Hair Cuttery Salon Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
not a fan
stylist (Former Employee) –  Romeoville, ILAugust 14, 2018
The owners at our business were not good. Lots of stress, low pay.

I really felt that this was a good company until things went bad. My owner started yelling at random times because she wasn't making money. Not a good environment.
Had it’s ups and downs
Cosmetologist/Color Consultant (Former Employee) –  The Villages, FLAugust 8, 2018
It had its ups and downs but that’s with any job. The pay was good, advancement and rewards were excellent. Education was amazing. Great for a stylist starting out in the industry or winding down in their career.
Pros
Education, benefits
Cons
No breaks, worked avg of 60 hours per week
Good job but too much drama
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Harford County, MDAugust 7, 2018
Not enough people care about their job here and its disheartened me to the point that I can't stay here anylonger. I take great pride in my job and my coworkers have made it impossible for me to stay here and be happy
Pros
Easy, laid back
Cons
Lazy Employees
great company
Assist Lead stylist (Former Employee) –  Clinton, MDAugust 7, 2018
I loved working for Hair Cuttery. The staff was the main reason I loved the company. The training to keep up with the trend and basic knowledge was amazing. classes that some pay hundreds of dollars for were at you finger tip when every you wanted to expand you career.
A work place
Stylist/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Zion Crossroads, VAAugust 5, 2018
If you are a new stylist, just getting out of school and getting your license, looking to grow and advance your career by taking extra classes then this is where you want to be.
Awesome place to start out
HAIRSTYLIST (Former Employee) –  Summerville, SCAugust 3, 2018
Very good place to start out at after school. They had free training when I was there . They pay was not great but I enjoyed it . Really learned a lot there.
Excellent company to work for!
Hairstylist/ Mngr. (Current Employee) –  Danvers, MAAugust 1, 2018
I have been with the company for 8 years and advanced into management within 2 years. Good benefits and excellent "free" education classes! Company gives back to the community!
Pros
401k, paid time off, sick time, dental insurance with MetLife, vision, life insurance, medical insurance
Cons
Must be able to sell home hair care
Fun place but has flaws
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VA 23518July 31, 2018
Awesome structure and gives multiple benefits; however, management follows rules very loosely and play favorites. The company has great rates for services and caters to the client, but a bit too much. Coupons are produced at a VERY HIGH RATE and are taken from the stylist which is not beneficial whatsoever and directly affects our paychecks. Hard to live off a paycheck, pay all bills and save.
Pros
commision structure, rules, and incentives
Cons
too many coupons, no regard to breaks, managers do not follow rules completely
Fun workplace where co-workers are like family
Hair Stylist (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 25, 2018
The day varies depending on clientele. It could be slow or fast-paced on any given day.

I learn different ways to improve my skills given the diverse clientele.

Management is fair.

Workplace culture is like family. Fun, easy-going.

The hardest part of the job is not making commission.

The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the smiles and client faces when they are pleased with the service that was provided.
Pros
Free training
Cons
not meeting commission goal
What is is to work for this company
Stylist/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLJuly 25, 2018
They do not offer health insurance, only WELLNESS insurance. If you call sick they will ask you for doctor's note and they don't pay your medical bill therefore they will write you up if you call sick over 2 days and you are unable to provide doctors' note.

They pay minimum wage, they ask you to sell a minimum of $70 in products per week. If you don't sell they don't move you to the next level. They start you at 45% so to get 47% commission you have to sell over $70 a week. If you sell less than $70 they keep your commission.

The management has the right to change your schedule and hours as they please.
Be ready to answer the phone, clean floors (including bathroom) wash windows, scrub toilet, and do laundry.

Company does not allow you to make appointments unless you are a manager or worked there over 2 years.
Full time hours are consider over 30 hours ( no right to ex-employees claiming un-enployment or claiming a real health insurance).

You will work until 9 pm and stay AFTERHOURS to balance the register and then drive to the bank to deposit the money.

New hired employees will work Sundays and holidays including memorial day, veterans day, 4th of July, etc...

No holiday pay and overtime is not paid at time and a half either.

Is only good to gain experience right after beauty school and then get out of there.
Products they sell at their salons are easily found at your local supermarket or beauty supply.

Music plays on a loop (mostly radio music with lyrics) at high volume that is very nice especially if you are a teenager high on caffeine.
Pros
Gain experience after beauty school
Cons
minimum wage, no good benefits, no holidays
Underpaid, Poor benefits,
Stylist (Current Employee) –  New JerseyJuly 22, 2018
Pay is low for amount of work expected. Promotions are given to friends of management. Benefits are poor. Most employees earn so little money they qualify for state benefits. Company keeps wanting more and paying less. Totally fake company. Always preaching that they care and we are family. It’s all about the money the higher ups are making. Stylists are treated very poorly and are just a number.
Pros
Tips are generally good
Cons
Management, pay, benefits
I think they ask for too much.
Cosmetologist (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 19, 2018
We are expected to do so much, and if you just miss the requirements, you miss the goal. I have seen the compensation change 3 or 4 times for the worst.
good building and learning
Salon Leader (Former Employee) –  Hunt Valley, MDJuly 15, 2018
good for just starting out In the industry. good educational classes to help advance your work. you are required to work an evening and weekend but depending on location its hard to get money or clients
Fast-pace, Great for new stylist
Hairstylist (Current Employee) –  Saint Augustine, FLJuly 11, 2018
this company is great to work for all around, but especially to those who are new to the industry. You get constant walk-ins, learn so many new techniques, and learn to be comfortable on the salon floor fast because it's always busy!
Lowest paying job I've had in the industry in 15 years
Stylist (Former Employee) –  South Elgin, ILJuly 11, 2018
No work life balance.
If you have a family this isn't the place to work.
Make sure to use the PTO time you aquire because they will not give you vacation pay when you resign
No overtime pay
Min wage vs commission. Commission rate only goes up if you sell ALOT of products
They are open holidays Really Independence day? Who is getting they're hair done?
Good luck obtaining your final paystub.
Alot of drama and little appreciation for stylist
Pros
Continuing education is free lots off classes the staff was nice but all seemed to be unhappy
Cons
Pay is low, Hours are long and they are open on labor day and 4th of July
Great Place to work!
Salon Leader (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAJuly 10, 2018
Hair Cuttery is a great employee. Decent benefits and unlimited education. Strong walk in clientele. Lots of positives, I just wish to advance a bit further.
Great place to build clientele
Previous Salon Manager/Stylist (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJuly 6, 2018
Hair cuttery is a wonderful place to grow and learn as a new stylist right out of school. They offer free continued education for those that actually want to learn more. Some long term stylists like the security of constant walk in clientele when they have a slow day here and there. You get what you put in with the Ratner company.
Pros
Some benefits and discounts.
Cons
Not so great healthcare..but its something..the salon is good as long as the salon leader is good.
Fun work place miss my co workers
Salon Leader (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJune 28, 2018
I loved working for Ratner Company their is so many benefits for growth if that’s what your looking. I was ready to take the leap back into Management but was not given the opportunity! I worked for them back in 2004 in south Florida where my team and I made it all the way to districts almost to Cancun but I let my personal life get involved and I wished I never rd had because I would to have that chance again
Pros
Education
Cons
No breaks
No support from upper management
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Colonial Heights, VAJune 28, 2018
Yes it looked so bad for ur day we were suppose to leave he told me he is not sick so we can go over details about what time you want to get Mexican tonight show that will try it out of the virus and he has pink eye and
Pros
Love being a stylist
Cons
No breaks, no teamwork, no support
Fun workplace, not so great pay
COSMETOLOGIST (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 27, 2018
This team of people were great to work with. It was always a fun atmosphere and the clients were awesome. The company doesn't really care about their employees no matter how long you work for them.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hair Cuttery Salon. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight