Handy Employee Reviews

Relaxed atmosphere
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 12, 2018
It’s a great place to work only thing I would suggest better is a direct management contact. Great pay rate. Loved the fact you make your own schedule
Work on your own schedule. Very helpful
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 12, 2018
At handy I was able to work when I wanted to work which is perfect for me being that I had another job at the same time. Handy allowed me to make extra money to support myself and my family. Working for handy I met new people, learned how to use new cleaning products And got paid everyday.
Pros
Work when you want
Cons
No benefits
Creat my own schedule.
House Keeping (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYSeptember 10, 2018
I like working for Handy. Handy is great for someone who wants to make their owe schedule. It has allowed me to work on other areas in my life. The hours are flexible and the clients are great.
HANDY is not the best employer
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 8, 2018
My time at HANDY was good until I realized that not having a supervisor that I could communicate with directly was unfair. At the end of my employment here I was very upset that I could not voice my feelings to the company concerning customers I served.
Pros
Plenty of freedom, and independence.
Cons
There was no support from the company, no benefits either.
Productive workers and a positive work environment
General Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 8, 2018
This was a great working experience for me I would just like something more consistent

The workers are very pleasant

Management are very clear on what they want done
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
On call type of work schedul
Quick money, you can work when you want but overall the job needs improvement
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 7, 2018
Quick Money
Work when you want
Cancellation fees are to high
Company doesn't support their employees
Handy's rating system needs improvement
Hard to get in contact with company
Tips are horrible
A lot of work and little pay
Pros
Quick money and you can work when you want
Cons
Company doesn't not support their employee, tips are not good, a lot of work and little pay
Too many cancellations
INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 4, 2018
Not a job to pay bills your schedule changes daily you can’t make decent money and the bookings are very low we as contractors get charged a cancel fee while the customers cancel same day and we only get partial pay it’s hard to move up the ladder to receive more money and our rating goes down no matter how much we work or how good we are
Pros
Make own schedule
Cons
No guarantee to make money
no benefits
Cleaning Professional (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 16, 2018
i wouldn't recommend this job to no one the clients are rude for one most of them won't get out of your way for you to properly clean and some of them are just straight nasty
Pros
work when you want
Cons
rude clients
This place is Horrible! Beware..
Contractor (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaAugust 12, 2018
This is the only place I have worked for that you can not contact anyone by a phone call, everything is done by e-mail. The sad thing about this they never respond back in a timely manner, so this makes the customer very unhappy and who suffers? You do! by getting a negative review.

What really is upsetting, you may have to drive 90 plus miles for a $30.00 job, its not worth it.
Happy
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 11, 2018
Handy was a job a friend told me about I can make my own hours I can’t stop working when I want I can’t take the job any and everywhere I go. I love that I can’t start and stop when ever I won’t and they also let us keep in touch with the clients.
House keeping
Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYAugust 6, 2018
My job was to pick the key up from the door man clean the customer home everyroom that was requested also mange to be in the apt alone with pets I love handy so wonderful job
Pros
Was to be on time
Cons
Great healthcare
Very fun place to be
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Pompano Beach, FLAugust 4, 2018
It was a very enjoyable place to be and the children created a fun atmosphere. I will say that the work was a bit difficult (having to clean after the children, transporting carts across the campus, and lifting things at least 2-3 times my weight) it was still an amazing job.
Horrendous
Worker (Current Employee) –  New York nyJuly 27, 2018
Avoid like the plague! Legalized slavery that runs workers into the ground and penalizing them while corpoerate executives just sit there and make profits. Sick and immoral.
Cons
Horrible place to work for!!! Don’t do it!!!
Handy Person (Current Employee) –  Austin TexasJuly 13, 2018
- you cannot speak to anyone regarding anything.... everything is done via email
- the app doesn’t work well at at all
- they fine the employee for everything
- pay only covers hourly wage not gas and supplies
- people are rude!! And expect you to do more than what they originally requested
- they hold your pay without reason or notification
- LAST MINUTE cancellations are typical. About 75% of my bookings got cancelled last minute and I have a 5 star rating!!!
- difficult to book multiple cleans in a week with them unless you want to work weekends and weekend nights
Pros
You get to make your own schedule
Cons
see review.. too much to write here
Fast money but have to learn how to not let them play you
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 10, 2018
Handy is that business boss taking a large cut out of your hard earned cash chargers you for everything even cancellations and they just collect without doing anything. You use there name to find people in need of there apartment or house being clean. So you pay because people go through a LLC company instead of an unknown person. You can not take a customer that only wants to deal with you without Handy being the middle man
Horrible stay away!
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 5, 2018
Underpaid! Have to pay a $20 for a background check as well as pay for your own cleaning supplies. No benefits at all! Only good thing is you get to make your own schedule, and you get to meet some really nice people. That’s about it with this company. Customers are paying up to $300 and we’re getting paid $30-80 per gig sounds like slavery?! Because it is.
Pros
Making your own schedule
Cons
Underpaid
Productive and fun work place.
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 4, 2018
Handy was a great job for a part timer , hours were flexible , jobs were very smooth , tips were very good, clients are very polite , areas were not bad , you can check out early if your job was done
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Very great tips
Good if you need quick money.
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 4, 2018
So working with handy you’re basically an independent contractor. When it comes to taxes, they don’t deducte from your checks so you have to separate tax money yourself and use a 1099 to pay the taxes back for those who don’t know what independent contractors are. We are responsible for our own bag or they can keep your first few jobs if you’re opting for the handy cleaning bag. The bag contains a swifter, some rags, an apron, stickers you can put on tissue which they show you how to do in orientation, a vacuum, and method supplies. I think that bag was $150, but most clients already have cleaning supplies and mops and brooms etc. I didn’t grab the bag but I always carried a book bag filled with cleaning supplies I got on sale as well as bounty and wipes.

Management was basically not there. If you cancel a job within either 24 or 36 hours you get charged $15 (they take it from your next job) I’ve had clients cancel on me 5 minutes before the job started and it was impossible to reach someone. There was also another client who had an empty house that needed to be cleaned and he was just watching me the whole time. I was very uncomfortable and I had to leave early. He gave me a one star review which was unfair because I politely told him that I worked better not being supervised so closely and he didn’t listen to me. Again I couldn’t contact anyone.
Pros
Some people leave generous tips.
Cons
As you’re making about $30 for two hours, handy is making about 70% more than that.
Na
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 4, 2018
It was okay because I made my own schedule ,work on time , nice employees , good safety guidance , good environment, no smoking trustworthy people around
Crooks
Handy pro (Former Employee) –  MichiganJune 29, 2018
I have done one job for this company. 4 hours to assemble a shed. Got $80 - $20 for background check. At first I thought $80 even $60 is fair, luckily for me gas was not a factor as the job sight was only 3 miles from my home, but when i found out what the customer paid, i was appalled. $243, yes $243 freaking dollars. These scumbags are making nearly 70% and got the nerves to charge us for a background check and then want to charge you if you cancel. Yes, you can definitely make decent money but once you know how much they make, how can you work for a company thats basically raping you. I also work with other gig platforms and none of them take over 35%.
Pros
None, stay away
Cons
Everything, complete ripoff

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Handy. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

2.1Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight