Handy.com

Working at Handy.com: 37 Reviews

United States37 reviews

customcustomerhourpaytimejobgoodwork

No one knows what they're doing there

Trying to get ahold of customer service for help is a joke. The company is constantly trying to get over on either you or the customer. Not enough time built in or being able to bring help. Pay rate is below what you can make with other companies. Dealing with frustrated customers is just as bad as customer service "help" you rcv as a contractor with them.

Able to make your own schedule

Clients sometimes pay you in cash as a tip or they also pay through the portal which will be on the money with your deposits and he's a great company I enjoyed working there

Pros

Making your own schedule

Cons

Some time clients cancel after your on your way

Handy.com insights

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Supportive environment
  • Sense of belonging

Inadequate and scamming company

Scam you completely ! Whatever you ready bad about them believe it!!! It’s ALLLLL TRUE! They charge customers like 200/500$ for a job and only pay the employee like $80 of that. (Confirmed by a customer) . And the communication part everyone talks about best believe you can’t EVER get ahold of these people! Employees I suggest making cards and giving the customers and customers give your techs a chance and contact them directly!! You just might win better! And everyone wins! Middle man only ok for so long

Pros

A start up for placing you in front of customers if you need

Cons

Everything else about them

Terrible communication!!

Handy is terrible at communication with it's contractors and customers. I CONSTANTLY have issues getting paid on time, and have to send an email requesting payment, only to be told I was paid correctly. Then I send more emails telling them they are wrong, and we go back and forth for about a week until I finally receive the correct pay. This is for EVERY JOB, about 10-15 per week. That means I waste HOURS communicating back and forth just to get paid.

Terrible company, no consideration for employees

This is typical of Handy: you have a job on your scheduled for Monday. You get reminders Saturday Sunday and Monday morning that you're supposed to be at work at 8 a.m. Monday morning. But then you get in your car and you try to access the map to the house where you're supposed to be working in the job is gone just like that, gone. No notification nothing they just take it off your schedule. Now you're left with a day off you didn't want because you scheduled with handy. Then I see that the job has reappeared two days later on my schedule they didn't even ask me if I was free that day which I'm not and they just put it on my schedule unbelievable. Then you'll get a text message at 8:30 from them saying that the customer canceled the job which I know for a fact they didn't. I had been talking to the woman because that Monday would have been the third time I what's going out to the woman's house to complete her carport because of handy is too cheap to send three people out there which is what it takes to set this thing up. These people should not be in business. Do not work for these people it's more headache than it's worth believe you me.

Pros

Flexible hours

Cons

Employee abuse, no contact number, constant scheduling problems, emloyees pay high cancelation fees but customers can cancel same day and pay nothing

Support is inept

Unbelievably bad support. Good luck getting a straight answer from anyone without 40 emails. You can’t get in touch with customer until 24 hours beforehand, and if you find out from them the scope is not accurate or will require more than they anticipated, for you to change it you get charged a fee. Pay is pretty low for most things. The scope they have is typically inadequate at best, basically, you just have to get lucky that it’s only what they say in two sentences or you will lose money.

Pros

If customer doesn’t show you get paid (after emailing 40 times) up to 3 hours

Cons

EVERYTHING else

No loyalty to employees

Not listening to employees is not good we are the heart and soul of your business not the customers They always believe what customers tell them without hearing employees side. They take your pay they take your clients all the time

Pros

Cons

You have no control of your money

Glitchy app

There's nothing like driving 35 miles to a job that was cancelled the day before but not updated in the app! When a client edits their request it's removed from your schedule? I've had clients cancel because the product wasn't delivered but, why can't that arrangement be maintained UNTIL the delivery? Why make the client reschedule?

Pros

Build your own schedule

Cons

No mileage compensation

It’s a tech company that has no business quoting jobs

These characters have you by the short hairs. If you have a disagreement about them cutting your pay which is often, there’s no one to call. The customer can lie and they’ll cut your pay or cut you off all together. They always mis quote jobs by many hours and sometimes by days.

Absolute scam, avoid at all costs

Slave wages, no phone employee support, and you dont get a chance to respond if a claim is opened against you. They use their TOS to get you to sign away any rights you have. They can confiscate your wages at will. It's a scam.

Pros

Cons

Slave labor

Able to travel

Pick up your own gigs using the handy app. Flexible schedules great for students. Fast pay. Get paid weekly for the jobs completed the previous week. 1-2 hour gigs usually.

You pay for everything cleaning supplies, vacuum, broom, paper towels

Handy doesn’t take out taxes, you basically get pay for a house like a small apartment, they don’t pay for gas fair, you can’t contact them through phone, when you send emails they take they time to get back to you

Pros

Flexible schedule

Cons

Everything, you feel you working for free

Cleaning i just started this job.

I really dont know what to Except from this job I just started, I get paid by the job, cleaning jobs thank you however thru I'm very witty and a real hoot and a hooley l.

Feel taken Advantage of

You cannot communicate with anyone via voice, only texts and emails. They do not share the revenue fairly. They also set unrealistic times for accomplishing handyman duties especially those coming through home advisor. I have actually lost money doing some jobs for them and others end up making $5 an hour. Would not recommend this job to anyone who needs money.

Working with Handy was an experience in which I put my all into and it turned out all my hard work just taken from me within 3 days of unexpected car

I loved the different styles in living and the many different cultures and ways of living although for job security....no matter how hard you are working and if you rate at 100%, so if you are looking for long term then handy is definitely not the place to invest much time and energy

company support is non- existant

I like the idea of working for Handy. I like the business model. However, there is zero support from Handy. There is no phone number to call if there is a problem. You are completely on your own to fix, resolve or walk away from a job. Handy expects you to email them if you have an issue. They will answer back the next day if you are lucky. The response you get makes it pretty clear no one actually reads your email. Doesn't help if you are standing their with a customer. There are lots of issues too. The descriptions of the jobs are usually vague at best. You don't know what you are walking into. Its really a shame because it could be a good thing if whoever is running this company gave a dam..

False advertisement in pay rate

I noticed that Handy is advertising in Philadelphia area Craigslist that you can make from $15 an hour to $22 an hour. However, in Philadelphia the pay rate is only $13 an hour. I have been a professional cleaner with Handy for over 3 years however my pay rate was reduced from $16 an hour to now $13 an hour. I don't know why Handy had to reduce the pay rate in the Philadelphia area to $13 an hour despite myself being one of Handy's top rated pro cleaners. I was disappointed that I could no longer remain on Handy's platform because of the reduced pay rate.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Pay reduction from $16 per hour to $13 pay rate

don't work for them they're dishonest

Horrible management. No way to contact a live person. Unfair fines, stealing my large tips, lying about giving my clients to other people when the clients requested me exclusively

Cons

incompetent management, dishonest

It’s a totally at driven job,

It’s an app driven job, therefore no immediate supervisor pressureKong which makes it somewhat nice but on the other hand there is no immediate help available with any issues immediately at hand You are pretty much just given work order and from there it’s you and the customer

Pros

Meet people, your own boss, payouts through the week.

Cons

Working with a virtual boss, always seems to have the same answer, just different answers for each category.

learn to be your own boss

Working for them is basically you working for yourself, you are an independent contractor. your clientele depends on your customer service skills. My 2 years working for them I had over 300 customers.

Pros

Meeting new people and working all over brooklyn

Cons

cancellations, and no benefits

Company still employee money throgh claiming job that the employee did not claimed, so they can charge u cancellation fee for $20

Bad Company, they claimed job as if was the employee doing it, so they can charge you $20 cancellation fee, they like to still employee money,,,,insane how this companies works

Pros

nothing

Cons

stilling employee money through cancellation fee, where they claimed job that u could not get done because it was too far away

Common questions about Handy.com

Answered by current and former employees at Handy.com

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Handy.com. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.1 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits