Half Price Books Employee Reviews

Management Shows Favoritism
Booksller (Former Employee) –  Decatur, GADecember 2, 2018
Working for this company was draining. Some days it was happy some days sad. On some days you will get hit with so much on the buy counter. And you will get hours on buy counter. Management treats some people with favoritism.
Benefits
Fun for nerds.
Buyer/Bookseller (Former Employee) –  ArizonaNovember 16, 2018
The environment is mostly laid back and liberal, but like all companies there are certain standards to adhere to and productivity to have. Being a family owned company, they have a certain level of compassion that a lot of other companies no longer do. Corporate actually does listen to their employees, as opposed to other companies who pretend to listen and do exactly the opposite or nothing at all.
Pros
One hour breaks, 10 minute break any time of day when needed, unlimited bathroom breaks.
Cons
Not a lot of advancement since no one in management wants to leave. Salary low.
mostly fun place to work
Temporary Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 14, 2018
it's was a mostly good place to work, fun coworkers, dogs allowed in the store. pretty easy job to do, customers for the most part are nice. HR is terrible however, and overall the company views all their employees as disposable. reported a coworker for being a creep and they continued to schedule us together, leading to him stalking and harassing me outside of work. he continued to work there for over a year after i left the company. (i know because that's how long i had to avoid going to that store)
Half Price Books
Sr. Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 14, 2018
Half Price Books is a great place to work. Like any other organization, it has its positive and negative aspects. Most people who work here have been with the organization much longer than the average worker at other companies. Most people in my department have been here well over 10 years, which is a testament to the organization's treatment of their employees.
Pros
Friendly, low stress environment. Paid lunch hour.
Cons
good job but dont expect high take home, no incentives
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 11, 2018
No high advancement
Retail for booklovers
Interesting nice community of customers
I worked register starting out and pretty much there most of shift until promoted
Great Place for Book Lovers - LOW Pay
BOOKSELLER (Former Employee) –  Apple Valley, MNNovember 8, 2018
Casual work environment, friendly staff for the most part. Lots of physical moving required -- lifting, bending, moving carts and boxes. Great place for book lovers and anyone interested in customer services. Pay is extremely low -- minimum wage to start. Employee discount on books.
Pros
Casual dress code; employee discounts
Cons
Extremely low pay (minimum wage), lots of physical work involved
A Comfortable and Homey Environment
Bookseller/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 3, 2018
The best part about working at Half Price Books is the people. Everyone is treated as part of the family; a weird, nerdy, geeky, and amusing family. There's so many unique personalities, it's never a dull moment, despite the monotony of the work. Though as a book lover, it is wonderfully satisfying to aid customers in finding whatever media they desire. If a mistake is made, others will work with you to fix it, without berating you. The management is excellent at keeping everyone engaged and feeling like they're making a difference. Overall, it's the nicest store I could dream of to work at.
Pros
Store discount, generous benefits, friendly atmosphere
Cons
tedious physical labor, fluctuating work schedules, salary
Management Are Liars
Bookseller/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Clear Lake, TXOctober 22, 2018
They DO NOT care about your health! They will lie to you about everything to get what they want. Management needs to communicate with their staff. Just an all around awful place to work.
Pros
Discounts, Flexible Hours, and Lunch Breaks
Cons
Management, Communication, Policies, and Lack of sympathy
Good people mostly fun
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 1, 2018
I’ve really just been in retail management too long. Among management it can be very nepotistic. I like my staff like being surrounded by all types of media sold. I just need a change.
Lofty philosophy, still retail
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  OhioSeptember 19, 2018
Pros: Cheap, comprehensive health insurance. 20% or 50% discount on most merchandise. Ability to request preferred shifts, a ton of PTO, no shifts past 10pm, occasional profit sharing.

Cons: The dream of working in a bookstore lasts through your first year, and then poor management and poor promotions turn the job into just another customer service position. Tenure is a huge factor in the promotion structure, regardless of how well an employee can do the job. District and regional management quickly forgets how individual stores function and make changes and demands that do not make sense in the stores. The starting wage has been raised twice in 5 years with no change in pay for employees with over a decade of experience.
Wonderful place to work with all the books
Shift Leader and Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Avon, INSeptember 10, 2018
Fast paced multi task retail work environment rich with ever changing daily duties and customer service experiences which also provide the most enjoyable part of the job.
Good job, bad job
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 9, 2018
One of the best things about working for HPB is talking to people about books, and recommending a number to them and having them purchase a small stack because of it. The job is very labor-intensive, and it's definitely an exercise in patience because of the customers, as well as time management for various responsibilities and the time in which we had to finish those responsibilities. I learned to gauge the passage of time very well without a watch. Some days were so busy that they went fast, whereas others just seemed to drag no matter how much you did. The job will suck out your soul, though, and the best way to deal with it all is to stop caring. You don't worry about doing everything by the book, which helps you finish assignments faster, and you'll be less likely to chat with customers. You fall into autopilot and shut everything down, and then go home and do nothing in order to rest and heal for the next day, only to do it all again. The managerial staff has a lot to do with the nature of the day because of how you're treated or what's expected of you. Customers were another factor, especially if they're belligerent at the buy counter. Still, I enjoyed working at a bookstore. I just wish it hadn't been so fast-paced and stressful.
A Place to Work
Book Processor (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 31, 2018
Overall a decent job. Good benefits, but repetitive work, and management could be better. I am talking only about the warehouse, as I have not worked in the store.
Had great team work ethic. Was a fun place to work.
Bookseller/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXAugust 21, 2018
This is a good place for someone seeking only part time employment. I had a lot of fun with my coworkers and I felt pretty at home there. I also got health benefits. The downside is that for a college student, this company will NOT work around your schedule. Another downside is that you can ONLY work 35 works per week, even if your full time.
Pros
Steady work, always busy. Great team work and management support.
Cons
Strict tardiness, unable to work overtime, little room to move up.
Good job, if you don't mind retail
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Clive, IAAugust 10, 2018
I wasn't at HPB very long, but I can say that the environment is good, most of the staff are friendly, and the management is decent. The day-to-day tasks are simple and the customers are usually friendly. It can be taxing on busy days, but overall it's not a bad place to work.

I don't recall the pay being very high, or if benefits were offered, so those interested would do well to find out about those for themselves when applying.
Pros
Laid-back environment, friendly staff
Cons
Fast-paced, can be hectic when store is busy.
Fantastic Place to Work
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYAugust 8, 2018
The culture is fantastic and the coworkers are so fun to be around. The pay could be better, but the benefits are really great for retail. Like any retail job, customers can be pretty demanding and harsh. But, if you love being around books, movies and anything nerdy, you will love it here. In-store management is good overall, but upper management will not take notice of what you are doing well.
Pros
Work environment, health benefits, work-life balance
Cons
pay for management positions, upper management
ok place to work
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Reynoldsburg, OHAugust 7, 2018
not great, not bad. very, very dirty. dusty. moldy. interesting merch and laid back dress code and atmosphere. ok people. very little incentive or room to advance.
Pros
laid back atmosphere
Cons
no room to grow
Wonderful place to work with great benefits
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJuly 25, 2018
I enjoyed my time at Half Price immensely. The benefits are fantastic, including affordable health insurance, paid vacation, paid sick time, maternity/paternity leave, 401k, discounts, and profit sharing. The Owner of the company cares about her employees. I love books, so it was a joy to get to work as a bookseller. The store is busy and there is always a lot to do. There is no downtime, it was a challenging job.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Dealing with customers, being on your feet all day
Fun to work, low pay
Bookseller and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 25, 2018
If you’re looking for full time work while going to school or you are retired and looking for something to do. This is the job for you. If you’re looking for any kind of upward mobility, there is none. The stores are slowly losing business to other online companies.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Low pay
Great work enviroment, overall
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Humble, TXJuly 24, 2018
When it comes to fun and easy, Half Price is great. But there is no room for advancement and as far as my store was concerned, no room for your own ideas. My team was micromanaged to the point of frustration.
Not all store are like this. But for me, it was.