Hach Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Picking products for individual orders
Domestic Shipping (Former Employee) –  Ames, IASeptember 15, 2018
My duties were to grab an order sheet with some products from the track back between some shelfs or to grab the order sheet from the other location that was near where you entered the location and the go and grab the other products for the order and put them in a tote and then put the tote or totes down a rolling track for packers to pack them.
Pros
Scheduled breaks and scheduled lunches
Cons
Overtime every day which was from the first day I started which started out at 9, 10 hours or more per day
Colloborative and Variable Lab Work
Chemical Technician, Quality Control (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAMay 23, 2018
Working in Hach's Quality Control lab was enjoyable as the day always varied based on what products needed to be tested that day. Working in a larger lab with a good group of people definitely made the days go by faster. There were always new things to learn and promotions were available but I am not sure how much of a raise was given with promotions as I moved after only having been there for 2 months.
Pros
Good coworkers, colloborative environment
Cons
Short breaks, heating/cooling system was older
Seasoned sales person....not seasoned corporate suck up.
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Loveland, COMay 6, 2018
If you are a GREAT salesperson, you can make pretty good money. I did. Then told that destroying my goal might have been some strange anomaly. (Raises based on performance).

If you are not a Great at sucking up to people that don't know what it means to hustle, might not work out long term. Plenty of turnover to prove that.

Plenty of good people though. Even the CEO was straight up. Middle management is creating work to justify their 6 figure incomes.
Pros
Pay not bad, just be ready with the lipstick. Anyone tells you different, they are lying.
Cons
Corporate slave.
Nice coworkers, terrible job.
Operator II (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAMay 3, 2018
I liked it at first when I was hired but that’s because I was unaware of what I was getting myself into. First I was trained by a guy who had only been working for 2 months instead of a more experienced employee (which I knew for fact there were multiple guys who had been there 10+ years). I don’t fault him, he didn’t know a whole lot but he told me everything he knew. Fast forward after the probation period, I was “done” with my training and put on my own which didn’t go well at all because I wasn’t actually properly trained instead I was critized because I didn’t know everything, maybe I would’ve if I had a more experienced trainer and the machines weren’t complete trash. The machines were always breaking down because Hach is too cheap to replace anything instead you just taped it all back together and just rolled with it, otherwise you get yelled at for the machine not constantly running or you’d have a mechanic grumpily half fix it. The only plus about going in everyday was my fellow coworkers, they were nice and amazing to work with even though the job was utter garbage. If you needed help they were always there to help in light of a bad situation. I thought the breaks, time off and hours were fine but the rate of pay for the department I was in was low honestly compared to the guys upstairs who basically did the same job as us and got paid twice as much. All in all if you are looking to work here I personally wouldn’t but you need to have tough skin or just a care free attitude maybe you’ll handle it unlike me. And also get ready for zero training and poor management.
Pros
Hours, coworkers, breaks, healthcare, benefits
Cons
Management, morale, Training.
Each Department is Different, Company Goals = A+
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Loveland, COApril 24, 2018
This is a large company growing quickly. I felt like just another number in my department, not due to management but due to company culture. They are working on bringing technology up to date and in customer service/tech support that means our interactive software was not easy to navigate. I am grateful for my coworkers, and if you work well with numerical matrices it is a great place.
Pros
Coworkers, measured performance goals, location
Cons
Short breaks, too-high expectations, outdated facility
It's ok
Technical Support Representative (Current Employee) –  Loveland, COApril 12, 2018
Training was not good and the treatment from co-workers was horrible. They had no patience and the employees did nothing but badmouth their managers and job.
Great Place to work if you want to make a difference in people's live all over the world
Talent Scout (Current Employee) –  ColoradoFebruary 4, 2018
Hach is this great unknown gem in Northern Colorado. 70+ years in business; feels like a start-up with the stability of a long-term successful corporation behind; most inspiring is the fact that I am able to work for a company that takes water quality around the globe serious --there are few things in live that are just as or more important.

Employees are held to high standards, they work hard, it is fast-paced and you don't see people stand around a water cooler and chat for 30 minutes, but they also have fun and you learn so much - I like this environment, but it isn't for everyone. Collaborative cross-functional teamwork environment.

I have never worked for a company that offers the kind of development opportunities and training opportunities and takes promoting within so serious.

The hardest part of my job and probably many jobs out there is to juggle meetings, projects, etc. that are so common in a corporate culture, while also making or trying to make an impact in the actual job for which you were hired for.
Pros
Free Coffee, Tea, Ice Cream, Good Benefits, Above standard 401k match
Cons
old facilities (but they working on that);
overall was a fun place to work
Color Specialist (Former Employee) –  Ames, IADecember 24, 2017
got to work with different chemicals and got to learn a lot more about how chemicals interact with one another
hours were good pay was decent
very independent job
Good old boy syndrum
Senior Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Loveland, COSeptember 24, 2017
You have to be a friend or buddy of a manager to be able to advance. Promotion arte by who you know and not what you accomplish or do for the company to make profits.
Pros
Cons
Dead end job for an outsider.
Great Management, A Lot of Work
Chemical Technician (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAAugust 24, 2017
I worked in the QC labs and our lab management team was amazing. Lab processes and protocols are very easy to understand.
Unfortunately, the hours are long and the employee moral is not the greatest. Good company to work for when entering the science industry.
Pros
Good Management, Great Benefits
Cons
Overall moral, Long Hours, Hazardous Work Enviornment
Don't ever work for Hach you'll regret it later find a better place and pays more money and were they don't treat there temps as just another number
Building 2 (Former Employee) –  Loveland, COAugust 3, 2017
Regret excepting the position there it is the worsted place I have ever worked there communication is the worsted always out of parts management suck!
Pros
I met some good people there thats about it
Cons
Its not what you know its who you know. Worsted management ever your just another number
steady work
Assembly (Former Employee) –  Loveland, COJuly 19, 2017
learning different jobs and how to use specialized equiptment. Laser etching probe bodies was fun and building turbidimeters and probes was very interesting.
Pros
increased knowledge of electronics and soldering
Cons
treated like just another cog in a giant machine
Company itself doing well but everyone is overworked.
Chemical Technician (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJuly 19, 2017
Hach could benefit from more part-time positions and an entirely new facility with more space. Every square foot of that facility is already used for something. As a result, there's no privacy.

Ten-minute morning department meetings kept us feeling in the loop and like a team.

The QC lab's culture was genuinely good because both beginners and veterans would easily ask nearby co-workers for advice on tricky chemical tests.

Even hard-working, well-liked, and/or professional co-workers vanished permanently without warning, and not necessarily of their own choice.

Co-workers' professionalism was impressive but cold. (Before Hach, I had never worked at a company where nobody never says good morning or hello to any of their co-workers.)

Good benefits such as company clothing stipend IF you last several months. (When you do your laundry at home, you'll see corrosive burns in your pants and shirts often.)

It's very draining work but didn't require any work to be taken home.

You won't get constant emails, voicemails, or text messages when you're on-duty or off-duty.

Working in a department full of people who always keep their emotions in check is good for running accurate QC tests.

It's impossible to leave the facility long enough during your lunch break to get fast food for lunch, fill up the gas tank, pick up kids from day care, or run to the bank.
Pros
Excellent, practical on-the-job training in chemistry.
Cons
Co-workers consider it acceptable to have to work OT every other week.
great work place
Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAMay 30, 2017
great company, nothing bad to say, only thing is the dress code was crazy(no shorts) there are short lunches and breaks, and at the time it was on the middle of the summer 99 degree weather with all black on with black steal toe boots on
Pros
great warehouse
Cons
short breaks
Good Company
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Loveland, COApril 8, 2017
I alway liked the company.The people there were very nice and I got alone with everyone. The hours were great and the days I worked were good days.Management was great and I learned alot.
Pros
Good Company
Cons
I had no cons
decent job
Operator II (Former Employee) –  Ames, IA 50010March 5, 2017
The job was decent, the manager only see the bottom line, treat you like you're replaceable and don't expect to escape a bad manager without quitting.

The job is stressful but you will become calloused to it
Lots of very engaged people, plenty of responsibility
Engineering Manager (Former Employee) –  Loveland, COFebruary 27, 2017
Hach is one of dozens of medium-sized businesses owned by the very-large Danaher Corporation. Fast-paced and always challenging work.
No real leadership
ETS (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAOctober 3, 2016
everything with the Ames plant is poor, from leadership to quality control and documentation, training. Hard to imagine they make money this way. Benefits are sub-par and pay is low end for Ames. Team leaders have no training. They seem desperate to hire as many recent hires are felons,
Pros
Free food
Cons
poor training, unsafe environment, chemicals everywhere. No leadership
Competitive Environment
Assembly Technician (Former Employee) –  Loveland, COSeptember 14, 2016
Electronic Assembly for water filtration systems, sensors.
They were then used outside of the country wherever in the world the water quality is poor.
Pros
Teamwork
Cons
No benefits
Plenty of responsibility and opportunity to advance and learn.
Production Engineer/Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAApril 26, 2016
I have been at Hach for 14 months now. I've advanced within the company with opportunity to do so more in the future. It has plenty of opportunity to be an impact in and out of your department.