Harbor Freight Tools USA, Inc. Employee Reviews

Found 2,820 reviews matching the search See all 2,827 reviews
productive workplace
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Fitchburg, MAJune 25, 2019
very fast paced customer service friendly knowledge about the construction field products and workplace environment was great very kind enjoyed the laid back atmosphere that the workplace had
great work envirment
sales associate/ warehouse logistics (Former Employee) –  Spring Hill, FLJune 25, 2019
I loved working at harbor freight it was truly a great experience, great coworkers very helpful and knowledgeable. I learned a lot working there and was a great opportunity
A True Learning Experience!
Learning & Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calabasas, CAJune 25, 2019
While I do feel my separation from Harbor Freight was out-of-line, in the 4+ years I worked there, they were very good to me. I enjoyed my work very much. Was given the opportunity to travel and facilitate team-building workshops for our new store associates, and I, happily and proudly supported Harbor Freight's Core Principles. I realized at the end of my tenure, these principles were merely words on a poster.
Put your gym membership on hold. This is a very physical job.
Logistics Manager (Former Employee) –  CAJune 24, 2019
HFT has very good training modules to learn the way they expect operations to be managed. Plus, it's the kind of job you can't take home with you. One negative is the smell of the new merchandise that is shipped in from overseas. A bigger negative is being held accountable to complete delivery put-away with a staff of five when you are budgeted for eight and they're all needed to get the job done, and you don't have any applicants to hire.
great company to work for
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 24, 2019
I love the job, although i have had a bad experience with my store manager, the company itself is awesome. we have great customers, great benefits, and awesome co workers. i would recommend Harbor Freight to anyone.
Pros
free lunches during parking lot sales.
Cons
kinda hard for advancement
Was not a good experience
Warehouseman/Salesman (Former Employee) –  Wise, VAJune 24, 2019
This was a horrible place to work. The management was poor and the system they used was very ineffective. Didn't get good hours and was lie pay. Wouldn't reccomend
Everyone but one manager that ruined it for me
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Walled Lake, MIJune 24, 2019
Most were cool, But one manager(She knows who she is) would talk down to you if you didn't hit the company demanded goal(60%) at insisting on customer email,phone and sell warranties and memberships... A lot of BS for lousy pay.. Was a part time for me, just extra cash for toys, but not worth the stress and BS. Customers were fun, along with coworkers... Scheduling was that great
Pros
20% discount on everything
Cons
everything else, Constantly hiring
Good intentions loosely followed
Logistics Supervisor (Current Employee) –  TennesseeJune 22, 2019
Harbor Freight Tools the company itself has great intentions. The management hired does not always follow all that. It is easy to move up ONLY DEPENDING on who you work under. The district I work in both the district managers I worked under would rather bring in people from their old companies versus moving up people from within. I was an assistant manager before and took a step backwards taking the logistics supervisor position but I was told I would advance fast. I haven't and at no fault of my own. I have been working in an undrstaffed store basically performing the job of a manager for suoervisors pay. Another thing is the pay. Harbor Freight have given associates raises 3 times in the last year which is AWESOME! They have not raised supervisor pay AT ALL though. Some associates make nearly what I make as a supervisor and with spiffs some make more than I do. I have spoke to management about this before and they keep saying raises are coming. A person who was promoted almost a year after I had been in my position got stareted out at a higher pay rate than me. Which doesn't seem right. We haven't had a second assistant manager for a very long time and I have basically been filling in for that role. And then they hire someone from outside the company. I wish they would raise the pay for supervisors as they have raised associates pay as well as the expectations. I wish the company would promote strictly from within unless there are no possible candidates.
Pros
Good morals.. Great benefits.
Cons
Supervisor pay.. Management
The interviewing manager was textbook management but sounded like he had freshly read a leadership over management book
Logistics Associate (Former Employee) –  Merritt Island, FLJune 21, 2019
It was a job at the time and I needed one. Assistant managers delegate more than they should. Standing by and watching an associate perform undermines integrity
Pros
Employee discount on cheap stuff.
Cons
Management does not have leadership skills
i loved workin at hftools but....
Logistics Associate (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJune 21, 2019
the store manager was the worst he hired his friends and promoted employees who quit working at hftools months prior and paid him under the table. I have solid proof about everything I mentioned.And last I had reached out to HR about some issues after I was told not to go to HR with my issue by the store manager .but he turned around and went to hr when he wanted me fired. When I was terminated I asked fro my personnel file I was given 2 different reasons why I was terminated and my final write up was not included in my personnel file I was told It did not exist . I can and will provide proof of everything i mentioned in this review. Store #0681
Cool place to work
Floor Captain (Former Employee) –  Clifton, NJJune 20, 2019
Cool place to work good culture unique very cool customers you working with tools. You got a good discount he's a love working tent sale go in early morning talk shows on load truck work with 5 people
Pros
No free lunch
Cons
Short breaks
Loved it
Sales Representative and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Rocklin, CAJune 19, 2019
Harbor freight tools was a fun team orientated job. Harbor freight was opening put their employees first showed appreciation to each individual. Harbor freight is one of the greatest tool stores. The harbor freight Rocklinlocation I attended I was the cleanest and most organized.
Absolutely horrible
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Allentown, PAJune 17, 2019
Awful and pathetic leadership that is only focused on sales rather than building solid talent. Management places unreasonable demands on its employees and sets goals that you can never ever reach, so they have a reason to let you go at any moment. They do not care about you, they only care about their bottom line. Salary is very low for the amount of workload. ESPs and ITCs are difficult to sell to customers and commission is less than what you're getting. When you're hired, managers tell you Harbor Freight is a great place to work and you'll enjoy working there, but they're lying, a lot of people quit anywhere between one to four months (some quit after one day). There are much better places to work, stay away from this place!
A decent place to work, as long as you do your work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  York, PAJune 16, 2019
Job often involved lots of hunting through boxes to find items you were looking for, usually for customers, or during morning restocking.

Lots of lifting heavy items 25lbs or more consistently for long periods of time, this is especially true on days where we were receiving a truck to unload and process. The store I worked at had lots of equipment (hand-trucks, hydraulic carts, pallet jacks) to help you do your job safely.

You can pickup a fair bit of knowledge from helping customers look for a specific item or just by placing items on the sales floor.

Best part was helping people get what they needed to get their job done.
Pros
Employees get 20% off, every shift is a workout, meet interesting folks, learn things from talking with customers, easy access to decent wrenches and socket sets.
Cons
Schedule could be erratic, mean customers, very physically intensive, truck days or nights means working in the heat, cold, rain or the snow where I worked.
Management did not manage well
Inventory Associate (Former Employee) –  Egg Harbor Township, NJJune 16, 2019
To many supervisors telling you what to do and they need it done before you could finish the first task.
Store is very disorganized and so are the employees
Pros
Cons
Management in fighting
It's all right I guess.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Quincy, ILJune 16, 2019
It's all right. Some terrible customers every now and then... some BS you have to put up with, but there are good people working at the one in Quincy at least. I suppose it's good for someone, it just wasn't for me.
Good environment to work in
LOGISTICS ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Oroville, CAJune 15, 2019
We had a very unexperienced manager that opened the store with us, that made it slightly difficult, but it was still a great place to work. It was a great environment and everyone was always willing to train you if you asked for more training.
review summary
Cashier/supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 15, 2019
So Harbor freight was one of the best companies i have ever gotten to work with. all the staff and customers were great. and they really worked with you if you ever needed a day off. It was basically like a big family!
Unfriendly place to work
Production Artist (Former Employee) –  Calabasas, CAJune 14, 2019
Politics are high at corporate. If your not in the club you won’t last 2 months. 75% Unfriendly co-workers. Sink or swim attitudes. Nobody has your back especially new hires. Impossible demands to deliver daily assignments based on this company file structure to achieve deadlines.
Pros
It’s a job
Cons
Political unfriendly environment.
Its okay
Logistics (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJune 12, 2019
Its okay..just management...
I learn logistics and scan gun...
Need management bad...
Work place peacfull..
The most enjoyable...is the customers...they made my day..?

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Harbor Freight Tools USA, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.0Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight