Handy Employee Reviews

Active Fast Paste Work Environment
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 14, 2019
I enjoyed for this company.House keeping is something i enjoy doing and is very relaxing .Some homes are easy to clean some are not. Just be sure to do a good professional job so that you including the customer will be satisfied with cleaning you have completed.
Pros
Your your own boss, Tips.
working for handy was good
Independant Contractor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 14, 2019
at my time at working for handy I've learned to be punctual and how to exercise my communications skills .. the only thing i had a problem with is that if i occurred a problem i wasn't able to get in touch with any supervisor ..
Pros
good pay get to see the city
BAD company to work for
Handy pro (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 14, 2019
Work as a Handy pro is slim to none and when it comes it's mostly annoying furniture assembly jobs. They only give you a hour or two for jobs that take 4 or more hours which you MAY get paid extra for but you have to ask the client to add the time which is annoying and unprofessional. If your client isn't there or can't help your SOL. Handy still owes me almost $400 in jobs I did in December. I did have a issue with one and my rating fell (people love to rate you down for silly stuff) but they still gave me jobs that I accepted. I assume that is why I haven't been paid but if that is they case why let me do jobs? well they are dishonest and wanted free work! No one has gotten back to me on their end after repeated attempts. You have been warned!
Pros
flexibility, pay per hour
Cons
dishonest, lame work, hard to communicate with anyone
Fast pace under paid
Housekeeper, Maid (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 30, 2018
Handy decreased their pray from $15.00 down to $14.00 per hour.
Excessive cancellations from clients and can't depend on paying your bills. If a client is a no show, you can not claim another job until after the ending time of the job is up.
Pros
Work your own schedule
Cons
Too many clients cancellations
If you need money and have a unpredictable schedule this is the perfect job
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 17, 2018
In the beginning the job was great but if my schedule was full i would start to see cancellation and would only have 3 jobs each 2-3 hours each. Very upsetting counting on money the to realize jobs are cancelled.
Pros
Having the advantage to pick ur schedule
Cons
To many unexpected job cancellations
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 11, 2018
Very easy money if you your on top of picking up jobs . customers tip good if you clean above and beyond. Sometimes apartments can be really dirty to the point where you wouldnt even want to clean.
Its a cut throat... watch out people pleaseee.. these companies are killing american workforce
Handyman (Former Employee) –  Long Island, NYDecember 10, 2018
The company give you a job for 70.00 but the company charges 400.00 to the client. Something doesn't add up.. they say you can have customer add time if it takes more time for you to complete.. which customer has no clue about.. I dont write reviews but this is my first... this sucks..
Pros
Keep yourself busy with stupid 1000 piece Furniture..
Cons
Its a cut throat business
Avoid like the PLAGUE
Handyman Services (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 7, 2018
Want to spend an hour unpacking a pressboard Wayfair furniture kit with 60 unlabeled/un numbered parts? That you then need to assemble with poor/illegible/inaccurate instructions? In the time allowed by Handy? (Which is typically 50% of the time you NEED?)

Enjoy working with some of the cheapest, poorly manufactured "furniture" out there? Stuff that falls apart and rips fittings out while being "built"?

Want to be "fined" $50 if you cancel a job, but paid $15 if the customer does?

Like being paid 1/3 of the fee Handy bills the customer, while doing ALL the physical work?
(Look on Wayfair.com and see Handy's charges. They charge $200, you may get $37.50)

Want to "claim" a job in your neighborhood only to find out it's a 40+ mile round trip? Then be fined if you cancel once you know the REAL location?
No. No travel allowance.

Enjoy NEVER getting to speak with anyone when you have Q's or need help? Relax. Handy will email you in a day or two.

NO. There is NO phone #.
HANDY's time is valuable; YOU can wait.

Like arbitrary deductions/fines taken from your "pay"?

Like having a single customer complaint take you OFF the platform with NO access to job records, pay history and money owed you?

Relax. Handy says the check is in the mail

Then sign up and go to "work". I assume you're desperate; otherwise, Walmart is a better choice...or McDonalds...or anything

Seriously? A Nightmare. Run.
Pros
Lots of free time when customers cancel.
Cons
Work with incredibly crummy "furniture"
Very organized and independent service.
House Keeping (Current Employee) –  Washington, D.C., USDecember 4, 2018
My typical day of work would consist of going to customer's houses and cleaning. A bit of traveling is required for this job but its okay because the pay is good. The management is great because you work through an app independently, so as long as you arrive on time and prompt ready to work there's no hard part about this job or management. I really enjoy being able to schedule to work whenever i want because that gives me time to also plan accordingly for my daily lifestyle as well.
Handy
Home Cleaner (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTDecember 1, 2018
• Completely organize, clean and sanitize kitchens.
• Straighten, clean and restock bathrooms.
• Sweep, vacuum, mop, or buff all flooring.
• Deep clean problem areas in each home.
It was enjoyable. Clients were always nice.
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 30, 2018
Handy was good for me. I really enjoyed working with HANDY. I was let go because my mom sick and I was her care giver. It took a lot out of me. Anyway, working for Handy was great.
Pros
You got to pick your own working hours.
Cons
No health benefits
Terrible place to work
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 25, 2018
Disrespectful company! They take the money that the clients pay us to clean their homes. They charge us for cancellations. We provide everything. We pay for parking.
Cons
Someone created an app and is taking advantage of people who need work
Maid/Housekeeping Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 24, 2018
You do all the work and the company takes home more than 70% of the payment for the job. You pay for your own travel expenses, cleaning supply, and cell phone, and in return Handy lets you have $15/hr to scrub people's filth.
Perfect job for a stay at home mom
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 20, 2018
I love everything about Handy. You make your own schedule you. You can do 1 job a day or 4 jobs it’s up to you. The uniform is just a shirt so you can dress comfortably.
Pros
You make your own schedule
Cons
The traveling with out a car.
Decent Job
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 19, 2018
Handy was a great company to work. The schedule was at your personal convenience and the people were friendly. Handy was also a great networking opportunity.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Sometimes people could cancel on you
Worst fees and compensation of any on-demand handy work
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 13, 2018
Nothing but headaches with this company. They underpay contractors and overcharge customers. They send you to the wrong address or incorrectly report what the job is about--then they charge YOU fees when the work can't be performed properly or you can't locate the address. Their support in the field is horrible. The responses you do get from the company are all biased towards the company--by far the worst on-demand company I have worked for. If you want to work for peanuts; sit around waiting for their under paying jobs and suffer through their maze of frustrating 'help' (support) while doing a job--this is your company.
Pros
The app is o.k.
Cons
Everything is a con--fees, support, jobs
Pay is terrible
Handyman Services (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 10, 2018
I would stay away from this company. They charge the customer over $350 to install a $3500 chandelier on a ceiling that's 22ft tall. They tell you to rent a scaffold which is $150 for 2hrs and to bring all materials and tools needed to complete the job. The pay for you is $80 when you complete the job. They want you to come out of pocket to do their jobs when they keep over 70% of what the customer pays. When you want to delete your profile and account they dont let you. Their policy is just to put your account on pause so all your personal information stays in their database forever. My advice is stay away
Pros
Cons
Everything about the company
Good
Professional Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 6, 2018
Handy is a professional cleaning company that allows app users to schedule their own jobs using their platform and be paid in advance. I like the ability to make my own schedule.
Awesome place !
House Cleaner (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 6, 2018
You get to set your own schedule , your customers are understandable if your running late & they give you free stuff sometimes … the best part of the job is seeing before and after results
Pros
Your abut to do what you want all day and have no one down your back
Cons
They charge for cancelations
Perfect schedule
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 25, 2018
I enjoyed working for handy. Application was a bit frustrating and trying to talk to a live person when u had problems. Enjoyed the fact that your customers could rate you. And your pay could always go up. Started at 14.00 and ended at 16.00.
Pros
Scheduling your self
Cons
No customer service no management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Handy. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

2.4Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight