Harmony Senior Services Employee Reviews

This company is an abomination!!
You’ll Never know (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJanuary 10, 2019
This is a true bottom line company. Census driven to such an extreme that Causes a hostile work environment .The residents and employees mean nothing to them. In the short time that I Have been employed with The Crossings the turnover rate as been astronomical. Two CEOs in two years have resigned. Theres a 0% retention rate ranging from Upper leader ship, Regionals, Directors and line staff. This is absolutely not a customer centric company. Families before you move mom and Dad think long about it. Residents fees go up and budgets get cut. No 401k plan Seriously, What kind of retirement community would not offer a 401(k) plan to their employees. Salaried positions are taken advantage of and used and abused working tons of hours.The EEOC!! needs to investigate this company as well as OSHA !!
I can go on and on about the terror of working for this this company. You will be committing career suicide taking a job with this company and when you’re done you’re not going to want to use it they reference on your resume. In the senior living community the Crossings and Harmony senior service are the butts of every joke. Stay away
Pros
Scratching head....
Cons
Name it
Started great then crashed and burned
LPN Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJanuary 7, 2019
Corporate honestly doesn’t care you are just another number while they have their parties and private jets the workers don’t even get a 401 k or a thank you for all you do. Moral sucks turn over is high which means you are always short staffed. No shift differential no perks no nothing just work, shut up, and go home. If you are looking for a job you found it but if you are looking for a place to learn and advance keep it moving.
Pros
Always overtime
Cons
Broke down and burnt out
good workplace , management could be better
Concierge (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VA 23453January 6, 2019
great work place, the residents are loving and caring, management could be a lot better, co workers are great, we are like a family , pay is alright depends on your position
Would not recommend
Sales Director (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJanuary 3, 2019
Very disappointing. Position and company sounded exciting with lots of potential. However, definitely not the case. Constant turnover in management teams at all levels - corporate, regional and local; no consistency in direction between corporate and regional to local teams. Sales environment is cut-throat - teamwork is not encouraged. Very long hours, tons of reporting and conference calls. Weekly analysis reports and expectations created by analysts who have never worked in the field or community environment. Definitely would not recommend working for Harmony or its communities.
Pros
Residents
Cons
Culture and work environment
Nice place, horrible management.
Nursing department (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VADecember 20, 2018
The turnover rate is very high. A big part of that is management. They don’t listen to your opinions or want to hear anything you have to say. So the open door policy means nothing.
The sales people tell new residents and their families things that aren’t true. Then when they move in and things are different the families get upset, which they should be.
I was hoping things would get better because it’s still fairly new. They are very disorganized and don’t want any suggestions on what you think would make things better. It’s too bad because I think it could be a good place to work.
Pros
The residents and family
Run
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NC 28804December 12, 2018
Would NOT recommend anyone to come and pursue a career at this establishment. Management does not care about staff work load is more than that of an assisted living establishment
Nice Job...Caring Staff
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Current Employee) –  Morgantown, WVDecember 10, 2018
So far I am really enjoying my time here. I work at the Morgantown, WV location. The staff is great. Management is very caring and accomodating. You are not pushed to the side and treated bad here. Management treats you like family. They are very professional and treat you fairly. I could not ask for a better place of employment.
Pros
Close to home, good training for my position, good pay and great staff.
Cons
No smoking facility.
Good Place!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NCOctober 11, 2018
Great residents and people. It's always a pleasure to arrive and be greeted by one of our residents and see how much they appreciate you. I have been there 2 years and have gathered invaluable tools that have become applicable to any area of employment I choose to go.
Pros
great enviroment
Bullying
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 9, 2018
I was bullied and treated horrible by the activity director and upper management at the Bon Air location.Beware it’s a assisted living facility that can’t keep staff their horrible people run far away from this place
Pros
Horrible Management
Cons
Residents
Stressful and micro managed
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VASeptember 9, 2018
Most of the people who work there are great. Management is stressed from the orporate staff and in turn has negative effects in the rest of the staff.
Pros
Clean nice building
Cons
Micro managed
Stay Away!
Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCSeptember 4, 2018
Extremely stressful job. Upper management has no clue. Very Long Hours. Residents are extremely demanding - most are impossible to please. And corporate has NO interest in the workers - just how much $money$ can be made. Culture is cut throat. Hardest part of the job was finding a work/life balance. Received NO training to do my job. This is by far the worst IL/AL community I've ever worked in.
Pros
Decent co-workers
Cons
Poor management; no training; horrible environment; hateful residents
Run
Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Chantilly, VASeptember 1, 2018
Harmony senior services is the worst senior living company to work for. The executive leadership team is horrible! I watched them fire an ED after harassing her for months.
Cons
Hateful leaders
Don't fall for this job
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  VirginiaAugust 30, 2018
They have no desire to work with people. They would rather fire someone than coach them. It was stressful. They don't believe in work/life balance and treat people horribly.
RUN AWAY! Poor Regional and Corporate Management
Department Director (Former Employee) –  VirginiaAugust 22, 2018
Harmony Senior Services is controlled and micro managed by very out of touch Regional and Corporate Management. Who profess to be all about People, Profit, and Product and in that order. But they are SO only about PROFIT, PROFIT, PROFIT. You are told there is transparency and an open door policy, but in reality you have Smiling Regional Directors and Corporate Heads in public and in front of Residents of the Community. But, many times out of the view of the Residents and the Public they are cut throat, untruthful, calculating, secretive, and focused on the bottom line and labor budgets. Not the Residents. I say again, the focus is on PROFIT, not the true loving comfort of the Residents in the community. Please note I am describing Regional Directors, not a facilities Executive Director (Administrator/General Manager), or any Department Directors (Nursing / Activities / Dining / Business / Maintenance) but excluding Sales and Marketing, specifically those above them in management, above the facility management structure. I was forced under Regional Director pressure to choose profit measures over providing the product of service and quality that was sold to and expected by our Residents. The sales department routinely is misleading and makes claims about the community that are simply not true. It's a big smoke screen for prospects and you are expected to toe the line when encountering prospects on the Sales departments tours. Inquiries, ideas, and concerns by Residents are regularly dismissed as "routine", "laughable", or "just rambling residents" by Regional Management. This  more... is a very unstable work environment. The turnover rate at ALL Department Director Level positions is very high. DO NOT WORK HERE FOLKS! You will regret it. Or ignore what I'm saying and experience it for yourself. I was a very effective Department Director with great measurable results and can tell you first hand this is all very true. Its an environment of NOT "What have you done...BUT...What have you done for me lately?" I miss the Residents and fellow staff, but I do not miss the Pressure and Micromanagement of the Regional Director and Corporate Management. Stay away from Harmony Senior Services, they are not a good place to work. And for the record, especially to those at Harmony's Corporate who will do "that thing" they do and bad mouth this review as "routine", "laughable", or "just rambling ex-employees" like they do to Resident criticism, I resigned with acceptable notice in good standing. I just could no longer take part in the toxic deception anymore. Good luck fellow Senior Living Professionals. Please take this review as a first hand opinion of what it is really like.  less
Pros
The people you work with experiencing the same stress along with you.
Cons
Micro Management from Regional Managers, Corporate Managers Conducting Surveillance on your Department, A very closed door policy with regards to asking questions, those who do speak up are fired relatively quickly.
Caring Team members with fun on the side
Memory Care Program Director (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 18, 2018
Enjoy managing the memory care community, love my residents and team members, learned patience and compassion, meet the residents where they are and have fun!
Pros
Great team members
Cons
Need more great team members
Laid back great work enviroment
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NCAugust 16, 2018
This is an amazing place to work, management could use some pointers on how to manage staff and not pick "favorites" however it was a great experience
Consistently short-staffed
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJuly 24, 2018
I've been working short-staffed since I accepted the position in 2017. This, and many more reasons is why I chose to leave. The pay for RMA's is better than most facilities in the valley but if you accept the position, you'll learn why in the first eight hours that you're there. The pay for CNA's is miserable. I might add that if you have experience, it doesn't matter. Everyone starts off at the same rate depending on your position and that's where it stays. Good luck in getting an evaluation, raise or an advancement opportunity. The management will do absolutely nothing for you. You can literally talk to them until you're blue in the face and nothing gets resolved. Families of loved ones are always complaining about the lack of staff and the poor patient care that they receive. You can't be everywhere and do everything when it's just you and maybe one other employee on the floor. I've never seen such a disorganized mess and I feel sorry for anyone having to endure it. Stay away from this facility if you care about the residents. Stay away from this facility if you're looking for a home for your loved ones.
Pros
Residents and co-workers
Cons
Lack of staff, poor management and no room for advancement.
Easiest job you will ever have.
Lpn (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAJuly 5, 2018
The RMAs hate LPNs being there and do everything they can to show that. Horrible, out of touch management. Trying very hard to run a very upscale assisted living like a skilled nursing home. I had heard bad things about this place, but I didn’t believe any of it. My first couple of weeks there were awesome. Then everything I had heard about this place started happening. Run. Do not work here. It’s a good place to get set up to have to go thru a state investigation or worse. Now I know why an assisted living is paying an Lpn 22.50 an hour.
No 401k
Medical technician as well (Current Employee) –  Chester, VAJuly 3, 2018
It’s not a job you can keep and retire from. Working here is very difficult because of upper management making drastic changes without meeting with the employees to inform them a change is about to come.
I like it!
Server (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NCMay 25, 2018
Working in the kitchen - management is really understanding and wants us to have life/work balance. Paid pretty well. Working with residents can be tough at times, but that's understandable. Really enjoy working with the team we have.
Pros
Free meals; understanding manager
Cons
On my feet

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Harmony Senior Services. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9