Hand and Stone Massage and Facial Spa Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
would recommend for massage therapist
Esthetician (Current Employee) –  McDonough, GAAugust 14, 2018
great work as long as you stay busy! better if you live near by rather than far away! pay is good when youre busy! i would recommend it for massage therapist or for estheticians. is a great job for building up your clientele.
Fun, competitive envioronment
LEAD SPA ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXAugust 12, 2018
Customer service based job with a strong emphasis on selling memberships. The owners were very involved and were very encouraging to each associate. Your membership sales percentages are tracked for each pay period. Great discounts on products, may be picked for massage and facial training so you may get a free massage or facial. Hardest part was dealing with angry customers especially if the manager makes it your responsibility to do so. If you make a mistake with bookings, massage therapist and estheticians would get angry.
Pros
Fun environment, recognized for high sales percentage, interacting with clients
Cons
angry clients, angry therapists, shady management at times.
Excellent management and coworkers
Esthetician (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXAugust 11, 2018
I was apprehensive about Hand & Stone because I had never worked for a commission only employer. I have been pleasantly surprised each day working at H&S.
Pros
Breaks, wonderful coworkers, atmosphere
Cons
Commission only
Very Competitive and good for skill building
Senior Spa Associate (Current Employee) –  Washington Township MIAugust 11, 2018
Sales are very important here. With a growing clientele, it is a very fasts paced environment and teaches you a lot of people and life skills as well. Very diverse environment
It’s all in the franchise
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Wesley Chapel, FLAugust 11, 2018
Job is typical massage job it depends on the franchise owner. I’ve had good and bad but the last one was so bad I wouldn’t recommend any at this point.
Good when busy
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXAugust 10, 2018
When there is plenty of business working here is great. people here genuinely seem to like each other and care about their clients. if you're a new therapist during the slow season it may be hard to pay bills because most people who come in are looking for their specific therapist.
Pros
Realax, great owners, good management
Cons
they keep snacks around that will make you fat
Bad Management, No Advancement, Drama Filled
Lead Spa Associate (Former Employee) –  Concord, NCAugust 8, 2018
There is no advancement here. If you are comfortable staying in the same place your whole career, then maybe this is the place for you. The manager is terrible and pawns her work off on other people and doesn't pay them for it. Angry clients all the time because the manager doesn't follow up with them. Constant gossip. The manager forms cliques and gossips about others. Its nearly a free for all there and there is no structure. They also will do their best to not compensate you for your work and leave things off of your paycheck. Avoid this place if at all possible.
Pros
Comission incentives & good discount
Cons
No advancement, no managerial skills, drama, & harassment
Quick Review
Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  24640 North Lake Pleasant ParkwayAugust 8, 2018
The company went through a lot of changes in employees due to management concerns with customers. A lot of pressure to sell services and products. Management needs to figure out why they lose so many employees.
Pros
Good Opportunity for Experience
Cons
Preference is not Sales
owner picks and choose
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Montgomeryville, PAAugust 8, 2018
I liked the clients but working with Connie the owner was the worst. She has favorites and has a board with sad faces when the esthetician doesn't meet her quota.
Hand and Stone is a great good places to work but there is not room for growior moving up in the business
Massage therapist (Current Employee) –  Township of Deptford, NJJuly 27, 2018
Massage therapy is what I love doing but I would love to run my own Massage Business ,and teach it as well. It’s a very calming work field but i Hand and Stone I work for is not hourly paid . So if I don’t have clients I don’t get paid and I need more .
Cons
Piece work, if your not full time there’s no benefits
These reviews do not lie!
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  FloridaJuly 25, 2018
I was employed by Hand & Stone for about 2.5 years and worked my way up to becoming an assistant manager and finally had the nerve to throw in the towel. Before you even thinking about accepting a job with this company, read the reviews! I ended up getting in touch with corporate because of my experience working here. I’d rather not get into detail about the terrible things that happened at the 3 locations I worked at (all the same owner), but needless to say, it’s not worth the mental abuse they put their front desk through.
The comission is great and I’m a believer in all that Hand & Stone has to offer, but don’t waste your time here.
Pros
Comission, easy, fast paced
Cons
Absolutely hated my experience at my location
Esthetician (Former Employee) –  Wesley Chapel, FLJuly 24, 2018
I’m sure if you have a good management, and a good relationship with them you’ll have an overall good experience at a hand and stone! Personally for me, my work environment was very unhealthy and I dreaded going into work every day. (Which isn’t something that should happen when you LOVE what you do for a living) The pay as long as you had a steady clientele, and were doing add-ons was actually pretty nice! Unfortunately, a nice paycheck isn’t enough for me to stay with this company.
It’s a Sales Job
Spa Associatr (Current Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLJuly 23, 2018
I love working here. We use a group texting app where we all get to cheer each other on and help each other out. It is a sales job so if you are shy or don’t like sales then you wouldn’t like it. I think it’s fun though.
Pros
Lots of training and ways to grow. Good commission.
Cons
It can get super hectic when it’s busy.
Owner didn’t care about their employees
Licensed Esthetician (Former Employee) –  Commack, NYJuly 21, 2018
The employees and the services offered were good, but the owner was terrible to work for and didn’t care about his employees and their safety and only cared about how much money he can make off the clientele. He was extremely unprofessional at all times horrible business owner.
Pros
Co-workers, product line
Cons
Owner and management
great place learn your craft
Esthetician (Former Employee) –  Huntingdon Valley, PAJuly 20, 2018
I was fresh out of school when I was hired. They allowed me to practice and gave feed back to improve my skills. They allowed time for me to attend training off site with their skin care line Clarity and Dermalogica which I found most helpful in my practice.
Good and bad aspects, horrible management
Manager (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLJuly 17, 2018
some room for andvancement, all around bad management, owner makes stuff up about people, unrealistic expectations, starting pay is super low. Good job for a high schooler who still has family support. Very strict work environment and lots of issues daily.
Pros
Discounted massages, bonuses
Cons
No health benefits, mainly part time, stressful, bad management
The people I work with are like family
Massage Therapist (Current Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAJuly 16, 2018
Pay was changed and now low, we were all cut in pay. They changed it to pay wait time of 10.50 per hour plus 23% commission of your sales. Now we don't even know the value of our sales.
Pros
people I work with are like family
Cons
Low pay, no benefits.
poor management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 16, 2018
poor management; too much drama; too much turnover; poor customer service; store not busy enough to keep staff busy; so much great potential under different circumstances
Pros
Cons
see review
Run!
Sales (Former Employee) –  Watchung, NJJuly 12, 2018
DO NOT APPLY TO THE WATCHUNG LOCATION. They advertise 50,000 salary when in actuality they start you at 17 an hour. Their commission rates are subpar. If you are fresh out of school, STAY AWAY. They sell you a dream. You will
Not be able to make ends meet off of the money they provide you. They will say there is room for advancement, but there is NOT. The work life balance is horrendous. They will attempt to bully you into work more days to increase their own revenue, not your. The watchung location is beautiful, however, the amount of stress given to the entire staff is something that you can do without. If you’re an experienced MT or Esthetician and are good at your craft you’re better off finding a different company. You’ll be used to a starting rate of $23 or higher per hour but at the watchung location you will never see this. The strip mall it is located in is doing very poorly and you’ll be lucky to build a book here within 3-5 years. PLEASE STAY AWAY.
Not interested in explaining.
Lead Receptionist/Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAJuly 10, 2018
Things were good in the beginning but ended very badly. Poor management and low salary with no benefits whatsoever; not the greatest. Things were very disorganized and all over the place.
Pros
free massages and facials sometimes, the environment could be relaxing at times, made some good friends with coworkers along the way
Cons
everything else! no benefits, poor management, disorganized, low salaries, etc, etc, etc

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hand and Stone Massage and Facial Spa. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

2.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight