Hamline University Employee Reviews

Insular and Selfish
Director of Hamline Writing Center (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNOctober 15, 2018
As much as the administration at the university promotes an idea of diversity and a focus on students and community engagement, they're more concerned with making money and keeping their bloated budget in the black. The departments that need funding (such as student services) are woefully underfunded and lead by career administrators rather than teachers or other professionals with good track records of service.
Relaxed and focused workplace with high individualism
Dispatch Officer (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNSeptember 2, 2018
Safety and Security works 24/7 at Hamline so some shifts will be through the night. Training was intense but I learned how to use several dispatch programs, how to refer to and direct officers on radio, and how to arm and disarm security systems. Following through with proper procedures and checks on students and staff to access rooms and events was one of the common tasks given to dispatchers. I enjoyed my job and the people I worked with but my classes would not allow for a 24/7 work schedule.
Good people, casual environment, pay not great
IT support (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJune 16, 2018
The employees really care about the students. And I must say, most of the students I've been associated with are very intelligent and mature. The working atmosphere is casual (compared to my previous corporate life). Recent years have resulted in minimal pay increases and cuts to benefits. Management needs to improve on personal interaction and camaraderie. If itś more important to give of yourself for the good of serving the next generation rather than get rich, itś not a bad place to work.
Okay
Operations Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJune 13, 2018
I did not fit in with the crowd, however if you're young, looking to spend lunches, happy hours and weekends getting to know your coworkers this is the place for you. The department I worked in had a lot of drama and it was difficult to figure out who to be around.
Pros
good work life balance
Cons
Coworkers are not open to differences
Easy place to work and not be held accountable
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJune 10, 2018
Typical Higher ed institution that says the right things but doesn't put words into action. A lot of nice people work here. It is a good place if you want a loss stress job with job security. I worked with a lot of lazy people who just punched in and out and were promoted because they put their time in.
The people are great
Staff Employee (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMarch 21, 2018
The people I work with on a daily basis are great. They are one of the main reasons I'm still here. I enjoy my work but there is no advancement for me.
Ambiente de trabajo muy competitivo y la motivación para el personal es valiosa
Administradora del programa de Postgrado (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, USAMarch 19, 2018
Excelente trabajo en equipo, las personas son entrenadas para hacer diferentes tareas y conocer de cada una de las actividades! Open minded
Pros
Seguro médico, Odontologia
Cons
No hay descanso para tomar té o café
Choose your office wisely
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMarch 19, 2018
Hamline University has a lot of great and challenging qualities. A lot depends on the office you work in. Culture varies a great deal depending on which part of the University you take part in. There are a lot of personal development opportunities available to Faculty and Staff.
Boring and do not care for the manager
Stocker (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNFebruary 15, 2018
Easy to get to but the times for shifts are very inconvenient. Especially if you want to have another job along with this one. Boring job, not much to do, get yelled at for doing homework.
productive and very structured
Administrative Assistant Financial Aid (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNFebruary 11, 2018
It was my first job here in the Twin Cities so starting out at a small university was a great fit. Being new to the Cities, it helped me learn my way around and meet a great number of people.
Good place to work if you don't mind low pay.
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNFebruary 9, 2018
Good place to work, but management has no idea how to run the department. Need management who's actually qualified to be manager. Manager were put in the role by the higher up person without going to normal hiring process.
Pros
Good amount of vacation hours plus sick times, which can be used for doctor appointment, taking care of sick child, etc.
Cons
Expensive healthcare, you can work your butt off and if you make one mistake, instead of noticing all the goods you've done, manager will pick on the one thing you made a mistake on.
An interesting job
Sports Information Director (Current Employee) –  St. Paul, Minn.February 5, 2018
There are no typical days when you are a Sports Information Director. There are some givens -- you handle the stats, game stories and notes on Game Day. But you have to be able to take pictures and teach a student how to do the ame thing. You have to be able to answer media, parent, coach and student inquiries. You have to be flexible to pick up a task if needed -- often on a short deadline.

The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing it all come together in such a way that nobody knew the effort it took. Also, when you see a student graduate and get a great job, it is like watching your child grow up.

The worst part is the weekend and night hours. There is also the knowledge that some people who don't understand what you do will never be pleased. You simply accept that and move on.
Pros
You work in the toys and games department
Cons
Some long hours and weekend work
Good place to adjunct
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNFebruary 1, 2018
Hamline University is a good place to teach as an adjunct. You're treated well, given adequate office space and access to resources, and there's a union (SEIU).
Nice
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNJanuary 8, 2018
I learned many things while attending Hamline, and I learned how to deal with data entry for the first time while going here. The people are nice and understanding. My only concern is that the lack of diversity was an issue.
Pros
good professors, co-workers
Cons
lack of diversity, too expensive to attend
Good experience
Global Environmental Education Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJanuary 8, 2018
The working environment is pretty good. Hamline has friendly staff and great managers who can help you to learn and grow in your working position. I can also schedule my working time depend on my school time, which make me got both work and study on campus.
Learned a lot of valuable lessons!
Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJanuary 6, 2018
It was a very knowledge-based job. I learned a great deal about Hamline University's resources and how they help their students. The most enjoyable part of the job is the knowledge I acquired about Hamline University.
Academic Environment
Economics Researcher (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNAugust 31, 2017
I only did research and tutoring as a student, so there is not much to say other than it was pretty relaxed. Tutoring was more rigid with scheduling, while research was based on my own discipline in making sure I got it done. Either way, it was fun.
Pros
Easy-going, academic atmosphere
It was okay there
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJuly 28, 2017
Hamline suffers from many of the issues higher education faces. A lack of funding forces schools to fill valuable positions with adjunct professors and has little research to grow the programs or keep professors excited. Within these challenges though, the faculty were involved, energetic, and research was at least possible.
Good opportunity
Law Librarian & Associate Professor of Law (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJuly 11, 2017
Life at Hamline University was interesting. Left before the changes occurred when Hamline University School of Law merged with William Mitchell Law School.
Simple, yet busy workplace
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNJune 7, 2017
This place of employment involved student workers making food at a grill. This was meant to be a simple job, yet it was often irritating with its constant busyness, and unreliable coworkers that would often call in sick or simply not show up at all. Regardless, I learned that I had to be persistent and work my hardest regardless of hour difficult the situation could be. The most enjoyable part of this job was the manager that would make each night a fun experience.
Pros
Good hours, free meals
Cons
Confusing time clock system, unreliable coworkers, extremely busy