Harmons Grocery

• Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Overall satisfaction
  • General feeling of work happiness

I love working at harmons. My co workers and manager are super nice. It’s a great job for people still in high school or college.

Pros Good management Nice co workersGreat payGreat benefits for full time workersConsSometimes you aren’t hired for the position that you originally applied for.They don’t do full time for front end workers.

Good pay. 3 good coworkers.

They like to focus on the negative and they don't reward you for what you're doing right. The managers are difficult to talk to they seem like they don't care. I really wish they would treat their employees right. I wish I worked somewhere else I'm not going to stay for a very long time. I'm only here because they pay decent and you get paid on a weekly basis.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Great food and mediocre service. Management is poor at best.

Management spends a lot of time standing around and talking. This leaves a poor example to the rest of the workers. I understand management has different duties, but their conversations are a bit excessive. Their training program for management consisted of me copying the answers out of the test key instead of doing my own work.

Descent pay, terrible management

Management often puts associates down. Belittles them and singles associates out. Pay is good, but it's not worth the hostile work environment that most management creates.

Pros

Discount, good pay

Cons

Most management is terrible

If your store managers are competent, it's great. If not, well, good luck.

Harmons is a well established family grocer in the state of Utah. When they on board you they go over their benefits package, which is quite good for full time employees. However, if you are classified as part time they will still work you 40+ hours a week and you will not be eligible for benefits. Even going to HR does not fix this problem. Overall the company has declined as the corporate makeup has shifted. If your store director is competent, then you'll do fine. If they aren't, I highly suggest you begin looking for work elsewhere.

Pros

401k, nice coworkers

Cons

short breaks, poor management, inconsistent expectations, favoritism.

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Help people considering your employer make a good choice.

People at the stores are great to work with

The managers at the stores are great to work with, and the culture that has been created is great. But changes over the course of the pandemic have been taken way too far. They are implementing policies that no other workplace is doing which is creating an unethical workplace.

Pros

Employee discounts

Cons

They make up rules as they go along

Basic retail job

Pros: coworkers are friendly. Management is helpful. Great food. Opportunities to transfer to another department. Cons: Low pay and little chance of advancement.

The best

Hands-down one of the best companies to work for. They are super nice to their customers and their employees. I’ve had some medical issues and they were more than happy to help me. It does get a little stressful, but probably one of the best jobs I’ve ever had if not the best. I’d like to return as soon as I can to working there. Refer everyone you know it is the best

Pros

Healthy environment, employee discount, fun stuff

Cons

Very stressful some days, only a small employee discount

Unlivable wages

The pay is ridiculously low and no matter how hard you work, there are no merit raises whatsoever. I know a few people who have been with the company +40 years whose salary is $16 to $19 per hour with a cap of 37.5 hours per week - loyalty means nothing to this company! Harmon’s is a “good old boys club” - there are no women in upper management.

Pros

Health insurance benefits, 401k

Cons

Low pay, no holidays off, schedules are never consistent

Owners are great management was terrible

Not a good company to work for if you have a family or in school they don't care about employees only how to get more money in there pocket and better themselfs

I great company that feels more like a community than a corporation!

I have worked for Harmons for over 8 years and I really do love working there. However, due to being a part-timer, I haven't gotten any benefits except 401k recently and I have not granted more hours due to me joggling this and my other job. I should of tried to work my way to advance to get a fulltime.One of the complaints is that one of my managers does get snappy, especially when things get very busy and is the only person to take the things I did wrong a little more seriously.There are also some not-so-friendly customers who can ruin your day if you let them, which is the nature of Retail and Customer Service, it's something you would expect, however, sometimes your coworkers can come to lift your spirit; helping you get through it and it is pretty awesome!

Pros

Great People, Good Food, warm and welcoming environment, a sense of community

Cons

One angry manager, not getting hours and benefits due to being part-time and joggling two jobs, angry customers

Caring workplace

You get answers from upper management when you need and I always felt supported. However, my opinion is outdated since I haven't worked there in 6 years.

Pros

Employee appreciation lunches, helpful upper management

Could be worse...maybe

They try to make it a good environment but if covid gets bad they aren't afraid to stick you by a door for hours on end till you literally lose your mind with boredom. If you work here get off of front end as fast as possible. They are very inclusive to liberal ideas and the stores are beautiful and the products are good even if they're pricey. The job as a cashier or bagger can be pretty boring and miserable though. I loved my managers but they are usually pretty stressed and raises weren't always on time.

Pros

Good products and employee discount

Cons

Corporate, political pressure, pay

okay workplace, hard to move up

The work was stressful mostly because if you messed up on something even minor the managers were quick to get on you sometimes. I think the coworkers make or break the experience (as with most jobs). There was definitely favoritism/bias amongst the CSMs and some workers. If you are trying to get a certain position or help with anything you had TO WORK FOR IT. Especially in the way that you have to constantly remind/ask for what you need.

Productive and Positive Easy Going environment

a great place to work, decent and flexible pay, multiple transferring options, (i.e. department or location) amazing environments, great leaders. overall a great place to work at any age range.

Pros

Benefits, Positive and strong management

Cons

Expensive Products

Good people to work with

It’s hard, fast paced work but your shift goes by quickly. I worked for the online shopping. We needed 3 people on a shift but there were only 2 and a lot of the tiny only yourself and that was extremely frustrating

Pros

Fairly flexible schedule

Cons

Not enough employees in E-Shop

I love the people I work with

Training could have been much better. I am always finding there is something I wasn't trained on and have to ask the people above me. Understaffed and they do not seem to care.

Mostly equal treatment and easy work

The work at harmons is really easy and seldom complicated. There is some things that can be complicated but overall it is very easy. The management is alright. There are things that I disagree with but aren’t there always?

Pros

Mostly flexible hours. Great pay. Good benefits. Friendly workers

Cons

Strict dress code. Stiff work environment

Bad pay and inconsistent management

Several department managers were just plain rude or bad. Some where good. Pay was bad. When I was ready to quit, they begged me to stay without any actual attempt to keep me there. I went to a job that payed more.The department (meat) was easy but could be mind numbingly slow. The store I worked at had extremely high turn over and very bad staffing issues. If you want to work here, try not to work the check stands. Everyone hated it there. Every other department was hit or miss. They raised pay after I left to be a bit higher but not very competitive still.

Pros

Flexible schedule, not very stressful, can have some really good managers, good breaks

Cons

Could have bad managers, staffing was always an issue, pay ins't competitive

Pharmacy World

The retail world of pharmaceuticals is always stressful, but the culture can really affect it. Depending on who you work with, it can be tough. Be prepared for scrutiny from your superiors. It's not uncommon for people to openly talk bad about you or others when they aren't around. The compounding world is very different, though :)

Pros

Great benefits

Cons

Stressful work environment

Not bad for a grocery store. But..

Still the same old problems. Bad management, bad benefits (maybe a week at most of pto a year, and you don't even get it until you've been there for a year), decent pay, but still not even close to livable unless you're a store manager or in the meat department. But don't worry, they recently raised their minimum to $10 an hour. Woo-hoo. 🙄

Pros

Generally pretty hard to lose your job, Sometimes decent co workers, And pay is a little better than other retail jobs.

Cons

Still bad wages, Poor policies for management and for choosing who to promote, Nepitism is a thing

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Harmons Grocery. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Harmons Grocery with