Hallmark

Hallmark insights

Based on 1,599 survey responses
What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job

The products; the work environment and staff

Typical work day is like this: 1. Greeting customers upon entering the store 2. Working with the customer to local products 3. Working through customer issues (returns; broken products; getting products for the customer from another Hallmark store. 4. Working with management to ensure the customer is totally satisfied with there product; return and service.

Pros

Free lunches; contests and associates

Cons

no health benefits for regular associates

Productive and very time consuming . They make it seem like the hrs are flexible but they absolutely are not u work 40+ hours during any given holiday

Pros

Kind of a free schedule as long as you service stores before they close

Cons

Flexibility is the perk of the job.

It was a great job to work when I wanted the flexibility of making my own schedule. Just not enough hours were provided to make it worthwhile. Everything was rushed so they did not have to compensate you much.

Definitely it requires physical capabilities. I love my independence. Great supervisor. No nite time hours, work in early a.m.

Great part time job with flexible hours. Yet. After each holiday the work is a challange. Over all best part time job to find as retired senior. A very respectable company and am proud to say I work there.

Pros

Close to home.

Cons

Never took a break in over one year of work. On long reset day, no time for lunch either.

Good part time job that pairs well with other part time positions.

Offers flexible schedule - except around holidays which usually requires multiple visits before, day of, and day after. Pay is low, no real benefits, and not many opportunities for advancement. Best suited for those with other part time jobs or no need for steady income. Usually work alone, heavy boxes, stand, repetitive motions.

Pros

Ability to set own schedule during most of the year.

Cons

Low pay, sporadic workload, physical (lift, bend, stand).

Your experience matters.

Help out others considering your employer. Rate your employer.

If you need flexibility with your schedule and don't mind lugging heavy boxes regularly, this is a good part time job for that.

This job can be physical as there are always large heavy boxes to lug around. There is a lot of bending and squatting and lifting. You're on your feet the whole time. The work itself is pretty routine, you don't get any creative license. I imagine if you had a good management support team the job would be better. I don't have that. I like working alone and the flexibility of this job suits my life right now, so I'll stick with it until my kid is out of school.

Pros

Flexibility, work alone, set your own hours

Cons

Can be physically demanding, very little management support, pay isn't great, hours fluctuate seasonally. Hours go way down between holidays and in the summer.

it would’ve been a good place to work, but…meh

the person running the facility dont care on what the employees wants and needs..order processors deserves at least $20/hr, they are the ones working really hard. This company wants u to work hard, get ur points, but they can’t even work hard to raise the wages. Frozen wages.

benefits

Cons

Short break..physically and mentally exhausting

Good if you want very little hours

I’ve never worked at a place where the manager doesn’t put you on the schedule every week. They hire way to many people for a small store and run out of pay roll and hours to give to employees. No room for growth.

Pros

Discount

Cons

Manager

Great job for extra cash

I am happy here. I just can’t have any advancements here bc of where I live. I live in the country away from their major targeted stores so I am unable to ever become a manager. Also no bonuses are given, very little incentives and no pto for part time employees.

Pros

Make your own schedule

Cons

No advancement depending on geo location

Retail Merchandising, but not for beginners.

The nice thing about working for Hallmark is the amount freedom you have to schedule your own work week and the overall friendly attitude when working on a team or with management. However, I cannot recommend Hallmark to those starting out as a Retail Merchandiser or for those looking to make a career of it.Firstly, Hallmark's field division is not like other retail merchandising companies. Because of the product-lines you will be handling you cannot quickly stock/packout and move on to your next location. There is a high chance to damage merchandise on handling and some assemble/set-up may be required for gift-wrap products. The greeting cards, for example, are small flat objects that come shipped in high volume and must be packed out specifically to plan-o-gram. While this sounds simple in writing, and does allow for error, I have witnessed in the time I have worked with Hallmark several people quit due to volume and the tediousness of maintaining organization of this product was. This is especially prevalent during major holidays and not limited to the greeting cards.Additionally, your service location may hinder you. Since several of Hallmark's products lack protective covering, they are subject to the environment of the location. If they are damaged it is your responsibility report and record them as well as re-home any that are misplaced, which can be hundreds of individual items. While one can develop a rhythm to packing out quickly, Hallmark generally does not allot enough time to complete this task and you will find yourself very overwhelmed when inventory starts -

Pros

Set your own work schedule for the week (may depend on territory supervisor and location manager), Great work/life balance, Overall positive and friendly attitude, Milage and parking meter reimbursement

Cons

No full-time hours in field positions, Very little part-hours per work week, Not enough time given to complete in-store tasks, Personal vehicle recommended

This is very part time work except during the major holidays.

If you need only a few hours a week and can handle more hours on the weeks around major holidays this job is great. You need to service stores on particular days but mostly up to you what time you want to get there. Don't expect alot of one on one with anyone and you must be a self sufficient problem solver. Otherwise it's great working on your own.

Pros

Being able to make your own schedule.

Cons

Work must be done during holidays.

It was a great first job

Great first job. Gained a lot of customer service experience and enjoyed bonding with coworkers. Expectations around the holidays are a bit high and pay is pretty low. But overall if you don't take on too much extra work it's good.

Flexible hours

Job has very flexible hours but the pay is poor. Worked for a different merchandising company and their system was 10 fold better. Hallmarks system is sloppy and stressful.

Fun job to work with flexibility

Enjoyed my job/work with hallmark. New freight each day, and was fun setting new seasons and holidays. I had a great supervisor who helped me along the way, and taught me a lot about my account. If you are looking for part time hours under 20 per week, and some spending money this may be a great fit for you.

Pros

Each day was a bit different from the previous

Cons

Part time hours and wages

Self-paced work with set goals and clear instructions

As a merchandiser, you mostly work solo or occasionally with other merchandisers or your manager. You set your own hours, and it's definitely part-time work, but it's not a bad gig by any means. Your instructions are pretty clear, and there are diagrams to show you how to set up the product for season resets. As long as the people in charge of your region are good at looking out for the people under them, it's a pretty low-stress job. Obviously things get busy around the big card-heavy holidays (Christmas, Valentines, Mother's Day), but it's never completely overwhelming, and your managers are there to support you. (You will get covered in glitter, however)

Pros

set your own hours, fun products

Cons

limited hours per week, papercuts

Flexible schedule, work independently

This job offers flexibilty and the opportunity to work independently at my own pace. The work is straight forward and I set my own schedule. This is the perfect job for someone looking to supplement their full time job, trying to work around kids' school schedules, or someone who can only work part time. There aren't many hours, so you won't get rich doing this, but the pay is fair for what you do, and you have time and flexibilty to work a full time job. Management is supportive and understanding.

Pros

Great management, flexible schedule, work at my own pace

Cons

Not much money

Love love love this company

I loved working for Hallmark. The customers were awesome and knew exactly what they need. You get to build relationships with every single customer that walks through the door. The management was awesome too! I had the best boss and he made work feel so fun. Pay was kinda low but you do get yearly raises based on your work performance. I will truly miss working for this company.

Pros

40% discount, awesome work environment

Cons

lowish pay when starting off

Flexible hours

The flexibilty was great, the pay, not so much. They do not give you enough hours to do the work that needs to be done to service your stores properly.

Pros

Flexiboe hours

Cons

Low pay, not enough hours given to do the work that is expected to he done

flexible schedule

Great job if you need flexibility and enjoy working on your own. Low turn over at Hallmark for these positions. Pay could definitely be more. Before Covid pay was $13. Hopefully they have increased that rate in 2021.

Pros

flexible

Cons

low pay

Decent part-time work

Not many hours available for retail merchandisers. Definitely a great job for stay-at-home moms or retirees. Solo, unsupervised work. Training could be better, but it's based on how much time your supervisor has to train you.

Pros

Flexible schedule, independent work

Cons

Low pay, training could be better

Busy, fast pace

This company you need to be organized and work at a very fast pace. Your allowed to be flexible except when the holidays are upon you then you are required to work before and after each holiday. Good for those that have families that live in the Same state but terrible when family live out of state, you never can have a holiday with them.

Pros

Free holiday Christmas ornament

Cons

Not enough hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hallmark. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9
2.9

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
Top 35%
In the Top 35% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Hallmark.
Powered byComparably