Hannaford Employee Reviews

Found 1,552 reviews matching the search See all 1,556 reviews
Rewarding and fun
Service leader (Current Employee) –  Brattleboro, VTFebruary 17, 2019
I would encourage anybody to work at Hannaford. The managers are very flexible and professional and it is a very organized store. If you need time off for anything they will take care of it for you as long as you give them notice. I have been promoted and learned a ton while working here. It is the best retail job there is. Highly recommend this company.
Pros
Cons
Retail
productive work place
Customer Service Leader (Current Employee) –  wynanstkill NyFebruary 17, 2019
While working at Hannaford I learned how to manage my time in a more efficient way. I learned the struggles of managing the work place while also learning how to overcome them.
Unfair management procedures
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Brattleboro, VTFebruary 15, 2019
Management is unfair to who they choose for advancement and it's discrimination if you call a co worker young or old. I've never had that issue from past employers. They promote people in their teens as shift leaders who have to"verify alcohol and tobacco sales". Then after having to wait for them to verify the sales, they count the time you take to complete the sales!! I have several years experience working in retail sales but I started at just above minimum wage. They really need to reexamine their employees who have experience with customer service and act accordingly as far as promoting the younger generation and overlooking the employees with experience. I'm seeking other employment opportunities because of their discriminatory procedures. Those who cannot legally purchase alcohol and tobacco certainly should not be given authority to oversee employees who have more experience and life experiences. They need to reorganize the management. Fast changeover in employees should be their first warning sign that this may be part of the issues!!
Pros
Rewards enrollment
Cons
Management, high turnover, unfair treatment of certainemoloyees, low rate of pay w experience, cost of hannafords insurance is extremely high, shift leads promoted without consideration to past experienced employees
Relaxed environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hooksett, NHFebruary 15, 2019
Hannaford like all supermarkets are busy during the rush, but relaxed most of the time. Fun interactions with customers and good conversation with coworkers makes the day go by fast.
A nice place to work but it was not a relaxed environment
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Turner, MEFebruary 12, 2019
The work was not hard but at times the managers were bossy and a little over concerned about everything we did. I did enjoy the communication among fellow co-workers.
Pros
There were none
Cons
There were none
Good at first but toxic later
Deli/Bakery Associate (Former Employee) –  Old Town, MEFebruary 11, 2019
When I first started at Hannaford, I loved it. I loved the people, the hours and the pay.

I eventually became involved with another coworker in a different department. While I was with him, he left the location that I worked at but remained with the company, now in a management position.

The relationship became abusive and I left him. About 4 months later, I learned he was coming back to the store that I worked at. I had a meeting with my manager and the store manager where I was told that I could deal with it or leave.

I opted to deal with it. My hours started getting cut as I began to express the stress of being forced to work with him, again. I ended up quitting before Valentine's Day because I couldn't deal with the environment they created around me.
fun workplace but can be stressful
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Waldoboro, MEFebruary 10, 2019
management isnt the best and theres times where your the only cash register open and it can get very busy with just the one open. Heats always on so you sweat all day.
Good first job but no space for growth
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, MEFebruary 8, 2019
Simple cashiering job scaning food items and helping customers around the store. The hours werent good, breaks were random and always got busy quickly which becomes stressful for you.
great part time job
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Manchester, NHFebruary 6, 2019
A good part time job for teens like me. You also are given opportunities to grow within the company (service leading- management etc). Good pay and hours are flexible.
High Turn Over
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Raymond, NH 03077February 6, 2019
Hire mostly high school kids, yet if you mess up once they let you go. Hours are inconsistent, management is immature, poor communication, most people don't stay long. Pay is decent but that is about it.
Poor workplace
Customer Service, Food (Former Employee) –  Westbrook, MEFebruary 3, 2019
Told me I had to get over a medical condition because it was interfering with their company. And would not handle someone, who I had a restraining order at the time, and take them out, would not follow court orders and management is not good
Pros
Cons
No benefits, inconsistent
stable paycheck
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  MaineJanuary 30, 2019
decent pay, flexible work environment, great coworkers, limited opportunity to advance, demanding hours(weekends/holidays) tough on family life, good benefits
Demanding and repetative
Stocker overnight (Current Employee) –  Augusta, MEJanuary 29, 2019
Stocking shelves overnight is physically demanding. It's a workout for sure. The pay sucks for the pace and volume of work. But, great coworkers and low stress. Part time is plenty.
Pros
Store is closed overnight, coworkers all get along well. Helpful and fun group.
Cons
Terrible pay, for the physically demanding duties.
Hannaford
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oneonta, NYJanuary 29, 2019
I loved working at Hannaford except the fact that they wouldn't work with me with my kids and what I needed for a little bit until I got my child up to where he has to be.
Casual work environment, great co-workers
Front end (Former Employee) –  Uxbridge, MAJanuary 25, 2019
The job wasn't stressful but was annoying. Definitely a good highschool job but wouldn't want it long term. We did basic cashiering and bagging of groceries but sometimes carts or stocking shelves. Breaks were fair and work was tedious but that is to be expected!
Not very exciting
Night Shift Stocker (Former Employee) –  Carmel, NYJanuary 23, 2019
I worked the night shift so it was quiet, cold and boring. But I could listen to my own music and I didn't really have a dress code. Lots of heavy lifting and it was an almost all male staff.
Not a good place to work.
Deli Associate (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHJanuary 23, 2019
Hannaford payed me and worked me at my store in Manchester, NH just enough to stay poor. The management did not care for me as "I was the high price spread". They sought every chance to discipline me so that they could get rid of me. I resent the notion that the customer is always right every time. I did my best to serve all customers equally well. If a customer complained as they will inevitably they were always accommodated at my expense. I also had customers who would wait in line because they preferred my type of service.
Pros
I can't think of any.
Cons
see above
Friendly coworkers but poor management.
Seafood Lead (Current Employee) –  Bangor, MEJanuary 23, 2019
Some of the best people I have met including my wife I have met through Hannaford. Unfortunately the company is very poorly managed, primarily outside the country. As a highly educated associate with multiple degrees and nearly twenty years with the company I feel like advancement in the company isn't worth my time. What started off as a successful family business has turned into a corporate disaster, and it's primarily these reasons why I seek to change my career path.
Pros
Friendly coworkers and paid vacations
Cons
poor management and little to no job advancements.
Adequate work environment that offers inner advancement
NH 03053 - Meat and Seafood Associate (Former Employee) –  Londonderry, NHJanuary 22, 2019
For the job of closing meat and seafood associate, the demand is very straightforward. You are tasked with showing up at the set time and cleaning/shutting down the meat or seafood department at the appropriate times. After experience is gained working the job you may be tasked with training new associates in the job that you do. Customers will also have to helped while you are cleaning or shutting down the department and that will often fall on you to happen.
Overall Great Place to Work
Service Clerk (Current Employee) –  Modena, NYJanuary 19, 2019
Great place for a first job, very flexible. Enviroment is relaxed, management and associates are very friendly, helpful, understanding and passionate about the job. Can be fast paced and slow at times. Overall the people and the job make it a great place to work at.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hannaford. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight