Harbor Freight Tools USA, Inc. Employee Reviews

Found 2,364 reviews matching the search See all 2,370 reviews
not happy
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Lemon Grove, CASeptember 23, 2018
they dont have a set work schedule , they basicly do whatever they want when you talk about an issue seems like they dont care , managment is very low they write you up and dont tell you until a month passes by and you dont even know for what sometime s
Not too shabby
ASSOCIATE SALES (Current Employee) –  San Bernardino, CASeptember 22, 2018
Kind work place that's fairly demanding if you are working warehouse. Not much recognition and the managers are decent at best. It's not bad for the amount of tools they carry
Pros
tools
Cons
underpaid labor
Productive and fast paced
Logistics Associate (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCSeptember 20, 2018
This is a great job. I enjoy the flexible schedule. The customers keep you on your toes and moving which is a great way to pass time. The hardest part of the day is replenishment but it isn't that bad. The toughest part of the job overall is first floor receiving especially when you are short staffed. You can learn a lot about tools and projects while helping customers as well as from the managers. I love the work culture because you actually feel like you are a part of a family.
Pros
Work culture, flexible schedule
Cons
Bi-weekly pay, limited work hours, hourly compensation
Productive fun place to work
Logistics (Former Employee) –  Klamath Falls, ORSeptember 20, 2018
I liked working with the public and being able to assist then with their needs. shift hours could of been more to help people with families. Pricing products available, setting up for out door sales.
Constant Badgering
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Manassas, VASeptember 20, 2018
Nothing positive, uplifting, or encouraging is said. They point out every flaw and never compliment. Ive heard them yell at and belittle other employees and supervisors. It is a hostile environment where you never feel secure in your job. They are always testing you and retraining. They push you to sell ITC's and ESP's but when you do they don't appreciate it. They simply tell you to sell more. The sales associate motto is customer focus, action oriented, and composure. However, they remind you daily not to be to nice to customers, don't make eye contact with them, and try not to make a connection with any of them. I was trained that cashiers are people herders and we should get them out as fast as possible. I shouldn't ask politely for the customer address that I should just ask for it then turn my body away from them so they feel like they have no choice but to give it to me. The composure would have to be not getting upset when our customers get very angry with us. I worked there 4 months and 8 people have either quit or been fired. You just don't get paid enough to be treated like that!
Pros
Free food occasionally
Cons
The store sucks the very life and joy out of you
Workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Stevens Point, WISeptember 19, 2018
Good company. Not enough hours for all employees. Part time only. Hours range from 4 am to 930 pm. Hours pf operations 8 am to 8 pm. Get to wear jeans every day. Works with their employees. Don't do anything for the Military. Great discounts. Friendly with community.
Pros
Part time, awesome co-workers
Cons
Part time hours
Retail Sales Associate
Sales Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CA/ Fort Worth, TxSeptember 18, 2018
The first job I got after loosing everything. This was my first step back up!...I did every job at Harbor Freight. Loading and unloading merchandise...Transporting and correctly identifying it for easy reference. Then retrieving it for easy consumption.
Pros
A virtual counter-culture.
Cons
Low Compensation.
Ok job management favoritism
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Greensburg, PASeptember 18, 2018
good hours and ok pay but management favors other workers and says they will work with you on hours but cut your hours unless you have open availability.
Pros
discounts
Cons
poor management
Fast paced
Assistant cashier manager (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSSeptember 17, 2018
It was very fast paced. The store was always busy. A mojority of the employees all got along and worked well with each other. I learned alot about tools. And was able to help and teach others.
All lies
Shipper (Former Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CASeptember 16, 2018
Alot of favoritism, no set schedule, they rarely give you chances to advance, and they really care more about their products than the employees themselves. Real set up for failure.
Pros
Occasional pot lucks.
Cons
Looong hours and back breaking work.
You're always busy but it pays off.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kannapolis, NCSeptember 15, 2018
There are hardly any times where you just stand at the register. There is always something to do or your LOD wants you to do, especially if you're short staffed. Very flexible with working if you have other commitments such as school or second jobs and PTO is a bonus. It can be very easy to earn commission through ITC (memberships) and ESP (replacement plans) but if you don't keep up with them your store sales quote can go down. It can be a very frustrating environment with the customers since HFT always has sales and coupons people can never read the exclusions. The thing with a short staffed store is that you may have to work long shifts and if you're a person who is in school it might affect you in the long run. Overall, HFT is a great store and I believe it's a great place to work part time and to earn benefits.
Pros
Pto, Commission
Cons
Long shifts, many grumpy customers
Not a bad place to work, a good working environment mostly.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  New Braunfels, TXSeptember 15, 2018
Most of my coworkers are great and we hang out frequently, there is some issue in work delegation from the people in charge, but its overall not a bad place.
Pros
Good wirking environment, mostly friendly staff, accepting of tattoos and unnatural hair
Cons
Abundance of rude customers, some management issues
They dont pay good.
Logistics Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Jasper, INSeptember 15, 2018
The scheduling wasnt flexable. There was zero overtime. Managers were always outside smokin while I was stuck doing their job. Benefits sucked. They terminated me over maternity leave.
Pros
6 hours pto per pay period
Cons
Benefits were awful.
Lack of Communication, Higher Ups Don’t Care About You. Not Worth It
Sales Supervisor/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Spindale, NCSeptember 14, 2018
I was currently a sales supervisor there and there was SO MUCH LACK OF COMMUNICATION!!!! The enviroment was beyond stressful. Fun fact:if you do your job perfect you also get to finish someone else’s job too! Long hours of busting your butt to never be appreciated for it! If your store is perfect the BIG DOGS will take credit for it like they actually did something to make you perfect. When district comes by they stay ALL DAY!!! Again COMMUNICATION SUCKED!! Your basically there most of your days, you can barely have a personal life. It basically doesn’t exist if you work there! They only keep around those who are “buddy buddy” with the higher ups. If they don’t like you they will find a way to boo you out. If your part time the hours suck!!! Literally go from 30 hours to sometimes 8 hours weeks. Pay isn’t enough for all of that!
Pros
20% off employee discount, Coworkers were literally like family.
Cons
No communication, worked my job and other people’s job, never appreciated, district always takes credit for your hard work.
Fun place to work, kinda
LOGISTICS SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  IndianaSeptember 13, 2018
As a supervisor I was to help train and bring associates to higher standards, however upper management never had my back when issues arose. As a supervisor my opinion/suggestions should have been taken into account, lack of respect.

Benefits were great, some perks were awesome.
benefits
Cons
lack of loyalty and respect
managment could have been better
SR. logistics / Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Westminster, CASeptember 12, 2018
typical day, you recover the store, pull some items from the ware house to stock, then provide customer assistance and carry outs. The most stressful part I believe the lack of staff.
Pros
rewarded the buddy system with carry outs
Cons
Store manger, understaffed
Not a career
Retail Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXSeptember 12, 2018
Was a temporary job as I was going to school and working in the evenings. There is no opportunity for advancement. co workers are always good. the customers service is decent
Pros
fun to work
Cons
no room for advancement
Fun work place.
Sales Supervisor/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Paducah, KYSeptember 11, 2018
The hardest part of the job was unloading the truck. It wasn't hard because the truck was complicated but the time you had to be there early. I loved this job, regret leaving.
Pros
Christmas Dinner.
Cons
Parking lot sales
Awful Company
Warehouse Supervisor / Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kennesaw, GASeptember 11, 2018
In Harbor Freight you as the employee are the thing that matters the absolute least to management. ANY customer at ANY time can file a complaint that will result in disciplinary action EVEN IF you have witnesses that can show the complaint is false. Not even to mention when they accuse every employee of stealing for craps and chuckles. I know it sounds like hyperbole, but they sat every employee in a small room and grilled them. The absolute kicker? There was ZERO theft or other shady things happening at the time.
it was ok to work there
Office Manager/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDSeptember 10, 2018
things may have changed , but when you want to grow with the company and you keep training all the assistants managers and they keep moving up and you keep being passed over well it's time to move on.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Harbor Freight Tools USA, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight