Hannaford
64Average

Hannaford Employee Reviews

United States2,199 reviews
Found 2,199 reviews matching the search
Not a long term job, the pay is just above poverty level. You would succeed if you still live with your parents, and do not pay rent. Or if you are married and your income is not considered the Main bread winner of the house hold. Or you have a child and your income is supplemented by the welfare system. Income is not enough to support the single person who depends on only their own income. government
Pros
Paid weekly
Cons
Spilt days off, mostly mid shifts 11 to 8, noon to 9.diffcult to have a second job or enjoy the rest of your day.
Good place to work for. Great people and a friendly atmosphere . They pay well and they work with you on issues u are having. I reccomend them to anyone
Pros
Good pay
Work is very enjoyable
Management in my store was unhelpful

The benefits are great

Associates are amazing

If you work hard the job is very enjoyable for anyone
I enjoyed my Career with Hannaford. Training opportunities helped me to excel in my roles. Opportunities to move were available to those interested.
This is a company that mostly hires part time employees and do not have a lot of room to receive more hours. The people I work with are friendly and look out for you. Most of the time you are always moving around with something to do.
Perception is reality was a common phrase used by the former store manager. People that lacked work ethic, but were friendly with management, were often promoted. This often created internal problems within departments. People are often hired based on their personality, not their work histories or attendance issues.
Upper management preaches accountability, but rarely practices. I was often blamed for my managers and other associates mistakes, and forced to deal with them, instead of the people responsible dealing with them.

They promote an environment of inclusiveness, which is great, but would often bring in people with known drama issues and poor work history. I was once told by my manager that she didn't wanna hire men, because they are more drama. I also watched two managers and an associate have a 45 minute conversation about another associates orientation.

On various occasions I was offered promotions, but during disciplinary conversations, told I wasn't management material. Those same members of upper management would on several occasions throughout the years have heated conversations with me in front of associates and customers. It was ok to do to me, but if I did it, it was inappropriate.

I worked in one of the very few departments that actually made money consistently and that never made a difference. Being a part-timer is great, because you can basically work whenever you feel like and you can get as many hours as you want. They have such high turnover that the majority of the time, a part-timer can get close to 40 hours, and dictate their schedule.
Pros
Part-timer schedule
Cons
Too many to list
Hannaford was my first job, in the 4 years I spent there I was cross trained in several areas (service clerk, cashier, service leader, night crew stocker, maintenance.) Definitely a good place to get a start in the workforce, excellent company for internal growth and development.
Pros
lots of open promotional spots internally, good managers
Cons
pay was ok, full time work was not available for my job while i was there
very good experience so far working at Hannaford management and associates are friendly and courteous while they tailored a schedule that fits around my primary job very nicely
Dont work here. Upper management is a complete joke, no care for employees. Really dragged their feet when reacting to Covid 19. Store runs a bare bones skeleton crew in most departments and expects the employees that do work to pick up the slack of others. Way to much is expected for only 12 dollars starting. Your past job experiance means nothing to them, so dont even bother putting in any effort. The HR or ARM as they call it, is a complete waste for the company. They will not listen to you, or help you with any problems unless it could mean legal trouble for the company. raises are based on a percentage, with a max amount being 4% per a year. Most employees are lucky if they get 2%. Avoid this job...
Where do I begin? I worked for this company on and off for over 4.5 years in 5 depts. During my time there, I found management to be a huge issue. Managers often opt for favoritism for how they reward individuals rather than merit. If they don’t like you, you can forget advancements, better pay, or benefits. The environment feels almost clique-like. Especially in the front end. Work is repetitive, straining, if they can stick you with the tasks nobody else wants to do, they will. This often results in back breaking work, for long hours on end such as constant lifting. They have big issues with being understaffed in depts with high volume. The hours are very fluctuating, and sometimes as was my case, my guaranteed hours were not always given. Scheduling in depts like deli/seafood depended on which manager managed to finish the task on time. Customers and coworkers alike will abuse you and management won’t bat an eye which is another reflection of the supposed values of this company. I worked there until physically became unable. Now I can barely manage basic tasks without extreme pain. That’s what happens when you end up doing everything while others opt to get out early and or refuse to help. Management doesn’t care how the work is divided if it gets done, even if it’s divided unfairly. That’s the system they have in place. That’s what you truly consent to when you come work for them. Don’t believe me, just look at how the cart-system is set up to gather the carts in the parking lot on a hot summer day. Look at the tired faces of the same person doing a job over and over without - more...
Pros
None.
Cons
Poor management, overworked and, abuse from within, no benefits, constant strain that leads to chronic pain, little chance to move up unless management likes you.
Did 12 years for hannaford before being fired bc i stood up for myself. I worked at over 10 Hannaford Supermarkets and they are all the same. Store/department managers are lazy and rude. Hannaford is a DRAMA driven company. Store managers talk trash about there employees . especially Milton NY Store manager. HF, SGF, queensbury,milton,malta, greenwich, glens falls. Dont work at all of these places u will hate it!!!!!!
Cons
Coworkers are great, but they get really busy and don’t usually have enough workers so it gets extremely exhausting running around trying to help everybody out while customers usually are rude and make it seem like it’s your fault that it’s not getting done fast enough for the way they like it also doing carts either in very cold weather raining weather or very hot weather is also exhausting.
Pros
Great “family” of workers
Cons
Extremely busy most of the time.
It’s a great job, easy and flexible hours. Friendly environment and easy to pick up more hours if you’d like also easy to request days off if you need to.
I worked at Hannaford for 5 years, 2 and a half in Lewiston, and the same in Gorham. Let's just say the managers in Lewiston were better and more organized.
I only work around 3 hours a week and barely get paid. Some of the people there are nice but the higher ups don’t seem to know what they are doing all the time.
the work was easy, simple, however not every rewarding i wasnt challenged and i sat alone in the back rooms every shift so i would get lonley at times too. it was okay nothing outstanding but nothing horrable
Pros
lots of breaks, easy simple work
I love hannaford and the people but there is a disconnect with the associate relationships managers. I wish that they would help me get to my life goals since I work so hard for them .
Managers are fake and will throw you on top of moving bus.When company comes everyone is your friend then once they leave they walk past you like your not there. Hannafords mission has changed for the worst.
Hannaford in Gilford, NH is an amazing family I go visit and accomplish daily goals with each day I work. Not only coworkers but ESPECIALLY management are all positive, smiling, encouraging and kind to everyone! They really are like family. Unexpectedly wound up in the hospital, wasn't able to call and explain what was going on for days (3 of 4 I was scheduled for work). First time I had a chance to call the first thing my manager AND the relations manager asked was "Are you okay? I've been worried about you!". Now that's family. to call
Great place to work I worked there for almost eight years until I moved to North Carolina my work schedule was very good and flexible the bosses were pretty cool too
9 out of 10 jobs listed at Hannaford are part time only. the only way to become full time is if you are offered the position after a few years with the company, usually 3-10 years. Part timers do NOT get any health insurance, dental or vision, the only type of insurance you can get is Accidental Death and Dismemberment, pet insurance and other odd balls. the only useful insurance is AD&D. Depending on your manager, work can either be fun, or sucky. ive had a mix of the two, just in my one year at hannaford. one thing i really really like, is when i moved out of my parents house and moved a few towns over, it was super easy to transfer to a closer for me store.
Cons
healthcare
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hannaford. Our community is ready to answer.
Diversity score
out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Hannaford.