Half Price Books Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Good job, if you don't mind retail
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Clive, IAAugust 10, 2018
I wasn't at HPB very long, but I can say that the environment is good, most of the staff are friendly, and the management is decent. The day-to-day tasks are simple and the customers are usually friendly. It can be taxing on busy days, but overall it's not a bad place to work.

I don't recall the pay being very high, or if benefits were offered, so those interested would do well to find out about those for themselves when applying.
Pros
Laid-back environment, friendly staff
Cons
Fast-paced, can be hectic when store is busy.
ok place to work
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Reynoldsburg, OHAugust 7, 2018
not great, not bad. very, very dirty. dusty. moldy. interesting merch and laid back dress code and atmosphere. ok people. very little incentive or room to advance.
Pros
laid back atmosphere
Cons
no room to grow
Wonderful place to work with great benefits
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJuly 25, 2018
I enjoyed my time at Half Price immensely. The benefits are fantastic, including affordable health insurance, paid vacation, paid sick time, maternity/paternity leave, 401k, discounts, and profit sharing. The Owner of the company cares about her employees. I love books, so it was a joy to get to work as a bookseller. The store is busy and there is always a lot to do. There is no downtime, it was a challenging job.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Dealing with customers, being on your feet all day
Fun to work, low pay
Bookseller and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 25, 2018
If you’re looking for full time work while going to school or you are retired and looking for something to do. This is the job for you. If you’re looking for any kind of upward mobility, there is none. The stores are slowly losing business to other online companies.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Low pay
Great work enviroment, overall
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Humble, TXJuly 24, 2018
When it comes to fun and easy, Half Price is great. But there is no room for advancement and as far as my store was concerned, no room for your own ideas. My team was micromanaged to the point of frustration.
Not all store are like this. But for me, it was.
Favorite place I ever worked, warts and all.
Temp Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 13, 2018
This was my favorite job I've ever had; it paid well, the hours were consistent and manageable, the work wasn't hard, and the company was nice. It had some downsides; some of the other employees did the absolute bare minimum of their job and yet had been there for years (more than a decade in some cases), some were outright rude to customers and fellow employees, and constantly complained about their Actually Very Cushy Job. It's a bookstore, so it's kind of a haven for people who self-identify as "nerds" or "antisocial" and have no personality beyond that. Management isn't the best - they're nice people but not great at oversight, and so a lot of BS slips through the cracks. Very employee friendly; generous lunch period, benefits, paid leave.

Hiring is a function of corporate rather than up to the managers, too: the show floor is incredibly understaffed according to everyone from customers to managers, but corporate won't let them hire new people because they don't want to pay insurance. I did great as a temp, had several customer compliments on file and had multiple managers all but assure me I'd be hired, only to get the boot because everyone got a .50c raise the week before my term ended.
it was fine
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INJuly 12, 2018
I took this as a job to just get by. As a bookseller the pay isn't great and you can't really get by on that alone without moving up. Its great as a part time job. Always worked with cool people.
Great beginner job
Book Seller I (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 11, 2018
I worked here as my first job and loved it, especially if you love books, music, and movies. Sometimes the job could be stressful, or there were interpersonal issues with employees, but nothing very serious. The benefits they offer are better than most entry-level jobs, but there are not a lot of opportunities for raises.
active and busy environment with great coworkers
Senior Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 10, 2018
I enjoyed my time with Half Price Books, especially the camaraderie of the people working there. A typical day involved shifts at the register, buying books, and some time to shelve in sections, while always assisting customers in finding what they're looking for. Most of the time it was fast paced, where multi tasking, speed and accuracy was utilized. The hardest part was keeping up with the flow if inventory through buying, sorting, pricing, shelving, selling. Busy days could bring in many boxes of books per hour. The most enjoyable parts were the people I worked with, and the customers.
Good for retail
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 27, 2018
Workplace culture depends on district, some stores are very big on micromanaging. For a retail job, it's not too bad -- decent compensation (starting at $11), although I personally believe that the better pay correlates with skills that aren't required with other retail jobs, necessarily (mostly, buying from the general public). Decent benefits if you work full time, and you're assured regular hours.
Great
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Bedford, TXJune 25, 2018
I loved working at HPB. The people were very friendly and we all became close friends. The work environment was great and very laid even when it was a stressful day, The management was very easy to talk to and friendly.
okay for people without a degree
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  TexasJune 22, 2018
Management doesn't do their job and only make the job benefit them. They don't care about their employees. They overwork you and you don't get compensated enough for all the thing you have to deal with and costumers are all creepy. They will sexually harass you and management will be too scared to tell the customers off since half price books is not making enough money since everyone is going digital now.
Great Benefits package
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Dublin, CAJune 22, 2018
I loved working at Half Price Books and thoroughly enjoyed my coworkers. It's long hours and a lot of lifting, but overall a great experience. The health benefits alone are amazing, though to start out, the pay is a little lacking. Overall a great experience and a great place that has room to grow.
Pros
Complete Healthcare benefits
Cons
Lots of lifting
Half Price Books
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Bedford, TXJune 16, 2018
Half Price Books has taught me a great deal on customer service, inventory purchasing, product placement, and time management. A typical day there typically starts with checking the daily schedule and planning for the day. Each person oversees 1+ subjects to keep that subject in order, alphabetized, and clean. I enjoy working with similarly minded people, which makes for a great culture. The most difficult part of the job is buying the merchandise and deciding what the store needs. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with books and seeing the new books coming in, also talking to customers and co-workers about new or old books.
Engaging workplace
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 13, 2018
Half Price Books is a privately-owned chain of used book stores based out of Dallas, TX. As such, it has a corporate structure, but a small-store feel. Employees are hired full-time, and all promotion comes from within. Employees are expected to positively engage with customers, their co-workers, and the public at large. All employees are trained to purchased material from the public. Offers for material are made based on internal company sales data and individual store supply-and-demand. This is, for almost everyone, the most stressful part of the job. Making offers in cash for material that typically holds sentimental value for our customers is a tricky situation to navigate. I'm happy to report that most of the people I worked with executed this task with empathy and savvy.
Pros
Excellent employee culture. Generous employee discount.
Cons
Limited advancement opportunities, depending on location.
Fast paced even for a bookstore. Demading retail environmental.
Shift Leader; Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TX 76011June 12, 2018
During the 4 years working at, I was able to move up within a year, and actually had a team to lead. The usual retail business between book talk with the customers was what I expected. Instead, I worked at a face paced culture stew pot. Where every day granted new experiences.
Pros
Not rocket science
Cons
Pawn shop fell when it comes to the buying of books from customers
Toxic Culture
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJune 3, 2018
I worked here for almost 2 years before I couldn't take it anymore. Severe favoritism amongst managerial staff, to the point where harassment and even death threats amongst coworkers were barely acknowledged.
Pros
50% discount on most merchandise
Cons
Low wages- almost everyone on staff was struggling to afford more than ramen for lunch.
This Job Was Pretty Amazing
Bookseller/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAMay 28, 2018
This was my favorite job and I was reluctant to leave it when I did. I loved everything about it. I got to pretty much wear whatever I wanted as long as it wasn't overly sexual or offensive, I regularly wore my nerdy superhero-themed T-shirts and regular jeans and shoes. I wore my hair as crazy as I felt and did crazy colors. The customers and my fellow employees loved all that I was. In this job I was extremely productive, but I can say that the fact that I was allowed to express myself and truly be myself helped put a smile on my face before every shift. The staff are still some of my actual friends I speak to, they're literally the best. So many invigorating minds, experiences, personalities, and viewpoints. We did not always agree on everything but we all respected one another. We were less of a company and more like real people. The minimum wage in the city where this store was wasn't great, but I worked full-time and thus was making a fairly decent living, at least for someone like me who still lives with family. The only reason why I had to leave instead of staying on as part time is because their part time was not really part time. For example, I could not simply work the weekends and I believe part time was technically below the full time hour amount, but that the part time people would get essentially just enough to not work full time hours. I even asked and my friends/managers let me know that with a full time school schedule that there would have been no way to work part time there as well. Otherwise, the experience was pretty legit, aside from the increasing homeless  more... population in the area and consequently the more-than-occasional disturbed individual coming in to disturb the peace. But that was a fault of the area, not the company itself. Whenever stuff like that would happen or if we dealt with the politically incorrect and overzealous customer, fellow employees and managers alike were quick to respond. We had each other's backs.  less
Pros
EXCELLENT staff, sick days and vacation time was constantly earned after having worked a certain period, no strict dress code, more relaxed than most bookstores, excellent sales and prices even for non-employees, 50% discount on everything for employees, good benefits, AMAZING commuter benefits, great experience.
Cons
Pretty much you'll only get minimum wage working here, raises are slow and very gradual, biweekly pay instead of weekly even if you're full time, more than often disturbed or overzealous customers would frequent and cause trouble, part time might as well be full time.
fun work, place that becomes family
Temp worker (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 14, 2018
you learn the ins and outs quickly like any other job you also learn that every one is like family. once accepted you slowly work your way into their system as a unit and get pretty comfortable with them. they will start to act as if you've been there for years even if they still struggle to remember your name. its a good work environment. it sometimes is hard work but its worth it.
Good place to work for the most part
Bookseller one to Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Burleson, TXMay 14, 2018
The typical day at work was buying books from the public and selling books to the public while helping customers find what they are looking for.
I have learned not only how important it is to make sure the customer has a good experience but finding a way to make sure they had such a good experience that they come back.
I have learned how to do daily and weekly schedules, open and close the store, train new employees and be a big part of the overall operations of the store.
The workplace culture is laid back and open to new ideas.
The hardest part of the job is working with a manager who has a bad temper who kicks boxes, talks bad about other employees and does not care about customers but taking their money.
The most enjoyable part of the job is making customers happy which helps them to having a good experience and helps them to have a good day.
Pros
Selling Books & Music, Company believes in doing great customer service
Cons
Rare to Nonexistent overtime opportunities