Hampshire College Employee Reviews

Toxic work environment, students very aggressive
Post office clerk (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAMarch 19, 2018
Hampshire college has made nation wide news many times, and none of them for positive reasons. The environment is extremely toxic towards veterans. The student body and staff are some of the most spoiled, narrowed minded and laziest persons that I have ever had the unpleasant experience of being around. My vehicle was heavily vandalized due to the students dislike towards anyone who has has any relation or experience in the military. And the college did nothing to rectify any of the hate from their students. Staff there would use racial slurs, and would call out of work at least once every week. Hampshire College is such a backwards place, I am surprised that it is still open and operating.
Easy work
Computer Lab Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MANovember 20, 2017
I worked in a computer lab for Workstudy aid and was able to do my homework while I monitored the room. The pay was excellent for the work. My supervisors were very open and helpful. This was only while I was attending college.
It was an learning enviroment. Everybody was an educatior
Supervisor of Building Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MASeptember 25, 2017
The students were amazing and challenged to think outside the box. To know is never enough. The college was founded on a idea from the 50s and 60s. There are no grades and a very close student to professor rating.
decent
CUSTODIAN (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAAugust 12, 2017
Was an okay place to work, i enjoyed the atmosphere. very routine after a while. The raises could have been better, compared to other colleges in the area, they paid the least.
Extremely Devoted And Hard-Working
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAMay 23, 2017
Those who work here care deeply for the college and value hard work and devotion to their craft. A creative mind and critical approach are essential to fulfillment in the working culture at Hampshire College.
Student Worker
Assists faculty and staff on office aid (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAMay 23, 2017
Hampshire College offers lots of positions for student workers on financial aid. I worked in the College's school of Critical Social Inquiry. The faculty are helpful and kind.
Relaxed, on top of everything that needed to be done at the cafe.
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Amherst, MAMay 23, 2017
My experience working at the Kern cafe at Hampshire has been very positive. I work for work study and it is a great opportunity to not only meet people within the Hampshire community but to improve my skills as a worker. I love being able to interact with many people when on the job, and when the job does become high paced it is stressful in the best way possible, and all of my co workers and I work together very well.
Nothing to say
Lilith Student Publication (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAFebruary 19, 2017
Nothing much to say. It was an enjoyable work experience but lacked any benefits besides experience. I would recommend working here if you need experience and some place to start but I would not recommend it as permanent.
Great
Meditation Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Spiritual life centerApril 11, 2016
Hampshire college is a good place to work. I work in the Spiritual life center on Tuesdays from four-thirty to five. Lots of students show up each week, and it's a great environment.
Prep Cook
Part-time Cook (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAFebruary 2, 2016
It was an ok company to work for, but I decided that I wanted to something else. The work station I was assigned was acceptational and it was a decent job
Fantastic supervisor, work environment, and responsibilities
Humanities Intern (Current Employee) –  Amherst, MAJanuary 14, 2016
At Hampshire, I create posters for events and new courses regularly. I also attend faculty meetings, assist faculty in publicizing their work, and help students connect with their professors.

My supervisors are supportive, positive, and extremely helpful. I am not just an intern, I'm a valued member of the Humanities program.

I love helping students and faculty interact with one another and thinking of new ways to promote the Humanities program.
Pros
Opportunity to gain experience in Photoshop, event planning, student engagement, and higher education, great supervisors
Cons
Very modest pay
Mission driven institution
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAJanuary 27, 2015
Mission driven institution education for change. Community is actively engaged in the governance structure and committed to fostering the core values of social justice and diversity.
Great learning possibilities
Assistant Event Planner (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MEJanuary 18, 2015
Had a fantastic mentor who taught me what it was like to be in the events industry. I came into work and checked hundreds of emails from people who were looking to book an event at the Red Barn or bring their camp to our facilities. I learned how to manage my time and plan events with coworkers. The most difficult part of the job was only being there for a summer, and so I wish that I had more time getting to know the business. I absolutely loved working with clients and planning their events.
Enjoyable, friendly working Environment
Teachers' Assistant (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAOctober 7, 2014
As a Teachers Assistant at Hampshire College I was expected to work independently with college students to help them refine their project ideas and push them in a suitable creative direction. We divided the students up amongst the three TA's into focus groups and would discuss their progress from class to class. I would also meet with each student independently as they worked on new material for the course, or I would lead a class wide critique. I found that students responded more positively to class critiques, where they received a greater variety of feedback from their peers rather than meeting solely with their teacher. My experience here reinforced my preference for peer-based learning, wherein students are allowed to pick and choose the kind of feedback that best suits the way they work. I appreciated the responsive mode of teaching used by the professor, and always felt heard. The most challenging part of the job was maintaining each person's interest in their own projects, as many of them had never produced a clearly defined 'series' of work. However, I took great joy in working with each student to help them develop their own expressive languages.
Pros
Highly Informative, Friendly and highly educated staff, Spatious working environment.
Cons
Unpaid.
Progressive College looking out for it's students.
Emergency Medical Technician (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAJuly 23, 2014
The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that I was making the campus a better place to be.
Excellent Employer, Poor Pay
Research Assistant/Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAAugust 26, 2013
As this was a work-study job, it did not pay that well. But Hampshire is a great place to work for with other amazing people.
Extremely supportive and flexible for continuing education
Graphic Designer and Web Assistant (Current Employee) –  Amherst, MAMarch 30, 2012
After working for Hampshire for 3 years I decided to make a career change. My supervisor was supportive of this decision for the next 2+ years allowing me an extremely flexible schedule throughout the two year process.
Pros
culture/values
Cons
very independent department, not much team-building