HALLCON

• Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

It's a job!

It's a job that is what you want to make of it. No real hand holding or micro-management. No real training to speak of, which is a bad thing. Shuttle vans are mechanically taken care of IF the driver reports any defects which unfortunately most do NOT.

Stay away

24/7 on call. Treated like what you are, unskilled disposable. Absolutely no job security or benefits. Expect to have no social life. Unless you keep track of it Hall will and has paid people less that minimum wage.

Cons

Love the trains and the crews are nice

If it weren’t for the trains , I’d leave. I enjoy being along the rails in the middle of the desert or at the railroad yard, sitting between the tracks. The on call hours are pretty stupid. I wouldn’t mind being on call if there was some regularity, like between 8 AM and Midnight. Or Midnight to Noon. But you have very rare blocks of time where you can actually walk away from your phone. You can’t put yourself “on rest” even if you did a long haul if it fell under the 12 hour mark, and you can refuse a call for a trip if you are too tired, but you can’t shut your volume off to sleep because you have to answer ( wake up!!! Now, you’re startled & hard to go back to sleep after all the prompts) or you’ll get in trouble. You COULD call your supervisor, and they MIGHT answer, but that’s too much work and you just need to sleep. It’s painfully laborious just to ask for a break. Mostly easy job, mainly drive safe and sit and wait. Not good in bad weather which is super stressful. Turnover is high and the vans are gross. Holding my own with the small compensation.

Pros

Easy job and nice railroad crews

Cons

Vans are gross and the on call system needs an overhaul.

Rude people

My supervisor and the top management were rude people. They never appreciated my hard work honesty. Instead, they just kept pilling up more and more work for me. I felt unseen here.

Simple job

Not an employee friendly company. Low wages, benefits minimal, vehicles borderline unsafe. Sit around and wait most of the time. Both companies Hallcon and BNSF are condescending.

Pros

Just drive

Cons

Boring most of the time

Would you rate your company five stars?

Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.

Terrible pay, terrible hours, terrible management

There are no positive aspects of this job. It is demanding, it doesn't pay a livable wage, you're always on call and are expected to be available at the drop of the hat but yet there's no security in how often or how many hours you'll work.

Pros

Cons

On call, low pay, poor work culture

Good if you dont like sleeping

Barely had any time off if any at all. Good luck contacting anyone besides carl or lynnie. Not worth it unless you need a job. Otherwise fun place to work in

It’s ok.

Pay is ok for type of work. 12 hour shifts. Willing to work with you. Very helpful dispatch. Can be on call if you don’t want to do shifts. Overall it’s ok. If you love to drive this will be a great job for you.

Pros

Benefits, Work alone

Cons

12 hour shifts

Hectic and unstable.

Some days you will be constantly working without rest until you run out of hours. Some days you might get an hour of work. You're expected to drop everything the moment they call; sometimes with only an hour's notice.

Pros

Company vehicles.

Cons

exhausting and unstable hours

Pay is not worth on call status, your time or safety risks.

The only perk to this job is my immediate manager works well with my very limited availability. The pay is terrible! You are responsible for the safety and on time transportation of conductors and engineers for the railroad. Snow, ice, fog, rain, blistering heat. They will pay a backup company or taxi way more! The pay, lack of sleep and driving more than DOT hours and lack of schedule (being on call) is NOT worth the $10.20 hourly. Pay me $18.00 (what I make sitting at a desk pushing papers with no safety risk and a regular schedule) to start and we can talk about job retention and opening availability.

Pros

My immediate manager

Cons

Pay, respect for time, lack of sleep, respect for you (some engineers/conductors are arrogant.)

Pay is way to low

Worked in Boston Bar for 2 months original terms and conditions of employment was Hallcon provided a work van to commute daily from Hope. Recieved email saying policy changed and I would be required to drive my own vehicle, 140km daily round trip. Low wages and different rates of pay for different locations for doing same job. If you want to work for a company that will try to pay you 83 cents an hour less than someone in another town doing the same job you deserve the low pay you recieve.

Pros

Seems nice at first

Cons

Low pay

Not worth the effort

Unless you are desperate for a job dont bother working here. You are in call 24/7. They pay only minimum wage and brag about how good the pay is. 😒 right? They expect you to basically wash the vehicles when your done and some of the vehicles are hidden in another place, because the other drivers are so bad they damage all of them. So you never know if your going to get a damaged vehicle. The whole place is a mess that needs a lot of help.

Pros

Long drives

Cons

No breaks, on call, possible damaged vehicles, minimum wage

Once upon a time ago

On call 24/7, Will not make what's advertised. Lack of trips, low hours, low pay, No raises. Management vary on location. One of the biggest problems the lack of work because the van to people ratio. You have no life, you sit at home 24 hours a day waiting for them to call you for trip and if you miss that call, you might wanna just quit because their not gonna call you again. Haven't had any problems with Rail crews. Most of the problems I come across is Drivers who are lazy and don't clean up after their shifts and apparently are hired straight out of a nursing home. I'm not paid enough to sit in your ****. If you need instructions on how to go to the bathroom or take a bath I'm available 24/7.

Pros

The Rail crews are very helpful.

Cons

Vehicle to people ratio! Sumes up to no work!

Great company to work

It not a bad place it’s a lot of driving you get to see a lot of places, meet new people. Very demanding long hours,

Pros

Lunch hours are a little tuff

Cons

Good pay

No rest really.

I know this when your about to go to sleep they call you for a trip that will be canceled. And it seems like this job is made for people on retirement.

Pros

I can say I have a job through the pandemic.

Cons

The pay is not good and can’t sleep properly.

Very tiring

I'm long haul driver that takes railroad crews around. We don't get paid enough for the road hazards we face daily. No set schedule and will usually work my than 12 hours per shift with only 9 hours of rest

Pros

Affordable health insurance

Cons

Either working or sleeping

Told alot of positive changes saw none. Vehicle maintence sub par.

Work hours are on call. 95% of rail crew are very nice and helpful. Not enough vans per driver causing missed trip opportunities, which cost you money since you get paid for trips onlyVan maintence is questionable, there were vans that should never been on road. Due to companies fleet rules and bad mechanics. Who they refuse to another one

Pros

Other drivers. And local supervisors.

Cons

Hrs. Vehicle maintence. Pay.

Fun job

It was a great job, had a lot of fun. CP and CN train Crews I drove were great man/woman. Super friendly people. Good company to work for, my boss was nice man to work for.

Pros

Fun and friendly

Cons

On call

This company treats humans as machines but if you need a constantly changing schedule, you will like this.

Hallcon is contracted by the railroads to drive their crews to and from trains because it is cheaper to outsource this function. While RR is known for good pay, the workers on the ground are just numbers to be used by MGMT. This MGMT style trickles down to Hallcon, the good pay does NOT. You are just a number with low pay.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Dirty vans not maintained well by company mechanically or safety wise.

Do not care about employees

If you're looking for a job come here. But if you're looking for a job that really cares about their employees in any way shape or form don't come here. The environment is very non worker-friendly they do not care about your personal problems whether you're sick tired or anything regardless of whether they say that you and your health are the most important thing.

Long hours little pay.

Working for Hallcon is giving everything else up in your life due to the ongoing calls. Don’t get much rest or days off and pay isn’t worth it. Keep you busy though.

Pros

Working alone

Cons

No free time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HALLCON. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at HALLCON.
Powered byComparably

Compare HALLCON with

Career recommendations for Driver

Explore information on salaries, job satisfaction, skills and more
  • HALLCON
  • Driver
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?