Harmony Senior Services Employee Reviews

Good Place!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NCOctober 11, 2018
Great residents and people. It's always a pleasure to arrive and be greeted by one of our residents and see how much they appreciate you. I have been there 2 years and have gathered invaluable tools that have become applicable to any area of employment I choose to go.
Pros
great enviroment
Bullying
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 9, 2018
I was bullied and treated horrible by the activity director and upper management at the Bon Air location.Beware it’s a assisted living facility that can’t keep staff their horrible people run far away from this place
Pros
Horrible Management
Cons
Residents
Stressful and micro managed
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VASeptember 9, 2018
Most of the people who work there are great. Management is stressed from the orporate staff and in turn has negative effects in the rest of the staff.
Pros
Clean nice building
Cons
Micro managed
Stay Away!
Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCSeptember 4, 2018
Extremely stressful job. Upper management has no clue. Very Long Hours. Residents are extremely demanding - most are impossible to please. And corporate has NO interest in the workers - just how much $money$ can be made. Culture is cut throat. Hardest part of the job was finding a work/life balance. Received NO training to do my job. This is by far the worst IL/AL community I've ever worked in.
Pros
Decent co-workers
Cons
Poor management; no training; horrible environment; hateful residents
Run
Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Chantilly, VASeptember 1, 2018
Harmony senior services is the worst senior living company to work for. The executive leadership team is horrible! I watched them fire an ED after harassing her for months.
Cons
Hateful leaders
Don't fall for this job
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  VirginiaAugust 30, 2018
They have no desire to work with people. They would rather fire someone than coach them. It was stressful. They don't believe in work/life balance and treat people horribly.
RUN AWAY! Poor Regional and Corporate Management
Department Director (Former Employee) –  VirginiaAugust 22, 2018
Harmony Senior Services is controlled and micro managed by very out of touch Regional and Corporate Management. Who profess to be all about People, Profit, and Product and in that order. But they are SO only about PROFIT, PROFIT, PROFIT. You are told there is transparency and an open door policy, but in reality you have Smiling Regional Directors and Corporate Heads in public and in front of Residents of the Community. But, many times out of the view of the Residents and the Public they are cut throat, untruthful, calculating, secretive, and focused on the bottom line and labor budgets. Not the Residents. I say again, the focus is on PROFIT, not the true loving comfort of the Residents in the community. Please note I am describing Regional Directors, not a facilities Executive Director (Administrator/General Manager), or any Department Directors (Nursing / Activities / Dining / Business / Maintenance) but excluding Sales and Marketing, specifically those above them in management, above the facility management structure. I was forced under Regional Director pressure to choose profit measures over providing the product of service and quality that was sold to and expected by our Residents. The sales department routinely is misleading and makes claims about the community that are simply not true. It's a big smoke screen for prospects and you are expected to toe the line when encountering prospects on the Sales departments tours. Inquiries, ideas, and concerns by Residents are regularly dismissed as "routine", "laughable", or "just rambling residents" by Regional Management. This  more... is a very unstable work environment. The turnover rate at ALL Department Director Level positions is very high. DO NOT WORK HERE FOLKS! You will regret it. Or ignore what I'm saying and experience it for yourself. I was a very effective Department Director with great measurable results and can tell you first hand this is all very true. Its an environment of NOT "What have you done...BUT...What have you done for me lately?" I miss the Residents and fellow staff, but I do not miss the Pressure and Micromanagement of the Regional Director and Corporate Management. Stay away from Harmony Senior Services, they are not a good place to work. And for the record, especially to those at Harmony's Corporate who will do "that thing" they do and bad mouth this review as "routine", "laughable", or "just rambling ex-employees" like they do to Resident criticism, I resigned with acceptable notice in good standing. I just could no longer take part in the toxic deception anymore. Good luck fellow Senior Living Professionals. Please take this review as a first hand opinion of what it is really like.  less
Pros
The people you work with experiencing the same stress along with you.
Cons
Micro Management from Regional Managers, Corporate Managers Conducting Surveillance on your Department, A very closed door policy with regards to asking questions, those who do speak up are fired relatively quickly.
Caring Team members with fun on the side
Memory Care Program Director (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 18, 2018
Enjoy managing the memory care community, love my residents and team members, learned patience and compassion, meet the residents where they are and have fun!
Pros
Great team members
Cons
Need more great team members
Laid back great work enviroment
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NCAugust 16, 2018
This is an amazing place to work, management could use some pointers on how to manage staff and not pick "favorites" however it was a great experience
Consistently short-staffed
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJuly 24, 2018
I've been working short-staffed since I accepted the position in 2017. This, and many more reasons is why I chose to leave. The pay for RMA's is better than most facilities in the valley but if you accept the position, you'll learn why in the first eight hours that you're there. The pay for CNA's is miserable. I might add that if you have experience, it doesn't matter. Everyone starts off at the same rate depending on your position and that's where it stays. Good luck in getting an evaluation, raise or an advancement opportunity. The management will do absolutely nothing for you. You can literally talk to them until you're blue in the face and nothing gets resolved. Families of loved ones are always complaining about the lack of staff and the poor patient care that they receive. You can't be everywhere and do everything when it's just you and maybe one other employee on the floor. I've never seen such a disorganized mess and I feel sorry for anyone having to endure it. Stay away from this facility if you care about the residents. Stay away from this facility if you're looking for a home for your loved ones.
Pros
Residents and co-workers
Cons
Lack of staff, poor management and no room for advancement.
Easiest job you will ever have.
Lpn (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAJuly 5, 2018
The RMAs hate LPNs being there and do everything they can to show that. Horrible, out of touch management. Trying very hard to run a very upscale assisted living like a skilled nursing home. I had heard bad things about this place, but I didn’t believe any of it. My first couple of weeks there were awesome. Then everything I had heard about this place started happening. Run. Do not work here. It’s a good place to get set up to have to go thru a state investigation or worse. Now I know why an assisted living is paying an Lpn 22.50 an hour.
No 401k
Medical technician as well (Current Employee) –  Chester, VAJuly 3, 2018
It’s not a job you can keep and retire from. Working here is very difficult because of upper management making drastic changes without meeting with the employees to inform them a change is about to come.
I like it!
Server (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NCMay 25, 2018
Working in the kitchen - management is really understanding and wants us to have life/work balance. Paid pretty well. Working with residents can be tough at times, but that's understandable. Really enjoy working with the team we have.
Pros
Free meals; understanding manager
Cons
On my feet
Productive and low pressure place to work.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAMay 22, 2018
The management is wonderful. I really enjoy coming to work every day. Best position i've had in at least 8 years.Only complaint, licensed as an assisted living administrator but haven't been called in for interview for new position opening up.
Fun..friendly an family oriented
C.n.a (private duty) (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAApril 29, 2018
They pride on treating the staff like family...employees are included in all activities..they provided employee an family includes programs..love pets
Pros
Has great benefits
Cons
Have to pay for lunches
Poor Management, Great Residents
Med Tech/CNA (Former Employee) –  Bon Air, VAApril 4, 2018
People don't leave jobs, they leave bad bosses/management. The salary is already incredibly low and raises are 29 cents, not even $1 increases after being there for over 5 years.

Found another position at another ALF that pays $4 more per hour, tuition reimbursement, 401k, health insurance, PTO, and flexible scheduling. Has excellent staff to patient ratios and management is fair and keep staff informed of policies. Director of Nursing and other staff are in the trenches together during coverage shortage or inclement weather.
Pros
Residents
Cons
Poor management, inadequate staffing, poor infection control policies
Fun place to work
Bartender/Buser (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAApril 2, 2018
Its a fun place to work. The only problem I have is the managers. But if you have children the company will work with you. Also, the residence are lovely elderly people.
Stressful
Registered Medication Aide (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAMarch 29, 2018
Love the residents! Management is bad unorganized and does not care nor appriciate their staff. I’ve never worked a place where management doesn’t have your back, they more so would rather save their own behind than to stick up for their staff who work their butts off to care for the residents.
Pros
The sweet residents are the only pro
Cons
Poor management
Stay away!!
Dining Manager (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAMarch 24, 2018
Horrible place to work at,no matter how hard you try,higher ups will still make you feel like you are not good enough.
They blame you for everything that goes wrong and take all the credit for the great things you do.
They say all they care about are the residents but that’s all Lies..the only care about how they look themselves.
Pros
Cons
Poor coordination from management
Positive environment where residents come first!
Server (Current Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PAMarch 17, 2018
I work here and it's unfortunate disgruntled employees would try to trash us knowing everyone's focus is on resident care. We have two of the most meticulous cooks in our kitchen and SANITATION is always #1, this has NEVER been an issue! I truly love our residents and if I ever saw unsanitary conditions I could never work there. I eat out of that kitchen at least 4 times a week and am very particular where I eat. I've never hear of any issue in the kitchen besides staff. I've never worked at a place where they genuinely cared about the residents and would go above and beyond for them. If I no longer worked there, I could never be so hateful to take the time out of my day to leave a angry comment about my former employer, especially untrue. What about the residents? That shows more about you than the company and I can't imagine how they'd be as an employee...

If you truly love working with the elderly, are positive and like to work, this is the place for you! I'm still new but I love my job and they are hiring!!
Pros
Positive environment, genuine, fun, great residents and food
Cons
Just opened

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Harmony Senior Services. Our community is ready to answer.