Hampton Roads Transit
54Below average

Hampton Roads Transit Employee Reviews

United States47 reviews
A lot to be desired of immediate supervisors
HR management was not helpful and the employee had no other course of action. Many cliques and definitely favorites of supervisors that allowed unfair treatment. It's known and nothing is done.
I thought it was a fun place to work, semi professional and a little unorganized. Training was a little difficult. But Great benefits, but the pay and hours is not worth it.
Busy atmospher
In my position I was busy everyday. Benefits are ok, could be better. It is a union position. In my opinion the union could have fought better for the maintenance department.
U will NOT have a life if u take this job !!
I am going to give u an itemized description::::
—this job conditions are horrible

—u will work a bunch of split shifts

—unpredictable schedules

—u will never have time to go home again

—the hourly pay is low to have a CDL (14.55 to 21.00/hr), due to the fact

That a lot of non—CDL drivers are getting paid 15/hr in hampton roads

—u Will work between 12 to 14 hours a day, 6 days a week, whether u

Like it or not.

—u Will make between 49,000 and 65,000 with all of the Forced and

Mandatory overtime due to their chronic driver shortages

—people constantly quit, get fired, or use the Family medical leave act

To get out of work due to exhaustion

—not a healthy environment for the mind,body, or soul

—work this job only if u are single, and intend to never have any kids,

And if u intend to never have a spouse, or partner....because they

Will barely see u due to these ridiculous work schedules.

—be prepared to get treated like trash from management...even on a

Good day.

—accept this job, if u dont have a problem with any of the above, that

I have just described.

—and after u been driving around with passengers for 30 days, i would

Like for u to re—read everything that i have written in this article, and

Tell me was my description of this job ACCURATE ???
HRT Light rail was a great company for me to work at it has shown me a lot about work life. The management is good and they care. You will learn a lot about transportation .
Leave a review. Help people like you.
Bad management, time-consuming
The pay is good and the benefits are exceptional. As mentioned above the management could improve, it's a lot of favoritism that occurs there. It is seniority based and some of the policies are flawed and can be revised to benefit the drivers, who take a lot of heat esp. if things go south (yet they're the driving force of the company
Not a good place to work. They do not care about their drivers and the company is definitely not family friendly.
This job is for single people or retirees who’ve grown tired of being at home. Not a family friendly company and management does not hold themselves to the same standards asked of the drivers. Not enough money for what they ask of you. 6 day work week because of mandatory off day they ask of you. Not a good job.
Great Pay
Not a place to work if you have children. Good pay but alot of hours are required and forced to work overtime. Not guaranteed a set schedule. Only 10 hours of down time
very good company
I had a very good time working with the company and it s team of bus drivers. the people in the community as well... the best part as a driver for hrt is that you get to go home at the end of your working day .
My experience
First year of HRT was difficult for me to adjust to the times. My family and I had to sacrifice many missed games and recitals and holidays. Today things can still be difficult sometimes,but that's all jobs. I am able to take care of my family be more available. Still tired been on Mandatory it for 3 years tho
Not for you if you don’t wanna work 50+ hours a week
This is not a job for a single mother with elementary school aged children

This is not a job if you need two days off

This is not a job if you don’t like to take blame for things you can’t control
Consistent poor management has lead to the decline of HRT as a whole.
If you had a family, you will barely see them due to the horrible scheduling. They treat everyone as if they are expendable. Time in will mean nothing. Tou could be here 15 years and still be stuck on a horrible schedule or forced to due mandatory overtime to compensate for their screw ups. No one stays here anymore. That is due to management screw ups as well. Continually misstreating people, along with ridiculous policies that are beyond the law. Yes thats right they do things beyond legal rather than following federal guidelines which causes them to continually lose people.
Work hard and you’ll be successful
Great learning experience working with a transit company with light rail. I was able to learn a more concentrated area with my electronics background and how it is used with light rail systems. I enjoyed working with my peers, and my experience with management was positive. I would still be enjoying this position but I was promoted within the company.
I found hrt a graet place to start. If you have fears about driving a bus in city traffic hrt was a great place to learn & end fear right from the st
I enjoyed my time with hrt. I found it a graet place to learn from scratch. My trainers were very professional & did not hesitate to help any student with a problem. I have since moved on with my driving career. I have driven busses along designated routes the entire east cost of the us. I now drive coaches for a private firm and have driven accross the the entir country, never FORGETTING MY TRAINING FROM HRT
Pros
Driver training
Cons
Extra board
This company should be taken over by feds.
Management is below sub-standard. Disturbingly inappropriate. Passengers rule the transportation company. Assaults on the drivers are frequent. Accidents are caused by inexperienced drivers. This is due to the revolving door attitude.
Great job overall
Be prepared for changes, routes, weather, road conditions, passengers. Be knowledgeable, friendly, kind, SMILE. Know your vehicle be a team player, first impressions count, keep driving record clean, patience. Obey all driving laws.
Pros
Get to be in the open, meet alot of people, opportunity to work for a great company. Benefits, room for growth.
Cons
Schedules conflict with life at times, passengers at times can be a problem.
New policy
I left this job in 2016 with a two week notice. I had one misconduct with a passenger not my fault. And they are holding something 3 years ago over my head. Management sucks!
Pros
Insurance reasonable
Cons
Company don’t have your back
No Life
Starting this job was really hard. Some morning you have to be there between 4am-6am as a show up. If nothing available you have to come back. You will not have a life with this job. They will have you tired behind the wheel( even when yoy tell them). Their model is long as its a body behind the wheel. This job is so not safe.
Analysts
Site location is not good, work culture Is bad. the whole team sucks. Not balance life. Overall the career path is a failure. Pay is not even comparable.
Hampton roads transit
Management is below average but the pay is great I recommend this jobs because they essentially have unlimited over time you can work up to 14 hrs a day if you wish.
Nope
I have nothing to say. However, in my opinion, the pay did not match the job. Revenue Attendants work long hours (at night) and their job is more than just dumping cash boxes.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hampton Roads Transit. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8