Hachette Book Group Employee Reviews

I love working at Hachette
Assistant Editor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 7, 2018
I love working at Hachette. I've been here for two and a half years and would love to stay here for the long haul. I'm proud of the books we publish and value the insight that my coworkers and superiors bestow upon me. Great growth opportunities.
Racist communism
Returns Processor (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, INAugust 3, 2018
Extremely racist as a white female I have never been treated so disrepectfully in my life it is shocking that this is allowed to go on. I worked extremely hard and no matter what was all treated with contempt and blatant racism
Bad
Picking and Packing (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, INJuly 6, 2018
To many people in one area can’t make rate it isn’t the best place to work no room to move up in line won’t train anywhere else at all they have to many people
Pros
Pay I guess
Cons
Great place to work, if it weren't for the executive mindset
AR Reconciler/ Credit Analyst (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 8, 2018
Hachette has a really good working environment in that I enjoyed where I worked, who I worked with, and what I worked on. What it does not do well, that is very frustrating, is open lines of communication between higher management and the service functions of the company.
Executives are driven only by revenue centers, so all the attention, perks, and benefits go to Acquisitions, Editorial, and Sales. Support functions like IT, Finance, and Claims Management get lip service only while the executives pat their backs.
Can be so frustrating when you are in support and you like the company enough that you want to help. Would not be surprised if they get bought out and/or went out of business.
Pros
Great office locations, generally great management styles, open floor plans, casual work attire
Cons
limited benefits/raises/bonuses, events claimed as benefits that few enjoy
They didn't show employee loyalty.
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 30, 2018
There wasn't a concerted effort to retain employees in non-managerial positions. It is a pyramid with the little guys left at the bottom with little pay.
Not a good place to work in very racial against Americans
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, INMay 17, 2018
90% of employees non-english-speaking. All favoritism towards Spanish employees. If you are not willing to learn Spanish or are not bilingual already there is no advancement opportunities for you in this company. Poor management and time utilization skills. Most all coordinators in Leeds are related to upper management. Inadequate training and information on daily work faces through trainers two incoming employees. Very low pay for fat pace and demanding job. Would not recommend anybody acquire a job with this company as a full-time employee and most definitely not through a temporary service. Employees through temporary service are not treated as equals to other employees of the company.
Fun and well balanced
Shift Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, INMay 3, 2018
When given an advancement opportunity I took it however, it was the toughest time due to being the only white superior besides 1 white supervisor which lead me to feel as if I was being discriminated against so I decided to go back to school.
Very Bias
Desktop Support Level II (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 29, 2018
A little racist and bias. Worse corporate job I have ever had to work for and I would not recommend. Some people seem to like and be there for a while. Just my feeling.
Pros
7 work days
Cons
Poor work environment. Terrible management.
Workplace Culture
Sr sales Coordinator Trade sales & Special Markets (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 13, 2018
Everyone is like family, very friendly willing to help a new employee. Plenty of activities to promote the work-life balance. The managers are welcoming and easy to talk to.
Pros
activities outside of work, coworkers, room for growth
Cons
pay
Very Busy
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 7, 2018
You have so many deadlines and deliverables. You are so busy that the day goes by super quick. You will learn something new everyday. And if you love books then it's a great place to work.
Pros
Free Books
Cons
To many responsibilities
Worst experience ever
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  NYC, NYFebruary 14, 2018
My employer lied about payment and gave me bad checks. My bank has a hold on my account and I can’t access my money. He claimed it was my bank but it wasn’t it was his poor money management!
Never get a job here! He is a fake!
Cons
Bounced checks, two of them!
IT dept needs some help
Product Management Group (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 8, 2018
Great place to work, but upper level management need to work more with the team instead of letting the lower level co-worker take the fall for their poor decision making. The turnover rate is very high here because they do not value the team.

Learn to work together!
Pros
Free book and work life
Cons
Management is not in touch with their team, Management need to be more accountable for their decisions.
Not same company it was before the merge with Perseus!
Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 14, 2018
Company has been laying off staff in NYC and Boston and relocating to areas of the country where salaries are less. The work load has increased across the company as staff has been cut. People are overworked, stressed out and not particularly happy. However, the benefits are excellent.
Good people, tough to stay competative
Director, Internal Communications (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 29, 2017
This company is made of wonderful, collaborative, energetic and friendly people - by far the best asset of the company. Leadership changes over the years have brought the company to focus more on growth, expansion, and bottom line, rather than publishing meaningful content. The list is mostly great, but some books are rushed, some are bought at great prices because of celebrity when it is known they won't earn back. Employees are tasked to do more with less as the company tries to stay competitive in a tough industry with small margins. Entry level salaries are low - as they are throughout the publishing world.
Pros
good colleagues, good benefits
Cons
staff feel overworked, stretched too thin
Poor Leadership
Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, INAugust 16, 2017
The Leadership team in Indiana is horrible at Hachette Book Group, they are all friends and have been for 20 years and it is very difficult to get into their inner circle. If you are not one of them and don't conform to be like them, they will force you out by any means necessary. Disappointing for very large global company to have such poor leadership.
Pros
Discounts on books, good benefits
Cons
Everything else, leadership, environment, poor working conditions
Would not recommend working at HBG.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 15, 2017
Moving up is very slow in the company unless you know the right people. The compensation is minimal at best for the amount of work that you do and upper management will not recognize it.
Pros
Free Books
Common Theme
IT Professional (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 29, 2017
A company fast on the downhill slope. With many layoffs and re-locations of jobs to Indiana, culture is not good here. Many reviews about Hachette not a good place to be, so seems to be a repetitive theme.
Pros
Free Books
Cons
Many. See Above.
Talented and Thoughtful, Underappreciated and Dismissed
Customer Service Senior Representative (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 22, 2017
Pros: Vacation time and sick day policies are pretty great. Work in a collective of intelligent and creative folks. Some free books, otherwise excellent discount on imprints and great discounts on distributed titles. Convenient location for commuting, in the heart of Boston. Many excellent eateries in the area for lunch.

Cons: Seasoned employees should worry about when they will be dropped/chopped for some young thing though who may lack in experience is the right $ on paper.

Symptom of the capitalist society, rather than a cultural one.
Workplace is steady
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, INMay 15, 2017
Good work. Management is good. Hard work equals good pay but the amount of illegals that work there is horrendous. Every meeting is translated. I was operating heavy equipment and didn't have a translator to tell them anything, they didnt understand, making the work environment dangerous.The attendance policy is horrendous as well.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Insurance, Co-workers, attendance policy
productive
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, INMay 5, 2017
Good benefits, good work schedule, good holiday paid days, plenty of cross training available, nice perks to win, generous end of the year bonus, nice employee areas
benefits
Cons
management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hachette Book Group. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.8Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

3.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Hachette Book Group Reviews by Location