Hagerstown Community College Employee Reviews

Great to Work for
English as a Second Language Instructor (Current Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDJune 10, 2018
I haven't had a bad experience with any of my coworker or supervisors. Every one within the department has been very helpful. They go above and beyond to help with any questions and concerns.
Great educational resource for all
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDMay 31, 2018
Standard work hours, supportive supervisor, flexible time-off, relaxed atmosphere, periods of chaos, low salary (hardest part of job), working with intelligent, good-hearted people (best part of job)
Pros
Intellectual co-workers
Cons
Low pay
Slow-paced, but learned a lot
Computer Repair Clinic Assistant/Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDApril 26, 2018
A typical day at work was slow-paced and for the most part, we never knew what to work on other than things that were told of us to do at the last minute.

I learned a lot about ordering parts for computers. I learned a lot about taking in customers and what forms to sign, how to talk with them on the phone, and how to document the steps taken to fix their computers. I learned a lot about troubleshooting/fixing computers. I learned a lot about organization and communication.

The hardest part of my job was trying to get work to do.

The most enjoyable part of my job was fixing the computers.
Pros
Steady flow of work.
productive environment
Administartive Aide (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDApril 17, 2018
The Trio Grant Progarm at HCC was a very fun and inclusive place to work. I learned a lot of office skills while i was there. it was a good learning venture for me while going to school.
Pros
Good schedule, no weeknends
Cons
Temporary position
New management
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDApril 1, 2018
I honestly really did enjoy my time working at the college. It was convenient since I was a student and already on campus, and ideal because work put classes and grades first. Unfortunately there is new management, and while there are a lot of thing improving, they just don't seem to have everything together sometimes. Managers were decent, but could use more people skills.
Pros
Free shift meal
Cons
Sometimes there was no one around and I had to run the floor myself
very good.
Commercial Vehicle Transportation Manager (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDJanuary 29, 2018
Community College provides good educational opportunities in degree and continuing education, and allows traditional and non-traditional students to advance their careers.
position and security of department uncertain
Adjunct professor ceramics (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDJanuary 26, 2018
position and security of department uncertain. Class room moving to smaller and smaller facilities. low pay and long period of time to first pay check.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
low pay no benefits or job security
Director of Allied Health and Wellness
Director of Wellness, Allied Health (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDJanuary 11, 2018
I would have stayed at HCC for my entire tenure except that career advancement was blocked. But, what a great place to work. I cannot say enough about how professional the President, the Board and the Academic Dean were. I felt I was part of a team.
Pros
Strong professional atmosphere
Cons
Limited room for advancement
Great working environment with a supportive atmosphere.
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDDecember 8, 2017
HCC is a great place to work. The departments are well staffed and managed by experienced staff committed to the students and faculty alike. Adjunct instructors/professors are well paid and provided with good training opportunities at least once a year. The position can be challenging and sometimes stressful, but the students and staff are helpful and willing to assist each other. The college prides itself on providing a quality education to students and make sure to keep staff up to date with the latest teaching techniques and approaches.
Pros
Great schedule opportunities, wonderful staff and faculty.
Cons
Credit limits for adjuncts and difficulty in job advancement
Upper management
Employee (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDAugust 15, 2017
I was a former student so I experienced the college from both sides. The administration ruled from the top down, giving lip service to faculty led curricula.
Pros
Nice campus, Great infrastructure.
Cons
Micro-managing supervisor. Lack of serious leadership from the highest levels.
Overall really fun
Theater Technician (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDAugust 14, 2017
I enjoyed the time working the theater department. I loved the direction, and all the time spent behind the scenes. It was a great job learn a lot of tricks of the trades.
Flexible workplace
Peer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDMay 1, 2017
I enjoyed working at Hagerstown Community College because the workplace was fun, and most students were nice with me. I really liked helping students with mathematics and networking.
Pros
helps me keep my knowledges
Cons
always find ways to explain things to different people
very understanding
student worker aid (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDApril 30, 2017
I loved working at Hagerstown Comm College. Very understanding of Schedule. They work around your classes. I would tell anyone to work for HCC they are great.
Hagerstown Community College is a good community college with many good people. Unfortunately, creativity is discouraged
Director, Technical Innovation Center (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDJanuary 20, 2017
I was employed at HCC for over 20 years in two different capacities; first as an hourly non-exempt staff member and later in management. The first 10 years I worked in an environment in which great latitude was given to employees and management to achieve established goals. The last 10 years under a new president was a 180 degree departure from the earlier management team.

If you like being told exactly how to accomplish a task HCC will work for you. If you want to bring new ideas to the table be aware that they may be dismissed initially but will resurface as a new presidential initiative.
Pros
generally good work force, educating is a quality mission
Cons
Management is top down with little discretion given to either VP's or mid level managers
Great Work Environment
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDOctober 25, 2016
Hagerstwon Community College is a wonderful place to work and provides an excellent environment that promotes learning. The staff and faculty are excellent.
Typical day
Computer Data Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDJuly 5, 2016
My typical day involves entering courses into our Enterprise System. Also using Word, Excel, Access and Outlook for various other things.
Wonderful experience
Adjunct Faculty Nursing (Current Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDMay 14, 2016
Great experience teaching and sharing with student nurses. Wish there was more time spent in the classroom.
The director was very supportive and a great leader. She was also open to new ideas and suggestions and willing to allow me to implement my innovative ideas.
Pros
Great opportunity to share experience
Cons
Limited work hours
Student Advisor (Current Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDJanuary 15, 2016
Great place to work. Friendly atmosphere and always something new. Lots of different things to do on campus during each semester.
Great close-knit group, very flexible schedule and supportive/creative environment
Student Worker to the Technical Director (Current Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDOctober 12, 2015
The people I work closely with on a day to day basis are some of the greatest people I have met in my life. My immediate supervisors are very supportive and encouraging in the work environment. Because it was a student job the work schedule was flexible and I was constantly learning new skills including stage management, lighting design, set structure, properties management, and assistant directing. At the end of my time, I have been working independently on projects and have become more of a part of a team rather than extra help.
Pros
coworkers have great sense of humor, creativity, flexibility
Cons
unpredictability in the job, only student job, administration/higher management could be alot better
Fun workplace
Student Worker Food Service (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDAugust 11, 2015
Working on campus was a great idea. They were flexible with my schedule, and worked well around my classes. Very nice people.
Pros
Weekends off, free meals under 7 dollars, good scheduling and flexibility