Haggen, Inc. Employee Reviews

horrible place, aweful management, no compensation
Sales clerk in seafood (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WANovember 11, 2018
Even working there for 9 months I never received any training, was scolded for teaching myself even when asking for help multiple times, issues with high tempered management, and wrongfully terminated even though I had union rights.
Pros
I learned to fillet salmon better
Cons
rude staff, lack of proper job training, volitile management, expensive union dues, extremely dirty and hazardus work environment, lack of full compensation even on an enjury with LNI claim.
A nice environment but can become stressful.
Starbucks Barista (Former Employee) –  Lake Stevens, WASeptember 30, 2018
Not a bad company for working a grocery store job. Was paid slightly above minimum wage as barista for their store owned starbucks only because my last job was above minimum by a decent amount so they agreed to pay me 40 cents more. Some upper management can treat you like you barely exist to their world. Was let go by the store manager and was given no reason when asked other than "we are taking advantage of probationary period. This is your last day." with no warnings prior to any mistakes I was making or rules I might have been breaking against my knowledge. Your job will not be secure here. Job can become incredibly busy and stressful during rushes especially when you are still learning the job. They are a union job which is always a benefit. They offer some other benefits as well but nothing out of the ordinary or special compared to other grocery store jobs. They give you a 10% crew discount but haggen is an expensive store to shop at compared to other albertson owned grocery stores so it wont really be any better than shopping at other stores. They will not let you have a free daily drink like a normal starbucks job does.
Pros
Union
Cons
Minimum wage, no job security
Checker Lead (Former Employee) –  Mount Vernon, WAJanuary 24, 2019
You must be able to work at a quick pace and have attention to detail. They are flexible in the hours you work because they are open 24 hours. Great benefits.
paid well with regular hours
Relief Manager (Former Employee) –  Port Angeles, WAAugust 6, 2018
Great place to work, however company was poorly run, resulting in bankruptcy. Any benefits that were included were from the union. The company spent too much on converting purchased stores and did not have enough to pay for cost of goods
Awful
Front Parcel (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAJune 4, 2018
The management was horrible, my manager literally tackled and hit a homeless woman in the face for shoplifting a can of soup for her kid. Watched the police separate the mother and child as the arrested her. Had to do constant unpaid overtime, no benefits, and I fought the assistant manager drinking on the job. I hated this job more than any other job I’ve had.
Clerk
STARBUCKS BARISTA (Former Employee) –  Stanwood, WAMay 30, 2018
Good company to work for. Good benefits and work environment. Management was good at my store, no complaints. Must enjoy working customer service and standing
journey man dont get full time hours
Checker/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Auburn, WAApril 26, 2018
They hire new people so they don't have to give full time and pay benefits. They also change your schedule on you often and bounce you back and forth from day to day(etc.graveyard,day,swing)
excellent
Associate (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAFebruary 3, 2019
I worked for this company for 15 years
I learned a lot about the food industry and making different types of food.
it is hard work but it is a union job I started out a low wage but at the end, my wage was at cost of living and could mange bills
Pros
get paid union wage
Cons
union doesnt stick up for you
The worst employment experience I have ever had.
Guest Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Bellingham, WAMarch 28, 2018
Management at Haggen is out-dated and biased. Managers are allowed extensive amounts of paid vacation, and not held accountable for their actions. They work the schedule around their personal agenda and take unnecessary amounts of days off each week. Your requested days off will only be considered if the manager is feeling generous and they will find any excuse to tell you no.

The worst part of this job is that you are not valued as an employee until you have worked there long enough to achieve journeyman through the union. For example, these employees are asked to work several different positions during one work day consistently without any compensation for additional positions worked.

The best part of the job is the other employees within the store. There are a large amount of amazing employees at this store/company. It is unfortunate that they are all treated so poorly. I have made lasting friendships during my employment here.

I would not recommend working here to anyone.
Pros
Cons
Incompetent management, unfair treatment, low wages
Similar to other grocery companies
WINE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Ferndale, WAJanuary 23, 2019
Overall a good place to work, I think grocery management is always challenging. No rewards for risk takers or creative solutions, best to just look at it as a job.
Terrible work environment
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Woodinville, WANovember 23, 2018
I was a deli clerk at Haggen for a couple of years. My coworkers were fine. I enjoyed working with them. What made this job so terrible was the store management. Abusive, harsh, bullying. I injured myself on the job, was on light duty for two weeks. The day after I was released from light duty, I was threatened with termination for being injured. Management became openly hostile toward me after I returned to full duty. I gave notice and left.
Pros
Employee discount, good coworkers
Cons
Worst management ever, ineffective union
Average
Confidential (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WA 98225November 5, 2018
Plenty of work, overtime not allowed
Independent work environment left to your own resources
a few management staff have stress issues due to understaffed and over worked
team managers are passive aggressive overseeing their team mates
team mates are in general unhappy with their managers
quiet office environment on a need to know basis management style
tasks cross over work between teams are either disconnected or neglected
cross communication with other teams are not encouraged
recently deterioration of employee morale due to current management
the base mission philosophy to support local growers is a good mission objective
Pros
free sample foods occassionally
Cons
poor management communication and deterioration of company morale
Very mondane clickish atmosphere
Dairy/deli anager (Current Employee) –  Snohomish, WAOctober 11, 2018
It's a very routine atmosphere nobody ses to enjoy their job . If you don't fit in with the g a group then your an outsider. Management core is very poor not informative. Not learning new things
Pros
I work Monday through Friday
Cons
Stagnit
Fun workplace, easygoing
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Burlington, WAJanuary 7, 2019
I did enjoy working here and the only reason I left was because I needed more hours. It was a very comfortable workplace and my coworkers were very easy to get along with. I would recommend working here for sure!
Pros
Discount on food any time you shop.
Great people, inconsistent company
ASSISTANT PRODUCE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Woodinville, WADecember 9, 2018
This company has been very good to me in many ways, but when you dive into the underlying problems, it's not a company I would recommend to stay with forever. They make it seem like a glorious and consistent job when you;re hired and promise you many opportunities to move up within the company upon hire, but realistically it's a lot of hard labor for minimum pay, inconsistent hours and promises that usually go unfulfilled.
Pros
Great people, fun job, great for an "in between-jobs" job
Cons
No room to grow, lack of pay, lack of life-balance respect
Ok place to work.
Courtesy Clerk/ Part time stocker (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WA 98502January 17, 2019
I haven't worked there for a long time so it might of changed but you were treated pretty fairly. Had to take up slack of other workers like a lot of retail jobs
fast and fun work place
Deli Associate (Current Employee) –  Oak Harbor, WAJanuary 8, 2019
Haggen is a great place to work they are family orientated and always look out for employees, I have learned a lot working there. I learned how to multitask and move in a faster pace.
Pros
The people you get to work with are amazing
Cons
breaks are not on time
In store managment was excellent, but corporate was a nightmare.
Demo Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lake Stevens, WADecember 4, 2018
I worked independantly in four different locations, I was supposed to be given directions and feedback from the corporate offices, unfortunatley my immdediate supervisor from corporate was NEVER available. In the time I worked there she must have taken almost half the year off, and her directions were always vague bordering on insensible.
Fun first job
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Puyallup, WASeptember 9, 2018
I worked at Haggen/Top foods in the beginning of 2011 through 2012 when they were dominantly in my region. The management was nice and my coworkers were easy to get along with.
Company did not do well in my area
GM/Produce/Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CANovember 14, 2018
My store was initially an Albertson's that was converted to Haggen. Only went well for the first two months or so and store was busy. However, due to high prices and lack of interest from clientele, business slowed down and eventually everyone was laid off and the store closed.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Haggen, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.1InHerSight Score

1.9Personal Development

2.4Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight