Hallmark Employee Reviews for Merchandiser

Found 219 reviews matching the search See all 3,550 reviews
low pay, high turnover, part-time with full-time headache yet no full-time pay or benefits
Merchandiser (part-time) (Former Employee) –  ColoradoJuly 8, 2019
During my employment, I found this to be an extremely low paying, dead end job....

Merchandisers service 5-7 different type accounts, 3x per week, each with different requirements that constantly change so are difficult to keep up with. Plus attend EXTENSIVE store remodels a few times per month (once performed by an "install team" that was mostly men because they're so strenuous)... It is MANDATORY you attend remodels PLUS maintain your regular accounts taking your original, simple 16-20 hour week into a 35+ hour week...creating an almost "full-time" job, without any full-time pay or benefits!

Holidays are much more detailed and will be overwhelming...you will work long, strenuous hours days before and days after each holiday...fighting with store managers along with many other vendors to obtain floor space and pallet storage space for the excessive inventory...expect 10x more work than normal.

Basically, Hallmark offers low paid, part-time, dead end positions and expects full-time performance and dedication. The constant changes and expectations with confusing communications create a stressful work environment not worth the pay!

You're better off getting a full-time job and getting the pay and benefits to go along with the expectations.
I like that it was a flex job.
merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSJune 28, 2019
I really loved my job. It was fun, but time consuming. I did not like how my manager acted when I had a serious family emergency and asked for time off. I think maybe it was just her and not a company wide thing.
Pros
Work on own time schedule, flexable job.
Cons
Some stores didn't respect our space.
Working for getting some money
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  FloridaJune 25, 2019
Is not a great company to make money but is a part time if you not doing anything. Is not full a time job and payment is the minimum maximum 20 hrs per week
Lots of work to do in a very short amount of time given.
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Albert Lea, MNJune 23, 2019
checking in shipments and putting cards in there proper place. A lot of work for the amount of time they give you so you got to be fast. If you go over the two hours they give you then management gets angry with you. My manager was not nice at all. Easy job with poor management
Pros
got to help customers
Cons
poor management, no hours, low pay
Very low paying job
Retail Merchandising (Former Employee) –  MiJune 14, 2019
Not too bad if you dont need money. With the exception of Holidays, you dont work a lot of hours. Never get anytime off before, during or after the holiday.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Low pay
Job varied
Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Nanuet, NYJune 12, 2019
As a retail merchandiser, your hours per week would vary between 10 to 30 hours depending on the holiday. It was a lot of bending. The hours were very flexible which is a plus but during the holidays like around Christmas you can be in one store for over 5 hours with other stores you had to go to. The problem is that the company would expect so much, only allow a certain number of hours and not paying attention to the amount of work that actually had to be done.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Management, Company Expectations
Overview
Merchandiser Part Time (Former Employee) –  Ocala, FLJune 10, 2019
Ok for P/T job if you don’t mind working 5 to sometimes 25 hours a week or if you like working many retail stores alone. Management is not helpful when you need help. Training to do the Merchandiser job is lacking if any.
Pros
Ok for P/T
Cons
No benefits, pay for the work is poor
Supervisor has favorites
Installation Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Eastern KentuckyJune 4, 2019
My main compaintIs that the supervisor does not always assigned me work when I know is she assigning work to her best friend who also works there. This is a very unfair practice but there’s nothing really I can do about it. I love the Hallmark brand I love setting up the displays and the merchandise but my main problem is not having enough hours
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Pay and lack of hours
Don’t work for them!
Hallmark Marketing Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 1, 2019
They DO NOT protect their employees at all! They believe anything that others tell them. Their management and HR do not care about the employees. ...It’s modern day slavery.
Great for a part time.. part time job
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  New HampshireMay 27, 2019
I am retired so I felt that Hallmark might be a good fit. I was a part time merchandiser and the job was very physical.. but also fun. The problem was that I shared hours with another merchandiser so generally I only worked about 8 hours or less.. except on day after holidays change over. It is a good job if you don't mind working alone.
Pros
working alone, no set hours
Cons
no benefits
Amazing boss and interesting work
Hallmark Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 24, 2019
Honestly i loved my boss, she is fantastic, understanding, and caring. My work however was alright and could get slow or it could get really fast on seasonal days where we need to switch out seasonal items. You dont really get a whole lot of hours, but I still did get paid an ok amount for how many hours I got, which was usually just 15 hours.
Pros
good management, relaxing at times
Cons
horrible bosses and or employees at the stores you visit
Great job outside the manager.
Field merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Lawton, OKMay 19, 2019
If they could find a better manager than B.H. they could probably have better employee retention. Loved the job, but too many inconsistencies about expectations from the manager. She needs a better attitude and more training on how to train and handle new employees.
Good company but not enough pay.
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Randallstown, MDMay 15, 2019
My main stores supervisor was really nice and accommodating. I decided to take on 3 extra stores at one point but the supervisor for those stores wanted you to rush through so you won't go over your budget(allotted hours for the week). I dropped her 3 stores and kept my other main stores. My main supervisor helped me some days when we had to do holiday change overs which takes the whole day depending on how much footage you have to take down and then restock.

The only thing is they don't pay enough for the amount of work you have to do. For instance they may give you 2 hours a week at a certain store but don't take into consideration that you have to unpack, sort, and clean up the cards. And you are constantly getting stopped by the store customers because they think you work there. They don't want you to go over your allotted time so either you have to rush or you have cards left over from the previous week which then cuts into your time for the next week. During holidays, big ones or small ones, it can be 6 boxes plus you have to unpack but then they give you 8 hours in the week to complete. Although for big holidays you get more hours but some stores card sections are a complete mess because customers put cards back anywhere or leave them sitting around. It can get really frustrating and over whelming when 10 plus boxes are sitting at the store waiting for you but you know you are on a limited time.
Pros
No Micromanaging, Make own hours
Cons
Not Enough Pay
I enjoyed very much working for hallmark
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 30, 2019
Nice job esp for part timers such as mothers or plder folks . I think the pace is reasonable but when working alone it was a little harder to keep everything as neat as i would have liked with the hrs given
Pros
Great crew
Cons
Sometimes not as many hrs as you would like but fine for me
It was an ok job
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Stephenville, TXApril 26, 2019
It’s a place that allows coworkers to call you a b!+ch and then I was the one that got my hours cut. It was a bad experience with the first supervisor I had when I started was the best. I was not trained. Just thrown in and then later excepted to know.
Fun place to work
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Rhode IslandApril 20, 2019
setting up and taking down seasonal cards, customer service working with the stores manager stuff. Daily task are making sure card department is ready so that the customers can shop and putting out the product that comes in.
Had bad management
Retail Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSApril 17, 2019
bad managers and work culture was low. the job hours are not there to do a great jobs for the customer service . the feedback from management was not customer friendly
Easy, fun, great job.
merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 9, 2019
You go to your designated store restock the product and move on to the next store. the team is friendly and easy going. the managers are very nice, helpful and family orientated. great job for part time and retires.
Pros
your own hours, weekends off, holidays off, great people to work with
Cons
hard to move up with the company since everyone stays with the company for years.
This was so long ago
Regional Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  St. Petersburg, FLApril 6, 2019
It was an ok job if you need something but also there is a rule if they have to redo a design on a store and if your number is called to help you have to work that weekend or those. You miss one your like purgatory as far as hours. I also have a massage business and could not do that.
Where's the supervisor?
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  New Cumberland, PAApril 2, 2019
Training was lacking... especially for seasonal change overs. Supervisor was always on vacation during seasonals. Working alone is nice along with setting working the hours you want. (They still give you scheduled days you must work)
Pros
Make you own shift
Cons
Lack of training and understand by supervisor and pay was to low.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hallmark. Our community is ready to answer.

51.3K
41K

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

3.7Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight