Harbor Freight Tools USA, Inc. Employee Reviews

Where do i start....
Logistics associate (Current Employee) –  Colonial Heights, VAMay 26, 2018
I was promised a full-time position that I never got. Also I was approached in an aggressive tone/manner because I was speaking to a co-worker about being lied to for full-time position and being called a Mexican.
Pros
Paid time off
Cons
Couldn't get ahold of HR
Review
Pricing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tupelo, MSMay 25, 2018
This company sucks. They pay sucks the way they treat their employees is unfair and having to take off for anything they will complain. Do not work for this company
Great work place would work with my school schedule but was going to school in another city
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXMay 24, 2018
Great place to work, great people, had many hours, possible ways to make more money and other things. Had amazing managers that were helpful with anything that happened in my life.
Pros
Lunch hours, able to make more money with warranties
Cons
Short handed
Only part time work..
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORMay 24, 2018
Very hard to advance with company. Management is not for employees. Been there for over 3 years now and every year we have an evaluation and a raise is based on that evaluation. I normally receive on average, about .50 cents, for being a supervisor, it's more of an insult.
Company is growing.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDMay 24, 2018
In general, I enjoy my job. However, there needs to be a balance of the number of employees to the amount of work required for each project. It would be nice to have more Saturdays or Sundays off to spend with family.
Good people to work with, direction clarification needed with management.
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Westland, MIMay 23, 2018
Start day with filling counters from picklist and adjusting inventory levels if not correct. Get store ready for opening. You work with and help customers from all cultures and backgrounds. Can be very enjoyable. Freight days can be a bit hectic and long. Everything has an SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) and interpretation from different levels of management can be confusing.
Pros
Different people you work with.
Cons
Break periods themselves (not lunch periods) not clearly defined.
Overall Views
Retail Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bay Shore, NYMay 23, 2018
The work life in the store is great, coworker’s are basically like a little family and that goes for both new and old employees. The scheduling is always convenient for whenever you cannot go in on a certain day because of whatever, etc. Everyone there just is very supportive and nice. The pay is nice if it’s your first job like myself.
Pros
Easy work life, Coworkers are helpful, Location, Etc
Cons
No automatic doors, No security cameras, The register setup, Etc
productive, fast paced
Logistics Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Laurel, MDMay 23, 2018
fast paced environment, heavy lifting at times, providing customer service and addressing any issues customers may have. Its a good workplace when everyone puts in they're best effort.
benefits
Cons
work/life balance for management
Too much pressure
SUPERVISOR OF LOGISTICS (Former Employee) –  Vineland, NJMay 23, 2018
I worked here 5 sometimes 6 days a week. Shift schedule was never steady and I worked all shifts. At times I worked through my break or stayed after I was scheduled. They never let you get overtime and worked you like a horse.
Pros
Payment
Cons
Managers
Choose Your Location Carefully
Retail Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Hempstead, NYMay 23, 2018
I don't think this is a bad company. In fact, my manager was great. I just worked in one of their ghetto locations, and so that's how the workers acted.
Pros
Discounts, Customer Tips
Cons
Unfair work load
An amazing place to get retail experience
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  York, PAMay 22, 2018
Depending on the day, I would start my day by helping to unload the truck by operating the pallet jack and moving pallets toward the front of the trailer so the forklift could reach them easier. Then everything that wasn't on a pallet we would bring in an assembly roller line and start to load the loose merchandise on it to be put on a skid in it's designated area in the store, and then we would bring it all out to the store floor and stock the shelves all while helping and interacting with customers and occasionally stopping to jump on the register as a cashier.
Pros
Friendly employees and management
ok place to work
clerk (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIMay 22, 2018
pay not that great. discount was good . no real benefits ti speak of. not a horrible place to work though..................................................
Its a great job
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Dillon, SCMay 22, 2018
Its a great job to work at. Its makes great money and you will always hours.You get 3 breaks to do what you want and there places to eat close by. I p
Pros
1 hr breaks
Cons
Long hrs. On your feet
fun work place
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Valdosta, GAMay 21, 2018
the typical work day is fast pasted. I learned that the average person does not read, they just want to be pointed in the right direction. the hardest part of the job is keeping your composure dealing with customers.
Pros
discounts
Cons
Short breaks
Flexibility to work around school schedule and diverse culture
Senior Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, GAMay 21, 2018
As a Sales Associate your top priority is to deliver a rewarding customer experience which includes being helpful, ensuring items are in-stock, items are priced right and to maintain a safe, clean and organized store.
Keeping my composure with the customers is the most important skill I learned at HFT. This consisted of remaining calm and professional under pressure and not to become defensive or irritated.
This was my first sales job and it was a priority for management to push sales in customers purchasing memberships to the Inside Track Club and extended guarantees on items that offered them. If you didn't meet the companies quota, it hindered your ability to advance in the company. This caused co-workers to compete against one another that in my opinion caused conflict when it came to working as a team.
Establishing a relationship with the customers was most awarding.
Benefits
Cons
Advancement
Chaos and terror
Logistics Specialist (Current Employee) –  Marion, INMay 20, 2018
The management at the Marion,IN location does not know how to make their employees useful enough to make the store even half way decent to work at. They make work life a living terror with three or four managers staring at your every move and breath, I hear that other stores make all employees come in to do the truck and that store is lucky to have 5 people unloading the truck. they want production but with that small number of people they cant have it.
Pros
good co-workers
Good for High schoolers. That's about it
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Sioux City, IAMay 20, 2018
When I worked at Harbor Freight, there were issues with drama between employees that caused issues on the floor, HR issues that one would THINK would get one fired, didn't even result in a slap-of-the-wrist. Overall, I am glad I got the sales rep experience, I just wish that the higher ups cared more about their employees.
Great company bad management
Logistic Associate (Former Employee) –  Rocky Mount, NCMay 20, 2018
Great job just management was under trained and was unorganized They just didn’t have consistent hours. Hours vary which is understood before employment but it was absurd.
Relatively small store with fun collaborative environment
Associate (Former Employee) –  Logan, UTMay 19, 2018
Most days felt like spending time with a group of friends while we all worked together to help the store customers and maintain the store space. Hours and schedule inconsistent, mostly because of accommodating the specific needs of the other employees. The only room for advancement required either relocating to pursue an opening in another store or a manager or supervisor leaving the store to create a vacancy to move into.
Pros
store discounts, close-knit collaborative and fun environment
Cons
Low wage, little room for advancement
up coming
Equipment Operator / equipment trainer (Current Employee) –  Dillon County, SCMay 18, 2018
the dillon dc is a great place to grow....the building is grow and is bringing a lot of jobs to the dillon area. the inland port has just started in the city of dillon and the new building 4 is almost up with mean more jobs

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Harbor Freight Tools USA, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Powered by Comparably

66out of 100

The Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Harbor Freight Tools USA, Inc..