Hand and Stone Massage and Facial Spa Employee Reviews

Starting in a Young Business is Tough
SERVICE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  OhioFebruary 16, 2019
A typical day for me involved making sure the spa was open, set up according to business preferences. The hardest part of my job was being the key contact, managing employees without being able to make changes or adjustments without owner permission. I felt like I was not a manager, but had the responsibilities and stress as one (without the ability to make changes, requests, etc).
Pros
Flexible schedule--got to make my own, spa product and service discounts
Cons
40+ hours without overtime pay
Do not work here
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Highlands Ranch, COFebruary 14, 2019
I worked here for less than 3 hours! It was my first day and visibly nervous. Within 5 minutes of working there they immediately expected me to know how to do everything. The phone rang and I was expected to answer it and schedule an appointment. I told my manager I wasn’t comfortable with that considering I had been there less than 10 minutes and wanted to shadow her for a little so I could get my bearings on how this company ran. They eventually sent me home because it was “slow”. I got a text around MIDNIGHT saying, word for word, they think it’s “best for me to take some time off for myself and get my self together. Reach back out to us once you have done that and if there is still a spot we MAY considering bringing you back on”. Overall, extremely unprofessional and didn’t educate me on my job duties very well. How are you going to fire someone after three hours of work? They only care about sales. Everything is centered around sales.
Cons
Training, management, pay
get ready to do everyone else job
Front Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 14, 2019
The business as a whole is kind of a joke. They're hire anyone that walks off the street. People that are clearly not a good fit for the job. The manager will put off everything. For example, client issues. Clients will call saying that they have been trying to get in touch with her for the past week. No matter how many times you tell the manager, they probably won't call them back. Rules are always changing, everything there was very incvncsistnat. The manager is nice, however, she tries to do the least amount of work possible. That will fall back on the front desk.
Pros
managers are friendly
Cons
inconsistent with services and therapists
Nice work place
Esthetician (Current Employee) –  Tukwila, WAFebruary 12, 2019
Very nice place to work at but not very busy and the pay isn’t great to make a living. When you have clients you make good money but if it is slow you’re making minimum wage and either hourly or comminsion so the pay is not good.
Slaves wages
Licensed Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Upper St. Clair, PAFebruary 7, 2019
This spa has a beautiful environment, and it’s a good springboard for new therapists fresh out of school. Sadly no one stays because the compensation is a mere $17.99 per massage. For an experienced therapist, having to overwork yourself to make a decent living, coupled with poor management is a deal breaker. Add to that the drama when co workers show up high or smelling like marijuana. (Management refused to act) Not a good situation. Most reputable companies worth their salt will pay a therapist 50% as massaging is hard work.
Pros
Beautiful atmosphere
Cons
The hourly wage stinks
Owners are the downfall
Licensed Massage Therapist (LMT) (Former Employee) –  Upper St. Clair, PAFebruary 7, 2019
Spa is lovely and well decorated. Employees are great. Owners don’t care about the employees and are only worried about numbers and money. Hand and Stone has potential but avoid the upper st Clair location.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Ownership
Do not work there
Spa Associate (Former Employee) –  Wesley Chapel, FLFebruary 3, 2019
No opportunity for advancement. Manager and owner micromanage and do not care or show compassion for employees. There are no benefits and no appreciation.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Manager and Owner
Avoid this place like the plague
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXFebruary 2, 2019
The management here loves to play favorites, not to mention the drama between the staff is ridiculous. This is a very stressful job with poor training. All they care about is making the sale (memberships). You are always being watched and if you don't ”perform well” to their liking, you will be forced to do role-play. No wonder this place has new people every week!
Pros
Discounts on services
Could be SO much better
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 29, 2019
Ok place to work if your're fresh out of school. Be prepared to be worked like a dog. Management is horrible, pay is worse. The incentive pay/sign on bonus is a joke.
Cons
Management and pay
Horrible.
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Anthem, AZJanuary 26, 2019
Working at Hand and Stone has been a nightmare. If your sales are not amazing 100% of the time your hours are threatened. You are harrassed and threatened with revoking hours if you cannot always pick up shifts or come in on last minute notice when not scheduled. Management is a complete joke, very childish and unprofessional.
Pros
commission
Cons
hours, management ect.
The worst company I have ever worked for
Manager (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLJanuary 26, 2019
I NEVER write reviews on companies, but I had to write something for this franchise I worked at. The problem stems from the owner. They take micromanaging to a whole new level it makes your job extremely stressful. Being a part of management you are expected to be a manager AND work the front desk, sell memberships, gift cards, etc, all while managing an entire spa. It's unrealistic. On top of that they pay the front desk staff extremely low so no one wants to work their long term or all you have is 18 year olds who do not care. You are expected to be on call 15 hours every single day and forget it if you're sick. No calling out unless you have coverage. Who is supposed to cover a managers shift? How about take better care of your employees and you'd be surprised how your business will thrive. You are required to download an app and post every single move you make when It comes to booking, upgrades, memberships, etc. And forget about managing, you need to ask permission for anything.

Overall, I WOULD HIGHLY SUGGEST TO NOT WORK FOR THIS FRANCHISE. Prior managers have said the same thing about the environment and ownership being extremely toxic. The owner expects you to do the job of two employees: Manager and front desk.

A little advise: Stop micromanaging every little detail.
Pros
good salary pay for manager, commission off memberships
Cons
POOR ownership, micromanaging, over worked
work here if you can sell memberships
Sales spa associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 22, 2019
after only working here for a month and half i got fired because " i wasnt trying hard enough."
Only apply to this job if you can sell memberships thats all they care for.
only great thing was that it was a laid back job.
Not great
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Kendall, FLJanuary 22, 2019
Hands down the most unprofessional experience I've had as an employee.
To begin the management is completely hands off leaving the staff no where to turn when problems arise.
Management believes in rewarding clients for being late and not paying therapist when they dont show up.
Management will also cut your hours with out letting you know in advance and pretend like they didn't know what they were doing.
$15 a massage isnt worth it.
They dont even give staff discounts.
Pros
Cons
Hands off management style, low pay, unorganized and unprofessional
If The Shoe Fits
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Washington, MIJanuary 21, 2019
Be prepared for endless drama among co-workers.
Good thing is the commission is nice and although there is a lot of damage control (it's been open for almost 6 years), it's a very busy business.
Management needs indefinite work, unless you like micromanagement. Constantly messaging superiors about what's going on in the spa. No independence. Owner is knowledgeable but bites more than she can chew. Fair with paychecks and bonuses.
Co-workers either make or break the job. The professionalism among the employees was extremely low. The massage therapists always have problems with front desk.
On the other hand, other front desk co-workers affects your shift. Because if they don't do their job, you have to take care of the damage.
This job wasn't a mistake, but a lesson.
Pros
Breaks, Commission
Cons
Poor training, constant damage control, co-workers performance affects your shift, pushes workload
Petty Manager
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Upper St. Clair, PAJanuary 21, 2019
Manager has no experience supervising others, those who do there job get punished for those who don’t. No advancement opportunities and will give you less hours when the manager doesn’t like you. Manger doesn’t pay any attention to details then get mad when you can’t fix the problems that arises from her neglect. The environment is toxic and full of drama!
Pros
Free massages
Cons
Manager, Drama, No advancement or benefits
Wouldn’t recommend
Spa Associate (Former Employee) –  Township of Washington, MIJanuary 18, 2019
Biggest turnover rate for associates and managers I have ever seen! Would never recommend working here. Loved the spa environment but too many issues with the company. Almost 30 associates in 6 months, this should tell a lot.
Pros
Commission
Cons
Poor management
not my favorite job but not terrible
Hand and Stone massage and facial spa associate (Former Employee) –  Leander, TXJanuary 16, 2019
management made rules that "everyone" needed to abide by but would bend the rules for the employees they liked the most. They also talked behind my back about my family and I.
Pros
Easy work
massage Therpaist
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYJanuary 16, 2019
A typical day at work at hand and stone was so relaxing. I could just come in do my job and leave with little thought about stocking and finance. The hardest part of the job was the fast turn around.
Great job for someone who wants predictability
Massage Therapist (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 15, 2019
Management is great at the location I work at, job is minimal stress and fairly consistent. I’m able to work in the style of massage I’m best at, would be nice if they offered benefits.
Pros
Front end takes care of scheduling
Cons
No benefits
Huge Disappointment
Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Geneva, ILJanuary 1, 2019
Started there really excited, was given the job during interview. You have a lot of duties/responsibilities being a Spa Associate....not enough pay given for amount of work you give. There is a very high turnover rate so you must be good in sales to do well. Had a great experience in the beginning and was promoted quickly within a couple months. Once they offered me to move to another location, everything went downhill. Was told I would get a free massage since I reached my sales goal, but ended up being told it could only be with a therapist in training- deceptive to me. It was very sloppy once I moved locations, did not get formally introduced or hardly an acknowledgement to say the least. There is a lot of drama surrounding the spa and a lack of professionalism. I did enjoy seeing regular clients though. It was an extremely disappointing experience and I left due to poor management.
Pros
clients
Cons
no benefits, no monthly massages, poor management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hand and Stone Massage and Facial Spa. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

2.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight