Hales Franciscan High School

Working at Hales Franciscan High School: 5 Reviews

United States5 reviews

Laid back but full of excitement

I begin my day with opening the school up, which consist of unlocking the classroom doors and turning on all the lights. Always looking for the abnormal or something out of place. My duties are pretty much the same everyday, checking the bathrooms, walking the halls looking for kids outta place or not where they suppose to be. Lunchtime comes, seeing how Hales is understaffed, I help serve the kids lunch and help the chef clean up after lunch. If any visitors should come to the school during my shift, I'm responsible for escorting them around the building. Sometime negotiations are needed to rent the building out at which point i'll have to except payment for rentals and give receipts for cash payments. I guess the best part of the job is watching the kids grow and the unpredictable days.

Pros

relaxed environment

Cons

short breaks

Hales Franciscan H. S. Summary

I worked with 6 to 7 classes each day with 5 minutes between each class change. I learned how to manage my time. The hardest part of the job was never having enough supplies. The best part of the job was seeing the look on a student's face when he discovered that he could actually perform a task that he had earlier believed that he was incapable of performing.

Pros

I had a chance to work with some great students

Cons

I did a lot of work after hours and at home

Same old Hales

great history, great vision. Worthless leadership, broken board of directors. Too many chiefs not enough indians. Teachers are very basic and the academics need to be upgraded

Pros

great co-workers

Cons

too many to list

Great family feel, unfortunately somewhat disorganized

This being my first teaching experience was an education on student dynamics and class management. The students were used to a very loose policy on behavior and learning standards were lacking. The first part of the year was a struggle in getting the students to participate and behave. However after establishing rules and my propensity to uphold them, the days smoothed out. All my fellow teachers are very dedicated and have great heart and commitment to teaching. I leaned on them for help and they came through. Reaching kids and seeing not only their interest level rise, but personal satisfaction in learning was the best part.

Pros

Family atmosphere and good staff unity

Cons

Disorganized and low on resources

Interesting and challenging place to work

-Each school day I would teach for 5 periods, monitor the hallways in between classes, and have a thirty minute lunch break. -I learned that it is difficult for a young male student to be a child at school when he is constantly being told at home that he is "the man of the house." -As far as how the school was managed, I'll simply say that to be a successful business, you have to have good leadership and that leadership has to have excellent people and communication skills. -My co-workers were good, overall, but there is always one or two that will display unprofessional and/or unethical behavior at times. -The hardest part of the job was working with disrespectful students and dealing with uncooperative parents -The most enjoyable part of the job was motivating students to do their best work and watching them learn to believe in themselves

Pros

Helping underprivileged students in that community

Cons

Working with disrespectful students

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Hales Franciscan High School?

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hales Franciscan High School. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.2 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits