Hank's Fine Furniture

Hank's Fine Furniture Employee Reviews

United States72 reviews

salecustomerstoreofficemanagermoneytrainingcustom

Mismanaged and Heading Downhill

Don't waste your time at Hank's. I got lucky and was hired on at a store that had a fun and supportive work environment, but the longer I was employed, the more I realized that my store was the exception. Most of the store managers have no experience outside of sales and are therefore unqualified to lead a team. The owner of the company has a strong preference for male employees. Everyone is overworked, and everyone except salesmen and corporate higher-ups is underpaid. The company is growing, but I don't see them sticking around for much longer with the amount of corruption and lack of structure.

Pros

monthly bonus opportunity

Cons

long hours, pitiful compensation/benefits, lack of professionalism, abundant discrimination, lack of job security

Some locations are better than others

Its tough. Management depends on the store. some are out to make money for them. Some managers will actually try to help you succeed. You have to push yourself to learn and make your self better to be a better salesperson. pay is fair and very clear.

Pros

fair pay, clear compensation, good benefits, and flexibility

Cons

long hours, management, and training is lacking

Hank's Fine Furniture insights

Areas for improvement
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

The people are great to be around. Schedule can be a little much but you can make good money. Just like with any sales job you have to try to be the one who actually gets the sale so if they come in later and don’t ask for you. You know

Very cut throat, hostile, backstabbing enxiorment

You basically work at least 50 hours a week, minimum. You do not get a lunch not get a lunch break, shoveling your food in in between customers. You work straight commission, you have a draw but you have to beat that draw or you'll get fired. That would be great your furniture was available the furniture is always back ordered I have 32 stores and you're pulling out of one Warehouse, and you have to pretty much have to be a logistics major major to find out what container you have coming in from China. You can have a big order a whole house full of stuff, and it comes in one stick at a time and you wind up with mad customers. Management, other sales people, are nothing but cutthroat, backspace. Commission thing would be great if you could get your furniture. Somebody's always getting fired somebody's always getting hired, and you're always being reminded your jobs on the line. What meeting and he's with join our team help wanted diesel was placed in front of all of us letting us know that every day to be our last day. Not a healthy working environment at all.

Good work environment.

Good place to work and grow a career in sales. Training and helpful staff. Flexible shifts and days off during the week. Great company training and good customer traffic.

It has a pretty cool environment.

Learned sales tactics while learning logistics as a warehouse manager. Felt that the team was actually tying to support me as a college student and understood my struggles.

Lack of respect employees

I was employed at hanks for 5 years, during the time I worked at all levels of employment including management. They do not value the hard work, or time put in by their employees only the dollars. Any employee perks or benefits are not given until you have been with the company for years and they are basic at best. The turnover rate of employees is one of the highest I have ever seen due to a high level of burnout. Disrespectful and uncaring for the people who make all the money for the company.

Put into a position with zero training.

I was put into a position with zero training and then was scolded when expectations I didn’t know existed weren’t met. If you care about work life balance you need to run in the opposite direction! Lots of nights of working until 7pm some nights. Management wouldn’t call back disgruntled customers and then yell at us when those same customers leaving bad reviews citing lack of communication. Management treated hourly employees like trash and scared employees into not speaking up about what was going on. This is a company ran like a high school clique and you will find out quickly if you’re not wanted here.

Cons

no lunch break, long hours

The friends I made.

The work was repetitive and extremely easy for me. I asked management to give me additional work and challenges, but unfortunately that never happened.

Not one good thing about them.

Horrible place to work for. Very dishonest an just comes to a point your tired of having to lie to your customers bc your bosses lied to you about the arrival times of furniture for your customer. Your own manager will take sells from you.

Pros

No pros

Cons

To long to list. Just look at their reviews

0/10 wouldnt recommend

After working at this company for about half a decade, I have learned that if you enjoy being: 1. Consistently talked down to by management daily and2. Want to be fully committed to one thing in your life and be under paid for it.Then this is the job for you! This company focuses most of their efforts on commission. Therefore, if you are an hourly worker (ie. warehouse, office) you will be drastically underpaid for the work you do and you are the bottom of the totem pole. Doesnt matter if you have a manager title. If you are hourly, they DO. NOT. CARE.Store management is hard to work with and they don't know how to lead without placing fear in their employees. Because of that, simple day-to-day tasks seem more difficult, and creates a very negative working environment. Don't even bother to make an anonymous complaint with the home office, because they don't handle the issue, they call your store manager and make them handle it. This applies to everything that gets reported to home office. The company also feels like everyone is replaceable. They don't care how much experience you have, if you breathe the wrong way and someone above you doesn't like it, you're gone. No conversation with you about it, pretty much like zero tolerance, but based of off opinions and hear say. Also, if you are worried about COVID there is A LOT going on there. But in 2020, when we stayed open and were in the thick of it, you could barely get home office to listen to you about what supplies were needed. We weren't prepared to stay open, but yet we did. Working here made me constantly -

Pros

Pizza parties when morale was low

Cons

Everything else they have to offer

Worst management ever. They are bullies! If you disagree with something they will stab you in the back and push you out so they aren’t the one firing

Pros

Cons

The entire job

Great company with great incentives

Every store is different. The manager in the store can change the entire vibe of the store. If you get a good manager it can be a wonderful career. Compensation for sales/management is among the best in the business. Benefits are great. The owner is constantly trying to better the company and is great about listening to management and employees. Great company for driven individuals. The stores I have worked in have always had a family vibe and we had fun at work.

Pros

Compensation, Benefits, Atmosphere

Cons

A lot to learn, Hours can be tough

Bad Business all the way through

Worked with Hanks for a while, they don’t care how much effort you put forward. You mean nothing to this company. Run away fast. They will ask the world of you and even if you give it to them they push you down and lie about everything.

Pros

Sales people make money

Cons

They can’t be trusted at all

Backwards company. Redneck culture!

So many factors against you regarding getting your commissions. Your sales were often stolen by others. There was no fairness in how you were treated. Very low class company in many ways. No work life balance and often required to change your schedule without notice.

Pros

Employee discount

Cons

Culture, discipline, work life balance!

Depressingly stressful

Just know that if you work here, you are marrying it more or less. One day off here and there, never two in a row, and it gets old quickly. Glitchy software, confusing format and often not enough allotted time to complete a task without having to take a call.The people I worked with, including the managers, were kind to me and I do like them. I did feel like maybe I had found my place for a bit, however I learned quickly that I would have to pass the buck often, tell a customer that the person they needed is “out to lunch, but I can take a message.” There was a lot of dishonesty and it made me anxious to work every day because I tried to be more real with the customers than what I was seeing, I felt like every employee was forced to compete with one another and there was very little accountability and a lot of talk about “making it right”.Lastly, I feel like it’s the fault of the company for creating this environment. They leave employees no other choice but to be human shields and it’s sad. It’s not enough pay for how they are treated unless you’re hawking product.

Pros

Nice coworkers and managers usually willing to help if not slammed already, but it’s because everyone there experiences awful days together. I guess that’s a pro.

Cons

Weird scheduling, lots of blame shifting, lots of making it up as you to and praying for a resolution, also lots of placating customers until they’ve had enough and decide to cancel the order.

It was good

Really good establishment nothing really stood out to me really enjoyed the place but yeah over all people should really work there if they got the time

Bad!

Too many things to list, spare yourself and look elsewhere. This is definingly not a good place to work. I've worked at a few places that I didn't like but this is by far the worst!

Laid off a week after being hired

I was so excited to start this job. It's hard to find an entry level office job to get your foot in the door, and that's what this offered: career change.For the most part the people there were people there were great and I really liked the office managers coolheaded, ethical style of management. It was clear there was some friction and drama under the surface and some major issues that needed work but it didn't seem like it'd be as stressful a place to work as other jobs. In the week that I was there Hank sent 2 emails reassuring everyone their jobs were safe. The day I got laid off I never saw it coming. I'd even just bought myself some new personal office supplies just that morning. I got to work and before I knew it, it was lunch time. When I came back from lunch the office manager pulled me into the office without letting me clock in. When he gave me the news it was like someone had punched me in the gut. He was apologetic and told me that he didn't want to see me go but that these layoffs came down from Corporate. I was left with the belief that they'd love to rehire me when all this Covid stuff was over but I never heard from them again, even though I'd reapplied every time they repost the ad.I heard they nuked most of their office staff later, so I guess that was the end to that hopeful dream.In reality the company is awful (but employs some good people).

Hank’s only cares for it’s Salesman, everyone be Damned

From the moment I started to the moment I quit, it was clear that Hank’s only cared about one thing. The salesman. They require you to do a lot of work and deal with some very angry customers (which they have a lot of). They’re always having you lie to the customer and then turn around a tell that same customer that it was your fault that their furniture was broken or could not be delivered on time. There is a there guy who has been with the company for 11 years and is still only making $13 an hour. If your not a salesman making money, they could care less about you. It’s back breaking work for a company who would replace you in seconds.

Hanks could improve.

Hanks can be a great place to work for those who are single and have the willingness and opportunity to spend extra hours (coming in early) to take care of their customers. Training is spotty at best for sales. The sales system and computers are difficult to work with, and there is no IT help when systems go down. It was not unusual to hop from one computer to the next to find one that works, leaving the associate and the customer frustrated. The Team environment is good between sales staff and the warehouse, though within sales it is every person for themselves with the exception of a precious few who will lend a helping hand. The sales staff is almost completely male and single. I have worked retail before, in a much better environment.

Pros

Great compensation.

Cons

Training and Team building is low.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hank's Fine Furniture. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

1.2
InHerSight Score
1.1Personal Development
1.3Career Opportunities
1.2Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare Hank's Fine Furniture with

• Hank's Fine Furniture
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?