Hammer Residences Employee Reviews

Bait and switch
Assistant Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Wayzata, MNJuly 12, 2018
Hammer puts on a good show about them all being one big "family," but really it operates like any other bureaucracy that doesn't place enough value on the worth of each employee. As an organization it is desperately understaffed, turnover is horrible and the employees are not paid enough for what they do. In addition, employees at more challenging houses are paid the same as people who actually get to sit around during the whole shift. I wouldn't recommend anyone work at Hammer as they will use you for whatever labor they can get out of you and then replace you as soon as they feel like they have squeezed everything they can out of you.
Pros
Priceless experiences and relationships with individuals who live in the homes
Cons
Incompetent management, inconsistent staffing, insufficient wage
Good employees and good culture in place
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Wayzata, MNDecember 22, 2017
A typical day at work consist of taking care of individual. There is a lot to learn from job skills and the individual that are served. The workplace culture is person centered.
productive and a fun place to work.
Program Manager, MN (Current Employee) –  Edina, MNSeptember 19, 2017
I enjoy working for Hammer, because the clients and people I work with. in-services to help you in all areas of your job. theirs room for advancements when available.
Pros
lunch meetings
Cons
short breaks
September 25, 2017

We're so pleased to hear that you're having a positive experience! Thanks for your hard work.

Hammer is a wonderful job.
Assistant Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Wayzata, MNMay 27, 2017
typical day of work includes personal cares for residents including passing medications and taking them to and from activities.

i learned a lot administrative skills that will be useful in future jobs outside the group home enviroment.

i've had really bad managers and some of the best i've ever worked for but overall i really enjoyed working for them.

workplace culture pushes people to work overtime and go above and beyond the job description.

the hardest part of the job is being patient with difficult residents, if you don't have A LOT of patience you will not succeed in this line of work.

the most enjoyable part of this job is going home after work everyday and knowing you made a lot of peoples lives better.
Pros
Loads of overtime opportunities, Free on shift meals, relaxed atmosphere.
Cons
No breaks
An excellent non-profit for individuals with special needs
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Wayzata, MNMay 20, 2017
Hammer is awesome!! The management is great, the training is informational, and overall the company cares about nothing more than their individuals. Each individual is special and requires different cares and needs, and Hammer hires people to best fit the individuals served. The pay is good, the job environment is inviting and responsive and also very accommodating.

A typical day with Hammer includes work related responsibilities like assisting in cares, transportation, medication administration, and the like, but it also includes building relationships with individuals. The most enjoyable part of the job is spending time with the people we serve. Each one has such a unique personality and outlook on life. The joy and life they contain despite the difficulties they face is inspiring.

During my time with Hammer, I learned many things. I had previously worked in the field, but through Hammer I was able to see how management should be. I was able to work in a team environment and know that my coworkers were there to support me, not judge me. I learned a lot of patience and also new things about myself.
Amazing place to work
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Current Employee) –  Wayzata, MNMay 18, 2017
Hammer is a wonderful place to work. First job I've ever had where it was fun to go to work. It became my home away from home. Great benefits and even some bonuses.
May 26, 2017

We are so happy that you are a part of the Hammer family. Thank you for sharing your experience!

Good experience for the nursing program
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Edina, MNApril 25, 2017
Another healthcare experience just of a different environment. More of a fast past experience and Is more dealing with nurse care. Another bonus experience for your resume for the nursing program
May 26, 2017

We are very pleased you were able to gain valuable experience for your nursing career! Thanks for the feedback and best wishes in your nursing program.

Okay place to work
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  Wayzata, MNMarch 6, 2017
Working here can be fun, but poor management, work load increases and no increase in pay make it for a not fun working environment. Many crooked things go on behind the scenes. The individuals supported by this company are a great bunch though. There will always be ups and downs when working with individuals with disabilities.
Pros
Benefits, Pto, flexibility, job security
Cons
Bad management, no raises
May 26, 2017

We are sorry that you had a negative experience at times. The Human Resources department is always available to listen to feedback and will do our best to help situations improve. We appreciate the feedback.

It is an overall positive place to work. Low wages, and advancement opportunity lacking.
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Wayzata, MNDecember 5, 2016
Hammer seems to maintain a good reputation in the community serving people in the community with Developmental Disabilities and Mental Illness.
In the home of work, the co worker and people
Assist residents (Current Employee) –  Wayzata, MNMarch 25, 2016
It is fun to work with the people and staff in the home.I learned how to work with disability people as to how they always feel about everything. It takes time to work with other staff of different backgrounds. The hardest part of the job is when you do not understand the guys that you work with feelings. The most enjoyable part of the job is flexible hours or schedules and you wok more hours when you can. You also accumulate PTO hours and you en cash it twice a year.
Pros
You eat with the guys at any time, you get healthcare support.
Cons
When staff call at will and you have to cover up.
friendly workplace
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Former Employee) –  Wayzata, MNMay 21, 2015
other than a specific few people who are in the upper management of the company now that weren't when I started this is about the friendliest workplace you could ever have. Without stepping into the main building for a year you will probably be called by name 10 times within the first 5 minutes in the building.
Pros
friendly people
Cons
hard job, need patience
Had fun working at the company.
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Wayzata MNAugust 20, 2014
I think the company is a great place to work, most especially understanding the diversity that include different cultures of workers.
Pros
Bonus at the end of the year, and college funds.
Cons
Not every employees, and you have to be qualify. No Breaks.
Great Company!
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Wayzata, MNSeptember 17, 2013
This company truly puts their employees first and will find all ways to ensure your success.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Great work with people in need
Assistant Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Wayzata, MNSeptember 4, 2013
Working with individuals that have mental disabilities, and making sure that they can live their lives to the utmost potential.
Assist with managing a 10 client program.
Complete administrative duties- type and distribute correspondence, answer phones, make travel arrangements and maintain files.
Perform bookkeeping duties, proofread documents and create materials for presentations.
Liaison between clients and guardians/parents/conservators/social workers/caseworkers etc.
Train employees
Schedule medical appointments for clients
Manage finances for all clients
Plan and initiate activities in the community for clients
Data Entry
Medication Certification
Order medication refills
Heart Saver- trained in CPR
Great place to work, family oriented
Client Account & Document Imaging Specialist (Former Employee) –  Wayzata, MNFebruary 5, 2013
One of the GREAT things about working at Hammer was the loyalty to employees not only from Human Resources but from Management as well. Another GREAT convenience at Hammer was the ability to work from home when necessary. I had very good co-workers there, always helping out when needed - esp during audit time. The hardest part of this job was the off-site intakes in front of "large family" clients. The most enjoyable part of the job, & there were quite a few, was the chance to interact with our residents. If not for relocating, I would have retired from Hammer Residences.
Pros
friendly & comfortable work environment.
Entertaining place to work with coworkers and clients
Assistant Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Wayzata, MNJuly 29, 2012
A typical day for me starts by sending our residents off to work. Making sure they are dressed appropriately, have had breakfast and taken all of their medications. Every day I learn something new as I work through a variety of financial and medical duties based on the needs of our residences. I work very closely with my manager on a daily basis, often helping her from a managerial standpoint to get her tasks completed. I often involve my coworkers in my daily duties in order to encourage the cohesion and knowledge necessary to take better care of our residents. The hardest part of the job is, at time, communication. We are caring for other people's loved ones, and sometimes expectations are not communicated to the level necessary. Without question, the most enjoyable part of the job is being able to take care and interact with a great population of people.
Pros
flexible hours, great people
Cons
low wages

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hammer Residences. Our community is ready to answer.

Hammer Residences Reviews by Location