Handy Employee Reviews

Not fun
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 18, 2018
Not fun at all never again no benefits no nothing independent contractor some people lie on how many bedrooms they have. Never again working at handy.
Don't waste your time
House Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 13, 2018
They claim you are an independent contractor. Well if that's the case, we cleaners should receive all the money a customer is paying for a cleaning. Charge for a background check and also charge fees if you cancel a job within 48hrs. Have to buy and bring your own supplies. Some jobs are downtown or other busy areas that do not have free parking so if you drive you have to pay the meter or risk getting a ticket. Some houses are filthy and paid little for all the work needed to be done. Have to make sure your availability is up to date (say you're not available if you don't want to do Handy for a while) because even if you delete the Handy app, customers can still find you and book you for a cleaning (which you will get charged for if you cancel it). They are only available to reach online. They now have an option to do a Daily Cash Out which charges you $3 to get your money only a couple days sooner than normal. They act like they're OUR boss. Cleaners should be able to get their money as soon as the job is done, not wait a week. I only did it to make some money on the side but what good is it when you have to wait almost a week to get paid and get charged fees if you want to cancel a job? DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME. START YOUR OWN CLEANING BUSINESS and cut out these apps like Handy and Thumbtack that charge for clientele
Pros
Customers were nice and understanding
Cons
Every job is flat rate no matter how messy or big the homes are, Pay out of pocket for parking in certain areas, Charge fees for cancelling a job, Have to wait to get paid, Have to buy and use your own supplies most of the time
Do not support or work for this company!
Pro Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 29, 2018
I started cleaning houses on the side when I was in high school along with other random jobs I did such as house and pet sitting. 10 years later, I have been working on the handy app for 3 years now and I absolutely hate it but I am so poor, being a full time student, that I have to have a secondary 3rd or 4th income option at pretty much all times. When I started it was $15 an hour which was barely acceptable considering you are an independent contractor and pay self-employment taxes at the end of the year, have to have insurance in case you break something which runs $40 a month, have to have all of your own supplies, and your own transportation. In the beginning years I would obviously try to meet people and get them off of the app the only way you can make money in this industry as a solo is setting flat rates and getting good tips. I can detail clean a 3-bedroom 2-bathroom house in a couple of hours. On the app I would only be getting paid $26 for this when the market rate for this in my city is at least $70. I go from using this app frequently to not using it for months at a time. When I start working different hours or if I move I lose clients so I get back on the app for more income. Over a year ago I logged on one day and the pay had randomly been cut by $2 apparently nationwide from $15 an hour to 13 which is completely unacceptable. The rating system is completely asinine. People refuse to communicate with you to your face while you're still at their house and will leave comments later on. Or the majority have complaints about the app ( they cancelled but somebody  more... was still scheduled to show up, their favorite person didn't show up, etc) and take it out on your rating. If your rating drops too low you are terminated so to have your job constantly depending on the opinions of others who are judging you from a very disconnected point of view. I noticed that in the last year customers are expecting a lot more for a lot less money and have stop tipping as well. This is the completely unacceptable part of the industry. Housecleaning is extremely difficult it is hard labor. I am very detailed and I've constantly move and work my butt off to make sure that your house is sanitary and clean and hair free by the time I leave. Treat your house cleaners, pool boys, landscapers and all the other people in the service industry that work hard for you, with the respect they have earned and compensate them for their time and energy. I understand there are a lot of terrible house cleaners on this app who are taking advantage of the lack of face2face management but I believe there are a few really good people who deserve to be paid in full for the job and not middlemaned and by this Corporation. Employ those people outside of the app and stop using this. And don't work for them. They take advantage of you with fees and you have no way actually communicating with someone. There are no phone numbers you can only email and that email is sent to a different person every time you respond. The cleaners have background checks ran but the clients do not so every house that I'm going into could be an extremely dangerous situation. I could write a book on the problems with this company. Just stay away.  less
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Pay, safety, comunication
great place to work for that allows you to make your on schedule
Residential Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 9, 2018
started with the company when it was called handybook had a great team lots or perks however the company changed to less in person and more online the family feel of it wasn't there anymore however great for a person needing an open schedule needing flexibility
Pros
open schedule work when and how much you want
Cons
no benefits and help only online
we worked on the streets
Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Washington DCMarch 9, 2018
this was when the company was just starting in this area and i was apart of the street team......we basically have out and informed the public about the company and what it does
Horrible system with people who dont know you or know how to operate
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYMarch 8, 2018
this system is so out of wack, you make your own schedule which is not a bad thing. Customers mke fake claims and instead of them following up they fire you
Pros
select your own hours
Cons
customer service with the company is poor
independent contractor from Baltimore, MD
Handy pro cleaner (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 28, 2018
Do not work for this company unless you have a strong stomach or you are not allergic to animal hair. I've been with the company for over 2 years now and when I first started you could earn up to $22 per hour. Now the flat rate is only at $15 per hour. You're charging the customers at least $30 per hour and paying us only $15. For $15 an hour, I really don't think it's fair that we do all the work, buy our own cleaning supplies, use our own vehicles, and sometimes pay for paying and tolls. I have come in contact with the filthiest homes you can find and the customers expect for you to clean a whole house in just 2-3 hours and if you don't complete all their requests some of them give you a bad rating. The only thing I like about this company is you come in contact with some nice people that give you tips.
Pros
Customers give you tips
Cons
low pay
housekeeping
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 26, 2018
i went to people homes and clean so there is not much to say about that i had maybe two jobs a day depends on what they wanted clean and how many hours they booked me for
Active Job
Professional House Cleaner (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 22, 2018
Very active job. Your a fulltime cleaner, the job is an app so Im my own boss. Makes it possible to make your own schedule and interact with new clients daily
Handy is an out-of-touch App-based service that will lie to you and gouge you for fees.
Handyman (Current Employee) –  South Florida, FLFebruary 19, 2018
I work for Handy as a handyman doing mostly assembly jobs for Wayfair products. I’ve had three months worth of work with them, and all I can say about them is that they are not very honest. They tell you that customers choose you. That is a lie. They haphazardly schedule you over a ridiculously large area and then blame it on Wayfair and their customers. No communication. Ridiculous fees. They don’t pay you quickly even when you pay them to do so. They extort an extra weekly amount in order for you to be “Premium” and if you don’t pay it you get less jobs and they take their time to pay you. My gasoline expense is so large that I barely make minimum wage, and I have decades of experience in cabinetry and assembly. They pull bait-and-switch with higher paying jobs to get you to go long distances for the lesser paying ones. Then they cancel the higher paying ones and leave you with the others. I regularly travel hundreds of miles a day to do their jobs. I have to cancel some at my expense. Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere. In the long run they are not worth it.
Pros
The people that actually DO the work. WE’RE the PROS!
Cons
Dishonesty. Low pay. Little communication. Little consideration for you as a contractor.
I worked independantly as a cleaner
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Oxon Hill, MDFebruary 16, 2018
I was responsible for making sure customers homes were cleaned in a timely fashion. I was contacted on several assignments to which I received tips for my great work.
Flexible
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 9, 2018
I would still be with Handy because if its flexibility but not enough room for growth. I do not understand why I am obligated to answer. I am not interested in taking part in the suit against Handy. I enjoyed my time as an independent contractor for Handy.
Pros
Work when you desire
Don't Waist Your Time
Cleaning Crew (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 5, 2018
I have been working for this company for 2 weeks. This place is absolutely ridiculous. They have ridiculous amount of fees for no apparent reason. There's a $10 late fee, $10 cancellation fee if you cancel 48 hours or less in advance. $50 fee if you cancel the day of cleaning. $50 fee for no show. A lot of times customers cancel last minute while you're in route. Customers cancel the day before or the day of. Customers sometimes are not home. I bring my own supplies not including a vacuum or toilet brush. Customers often complain because I do not have an entire cleaning supplies like other cleaners. I feel you should have your own toilet brush or vacuum I shouldn't have to use mine. You can work really hard and clean these really filthy homes and do a good job and customers will still give you a bad rating. Customers can boom through your profile which is good and bad thing. I had an incident where a customer booked me to come clean his place but I already had other obligations nor was I aware this customer booked me an few hours before start time. I was marked a no show and was charged $50.
Pros
Work your own hours
Cons
Do not work here! Avoid like the plague
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 5, 2018
Scams. 1) Referal bonus = scam. Impossible for a referal to get 5 jobs in a week, so you refer a friend, and get no money, ever. 2) They will charge you late fees. $30 job, $15 late fee, for being 5 minutes late, even though you finished 1 hour early. IT's based on "customer complaints" but they make the customer review you, so you get docked even if customer is happy. 3) If you set your availability, one person can book 40 miles north of you, followed by another person booking 40 miles south of you, making your hourly wages about $4.00/hour after gas and drive time. And don't be late, or they'll dock you. 4) Customer service is emails outsourced to India. They rarely read even the simplest of questions. I once asked if I could limit the distance people can book into my schedule because a $30 booking is not worth a 40 mile drive....three emails later, they still didn't answer my question, and i eventually just gave up.

I've done about 20 jobs with them in about 6 months, and have had to complain about 6 + times.
House Keeper (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 2, 2018
The workers where mostly clean other people homes so we never had to go to the office. This was a good company and I really grew as a worker here. The only thing I really did not like is that we did not have any benefits.
Pros
Hour lunch
Cons
No benefits
Worst gig platform
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 30, 2018
I worked at Hardy close to a year believing things would get better. It just got worst unfair fee charges Customers lie to get free service redo and was usually a week later after the first cleaning. You can not finish some jobs in the time allotted because the homes are disgusting dirty. You end up working longer hours getting less pay hourly. Some customers stare at you while you work making you uncomfortable You can not turn down jobs because Handy will penalize you so are not independent contractor you are an employee.
Pros
Its a job
Cons
loved the friendly ness and productiveness
Handy Worker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 29, 2018
Overall I’ll give working for handy two thumbs up i could count on them to give accurate directions to the locations always in a good manner i recommend anyone who loves to make easy cash with excellent service to handy pro!
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
Bi- weekly
Never work here ever
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 18, 2018
Worst company to work for in the entire universe. And that is NOT being dramatic. They cut my pay by two dollars out of nowhere and said that everyone got cut with NO NOTICE.

Then they started the platform where if you pay more, you can have more clients. Then they started CHARGING me for things that were completely crazy. WORST COMPANY EVER DO NOT WORK HERE.
Not for the faint of heart
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 16, 2018
This job should only be done by someone with a vehicle and no social life. Pay is based on amount of hours worked as well as customer satisfaction, and the hours required to get bonuses seemed to be ever increasing.

On top of that, I was given this job when they knew I had no vehicle to get to the clients' homes. (They assured me this wouldn't be a problem as I could select my own jobs and therefore choose ones close to home ... which was nearly impossible as most of the jobs available were far away.) The resulting stress from dragging the required equipment (that they made me pay for out of pocket) from bus stops to the assigned jobs caused me to have increasingly painful back problems. This eventually led to my resignation from the job and the company refused to help in any way with medical treatment or compensation for the time I was unable to work due to the injury.
Pros
They do pay you.
Cons
Everything else.
Can be weird at times
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJanuary 13, 2018
A typical day at work could be either completely silent if you are alone, fun if the person or people whose house you are cleaning are willing to talk to you normally, , or really weird if the people just stare at you while you work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Handy. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

2.2Fairygodboss Score

25%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

25%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss