Harbor Freight Tools USA, Inc. Employee Reviews

Hire within is a joke from the start! Interview was a far illusion from reality
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  West Springfield, MASeptember 17, 2018
Since i have begin working i have see one promotion within. I have see 4 to 5 outsode hires into the management team. Some even ask questions down. Not very professional Anyways. Ive been working there for 2yrs, started as a part time sales associate still a part time sales associate. I have applied for promotions and i am more then qualified for the positions & have been on many management teams for other companies. Unfortunately We just experenced a managment turn over, went from highly abusive bullies to new management team 2 hires from outside when they definatly have talent instore. I know my job very well Action Oriented ( sell the top ITC and ESP plans on a monthly basis), CUSTOMER FOCUSED (some say i have the largest customer following they have seen) composure ( well we could definatly all need some encouragment on a job well done not just the negatives that could be put on us) I have spend alot of my free time to watch reviews and learn the products, brands and more about Harbor Freight as a company. I was very excited during my interview to start with such an incredible company but 2 years in I believe I have gotten all i can out of a job if not promoted soon i will have to jump ship. Unlike the "intiltled" young kids who live at home with there parnets. I support my children on what i make. I must say the reviews are helpful if you are like me and set personal goals l .. raises are insulting.... No staff meeting either to discuss any issues.
Pros
Love my customers very good at my job
Cons
Hire out alot more then hire within! See as "just a chick" Stuck as a sales associate
Fast paced
Assistant cashier manager (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSSeptember 17, 2018
It was very fast paced. The store was always busy. A mojority of the employees all got along and worked well with each other. I learned alot about tools. And was able to help and teach others.
All lies
Shipper (Former Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CASeptember 16, 2018
Alot of favoritism, no set schedule, they rarely give you chances to advance, and they really care more about their products than the employees themselves. Real set up for failure.
Pros
Occasional pot lucks.
Cons
Looong hours and back breaking work.
You're always busy but it pays off.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kannapolis, NCSeptember 15, 2018
There are hardly any times where you just stand at the register. There is always something to do or your LOD wants you to do, especially if you're short staffed. Very flexible with working if you have other commitments such as school or second jobs and PTO is a bonus. It can be very easy to earn commission through ITC (memberships) and ESP (replacement plans) but if you don't keep up with them your store sales quote can go down. It can be a very frustrating environment with the customers since HFT always has sales and coupons people can never read the exclusions. The thing with a short staffed store is that you may have to work long shifts and if you're a person who is in school it might affect you in the long run. Overall, HFT is a great store and I believe it's a great place to work part time and to earn benefits.
Pros
Pto, Commission
Cons
Long shifts, many grumpy customers
Not a bad place to work, a good working environment mostly.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  New Braunfels, TXSeptember 15, 2018
Most of my coworkers are great and we hang out frequently, there is some issue in work delegation from the people in charge, but its overall not a bad place.
Pros
Good wirking environment, mostly friendly staff, accepting of tattoos and unnatural hair
Cons
Abundance of rude customers, some management issues
They dont pay good.
Logistics Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Jasper, INSeptember 15, 2018
The scheduling wasnt flexable. There was zero overtime. Managers were always outside smokin while I was stuck doing their job. Benefits sucked. They terminated me over maternity leave.
Pros
6 hours pto per pay period
Cons
Benefits were awful.
Lack of Communication, Higher Ups Don’t Care About You. Not Worth It
Sales Supervisor/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Spindale, NCSeptember 14, 2018
I was currently a sales supervisor there and there was SO MUCH LACK OF COMMUNICATION!!!! The enviroment was beyond stressful. Fun fact:if you do your job perfect you also get to finish someone else’s job too! Long hours of busting your butt to never be appreciated for it! If your store is perfect the BIG DOGS will take credit for it like they actually did something to make you perfect. When district comes by they stay ALL DAY!!! Again COMMUNICATION SUCKED!! Your basically there most of your days, you can barely have a personal life. It basically doesn’t exist if you work there! They only keep around those who are “buddy buddy” with the higher ups. If they don’t like you they will find a way to boo you out. If your part time the hours suck!!! Literally go from 30 hours to sometimes 8 hours weeks. Pay isn’t enough for all of that!
Pros
20% off employee discount, Coworkers were literally like family.
Cons
No communication, worked my job and other people’s job, never appreciated, district always takes credit for your hard work.
Fun place to work, kinda
LOGISTICS SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  IndianaSeptember 13, 2018
As a supervisor I was to help train and bring associates to higher standards, however upper management never had my back when issues arose. As a supervisor my opinion/suggestions should have been taken into account, lack of respect.

Benefits were great, some perks were awesome.
benefits
Cons
lack of loyalty and respect
managment could have been better
SR. logistics / Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Westminster, CASeptember 12, 2018
typical day, you recover the store, pull some items from the ware house to stock, then provide customer assistance and carry outs. The most stressful part I believe the lack of staff.
Pros
rewarded the buddy system with carry outs
Cons
Store manger, understaffed
Not a career
Retail Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXSeptember 12, 2018
Was a temporary job as I was going to school and working in the evenings. There is no opportunity for advancement. co workers are always good. the customers service is decent
Pros
fun to work
Cons
no room for advancement
Fun work place.
Sales Supervisor/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Paducah, KYSeptember 11, 2018
The hardest part of the job was unloading the truck. It wasn't hard because the truck was complicated but the time you had to be there early. I loved this job, regret leaving.
Pros
Christmas Dinner.
Cons
Parking lot sales
Awful Company
Warehouse Supervisor / Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kennesaw, GASeptember 11, 2018
In Harbor Freight you as the employee are the thing that matters the absolute least to management. ANY customer at ANY time can file a complaint that will result in disciplinary action EVEN IF you have witnesses that can show the complaint is false. Not even to mention when they accuse every employee of stealing for craps and chuckles. I know it sounds like hyperbole, but they sat every employee in a small room and grilled them. The absolute kicker? There was ZERO theft or other shady things happening at the time.
it was ok to work there
Office Manager/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDSeptember 10, 2018
things may have changed , but when you want to grow with the company and you keep training all the assistants managers and they keep moving up and you keep being passed over well it's time to move on.
Don't work here
Assistant Store Manager-Operations (Former Employee) –  Hemet, CASeptember 10, 2018
Had a difficult time with the store I worked at. Store Manager made inappropriate comments about rate. Had no control of employees, would do anything to make a buck. FTP, was a joke, not all stores are the same, not all customers are the same.
Laid back work place, great people
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCSeptember 9, 2018
Good place to work, typically very busy. You have the opportunity to make more money from commission by selling ITC memberships along with extended service plans. Management is pretty laid back. The hardest part of the job is truck night because its hard manual labor but its still enjoyable. the easiest part of the job is the customer service aspect, the customers you get are very friendly.
Pros
Easy job
Cons
Pay isn't high enough
No Complaints
Overnight Stocker (Former Employee) –  Parma Heights, OHSeptember 9, 2018
Was an overall good experience working for Harbor Freight. The hours were solid so there was no guessing when you worked. The staff was overall very friendly and wonderful to work with.
Average workplace.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ocala, FLSeptember 7, 2018
Not horrible if you are looking for a couple extra hours. One 5 minute break and one 30 minute break per four hour shift. Pay raises ever quarter if it is earned
Pros
25% off entire purchase
Cons
Never had the hours they said they would give you
Good place to work at
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Farmington, MOSeptember 7, 2018
Its a good job to work at is easily learnd and good management.you get a 30 min lunch. If you can follow directions well you be okay you have many opportunities to move up in the company.
Pros
20% discount for employees
Great Company
Logistics Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Uniontown, PASeptember 7, 2018
Very understanding management when it comes to family crises and believing in you. The culture and people are great. Advancement opportunities are there and the company is growing. Hard work, but very fun and rewarding.
Pros
Salary, benefits, culture, people, really everything.
Logistics (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, VASeptember 6, 2018
That day was very long, they neeed me to stay longer. They always had me running around the store because they didn’t want to do ii. Overall it was a terrible work experience and there organization was terrible.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Harbor Freight Tools USA, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.6

2.1Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight