operator II (Former Employee) –  Ames, IA 50010March 5, 2017
The job was decent, the manager only see the bottom line, treat you like you're replaceable and don't expect to escape a bad manager without quitting.

The job is stressful but you will become calloused to it
Lots of very engaged people, plenty of responsibility
Engineering Manager (Former Employee) –  Loveland, COFebruary 27, 2017
Hach is one of dozens of medium-sized businesses owned by the very-large Danaher Corporation. Fast-paced and always challenging work.
No real leadership
ETS (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAOctober 3, 2016
everything with the Ames plant is poor, from leadership to quality control and documentation, training. Hard to imagine they make money this way. Benefits are sub-par and pay is low end for Ames. Team leaders have no training. They seem desperate to hire as many recent hires are felons,
Pros
Free food
Cons
poor training, unsafe environment, chemicals everywhere. No leadership
Competitive Environment
Assembly Technician (Former Employee) –  Loveland, COSeptember 14, 2016
Electronic Assembly for water filtration systems, sensors.
They were then used outside of the country wherever in the world the water quality is poor.
Pros
Teamwork
Cons
No benefits
Plenty of responsibility and opportunity to advance and learn.
Production Engineer/Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAApril 26, 2016
I have been at Hach for 14 months now. I've advanced within the company with opportunity to do so more in the future. It has plenty of opportunity to be an impact in and out of your department.
Challenging and fast paced work environment
Lead Field Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Liberty Township, OHApril 18, 2016
The Lead Field Service position was a balance of technical work and supervising/managing employees in a fast paced environment. The equipment that was repaired and serviced was analytical located in the field and in the lab. The equipment was used for water quality analysis and was instrumental for customers in helping to meet strict local and federal regulations. I also managed 15-20 individuals within the territory and worked closely with my divisional manager to enhance my skills and become a better leader and manager. The goal was to improve on the technical aptitude and efficiency of the technicians in order to best serve the customers and make them the best technicians they could be. I tracked numerous metrics and analyzed the data to see where improvements could be made both with the technicians and within the business model. This helped to not only provide superior customer service with qualified technicians but it allowed us to grow the business.The hardest part about the job was finding a good work life to personal life balance as it was a demanding job with a lot of travel. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to help others to become better at what they do.
Engaged
Manager (Former Employee) –  Loveland, COMarch 26, 2016
There is a true engagement of management to associates, however it at times feels more like "big brother". There is general loyalty amongst associates who have tenure with Hach. Management is top heavy and influenced by the parent company business models (Danaher). There seems to be split decisions amongst associates on if it's good or bad. The people who work here are good, solid people. They work hard and do what needs to be done to reach goals. Decent salaries, good benefits. Work/life balance varies depending on the department you work in.
Pros
Mission is on point. Onsite cafeteria.
Cons
Older facilities, crowded work spaces. "Lean" departments makes double the work for some.
Hach is a tightly ran ship, median pay, revolving door, great co workers, you will be over worked.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Loveland, COMarch 21, 2016
not good not bad, no training, some coworkers couldn't read, listen, or see and your not given addiquit tools to support them.

Managers say they value your input but disregard it as soon as you suggest it, upper management wants input about their department during reviews but tells you to go through your manager to relay that information to him....your manager will disregard what you say and doesn't talk about it....

There is a very very huge communication issue as this company...

Wages are decided by unethical practices that every corporation follows in regards to deciding fair pay...(Just because one company pays bare minimum doesn't mean you should match that)

This job is very stressful.

My co workers were semi professional with work ethic at most.

If you want to work for a company where every manager and co worker understand the real world and what it means to function with realistic goals and plans this is something the company is good at except sales....they project to high.
Pros
Every employee and manager gets reality and is very understanding.
Cons
some co workers couldn't read, listen, or see and you are not given addiquit tools to support them.
Rapidly growing company ran like a small mom and pop shop
Export Credit Analyst (Former Employee) –  Loveland, COFebruary 19, 2016
My time at Hach was overall a waste. Lots of favoritism, specially in the credit department. The credit manager is great but AR/AP supervisors not so much. If you are not a personal friend of theirs you will be stuck doing all the work their friends don't want to do. The equipment is outdated and old. I had to buy my own keyboard, mouse, calander, and office supplies. HR department is a huge mess and has a very high turnover rate. I started at 35,500, got a raise a few months later which put me at 38k, and was making 40,500 when I quit last week. Customer support agents make close to 50k. Good job if you just want to make your money and go home. But if your looking for a career, this is not the place.
Pros
Credit Manager is awesome
Cons
Lots of Favoritism
Bad Place to Work
Chemical Technician (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAFebruary 10, 2016
I am overall unhappy with everything this company has to offer, which is honestly nothing. There is no safety first and people including management( especially management) are rude. The atmosphere is very unsave and unhealthy. I regret ever accepting a contracting position with Hach. I would look anywhere else for employment if I knew what I was getting myself into. Not to mention that place is extremely cheap. No contract buyouts, no equipment replacement, and just run down and nasty.
Pros
No pros
Cons
bad benefits, no safety, bad management, no competitive wages....
Great company with superior products
Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  United StatesFebruary 8, 2016
Great company with a superior products. 60 years in business and an industry leader. Direct sales to end users, engineering firms, integrators and OEMS.