Hand and Stone Massage and Facial Spa Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
The people I work with are like family
Massage Therapist (Current Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAJuly 16, 2018
Pay was changed and now low, we were all cut in pay. They changed it to pay wait time of 10.50 per hour plus 23% commission of your sales. Now we don't even know the value of our sales.
Pros
people I work with are like family
Cons
Low pay, no benefits.
poor management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 16, 2018
poor management; too much drama; too much turnover; poor customer service; store not busy enough to keep staff busy; so much great potential under different circumstances
Pros
Cons
see review
Run!
Sales (Former Employee) –  Watchung, NJJuly 12, 2018
DO NOT APPLY TO THE WATCHUNG LOCATION. They advertise 50,000 salary when in actuality they start you at 17 an hour. Their commission rates are subpar. If you are fresh out of school, STAY AWAY. They sell you a dream. You will
Not be able to make ends meet off of the money they provide you. They will say there is room for advancement, but there is NOT. The work life balance is horrendous. They will attempt to bully you into work more days to increase their own revenue, not your. The watchung location is beautiful, however, the amount of stress given to the entire staff is something that you can do without. If you’re an experienced MT or Esthetician and are good at your craft you’re better off finding a different company. You’ll be used to a starting rate of $23 or higher per hour but at the watchung location you will never see this. The strip mall it is located in is doing very poorly and you’ll be lucky to build a book here within 3-5 years. PLEASE STAY AWAY.
Not interested in explaining.
Lead Receptionist/Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAJuly 10, 2018
Things were good in the beginning but ended very badly. Poor management and low salary with no benefits whatsoever; not the greatest. Things were very disorganized and all over the place.
Pros
free massages and facials sometimes, the environment could be relaxing at times, made some good friends with coworkers along the way
Cons
everything else! no benefits, poor management, disorganized, low salaries, etc, etc, etc
Productive and fun environment. Friendly staff
Massage Therapist (Current Employee) –  Laguna Beach, CAJuly 2, 2018
Great working environment. The staff is very friendly and always willing to help. The clients are nice and never had a bad experience. Very corporate but not stressful. A good balance between corporate policies and the well being to take care of their employees.
Good place to work, no matter what other people in other states may say
Licensed Massage Therapist (Current Employee) –  Spring Lake, NJJune 23, 2018
I am happy to be at Hand and Stone Spa NJ. My boss is very understanding, generous and knows how to run a business the right way. Although base pay is much less than I am accustomed to,(par for franchises) with 21 years experience, the proximity to my home makes up for the lack in commission.

On a lesser note,Corporate sometimes pushes too hard for what they think we should do; they sit at desks while we produce. Being the Professional that I am, I know it's all tied in to the success of our spa in particular, up there in the national ratings.
A great starter location for physical experience, but for no longer than 2yrs
Licensed Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 22, 2018
After working in two separate locations at least a year or more, the experience was only as good as YOU could make it.

Team building skills are always overlooked and that usually tears apart the workplace. The Management team can be happy in the success in sales alone; but if there is no camaraderie amongst the front desk associates and the service providers, everything always ends in shambles.
Pros
discounts on retail items
Cons
no paid vacation time or guarantee of time off
Terrible working standards
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  LACEY TWP NJJune 21, 2018
Manager at lacey store in nj was terrible. I have nothing nice to say about the store of her. Liked to humilitate you in front of patrons and other coworkers,
Fun Workplace, a nice stepping stone
Spa Associate/Front Desk (Current Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXJune 14, 2018
The spa can be relaxing but also very fast paced and stressful. The job is fun as long as you pace yourself. You have to keep a good communication with the back staff and a peace throughout the spa.
The front desk staff has a great system and we have to be a team, I'm grateful for the opportunity of this job.
Pros
Accommodating hours, comfortable uniforms, great teamwork, amazing spa manager.
Cons
Scheduling errors, unnecessary tasks, time could be spent better, therapists can be a little rude and disrespect to front staff.
Great place to work!
Spa Associate (Current Employee) –  NJJune 13, 2018
I was in charge of running the front of the spa. I handled client check-ins and transactions at the end of the services. I implemented different marketing posters and discounts for each month. I also was in charge of training all new spa associates. I also attended many training classes as an esthetician for the company.
Pros
bonus, commission
Great Work Culture
ASSISTANT REGIONAL MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Houston, TxJune 12, 2018
I enjoy coming to work with lovely individuals who truly love the Hand and Stone Brand. A great work family and their business model is great. Hand and Stone if the top of the line for membership based spa franchises.
Good for Recent Grad
LMT (Former Employee) –  Palm Harbor, FLJune 6, 2018
Recent grads will do well here. There is less pressure to sell than the other franchises. The spas are usually clean and bright. Extras are easy to sell here and boost your pay. They're usually pretty busy at this location.
No management
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 6, 2018
At my particular location. We never had a spa manager. Therefore it made it very difficult to speak with someone about issues..
If your a sale's person and want to sell all the upgrades you have the potential to make money. However if you don't upgrade dr your pay really stinks at 15-16 and your. IF hands on!! And really why did the majority of massage therapist go to massage school. NOT to sell.. but because we are healers by touch. And not to mention. You have people running the business that know nothing of massage. So all in all I was left with a bad taste in my mouth.
An InBetween Job
Spa Associate/ Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 31, 2018
This is a job for people who need a job that just need temporary income or supplemental income for fun or to be busy! Owners and management at most locations are pretty much rude and unorganized. Even corporate is somewhat rude and they treat their employees pretty bad. Tough skin is needed to stay for over 4-6 months with this company.
Pros
Service discounts, free services, easy work, great atmosphere, and staff orher than management is great.
Cons
Low hourly wage, lot of work to be undercompensated and under appreciated, horrible communication. No other types of benefits.
Worst job of my life
Spa Manager (Former Employee) –  MichiganMay 29, 2018
Hand and stone is one of the worst places you can ever work, no job security, managers who lock them self in the office on call all day everyday, no commission for extra hours worked, the owners are nuts and they do not care about anything. And they expect you to run and bend over backwards for little pay.
Cool place to work
Spa Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCMay 27, 2018
Would definitely recommend as a cool place to work (easy, and kind of fun at times) but definitely doesn’t pay too well for cost of living. Highly recommend to college student
Pros
Laid back atmosphere, can sit down
Cons
Boring at times, pay not enough
Terrible and corrupt work environment
Esthetician (Former Employee) –  Southern Pines, NCMay 26, 2018
My time at hand and stone taught me many things. First, these spas are notorious for having poor management. At the location I worked at in Southern Pines, workers were having intimate relationships with each other, some were getting preferential treatment, while others were getting completely neglected and we're not getting booked appointments. If you were not sucking up to the managers, you were getting the bad end of the deal. Clients complained constantly of how our management treated them. The turn over rate between front desk, service providers, and clients is just completely out of this world. In addition, there were continuous issues with supplies, sanitation products, and overall cleanliness of the spa. Disinfectant was not changed properly, and equipment and machinery was not properly disinfected. Management was known for yelling at clients, and employees, in very large loud arguments that were continuous. Owners were knowledgeable, and simply did not care about these issues and tended to side with management. As you have read, working here is asking to deplete your life of any joy. DON'T DO IT!!
Pros
Cons
Low pay, hard hours, no time off, mistreatment
hand and stone
Master Esthetician (Former Employee) –  Fleming Island, FLMay 26, 2018
Working at Hand and Stone was a great experience, the people I worked with became like family, we were a great team. The clients were very loyal and if was nice to be able to see them every month and see the benefit of monthly facials on their skin.
not a good place
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Pompton Lakes, NJMay 22, 2018
The company at the time did not offer any type of health coverage, you were required to do laundry and not be compensated for it, incentives were often not promised but not given. Days that had been asked off for well in advance and with management approval were later questioned. They restricted where you could go on your down time for which you were not paid.
Assistant management and key holder spa salesman
Asst Mngr/Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 22, 2018
Hand and Stone Spa is an amazing company woth a lot of potential for growth. Most of or all of the therapiats there are highly experienced, licensed and love to help make people feel better. Assistant managment work was organized, however did get inconsistencies at tomes where there would be no more room for growth.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hand and Stone Massage and Facial Spa. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

2.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight