Half Price Books Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Lofty philosophy, still retail
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  OhioSeptember 19, 2018
Pros: Cheap, comprehensive health insurance. 20% or 50% discount on most merchandise. Ability to request preferred shifts, a ton of PTO, no shifts past 10pm, occasional profit sharing.

Cons: The dream of working in a bookstore lasts through your first year, and then poor management and poor promotions turn the job into just another customer service position. Tenure is a huge factor in the promotion structure, regardless of how well an employee can do the job. District and regional management quickly forgets how individual stores function and make changes and demands that do not make sense in the stores. The starting wage has been raised twice in 5 years with no change in pay for employees with over a decade of experience.
Wonderful place to work with all the books
Shift Leader and Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Avon, INSeptember 10, 2018
Fast paced multi task retail work environment rich with ever changing daily duties and customer service experiences which also provide the most enjoyable part of the job.
Good job, bad job
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 9, 2018
One of the best things about working for HPB is talking to people about books, and recommending a number to them and having them purchase a small stack because of it. The job is very labor-intensive, and it's definitely an exercise in patience because of the customers, as well as time management for various responsibilities and the time in which we had to finish those responsibilities. I learned to gauge the passage of time very well without a watch. Some days were so busy that they went fast, whereas others just seemed to drag no matter how much you did. The job will suck out your soul, though, and the best way to deal with it all is to stop caring. You don't worry about doing everything by the book, which helps you finish assignments faster, and you'll be less likely to chat with customers. You fall into autopilot and shut everything down, and then go home and do nothing in order to rest and heal for the next day, only to do it all again. The managerial staff has a lot to do with the nature of the day because of how you're treated or what's expected of you. Customers were another factor, especially if they're belligerent at the buy counter. Still, I enjoyed working at a bookstore. I just wish it hadn't been so fast-paced and stressful.
A Place to Work
Book Processor (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 31, 2018
Overall a decent job. Good benefits, but repetitive work, and management could be better. I am talking only about the warehouse, as I have not worked in the store.
Had great team work ethic. Was a fun place to work.
Bookseller/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXAugust 21, 2018
This is a good place for someone seeking only part time employment. I had a lot of fun with my coworkers and I felt pretty at home there. I also got health benefits. The downside is that for a college student, this company will NOT work around your schedule. Another downside is that you can ONLY work 35 works per week, even if your full time.
Pros
Steady work, always busy. Great team work and management support.
Cons
Strict tardiness, unable to work overtime, little room to move up.
Good job, if you don't mind retail
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Clive, IAAugust 10, 2018
I wasn't at HPB very long, but I can say that the environment is good, most of the staff are friendly, and the management is decent. The day-to-day tasks are simple and the customers are usually friendly. It can be taxing on busy days, but overall it's not a bad place to work.

I don't recall the pay being very high, or if benefits were offered, so those interested would do well to find out about those for themselves when applying.
Pros
Laid-back environment, friendly staff
Cons
Fast-paced, can be hectic when store is busy.
Fantastic Place to Work
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYAugust 8, 2018
The culture is fantastic and the coworkers are so fun to be around. The pay could be better, but the benefits are really great for retail. Like any retail job, customers can be pretty demanding and harsh. But, if you love being around books, movies and anything nerdy, you will love it here. In-store management is good overall, but upper management will not take notice of what you are doing well.
Pros
Work environment, health benefits, work-life balance
Cons
pay for management positions, upper management
ok place to work
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Reynoldsburg, OHAugust 7, 2018
not great, not bad. very, very dirty. dusty. moldy. interesting merch and laid back dress code and atmosphere. ok people. very little incentive or room to advance.
Pros
laid back atmosphere
Cons
no room to grow
Wonderful place to work with great benefits
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJuly 25, 2018
I enjoyed my time at Half Price immensely. The benefits are fantastic, including affordable health insurance, paid vacation, paid sick time, maternity/paternity leave, 401k, discounts, and profit sharing. The Owner of the company cares about her employees. I love books, so it was a joy to get to work as a bookseller. The store is busy and there is always a lot to do. There is no downtime, it was a challenging job.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Dealing with customers, being on your feet all day
Fun to work, low pay
Bookseller and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 25, 2018
If you’re looking for full time work while going to school or you are retired and looking for something to do. This is the job for you. If you’re looking for any kind of upward mobility, there is none. The stores are slowly losing business to other online companies.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Low pay
Great work enviroment, overall
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Humble, TXJuly 24, 2018
When it comes to fun and easy, Half Price is great. But there is no room for advancement and as far as my store was concerned, no room for your own ideas. My team was micromanaged to the point of frustration.
Not all store are like this. But for me, it was.
Favorite place I ever worked, warts and all.
Temp Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 13, 2018
This was my favorite job I've ever had; it paid well, the hours were consistent and manageable, the work wasn't hard, and the company was nice. It had some downsides; some of the other employees did the absolute bare minimum of their job and yet had been there for years (more than a decade in some cases), some were outright rude to customers and fellow employees, and constantly complained about their Actually Very Cushy Job. It's a bookstore, so it's kind of a haven for people who self-identify as "nerds" or "antisocial" and have no personality beyond that. Management isn't the best - they're nice people but not great at oversight, and so a lot of BS slips through the cracks. Very employee friendly; generous lunch period, benefits, paid leave.

Hiring is a function of corporate rather than up to the managers, too: the show floor is incredibly understaffed according to everyone from customers to managers, but corporate won't let them hire new people because they don't want to pay insurance. I did great as a temp, had several customer compliments on file and had multiple managers all but assure me I'd be hired, only to get the boot because everyone got a .50c raise the week before my term ended.
it was fine
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INJuly 12, 2018
I took this as a job to just get by. As a bookseller the pay isn't great and you can't really get by on that alone without moving up. Its great as a part time job. Always worked with cool people.
Great beginner job
Book Seller I (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 11, 2018
I worked here as my first job and loved it, especially if you love books, music, and movies. Sometimes the job could be stressful, or there were interpersonal issues with employees, but nothing very serious. The benefits they offer are better than most entry-level jobs, but there are not a lot of opportunities for raises.
active and busy environment with great coworkers
Senior Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 10, 2018
I enjoyed my time with Half Price Books, especially the camaraderie of the people working there. A typical day involved shifts at the register, buying books, and some time to shelve in sections, while always assisting customers in finding what they're looking for. Most of the time it was fast paced, where multi tasking, speed and accuracy was utilized. The hardest part was keeping up with the flow if inventory through buying, sorting, pricing, shelving, selling. Busy days could bring in many boxes of books per hour. The most enjoyable parts were the people I worked with, and the customers.
Good for retail
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 27, 2018
Workplace culture depends on district, some stores are very big on micromanaging. For a retail job, it's not too bad -- decent compensation (starting at $11), although I personally believe that the better pay correlates with skills that aren't required with other retail jobs, necessarily (mostly, buying from the general public). Decent benefits if you work full time, and you're assured regular hours.
Great
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Bedford, TXJune 25, 2018
I loved working at HPB. The people were very friendly and we all became close friends. The work environment was great and very laid even when it was a stressful day, The management was very easy to talk to and friendly.
okay for people without a degree
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  TexasJune 22, 2018
Management doesn't do their job and only make the job benefit them. They don't care about their employees. They overwork you and you don't get compensated enough for all the thing you have to deal with and costumers are all creepy. They will sexually harass you and management will be too scared to tell the customers off since half price books is not making enough money since everyone is going digital now.
Great Benefits package
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Dublin, CAJune 22, 2018
I loved working at Half Price Books and thoroughly enjoyed my coworkers. It's long hours and a lot of lifting, but overall a great experience. The health benefits alone are amazing, though to start out, the pay is a little lacking. Overall a great experience and a great place that has room to grow.
Pros
Complete Healthcare benefits
Cons
Lots of lifting
Half Price Books
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Bedford, TXJune 16, 2018
Half Price Books has taught me a great deal on customer service, inventory purchasing, product placement, and time management. A typical day there typically starts with checking the daily schedule and planning for the day. Each person oversees 1+ subjects to keep that subject in order, alphabetized, and clean. I enjoy working with similarly minded people, which makes for a great culture. The most difficult part of the job is buying the merchandise and deciding what the store needs. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with books and seeing the new books coming in, also talking to customers and co-workers about new or old books.