Hammond Lumber Company Employee Reviews

Eh
Boom Truck Operator (Former Employee) –  Ellsworth, MEJanuary 28, 2019
You work on their terms and your voice doesn't mean much. Willing to cut you out if you speak up about anything wrong and won't look into it if fix it.
no plase to work at
delivory driver (Former Employee) –  Belgrade, MEJanuary 12, 2019
they are slave drivers. You make one wrong move or make a big mistake there all over you. You don't even have no help from any one. they are all cut throat there. There nice to your face but soon you turn your back look out. If one truck is not right knowing you never drove that truck your the blame. You ask for a day off there good for it but really there not you get your butt chewed.
Cons
Not a bad company to work for.
Laborer (Current Employee) –  Brunswick, MENovember 21, 2018
personally I think the company is a little wasteful sometimes trucks will run for hours not being used. Winter time more so. Also in the winter the use of salt is astonishing.
Nothing to say
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Belgrade, MEAugust 9, 2018
I have nothing good to say about Hammond lumber at. All I know is that I would never tell any of my friends to work there. It's not a very good place to work
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Belgrade, MEMay 14, 2018
I worked were ever they asked me to and I did it well. It was hard work and I was more than willing to do as they told me. I liked working with the people and the company.
Pros
They were good to all employee's
Long hours, poor life balance, poor management
Kitchen and Bath Designer (Former Employee) –  Farmington, MENovember 6, 2017
Being in the architecture field already, I learned a lot about kitchen design that I will be able to use in my career. The people were great to work with, however, management was hard to deal with. Some customers made the job fun and others made the job more stressful. The hours were long - working 10+ hour days with an every-other Saturday schedule. Most work weeks are 50+ hours, making the work/home life hard to balance.
good place to work
CAD technician, Designer (Current Employee) –  Bangor, ME 04401August 26, 2017
good place to work. It can be fast paced and hectic at times. Company makes customer satisfaction a priority and it shows through every facet of the company.
Stressful
Sales (Current Employee) –  MaineAugust 8, 2017
Hammond Lumber Company is great in terms of a family business that does right by its customers and having flexible time off, unfortunately there is quite a bit of micro management and senior leaders seem unwilling to discipline managers
Pros
Job Secuirty, Flexiable time off
Cons
Poor managers and disrespect
long days, routine work
Inside Salesman (Current Employee) –  Portland, MEMarch 26, 2017
Days are long with overtime every week but most weeks are 6 days. Sales can been exciting during the busy season but other then that its the same routine everyday.
Good Company Great People
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Hammond, MEJanuary 29, 2017
This is a great company to work for. I worked here part time during college and full time during summers and they've been great every time I needed time off for school.
management needs to get into 21 st century
inside sales (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEApril 12, 2016
Lots of double standards in the good old boys club.
Lousy, and expensive health insurance.
Middle management has no clue, but have been there decades.
only 2% raise after 2 years.
Pros
great products
Cons
employees who have been there awhile are really miserable, and I mean miserable
Management team very unprofessional and sarcastic.
Office/Administrative (Former Employee) –  Brunswick, MaineMarch 4, 2015
Favoritism comes into play. Management provides harsh criticism based on one opinion. Sales staff was very professional and pleasant to work with and Management was not.
Pros
Benefits and sales staff
Cons
short breaks if any
Management wasn't very professional
Receptionist/Cashier/Expeditor (Former Employee) –  Brunswick, MaineJanuary 12, 2014
A typical day would be expediting while being a cashier and receptionist. Doing the morning cash up for three tills, reconcile cash up and bank deposit.

I learned that I loved the work, but management was difficult.

Management was very unprofessional. The manager and office manager would talk about things other than work more than working. It was very personal and inappropriate discussions. The office manager was immature for her position.

Most of my co-workers which were salesmen, shipper and receiver and cashiers and management were great. The guys bent over backwards for me at times. I enjoyed working with them very much.

Hardest part of the job was dealing with office manager having a Dr. Jekell/Mr. Hyde personality.

The most enjoyable part of my job was working the salesmen and customers. Everything was done with respect for each other.

I realize I have mentioned the management a lot, but it truly was a rough situation to be in.
Pros
Working with home owners and contractors
Cons
management wasn't very professional/noisy atmosphere
Demanding fast paced work environment
Merchandiser /Sales (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEMay 30, 2012
A typical day at Hammond Lumber consisted of customer service, sales, keeping a clean work environment, placing customer orders, stocking, receiving and more. I learned more about building materials and tools, buying materials and customer deliveries. The management was very inconsistent, abrupt and simply does not know how to treat people. The co-workers were all wonderful people who unfortunately felt very tense and unhappy with their jobs and work environment. The most enjoyable part of the job was the customers, the physical labor and the sense of accomplishment at the end of each day.
Pros
good healthcare benefits
Cons
no potential for advancement, long hours, mandatory overtime.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hammond Lumber Company. Our community is ready to answer.

Hammond Lumber Company Reviews by Location