Hannaford Employee Reviews

Found 1,481 reviews matching the search See all 1,484 reviews
Clean professional enviroment
Center Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Dover, NHDecember 6, 2018
Found The store to be well stocked, with a variety of choices. The store was clean and well organized. Co workers were good workers. Location and commute were good.
Pros
good hours
Cons
poor management
Friendly people
DELI MANAGER (Former Employee) –  MaineDecember 6, 2018
Overall, Hannaford was a great company to work for. My last manager is why I left the company though. Prior management teams were great and treated you fairly.
Pros
Benefits for full/part time
Cons
The health insurance was expensive for the coverage provided.
Not worth a minute of your time.
Overnight Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Bangor, MEDecember 6, 2018
Yet another company that abuses its workforce and tries to hide the truth about how they underpay their employees, deny them training for the jobs that they are hired to do. They mimic name brands with their own generic products that end up rotting on the shelves, so they can get tax haven status for the losses, and overcharge for the most basic goods and services to the local population. If you work there, you sure as heck can't afford to shop there.
Pros
None.
Cons
Managers are allowed lie about employee scheduling, organization, and lack of training of new employees in order to save their own jobs.
Horrible long term job, but not bad for temporary work
Stock Associate (Current Employee) –  AnywhereDecember 5, 2018
If you are looking for short term work, Hannaford might be the place for you. On the surface it seems like a good place to be, but when you stay with the company longer you really begin to see it for what it is. The company provides a good culture for customers, but they do not care about employees. If you want to move up with this company you need to kiss the right person's butt. Hannaford does not value you as an individual, they only value those that are naive and become "yes men" going along with whatever the corporate spiel is. If you have an opinion of your own, it will be squashed and then you will be looked at as undesirable. The good news is it is hard to get fired at the company, but this also works against you if you are a good worker. Time and time again employees with horrible work ethic are allowed to skate by doing nothing and then all the employees doing their best are made to feel like they aren't doing enough. The company also does not operate efficiently and if you question things or offer suggestions they will not matter. The bottom line is if you are a hard worker, then you will have a bad experience at hannaford unless you kiss the right person's butt. If you are someone who wants to come in and just do your job to the best of your ability then you will be ostracized because you didn't kneel at the feet of those above you.

Please head this warning and DON'T stay at the company more than 2 years maximum or you will begin to regret it. If you are someone who is all talk and no work however, you will fit in perfectly with the management team at Hannaford.
  more... Most managers do nothing and then wonder why things aren't getting done. I have been a manager previously and gave it up because if you are a good manager the company hounds you for more results. If you are a bad manager the company just lets you skate by with no recourse.

I can't stress enough how bad of an experience you will have working at Hannaford long term. Some of the employees can make it a bit more enjoyable only in the sense that you know you are all getting screwed over together so there is camaraderie in that sense but this company has a long way to go before it can be recommended to anyone.
Pros
difficult to get fired, majority of co-workers are nice, daytime employees are sometimes treated as people
Cons
bad company culture, incompetent management, company bias towards whoever kisses the most butt, hard-work is preyed upon instead of rewarded, very stingy on paying raises
I enjoyed working here
Department Manager - Seafood/Bakery (Former Employee) –  New York StateDecember 5, 2018
I enjoyed working at Hannaford but needed to earn more money. I enjoyed interacting with the customers on a regular basis. I left because I wanted to work a Monday through Friday job. I worked most weekends at Hannaford and my kids were young.
Could be fun if they would lighten up a bit
Service Leader (Current Employee) –  Standish, MENovember 25, 2018
Too much micromanaging from some upper management. Plus there tends to be too many manager types and not enough leadership. And suggestions are usually ignored.
They hire and promote too many inexperienced kids and then expect adults to clean up.
Pros
Cons
All they want are robots, and all they care about is how fast you can ring customers up.
Pretty Big Mess
Night Crew (Former Employee) –  Northwood, NHNovember 25, 2018
Management never has their footing. Place is ran poorly. Leadership passes the buck down to the lowest worker. Decent enough place to work if you're a kid and it's your first job... but many of the positions are only fit for adults. Those positions don't pay well and are overworked and stressed.
Pros
You probably won't be fired for not caring. No one does.
Cons
Too many chiefs not enough indians
Not Enough Hours
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  United StatesNovember 25, 2018
Most things about Hannafords are great. Management, coworkers, you name it. I just cannot get enough hours as a part-timer to warrant remaining. I am only looking for 22-24 hours weekly. It seems as though whenever I bring the subject up, I am scheduled for fewer hours. This week I am down to less than 14 hours. It's too bad as I do like working for Hannafords, but it's time to move on.
Pros
Great co-workers, team atmosphere.
Cons
Not enough hours
Productive and upbeat workplace
Produce Lead (Former Employee) –  Londonderry, NHNovember 21, 2018
On a regular day I maintain the work floor with product and break down daily shipment. I would also receive shipment and do the daily morning order when required.
Good for a student
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Nashua, NHNovember 20, 2018
I worked there throughout high school and college, good part time job. However it paid very little and the experience with many customers was poor. Good overall experience.

Want to know more about Hannaford?

Ask a question
I like this job
Deil clerk (Former Employee) –  Ayer, MANovember 18, 2018
Great people hard working people always busy had a lot of friends at this job nice place to work very busy they love to help people and they give everyone a job
Fun place to work
Associate (Current Employee) –  Bangor, MENovember 15, 2018
If you like interacting with the general public, this is a great place to work.
Need a flexible schedule...this is the place.
Like cheerful coworkers? Go get a job at your local Hannaford supermarket.
always great people working there
Produce Department Associate (Current Employee) –  Topsham, MENovember 14, 2018
It is hard work but the people are great. Always groups getting together for outside of work activities. Pro LGBTQ. We are thanked for our efforts often and there is always training.
Pros
great people
Cons
difficult to get full time/benefits
Great Company
Assistant Manager of Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Yarmouth, MENovember 14, 2018
The opportunity for growth at Hannaford is truly amazing to me. If you show a level of interest in moving up in a company that will value your time, Hannaford is my first choice.
fun
Crew Member/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Belfast, MENovember 13, 2018
i loved the job i wish i didn't have to leave. a typical work day is full of jokes but its a perfect balance of working, everyone understood there's a time and a place.
Pros
food coupons, loved the amount of breaks
This was a great job, but family life suffered
Truck Driver Class A CDL/Yard Jockey/Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  South Portland, MENovember 12, 2018
This really was a great job. Groceries were delivered threw out Maine, NH, Mass. Sometimes there would be transfers going to Schodack, NY, or NY to South Portland. Often there were rolled paper loads to be delivered to The Boston Globe, Herald Express, or to different printing companies along the East Coast.
Pros
Every year you would pick which job or route you want to take
Cons
They would hire a manager to be the Hatchet Man and get rid of people
friendly environment with lots of good memories
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hudson, NHNovember 11, 2018
Hannaford has helped me grow as a person in various ways. It has taught me to perform fast paced work and multitask. The employees there are mostly friendly and respectful.
Pros
coupons for free lunches
Cons
gets very busy on certain days
Fun workplace to chit chat when you're not busy
All aspects of Sales and Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Valatie, NYNovember 11, 2018
A typical day consists of checking customers out with a friendly attitude a break or a few of them. Maybe grab some carts, but overall not to stressful unless it is your first job. I have learned to be positive, work very well in customer service and how to operate a cash register. Management at Hannaford is very nice and understanding. The culture here is very fun and positive it is completely what you make it. The hardest part of the job is grabbing carts during the winter because it is very cold in the winter and you must dress appropriately. The most enjoyable part of the job is putting a smile on the face of your fellow coworkers and customers face.
Pros
Breaks, Flexible scheduling
Cons
Long periods on feet
I never worked before this is my first time
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Connie nyNovember 9, 2018
Im resepctful kind understanding help good lister and i will be a hard worker on time to work people will really like me here i will be staying for a long time
Pros
Discounts
Cons
30 min
fast paced on your feet job
Customer Service/Produce/Deli Associate (Former Employee) –  North Conway, NHNovember 7, 2018
on your feet all day doing many peoples jobs for just one jobs pay good pay no advancement or benefits other than having a part time job five days a week for four hrs a day but if slow your sent home.
Pros
good pay
Cons
fve day a week for part time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hannaford. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Hannaford.

Powered by Comparably