Hand & Stone Massage and Facial Spa
Here to help
Coronavirus update
Information from Hand & Stone Massage and Facial Spa:

Hand & Stone Massage and Facial Spa Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Ashburn, VA20 reviews
Fast paced workplace with a "do nothing" manager
I loved my job and working with the clients. Getting to know each and every one of them and their needs was my specialty. Often there would be no one else there to assist me at the front desk when I had all 4 phone lines ringing and a room full of people to check out. Also, the manager was MIA when the therapists needed something done with their schedule or a day off because they were sick. They would call the spa and talk to me and then I would proceed to tell the manager. She would get upset with me because the therapists didn't go directly to her. When you've been on your own with no manager around for a while I adapted and learned a fair amount to do on my own. The therapists trusted me, and I trusted them.
Pros
Discounts on services and products
Cons
Managment
Not good.
Very unfair owner who doesn’t care an iota about employees. For instance, he also has a franchise in a pizza chain. He told one MT not to complain because he could replace her with a pizza delivery person. Other spas in the chain won’t have the same issues due to ownership.
Management is terrible
While Hand and Stone gives you a chance to build up your experience and is willing to hire professionals fresh out of school, there are a lot of downsides to the company. While they are a franchise and ran by corporate, they do not fill books as they say they will and then tell you, as a service provider that it is your job to bring in clients but give you no resources to do so (IE call lists, personal cards, weekly reviews (as far as they are supposed to but not always)). The turn over rate for the company is ridiculous, I worked for them for over a year and had three different managers for one location alone. While the last manager was a nice woman and was on top of everything during the first few months she was there, as soon as her fall semester at school started it all went down hill. We hardly had all of the supplies we needed, we never saw weekly reviews, she was hardly ever in office when she claimed she would be and was never around when clients needed to speak to her as she never let our assistant manager handle any of their concerns. Not to mention she made rules for our location that pertained to no other and they were only in affect when our general manager or whoever she was, was around in which she would make some employees look incapable when in fact she told them they weren't to do certain things, like process member cancelations. Overall I am appreciative of the experience I gained to be able to look for employment at higher end spas in the future and I am thankful for those who I got to work with as far as other service providers but this company isn't - more...
Terrible Place to Work
Broken equipment , owner employs friends at spa, hires anyone who walks through the door, owner takes salary but no work does not do background checks
Was alright in the beginning but...
Honestly management needs to differentiate between work place relationships and friendships. There is evident favoritism between the manager and some employees which can be pretty demeaning and just unfair in general. Coworkers here are great, with an exception of a few and the massage therapists and estheticians are very sweet. As a spa associate, you do a lot of work for $9 which in the long run isn't worth it. Also, when you first start out, they put you into hard tasks immediately and become frustrated when you mess up or need help. Overall, it's not a bad job to start with but there are many things that make it kind of hard to work there.
Would you recommend working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
Great rooms, great equipment, great products, great training. I love this job. The clients are very nice. I stay busy, I almost never have idle time. The people are all very friendly. The schedule is very flexible.
I lasted 4 days
I picked this job up part time knowing it would be pretty calm and easy since I had worked spa reception before. It was easy for me to use the system because the last spa I worked at had the same system.
Anyway, my “boss” pretty much had me working on my own after the first day because everyone else at the front desk was new as well. That’s fine it was easy.

However, what I did not like is how strong the spa comes on with selling memberships. They call it “the pitch” I’m a very sale oriented person and I’m driven by sales my career depends on it as I am a licensed esthetician, however no one needs to be shoving relaxed clientele memberships right after their service. Informing them of the lifestyle program is one thing but having a WHOLE pitch is another. It’s not for me.

I honestly felt bad booking clients there because none of the therapists in the back seemed to know what they were talking about. I literally watched an Esthetician sell an acne based product to two of her clients in a row saying it was for hyperpigmentation. So after they left I walked over to look at what it was because I have hyperpigmentation and I hadn’t seen that particular dermalogica product. It’s main ingredient was salicylic acid. It was to be used for acne scaring. Another esthetician here that was an “elite esthetician, her nails were acrylic and super long, I was like how do you do facials that’s disgusting. As a client I would hate that.

That wasn’t my only problem here. It seemed like everyone liked gossip here and I wasn’t for it. The leader of the gossip? The manager... I also got
 - more...
stress free work environment. Everyone is a team player
Love my job. Everyone works well together and as a team. You walk in and its a relaxed feeling when you walk through the door. Everyone gets along. There is no drama. The manager is a therapist and is very caring and understands how hard the job is on our bodies. She is supportive and makes sure we have the breaks we need throughout our day. I've worked in several spas and this one by far has been my favorite.
Bad management makes for a bad experience for everyone
Store manager was irresponsible and caused unnecessary stress by passing off tasks to untrained staff then getting upset when said tasks were incomplete or inadequately done. She set very inconsistent expectations for certain staff and not others; favoritism was obvious.
Pros
front desk team was awesome!
Cons
store owners wouldn't take appropriate action against the store manager.
Slow-paced spa whose main focus is already established LEs and MTs
- manager over staffed LEs
- refused to talk about going FT with multiple LEs

- would only have 1 LE per room per day (even if they only worked 10-1)

- was advertised as having a high walk in rate when that was the complete opposite

- catered to already established LEs and MTs instead of newly hired LEs with no clientele

- terrible at marketing and advertising

- refusal to let staff know what the books looked like- even if the book was empty, they would make you come in

- left without having a single client 40% of the time

- laundry was never done in a timely manor, causing a shortage of towels

- can ONLY use/ push clarity for the first 3 months despite clients skin

- had to use wash cloths multiple times in place of towels due to laundry shortage

- manager refused to acknowledge my resignation email- did not email me back, text, or even say anything in person (unprofessional)

- physical location was terrible

- disconnection between staff and management
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Management, hours, next to no clientele
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Hand & Stone Massage and Facial Spa?
stress free work environment
Environment is nice and calming. Very slow pace and compensation needs improvement. Management is hands on an attentive. Guest are given a variety of options for treatment alone with different product lines.
Pros
environment and guest
Cons
compensation
Horrible place to work
The Hand & Stone is Manassas is a horrible place to work, the owners of the establishment have no clue how to run a business or how to properly treat their employees, they are constantly shorting paychecks, they ignore your concerns, they are incredibly rude as well when you bring an issue to their attention, they ignore clients, if you want a call back for anything good luck getting it, overall the place is very poorly run and is not a good place to work, I would never recommend it to anyone. They also withhold your first 12 hours of training pay for 3 months which is incredibly illegal.
Pros
none.
Cons
poor management, rude owners, shady business
short term job
not a long term job high turnover rate low paying for cost of living in area no benefits good thing about company is flexible schedule. they higher anyone.
Pros
flexible
Cons
low pay
A good start for new massage therapists
If your just starting out , this company offers better wages than some other corporate run spas. Unfortunately the location I worked at was passed around to different owners and there never was a steady person-in-charge to go to.
Pros
Flexible schedules
Cons
Mandatory hot stone massage training
Overall it's okay
Hand and Stone is a stress free work environment at first. It gets boring fast. There's not always things to do. The manager has a hard time separating work relationships and outside relationships
Such a good place to get skills under your belt
I still work here and it is the most rewarding job I have ever had. I do so much yet it does not feel like it. Everyday is different and the clients and all of my coworkers are absolutely great!
Not Professional
Too much Gossip, turnover, poor pay, not very clean. Great co-workers, loved the clients. Flexible with hours. Hardest part of job was the location, not enough clients, poor pay, pushed to sell products, dismissed if working part time because they are all about the bottom line which is money for the company.
Wonderful!
Great place to work, supportive management and energetic team members. In depth training is provided with reasonable compensation.
waste of time
Management unprofessional. Job duties are excessive and expectations unrealistic to compensation. Working conditions are poor...
Pros
microwave
Cons
Too much work not enough pay
Fun workplace but needs better management
I would say that overall if the management would change the job could be one of the best places to work. The other associates are nice and like to help when needed. The clients are frequent and you get to know several. It feels like a family.
Pros
new experiences
Cons
bad management