Haggen, Inc. Employee Reviews

Steady work environment
CUSTOMER SERVICE, CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZMay 1, 2018
I enjoyed working for haggen food & pharmacy. I loved my team associates and the customers who came in. It was a nice job that taught me how to exceed customer appreciation.
Great place to work.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAApril 2, 2018
This is a great company to work for. In my career it was the best place I have worked. I was given the freedom to challenge my team to exceed our goals and was allowed to take risks to deliver results.
Pros
Fair, enjoyable, family.
Horrible management
Service Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Auburn, WAMarch 30, 2018
Management was awful, would not communicate. Changed the rules one day then changed them to something completely different the next day. Played favorites and were lazy.
The worst employment experience I have ever had.
Guest Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Bellingham, WAMarch 28, 2018
Management at Haggen is out-dated and biased. Managers are allowed extensive amounts of paid vacation, and not held accountable for their actions. They work the schedule around their personal agenda and take unnecessary amounts of days off each week. Your requested days off will only be considered if the manager is feeling generous and they will find any excuse to tell you no.

The worst part of this job is that you are not valued as an employee until you have worked there long enough to achieve journeyman through the union. For example, these employees are asked to work several different positions during one work day consistently without any compensation for additional positions worked.

The best part of the job is the other employees within the store. There are a large amount of amazing employees at this store/company. It is unfortunate that they are all treated so poorly. I have made lasting friendships during my employment here.

I would not recommend working here to anyone.
Pros
Cons
Incompetent management, unfair treatment, low wages
Not the place they want you to think they are
Night Stocker (Former Employee) –  Mount Vernon, WAJanuary 30, 2018
this company would like people to think they are about family when they are only about the getting the day done. No one would check dates on the produces and they did not rotate the shelf's
Parcel (Former Employee) –  Burlington, WAJanuary 2, 2018
Best way to get stuff done is keep to yourself and just do your work always smile and ask how the customers day is going and ask if they need help finding anything.
Very Friendly
Video Clerk (Former Employee) –  Stanwood, WADecember 19, 2017
Hagen is very organized and very friendly. They are helpful to their customers and employees. Always willing to give advice. Customer services is above and beyond.
Pros
Friendly, clean and professional
Nice working environment
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Burien, WADecember 5, 2017
Unfortunately haggen is no longer in business but when I worked there I like it. I wish we would've got some type of raise though. Everyone was treated fairly.
Incompetence at all turns
General Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WANovember 20, 2017
I had the displeasure of working for Haggen during the acquisition by Albertsons. They hired an extra CEO for the transition who got paid millions in compensation. However, they were so incompetent about how to run their business, they went bankrupt in 9 months! They tried to transition our store to a Haggen. Haggen wants to be like Whole Foods only minus the quality and integrity. Our store was in a low income neighborhood. Having prices go up 30-40% overnight doomed the transition from the get go.

Just horrible, all the way around.
The sampling was very cool also their cashiering system
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 6, 2017
Only worked there for a short time before they laid me off but I had a good time and the cashiering system was pretty cool also they had some new products that were nice. Too expensive though.
Pros
sampling
Cons
too expensive
Worked for a month, then was fired with 0 previous warnings or notice, before probation ended
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ferndale, WASeptember 23, 2017
The people I worked with were great. They were friendly, and helpful, and easy to talk to often. Management, however, was lacking. They were very understaffed most of the time, with people either leaving or getting fired before probation was up. Before being fired, I was never written up, I was never given any verbal warnings. In fact, I was praised and thanked a number of times by PIC's for pulling extra weight on days they needed more people. I never got a chance to defend or explain myself, or to correct my mistakes. I received a customer complaint, and a PIC complaint on the same day as I was fired and, as far as I know, those were the only complaints I had ever received. Several other employees have told me about similar experiences. Perhaps it's just me, but these seem like manipulative, and poor business tactics. Work at Haggens' is not secure, they have little regard for what you do outside of work, and I would not recommend applying.
Pros
10% discount on groceries. Likable coworkers
Cons
Always understaffed. Poorly managed. Little to no business ethics.
Worst experience in my life!
Lead Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Palmdale, CASeptember 4, 2017
I worked at Haggen for 6 months and those were the worst six months of my life. They were very stressful because almost from the start they failed to capture any of the market space in Southern California and as a result went bankrupt.
Our store was a great store, unfortunately it closed with the Safeway merger.
Cashier/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Silverdale, WAAugust 15, 2017
We had a great team of people at the Silverdale Albertsons (Haggen). It was a fast paced job that kept us very busy. We had a great management team. I loved the people I worked with and I formed lifetime friendships with many customers. The hardest thing about my job, was that our store closed after 17 years of working for Albertsons.
Pros
Great co workers
Cons
Our store closed
This company just wants people to work for as little as possible and will try to get rid of any employee for anyreason to keep hourly wage costs down
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAAugust 14, 2017
I worked for this company for over ten years the management was very poor once they sold to a private investment firm. If I didn't leave for personal reasons I would have left because of the awful store management.
Short
General Associate (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJune 19, 2017
I worked at one of the Haggen converted Safeways, and while the store simply received a new coat of paint and retained most of the store staff. The company went under about 3 months after the purchase of my store. Due to the lack of experience at Haggen I cant make a review.
Fun and enjoyable
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Stanwood, WAJune 3, 2017
I really enjoyed being a courtesy clerk at haggen, you do your own thing and clean and help customers and push carts. You're always busy and always have things to keep you busy, I really loved and enjoyed haggen. I quit though because I had a family emergency that was far away from home.
Great Employees
Fresh Made Clerk (Former Employee) –  Escondido, CAApril 3, 2017
The product was great and the employees and managers were good to work with. Only down fall was they went out of business. If the company would have did their research and started out slow they would have made it.
Pros
Great Product
Cons
Went oujt of Business
Poor upper management
Front End Bagger (Former Employee) –  Keizer, ORMarch 8, 2017
No matter how many times it was brought to their attention they never lowered prices in our store.resulting in little to no sales and the store closing.
Pros
Looks good
Cons
Employees get complaints after complaint from customers with no way to remedy the problem.
Miss leading
Cashier/Checker (Former Employee) –  Redondo Beach, CAFebruary 26, 2017
Not enough communication, and very disorganized place to work at.
management is not up to date with the company policies or updates
Lies to its employees
wonderful store
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Paso Robles, CAFebruary 19, 2017
when haggen too over our vons store I was excited to be a part of it but with high prices and low hours the store didn't last long and I was one of the first 17 the got laid off .

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Haggen, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.1

1.9Personal Development

2.4Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight