HARBOR LIGHT HOSPICE Employee Reviews

Harbor Light is a well managed company
Chaplain (Current Employee) –  Crown Point, INApril 14, 2018
A typical day of work would be to start at the office where I would check in with co-workers and management, update on pt deaths and admits, look over my schedule for the day and then begin pt visits.

I have learned to manage my time more efficiently to be more productive. To plan my day well. Also the importance of team work in getting a goal accomplished.

The management team has a great balance of financial stewardship while still putting the patients needs first.

The workplace culture is one of dedication and teamwork that is embodied from the top down.

The hardest part of the job is the passing of those you have grown close to.

The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people and working with a dedicated group of people that care about those they serve.
Pros
Great team of people, flexible to family or personal needs, competitive pay.
Cons
The industry patient and staff turnover
High stress. Poor management from corporate on down
Field Nurse Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ILMarch 24, 2018
COO just bragged to a room full of people that he's fired 1000s, never lost sleep. Staff are nothing, pts are all that matter. Management is lacking.
Pros
Make your own schedule
Cons
No time for lunch, work load changes constantly and requires more than 40 hr/wk on regular basis
Compassionate staff
Hospice field nurse (Current Employee) –  Youngstown, OHFebruary 18, 2018
Local staff are great and supportive of each other. Always available to help. District management is driven by profits. Local management does listen to employees but often they can not help staff in situations per corporate policies.
Pros
Helpful staff
Cons
Corporate polisies
Pleasant place to work
Medical Records Manager (Former Employee) –  Carol Stream, ILFebruary 13, 2018
I was fortunate enough to be hired as Medical records manager at Harbor Light Hospice. My husband was transferred out of state so I did have to resign. Nice people and nice place to work.
Pros
Great employees
Cons
Pay was not the best
Na
Care Manager (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILJanuary 20, 2018
I enjoyed working at Harbor Light Hospice.... I left this position to accept a travel assignment in FL. I would have returned to HL when I moved back to IL but they had no RN openings
Great
Volunteer Hospice Companion (Current Employee) –  Crown Point, INJanuary 17, 2018
I am only a voluteer but it is a great experience and I recommend to anyone looking into a healthcare career or just for something to do. It really influences your life for the better.
Great company which rapidly delined over the past 18 months.
Hospice Nurse (Former Employee) –  Munroe Falls, OH 44262December 12, 2017
This company was great for many years. The people I worked with were the best of the best in care and compassion. Pt. care was exceptional and the reputation was stellar. However, over the past 18 months changes were made to upper management and the new management did not care about the quality in care or reputation of the company and its employees. The company had laid off or lost most of its long term employees and has become just another hospice . Very sad....
Pros
Excellent vacation benefits.
Cons
Unrealistic expectations after so many employee cuts and subpar equipment.
Good Place of Employment
Chaplain (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHDecember 6, 2017
I've worked for HLH for 4 years and it was good experience. It was a positive work environment and the priority is consistently on the patients. Management trusted employees to do their jobs with minimal oversight.
tight working group
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Forsyth, ILDecember 1, 2017
Harbor light is a great place to work but alot of driving. Not enough CNA's per patient load. When giving you patients they don't calculate in the drive time between all the patients.
Pros
Pto
Cons
Driving
Excellent place to work
Community Education Director (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILOctober 25, 2017
Harbor Light Hospice is an excellent place to work. Management is understanding and committed to patient care as well as staff satisfaction. Salary is above average.

Want to know more about HARBOR LIGHT HOSPICE?

Ask a question
Management was constantly changing; It was hard to connect with a manager who was temporary
Registered Nurse - Hospice (Former Employee) –  Glen Ellyn, ILOctober 18, 2017
Hospice can be stressful when a manager does not stay for long. There was also a constant switching of territories so it would be hard to get familiar with one area.
There was a sense of team
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Merrillville, INOctober 18, 2017
I answered multi line phone system. It was a full day of printing documents and making copies, sending out mailers and filing patient documents.
I learned a lot of what the hospice process was for and about.
Management was nice enough.
Working with nurses and the office staff was pleasant
The end of life calls was the hardest part
The most enjoyable part was the feeling of a sense of purpose in the families lives that were affected by the end of life experience.
Pros
Team feeling in the office
Cons
End of life calls
Don't expect to have a personal life if you work at Harbor Light Hospice
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  OhioSeptember 29, 2017
Management is horrible and unrealistic. Constant overtime and on call hours. The company expects this job to be your life. After more than an eight hour day due to high travel during your day you get a call saying "we have an admission for you" which is another 3.5 hours of work time.
Pros
paid time off if they approve it
Cons
Constant OT and horrible wear and tear on your vehicle
great team of health care providers, mgmt team, and support staff
Nurse Technician (Current Employee) –  Mishawaka, INSeptember 25, 2017
a typical day is spent assessing patients, managing pain and symptoms of disease processes that come with end of life care, At Harbor Light Hospice we are allowed to care for people using a holistic approach without the time constraints associated with today's disease focused assembly line care, and the "patient" includes their environment and family, management is supportive,
Pros
autonomy
Cons
none at this time

Comment – September 27, 2017

a con could be the on call shifts, nobody looks forward to them but HLH has to provide 24/7/365 service and as much as you hate to hear your phone go off we got into nursing to help people and they do not only need help 8-4:30 monday through friday

Community Liaison (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 16, 2017
Mirco-management, competitive for all the hospice providers plus they turn over staff left and right that make your relationships hard to maintain and build on.
good place to be
Billing (Former Employee) –  Crown Point, INSeptember 13, 2017
good friends. good coworkers. friendly staff. team atmosphere. overall good place to be. takes a special kind of person to work with hospice patients.
Pros
good team
Cons
need more continuing education and inservices
Great place to do Amazing Work
Weekend On-Call RN (Current Employee) –  Mishawaka, INSeptember 5, 2017
I currently serve as the weekend on-call for a great office, and I love my coworkers, love my work, love my bosses. Weird, I know. I'm out of the day-to-day drama, so that helps! But I never feel left hanging or unsupported on the weekends, either.

Nursing is nursing, and because there are people in need involved, you're going to extend yourself and work hard, or you won't be good at it! My experience with Harbor Light at its best (current managers ROCK) is we try and care for and support one another as an extension of caring for patients and families. Are we perfect? Heck no, but we all love what we do and it shows.

There is no better work than this, and Harbor Light is a company I do it proudly for <3
Pros
Paid mileage, supportive work environment, great reputation in community
Cons
Lots of driving, some in nasty weather, patients don't get better :(
able to work independently
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILAugust 1, 2017
new management rude to employees . overall company ran well and patients well taken care of. great auxillary support from social services, pastoral care and home health aides. maximum support from other field care nurses
Pros
independence
Cons
frequently no lunch without proper reimbursement, extensive travel with poor mileage reimbursement
Hospice
Field Nurse (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 21, 2017
I helped start this company and even suggested an RN as the director. Yet, for some reason it took a turn for the worst. As is with small departments, rumors fly and everyone plays into the drama. Unless it has changed, I would not recommend this place.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Work enviroment
Challenged Management
Registered Nurse Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Tinley Park, ILJuly 5, 2017
Every hospice is a gift and offers different levels of support. This hospice offers enough for the client to walk them through their needs without any frills or advanced supports. The staff is often limited by the shortsightedness and pettiness of the management.
Pros
some good peer comaraderie
Cons
too unpredictive and petty in work environment