Handy Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
House keeping
Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYAugust 6, 2018
My job was to pick the key up from the door man clean the customer home everyroom that was requested also mange to be in the apt alone with pets I love handy so wonderful job
Pros
Was to be on time
Cons
Great healthcare
Very fun place to be
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Pompano Beach, FLAugust 4, 2018
It was a very enjoyable place to be and the children created a fun atmosphere. I will say that the work was a bit difficult (having to clean after the children, transporting carts across the campus, and lifting things at least 2-3 times my weight) it was still an amazing job.
Horrendous
Worker (Current Employee) –  New York nyJuly 27, 2018
Avoid like the plague! Legalized slavery that runs workers into the ground and penalizing them while corpoerate executives just sit there and make profits. Sick and immoral.
Cons
Horrible place to work for!!! Don’t do it!!!
Handy Person (Current Employee) –  Austin TexasJuly 13, 2018
- you cannot speak to anyone regarding anything.... everything is done via email
- the app doesn’t work well at at all
- they fine the employee for everything
- pay only covers hourly wage not gas and supplies
- people are rude!! And expect you to do more than what they originally requested
- they hold your pay without reason or notification
- LAST MINUTE cancellations are typical. About 75% of my bookings got cancelled last minute and I have a 5 star rating!!!
- difficult to book multiple cleans in a week with them unless you want to work weekends and weekend nights
Pros
You get to make your own schedule
Cons
see review.. too much to write here
Fast money but have to learn how to not let them play you
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 10, 2018
Handy is that business boss taking a large cut out of your hard earned cash chargers you for everything even cancellations and they just collect without doing anything. You use there name to find people in need of there apartment or house being clean. So you pay because people go through a LLC company instead of an unknown person. You can not take a customer that only wants to deal with you without Handy being the middle man
Horrible stay away!
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 5, 2018
Underpaid! Have to pay a $20 for a background check as well as pay for your own cleaning supplies. No benefits at all! Only good thing is you get to make your own schedule, and you get to meet some really nice people. That’s about it with this company. Customers are paying up to $300 and we’re getting paid $30-80 per gig sounds like slavery?! Because it is.
Pros
Making your own schedule
Cons
Underpaid
Productive and fun work place.
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 4, 2018
Handy was a great job for a part timer , hours were flexible , jobs were very smooth , tips were very good, clients are very polite , areas were not bad , you can check out early if your job was done
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Very great tips
Good if you need quick money.
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 4, 2018
So working with handy you’re basically an independent contractor. When it comes to taxes, they don’t deducte from your checks so you have to separate tax money yourself and use a 1099 to pay the taxes back for those who don’t know what independent contractors are. We are responsible for our own bag or they can keep your first few jobs if you’re opting for the handy cleaning bag. The bag contains a swifter, some rags, an apron, stickers you can put on tissue which they show you how to do in orientation, a vacuum, and method supplies. I think that bag was $150, but most clients already have cleaning supplies and mops and brooms etc. I didn’t grab the bag but I always carried a book bag filled with cleaning supplies I got on sale as well as bounty and wipes.

Management was basically not there. If you cancel a job within either 24 or 36 hours you get charged $15 (they take it from your next job) I’ve had clients cancel on me 5 minutes before the job started and it was impossible to reach someone. There was also another client who had an empty house that needed to be cleaned and he was just watching me the whole time. I was very uncomfortable and I had to leave early. He gave me a one star review which was unfair because I politely told him that I worked better not being supervised so closely and he didn’t listen to me. Again I couldn’t contact anyone.
Pros
Some people leave generous tips.
Cons
As you’re making about $30 for two hours, handy is making about 70% more than that.
Na
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 4, 2018
It was okay because I made my own schedule ,work on time , nice employees , good safety guidance , good environment, no smoking trustworthy people around
Crooks
Handy pro (Former Employee) –  MichiganJune 29, 2018
I have done one job for this company. 4 hours to assemble a shed. Got $80 - $20 for background check. At first I thought $80 even $60 is fair, luckily for me gas was not a factor as the job sight was only 3 miles from my home, but when i found out what the customer paid, i was appalled. $243, yes $243 freaking dollars. These scumbags are making nearly 70% and got the nerves to charge us for a background check and then want to charge you if you cancel. Yes, you can definitely make decent money but once you know how much they make, how can you work for a company thats basically raping you. I also work with other gig platforms and none of them take over 35%.
Pros
None, stay away
Cons
Everything, complete ripoff
Fun nice people great tips
Cleaner/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJune 20, 2018
Working for handy is fun fast paste great pay and tip nice clients good hours u have to provide your own cleaning products which is fine they also had jobs in all boroughs
Pros
Flexable
Cons
Not have consitant jobs
No Communication
PROFESSIONAL SERVICE TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 18, 2018
On a few occasions misunderstandings between myself and the client came up. For example change of meeting time, cancellations, or extra time needed to finish job. It was difficult to contact the office when this happened.
Terrible company to work for unless there is no place else that wants your services
Home Cleaner (Current Employee) –  New York, NY 10159May 26, 2018
If you work here do not take on to many jobs there are also instances in where you can get wrongfully charged after working hard all day and even accused by clients of not performing duties so that they can get a free cleaning.
Pros
You may get paid for a job that you didn't perform.
Cons
You may meet cool clients, who share your dislike for handy, unethical practices, and they may tip you big
Not enough money for me.
Assistant Manager/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Lehigh Acres, FLMay 25, 2018
Handy is a place where teenager's should work its not enough hours and the pay is not good at all. But I love working with people's and my customers are great.
Treat people really unfair
House Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 20, 2018
They are real messed up.I worked for them and never had any complaints or bad ratings.I had a small stroke or tia which kept me from working for a few weeks.I spoke with them about it and they agreed to let me have a few weeks and then let me pick up jobs again.Well my first day back and my first job was 6 hours.I completed it with no complaints and a satisfied customer.I left and mins later I try checking my schedule and no jobs pop up.Everything was gone.I called them because at one point you could call and asked why my jobs were gone.I was told I was no longer able to take jobs due to a bad rating.Wait huh??How I hadn't worked in a few weeks and I never had a bad rating or complaint before.Something didn't seem right.I called back later and spoke to someone else and she told me she looked further into it and doesn't see any complaints or bad ratings anywhere and doesn't get why they took my jobs away.So whatever with them.Lesson learned NEVER deal with Handy or recommend them to ANYONE.
Cons
Being a slave is not an option
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 17, 2018
For some reason in claim jobs pops on my schedule with no hours set, then they charge you for it if you don't do it and its nothing you can do or say about it, jobs they can't fill, watch out people no one wants to work for free, they support slavery
Pros
Non
Cons
Rip off
Positive work place
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 6, 2018
Handys is a place to work, i mean you get to meet different people with different cultures,everyone makes you feel welcomes also positive work place .
Pros
meet different cultures, get many experiences as cleaners, explore different parts of NYC as cleaners
Na
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 1, 2018
I have no complaints it was a very good company to work for the boss was very great and respectful and my coworkers were great over all I have no complaints.
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAApril 19, 2018
Need better communication with employees , great making your own schedule, sometimes their a problems the customer have that the worker isn’t able to help with
Pros
Work when you want
Cons
Poor communication
Not fun
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 18, 2018
Not fun at all never again no benefits no nothing independent contractor some people lie on how many bedrooms they have. Never again working at handy.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Handy. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

2.1Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight