Harbor Freight Tools

Harbor Freight Tools Employee Reviews for Cashier

Cashier431 reviews

Found 431 reviews matching the searchSee all 4,433 reviews
freighthfttoolstoretruckwarrantysalecashier

Respectful and understanding work environment.

Great company, management completely respectful and understand work/life balance. Great team leaders associate helping when needed. Sales position good working position for understand the basics of the company.

– September 15, 2022
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We completely agree with you that the people are what makes Harbor Freight a great place to work. We cannot wait to see you shine in Bay Shore, NY!

Fun work place

I loved working there. They always worked with me of I couldn't make it due to things in the nature of childcare. They were very understanding seen as I was a single parent. Of three children under four years old. Very easy going.

– November 10, 2022
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. At Harbor Freight, we value people above all else and are committed to providing our Associates with flexible schedules that offer a work/life balance. We are glad you loved working in Green Bay, WI, and we thank you for your hard work!

Harbor Freight Tools insights

Based on 3,021 survey responses
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager

Unprofessional and rude mamagment

Management was not only disrespectful and rude to employees but to customers as well. If complaints were made to the district manager about store management it was swept under the rug. Not even customer complaints were taken seriously. Would not recommend this place to anybody.

– October 14, 2022
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. Because of valuable feedback like yours, we can Continuously Improve at all levels, including management. We have shared your feedback with the appropriate Associates. We encourage all Associates to contact their HR Business Partners with any concerns. We thank you for your time in Kearney, NE, and wish you the best in your future career.

Need more training

Was great place work really stressful manager don't make job easy but customer make place fun place to work I move to different texas people there need training

– September 12, 2022
We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience in Florida. We have shared your suggestions with the appropriate Associates. We appreciate your hard work and wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Unfortunately I really did like my job but their training and expectations didn’t work

Over all this is a good place to work. The store is clean and some of the managers were really helpful. Their is always that one manager who feels you should be more advanced than you are. Also the training I received wasn’t the best.

Pros

The pay was good.

Cons

Managers are hard to approach

– September 8, 2022
First, we want to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Harbor Freight is committed to Continuous Improvement at all levels, including management and our training practices. We will share your comments with the appropriate associates. Thank you for being so dedicated in Dayville, CT, and we wish you all the best.

Fun workplace, but upper management can be improved

It was a nice atomosphere, working at 4 am at times was a bit difficult but the supervisors were the ones who made it fun. Although you were a cashier you were always trying to sell anything like memberships which could be hard, since most people who would go there weren’t interested and would get mad about being asked to join.

– August 15, 2022
Thank you for sharing your experience and for your hard work while working at Harbor Freight. We are glad to see you enjoyed your time while working at Gilroy, CA, and wish you the best in your career journey!

Horrible

Bad place to work at i hate this place will never never never shop here again. It does have good prices but the employees are rude and very hateful I quit

– August 12, 2022
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Our goal is to build the best workplace to work in, which means listening to our Associates every step, and your feedback helps us do just that. Please know that we are committed to creating a respectful work environment. We encourage all our Associates to speak to their Store Manager or HR Partner to discuss their concerns. We have shared your comments with the appropriate Associates and wish you the best in your career.

What is the best part of working at the company?The pay is greatWhat is the most stressful part about working at the company?Upselling and pushing people to spend more and more money in the store by pushing the protection plans and memberships onto people What is the work environment and culture like at the company?If you don’t know the store in a month even if your part time and only work 12-15 hours a week people/coworkers/managers start to get annoyed if you don’t know where everything is located What is a typical day like for you at the company?Standing at a cash register, upselling, upselling, upselling, more upselling, break, cleaning toilets/bathrooms (the mens bathroom was always filthy), mopping, and front facing the whole store when managers give you enough time.

Low Pay, Harsh Expectations

I worked at a brand new store and so the sales goals were rarely met. Yes everyday we started off with the fact we failed the day before. Woo hoo we are failures now let's start the day off great, no that is no good and very depressing.

Pros

discounted tools

Cons

pay, ridiculous expectations, selling their card

– May 24, 2022
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. At Harbor Freight it is important our Associates feel they are working in a positive work environment where they are given the tools they need to grow and succeed. We highly encourage Associates who have concerns regarding work expectations speak with their management team and relay their feedback.

don’t work here unless your really struggling or desperate for work

They ghosted me I’ve never seen such horrible management never hand any trust for any of them stopped putting me on the schedule for 2 weeks so I called them the immediately hung up when they heard me say who I was. They care to much about gathering name emails sign ups for ITC card or warranty than employees or customers they would just make us hound customers for money and the itc was just a big rip offI was full time but worked 3-4 hours a day 2 days a week ??? And never got any of my benefit I was promised managers disliked me from the beginning and always thought of thought of ways to write me up for not getting enough itc or warranty name/emails/addresses or not being “on script”

Pros

Good pay

Cons

No insurance, no trust in managers, making us hound people to join their membership/warranty

– June 1, 2022
We appreciate you taking the time to share your detailed feedback with us. At Harbor Freight, we encourage Associates who have questions or concerns regarding the standard operating procedures at their store, their hours or benefits speak with their Store Manager. If Associates feel their concerns are not being properly addressed we recommend they reach out to their HR partner. We have shared your feedback with the appropriate Associates.

liked having commission

could be more flexible but overall nothing too bad. Nice that they close pretty early and it's usually slow but when it gets slammed its really stressful

– March 22, 2022
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us! At Harbor Freight, we pride ourselves on being a great place to work with a culture that celebrates collaboration, community, and a work/life balance for all of our associates. We appreciate the time you spent in Crest Hill, IL and we wish you luck in your future career.

Terrible

Terrible unfriendly place to work. No help from managers. Little training. Gossiping about customers. harassment...talk on headphones about each others male body parts(won't let me type actual word) and what they want done to them. Do not recommend working here.

– May 5, 2022
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Harbor Freight is dedicated to creating a work environment where associates feel safe and comfortable. We do not condone this type of behavior and have shared your feedback with our HR Associates. We appreciate the time you spent in Rockwood, TN and we wish you luck on your career journey.

I enjoy working there and will miss it

The hardest part is selling the extra plan. The easiest part is getting along with coworkers and customers. There is often a lot of down time as well. This time is usually used to tidy up the store. Easy work.

– March 4, 2022
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us! We are happy to hear you enjoyed your team and the customers while working with Harbor Freight. We appreciate the time you spent with us and we wish you luck in your future career!

Great pay

Harbor Freight was a great place to work. You had an opportunity to meet many types of people. There was great opportunity for advancement. The pay was pretty good compared to other companies.

– February 22, 2022
Harbor Freight is committed to providing competitive pay for all of our associates. We stay committed to training and promoting internally so our associates have the tools they need to grow and succeed. We thank you for your time in Baton Rouge, LA and we wish you luck in your career endeavors!

I worked with some fun and nice people.

I don’t know where to start… I used to like this place until they start forcing you to sell ESP, ITC and Credit cards. It was so stressful when I don’t get any at all because they counted how many you sell each month. I honestly been wanting to leave since it’s starting to affect my mental health. Most of the people I worked with were pretty awesome though so that’s at least nice.

Pros

Paid vacation

Cons

Clean bathroom and my schedule keep changing.

– January 3, 2022
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. At Harbor Freight, we believe in Excellence in Execution, meaning we get things done by staying focused and sweating the details. We always encourage associates with questions or concerns regarding standard operating procedures speak with their Store Manager. We thank you for your time in Newnan, GA and we wish you the best of luck in your future career!

pretty good place to work

working here through college steady work flow sometimes it has busy spurts but overall customers are patient and kind management is chill and flexible to work with your schedule

– November 15, 2021
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us! We love hearing from our hardworking associates. At Harbor Freight, we believe in creating a work environment that focuses on collaboration, community, and a work/life balance for all of our associates. Thank you for your continued hard work in Indiana and we look forward to watching you grow with us!

Can be fun place to work

Management is very good. They are always striving to make you succeed and trying to get you promoted. Corporate pays their store managers well and they deserve it.

– November 4, 2021
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. At Harbor Freight, we pride ourselves on creating a positive work environment that focuses on collaboration and community. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your team in New Hampshire and we wish you the best of luck in your future career!

Job location, stressful, hostile environment

Typical day harassment learn nothing management gossipers unprofessional. Hostile environment too much overtime nothing enjoyable. Management causes workers to quit

Pros

Location is great Insurance great

Cons

Short Breaks, too much overtime, violation of COVID polices, register comes up short by senior sales associate, management harassment.. Petty cash abuse, . Register short

– October 26, 2021
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. At Harbor Freight, we value people above all else. It is important our associates feel they are a part of a collaborative environment where everyone is treated fairly, reasonably, and with respect. We always encourage associates who have questions or concerns regarding their store team reach out to their HR partner. We have shared your feedback with the appropriate associates. Thank you for your time in Albany, GA and we wish you the best of luck in your future career!

Average

Its a pretty good job starting out, a few tasks that you get the hang of, the work is repetitive but the pay is good and you make friends with everyone you work with.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Repetitive

– October 18, 2021
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us! At Harbor Freight, we are committed to Excellence in Execution. Meaning we get things done by staying focused and sweating the details. We are happy to hear you are enjoying the pay. We recently worked to increase the starting rates in our Retail stores. We always encourage associates with questions about their work load speak with their Store Manager. Thank you for your continued hard work in Amarillo, TX and we look forward to watching you grow with us!

Don't waste your time

With a promise of quality tools at amazing prices, the products are anything but. Depending on location, management definitely needs reworking on what matters. The company as a whole focuses too much on pinning the locations against each other for sales, which leads to management pressuring associates to go beyond the actual job roles in order to make extra sales. Warranties, memberships, credit card applications. They're not a requirement of the job and yet they are constantly looming over you to sell. Scan the tools, assist customers, smile and clock out. If you don't want to deal with tools constantly breaking and sales pitching things people don't need, look elsewhere.

Pros

cashier experience

Cons

terrible management

– October 5, 2021
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. At Harbor Freight, we pride ourselves on creating a collaborative work environment where our associates feel they have the tools they need to grow and succeed. We stay dedicated to Excellence in Execution, meaning we get things done by staying focused and sweating the details. If you have pending questions or concerns regarding your team we recommend you reach out to your HR partner. We will share your feedback with the appropriate associates. Thank you for your continued hard work in Richmond, VA.

Great management and corporate atmosphere

Management team very supportive of work life balance. Light atmosphere, chance for commissions. Generous PTO with eligibility from start date. Loved it!

Pros

Light atmosphere, commissions, generous PTO, even for part time employment

Cons

Can’t think of any

– September 24, 2021
We appreciate you sharing your positive feedback with us! At Harbor Freight, we pride ourselves on being a great place to work with a culture that celebrates collaboration, community, and a work/life balance for all of our associates. We thank you for your time in San Angelo, TX and wish you luck in your career journey!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Harbor Freight Tools. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Harbor Freight Tools.
Powered byComparably

Compare Harbor Freight Tools with

Career recommendations for Cashier

Explore information on salaries, job satisfaction, skills and more
  • Harbor Freight Tools