Hancock Lumber Employee Reviews

Hancock Lumber
Sawmill Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsfield, MEFebruary 18, 2019
Enjoyed working for Hancock Lumber and would recommend to anyone. Fun and challenging work environment with a Senior Management Team that really cares about it's employees.
Great work places with a super family like atmosphere
Bagger (Former Employee) –  Pittsfield, MEJanuary 9, 2019
Its a great place to work for. The environment is a fast paced yet family oriented work place. Working here would be a great career starter or in general a great place to work at.
Don't drink the Koolaid!
Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Bethel, MEMarch 11, 2018
You are constantly told how lucky you are to work for the "Best Place in Maine" and how the place is "world class" It is not! The owner believes in "everyone leading" which means there is no cohesive leadership and direction. Each little group does things there way.
Pros
sweatshirts and free lunches, telling you how great the place is!
Cons
No chance of advancement
Family owned, fun company with an attention to detail and customer service
Receiver / Inside Sales Support / Project Pro (Former Employee) –  Brunswick, MEMarch 7, 2018
Great place to work. Thoroughly enjoyed working as receiver. Position is about 50/50 inside/outside. Enjoyed meeting drivers for various companies and their great stories and personalities.
Pros
Great yard people
Cons
Weird weather condidions
Hancock is a great small company where your work is appreciated. Feedback is asked for.
Yard pro (Current Employee) –  Kennebunk, MEFebruary 11, 2018
I love serving customers, and I get a chance to do that regularly during the day. The position of Yard Pro is physically demanding which for me is a double edged sword. I typically walk 6 miles a day and can't count how many hundreds of pounds of building materials Ii handle daily. It has a great work environment with teamwork happening regularly.
Pros
pay, exersize, work environment, management culture.
Cons
physically demanding, cold in winter
fast paced enviroment
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  bethel maineJanuary 29, 2018
company has decent pay is competitve very fast paced take a lot of pride in safety record would rexommend for any looking for these qualities down side only get 30 min lunch and one 15 min break in ten hour day work plus location not located near many major communties
Pros
good pay
Cons
few breaks not much oppurtunity for advancement
Qiuck paced and always busy
Boiler Operator (Former Employee) –  Casco, MEJanuary 17, 2018
This was a good first boiler r operator job. I had a lot to do and learned many skills that I have used during my career. I found out that after I left they had to hire 2 people to replace me.
Fast paced and enjoyable
Sawmill Worker (Former Employee) –  Pittsfield, MEOctober 6, 2017
Hancock is a great job for someone right out of high school. It gave me a taste of the real world, and what it is like to be involved in mill like environment.
Pros
Benefits and experience
Hancock Lumber is a family type business
CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee) –  Kennebunk, MEJuly 23, 2017
Hancock Lumber was founded in 1848. It has remained in the Hancock family since then. There are 8 or 9 retail locations now in Maine. The company cares about the welfare of their employees, but does not compensate them well. The pay scale is quite low.
The management is compensated well. Hancock Lumber is involved in the community and donates time and money to worthy causes.
It is a fun company to work for, but low paying.
Pros
Family atmosphere
Cons
Low wages
yard worker
Customer assistant (Former Employee) –  Kennebunk, MESeptember 6, 2016
it was an overall good experience working there for a summer part time position. Management and co worker were easy to get along with. overall good place to find a job
Great job for learning various aspects of the building world
Kitchen and Bath Designer (Current Employee) –  Kennebunk, MEJune 24, 2016
Designing and interacting with clients is great.
Learn designing and products/product lines
Coworkers are all easy going and overall a great crew to be a part of.
Great and fun Place
Yard Worker (Former Employee) –  Kennebunk MaineMarch 24, 2015
I was a lumber load builder and also help customers that came into the yard. I loaded and unloaded vendors and made sure stock was rotated properly. Inventory control was a large part of day to day task to make sure that we had what we need for every load.
Family run business very progressive
Regional General Manager (Former Employee) –  Souther and Western MaineAugust 11, 2014
I was given the opportunity to advance through a proven track record of accomplishments. I was in charge of 3 retail locations and the commercial sales division. Very supportive management team and coworkers
Pros
Great Company and values
Cons
Not enough of a challenge everyday
A very fun and exciting job, always something different.
Yard Worker and Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Yarmouth, MESeptember 5, 2013
I started working in the yard as a load builder, building loads and loading trucks for shipment, unloaded incoming freight trucks and moved to inside sales waiting on retail customers and contractors writing pick up orders as well as purchase orders ordering special order mill work. Handled cash and was responsible for the end of the day closing. The hardest part of the job was trying to find that hard to find item a customer was looking for and the best part was finding it and satisfying the customer.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Long hours with seldom taking a break
Not family oriented, no advancement, little to no benefits
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Pittsfield, MEMarch 26, 2013
Its hard work very strenuous on the body.. Extremely fast paced.. Management not understanding of emergency family issues..Decent salary, but not a very good place to work!!
Pros
salary
Cons
poor working conditions, no benefits..