Hachette Book Group Employee Reviews

Great Student Summer Job!
Warehouse associate (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, INFebruary 18, 2019
Fast paced. Friendly and helpful co-workers. Company lunches. A really good place for summer students to gain experience in warehouse. Opportunity to return for full time employment after age of 18. Good Insurance and benefits package.
Pros
Great experience and pay for summer help
Excellent Company
Senior Test Analyst (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, INFebruary 4, 2019
Hachette Book group is an awesome company to work for in the business world. They know exactly how to take care of their employees and set them up for success.
Fun place to work
Senior Business Analyst, Business Intelligence (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 2, 2019
Excellent place to work, its just the right size. Offices are centrally located and beautiful. Everyone is super nice and intelligent. They try their best to engage employees and contractors. Multiple layers of management can get a bit confusing, but overall they seem to care sincerely about their employees, their opinions and well being.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
confusing management structure
fast passed
Shipping Associate (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, INNovember 27, 2018
it can be very fast paced at any time. and can have its slow time as well. most days are even and level for pace. you can actually have a busy day if you choose too.
Place to cut your teeth
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 9, 2018
Hachette Book Group is the perfect place to begin your career and learn how to collaborate. The office space is open with no designated manager offices, modern video teleconferencing and all gender welcome. The office spaces present modernity for young workers with spacious spaces, conference rooms with aluminum framed frosted glass with unfinished ceilings, stylish furniture and a pool table.
Pros
Free coffee, milk products, Free fruit Tuesdays; Third Thursday Pizza, Wine, Beer; Art Gallery and Bake off events
Cons
Management style is outdated
I love working at Hachette
Assistant Editor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 7, 2018
I love working at Hachette. I've been here for two and a half years and would love to stay here for the long haul. I'm proud of the books we publish and value the insight that my coworkers and superiors bestow upon me. Great growth opportunities.
Racist communism
Returns Processor (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, INAugust 3, 2018
Extremely racist as a white female I have never been treated so disrepectfully in my life it is shocking that this is allowed to go on. I worked extremely hard and no matter what was all treated with contempt and blatant racism
Bad
Picking and Packing (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, INJuly 6, 2018
To many people in one area can’t make rate it isn’t the best place to work no room to move up in line won’t train anywhere else at all they have to many people
Pros
Pay I guess
Fast pace, nice shifts
Returns Processor (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, INJune 12, 2018
Worked 5am-1pm day went by fast. 3 breaks two 15min breaks and one 30 min lunch. Worked in returns not hard work many people have been there years workers are friendly. Pay is low! Overtime was offered but not mandatory enough coworkers volunteered for it so I'm sure that's why but overtime was never mentioned as being mandatory. Full-time employees with the company sometimes sent to other buildings to help out. Many college kids or those in high school come to work in the summer.
Pros
Friendly coworkers and management, hours
Cons
physical, pay
Great place to work, if it weren't for the executive mindset
AR Reconciler/ Credit Analyst (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 8, 2018
Hachette has a really good working environment in that I enjoyed where I worked, who I worked with, and what I worked on. What it does not do well, that is very frustrating, is open lines of communication between higher management and the service functions of the company.
Executives are driven only by revenue centers, so all the attention, perks, and benefits go to Acquisitions, Editorial, and Sales. Support functions like IT, Finance, and Claims Management get lip service only while the executives pat their backs.
Can be so frustrating when you are in support and you like the company enough that you want to help. Would not be surprised if they get bought out and/or went out of business.
Pros
Great office locations, generally great management styles, open floor plans, casual work attire
Cons
limited benefits/raises/bonuses, events claimed as benefits that few enjoy

Want to know more about Hachette Book Group?

Ask a question
They didn't show employee loyalty.
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 30, 2018
There wasn't a concerted effort to retain employees in non-managerial positions. It is a pyramid with the little guys left at the bottom with little pay.
Not a good place to work in very racial against Americans
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, INMay 17, 2018
90% of employees non-english-speaking. All favoritism towards Spanish employees. If you are not willing to learn Spanish or are not bilingual already there is no advancement opportunities for you in this company. Poor management and time utilization skills. Most all coordinators in Leeds are related to upper management. Inadequate training and information on daily work faces through trainers two incoming employees. Very low pay for fat pace and demanding job. Would not recommend anybody acquire a job with this company as a full-time employee and most definitely not through a temporary service. Employees through temporary service are not treated as equals to other employees of the company.
Fun and well balanced
Shift Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, INMay 3, 2018
When given an advancement opportunity I took it however, it was the toughest time due to being the only white superior besides 1 white supervisor which lead me to feel as if I was being discriminated against so I decided to go back to school.
Very Bias
Desktop Support Level II (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 29, 2018
A little racist and bias. Worse corporate job I have ever had to work for and I would not recommend. Some people seem to like and be there for a while. Just my feeling.
Pros
7 work days
Cons
Poor work environment. Terrible management.
Workplace Culture
Sr sales Coordinator Trade sales & Special Markets (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 13, 2018
Everyone is like family, very friendly willing to help a new employee. Plenty of activities to promote the work-life balance. The managers are welcoming and easy to talk to.
Pros
activities outside of work, coworkers, room for growth
Cons
pay
Very Busy
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 7, 2018
You have so many deadlines and deliverables. You are so busy that the day goes by super quick. You will learn something new everyday. And if you love books then it's a great place to work.
Pros
Free Books
Cons
To many responsibilities
Worst experience ever
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  NYC, NYFebruary 14, 2018
My employer lied about payment and gave me bad checks. My bank has a hold on my account and I can’t access my money. He claimed it was my bank but it wasn’t it was his poor money management!
Never get a job here! He is a fake!
Cons
Bounced checks, two of them!
IT dept needs some help
Product Management Group (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 8, 2018
Great place to work, but upper level management need to work more with the team instead of letting the lower level co-worker take the fall for their poor decision making. The turnover rate is very high here because they do not value the team.

Learn to work together!
Pros
Free book and work life
Cons
Management is not in touch with their team, Management need to be more accountable for their decisions.
Not same company it was before the merge with Perseus!
Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 14, 2018
Company has been laying off staff in NYC and Boston and relocating to areas of the country where salaries are less. The work load has increased across the company as staff has been cut. People are overworked, stressed out and not particularly happy. However, the benefits are excellent.
Good people, tough to stay competative
Director, Internal Communications (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 29, 2017
This company is made of wonderful, collaborative, energetic and friendly people - by far the best asset of the company. Leadership changes over the years have brought the company to focus more on growth, expansion, and bottom line, rather than publishing meaningful content. The list is mostly great, but some books are rushed, some are bought at great prices because of celebrity when it is known they won't earn back. Employees are tasked to do more with less as the company tries to stay competitive in a tough industry with small margins. Entry level salaries are low - as they are throughout the publishing world.
Pros
good colleagues, good benefits
Cons
staff feel overworked, stretched too thin

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hachette Book Group. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.7InHerSight Score

3.8Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

3.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Hachette Book Group Reviews by Location