Hachette Book Group
72Above average

Hachette Book Group Employee Reviews

United States67 reviews
The people at HBG are great but leadership ignores the need for clear process and goals so things always seem haphazard and disorganized. Salaries are low which promotes low morale
It's fine to work here for a few years but don't stay long. They're not interested in retaining experienced people if they can get people for smaller salaries. Underpaid for design and web work. We had higher-ups steal credit for our ideas for improvement more than once. It's a large company that ultimately only cares about itself and shareholders, employees are replaceable. Jobs that could easily be over 50% work-from-home are required to work in the office.
Pros
Okay work/life balance, free books, occaisional meeting authors
Cons
Little-to-no remote working, few promotion prospects, poor communication between depts, higher-ups stole credit, underpaid for design, open plan office, HR doesn't look out for employees, too many meetings
Fun people training is great workers were like family always there when you needed them great benefits flexible hours and multiple shifts to accommodate you
Everything was great until I have a new Supervisor that is not exactly what I am use to very different in our job this facilities position is all hands on deck at all times now since my old supervisor left is like all on me I do majority all of the work
It's pretty laid back. There are some parts that are mor physical then other. They move you to other departments but they are pretty good at training you. Over all it's a pretty good place to work at.
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
worked with books all day. it was a great place to work. trying to make rate all the time was a bit stressful. I did enjoy working for the company. I had surgery done and was a temp so i lost my job.
This place is for people who would rather have there head in an computer than have a conversation with someone! Very quiet you can here a pin drop and also a little clicky there as well!
It was an enjoyable company a little fast paced, although with hard work it was proven to be worth while with exceptional benefits defiantly a good place to work.
Pros
Paid time off, full benefits
Cons
Not so flexible on hours
As a whole it is a good company. Compensation can be excellent for warehouse staff. Clerical and Administrative are over worked, underpaid, stressed and poorly managed. Long hours and lack of appreciation for a job well done. Some departments report to two locations which results in confusion
Fun and busy place to work. The atmosphere and management style is very collaborative and cooperative. I like the projects I get to work on and the open office is cool.
HBG is your typical publisher w low compensation but generous time off and work-from-home policies. 401k match does not kick in until 1 year, and matching does not begin vesting until 3.
Fast pace and fun workplace. Management would provide many benefits for the employees. The hardest part of the job was trying to do my inventory and ordering. The best part of the job was my supervisor. She was the best.
Pros
Free lunches, parties and outings
Cons
Not being able to move about
Good place to work and easy work, not too hard if in correct building and area. Some other areas can be more difficult. Lost of miscommunication, but can be easily solved if a diligent individual.
Fast paced. Friendly and helpful co-workers. Company lunches. A really good place for summer students to gain experience in warehouse. Opportunity to return for full time employment after age of 18. Good Insurance and benefits package.
Pros
Great experience and pay for summer help
Cons
Hachette Book group is an awesome company to work for in the business world. They know exactly how to take care of their employees and set them up for success.
Hachette offers a lot of autonomy to work to your strengths. But there can also be a lack of cohesive support within departments. So it can be difficult to feel like you are achieving what you need to.
Pros
Fresh fruit on Tuesdays
Cons
Lack of support from marketing and PR
Excellent place to work, its just the right size. Offices are centrally located and beautiful. Everyone is super nice and intelligent. They try their best to engage employees and contractors. Multiple layers of management can get a bit confusing, but overall they seem to care sincerely about their employees, their opinions and well being.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
confusing management structure
it can be very fast paced at any time. and can have its slow time as well. most days are even and level for pace. you can actually have a busy day if you choose too.
Hachette Book Group is the perfect place to begin your career and learn how to collaborate. The office space is open with no designated manager offices, modern video teleconferencing and all gender welcome. The office spaces present modernity for young workers with spacious spaces, conference rooms with aluminum framed frosted glass with unfinished ceilings, stylish furniture and a pool table.
Pros
Free coffee, milk products, Free fruit Tuesdays; Third Thursday Pizza, Wine, Beer; Art Gallery and Bake off events
Cons
Management style is outdated
I love working at Hachette. I've been here for two and a half years and would love to stay here for the long haul. I'm proud of the books we publish and value the insight that my coworkers and superiors bestow upon me. Great growth opportunities.
Extremely racist as a white female I have never been treated so disrepectfully in my life it is shocking that this is allowed to go on. I worked extremely hard and no matter what was all treated with contempt and blatant racism
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hachette Book Group. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
3.7Personal Development
3.5Career Opportunities
3.6Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight