Harper College Employee Reviews

very flexible hours
One Stop Information Desk Student Aide (Former Employee) –  Palatine, ILJanuary 17, 2019
timings were very flexible and the brain is great. if you want to job go in and speak to him. There is new management that may have ruined the entire system of how the front desk functions. Avoid the new manager at all costs.
Unprofessional
Student Aide (Former Employee) –  Palatine, ILDecember 4, 2018
In my department, work was slow paced and often there was no instruction on what to do when left alone. Hours were low, pay was low, and I was expected to know everything with no actual training.
terrible work-life balance
administrator (Former Employee) –  Palatine, ILNovember 2, 2018
This institution pays very well, but expects much more than full-time effort from its employees. There is talk of "employee wellness," but there is no actual espousal of this concept. Work is assigned beyond one's job description, and the culture requires one to "work until the work gets done." Further, the institution is understaffed, and upper-administration wants to win more awards -- and make new programs and services -- without any concept or realization of how "ground level" staff (the "doers") can handle any more work. Ivory tower administration at its finest.
Fun and easy place to work
STUDENT AIDE (Current Employee) –  Palatine, ILOctober 2, 2018
The other student aides are all so helpful and friendly, they all support each other and it really is a wonderful place to work because of them. Helping people is a reward in and of itself but making friends in the process is a really nice bonus.
Benefits vs Management
Student Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Palatine, ILSeptember 4, 2018
The benefits are great and one of the reasons I have stayed so long but poor management is making it hard to stay. Playing favorites, refusing to grant time off, changing schedules, being difficult overall.
Part Time CE Instructor
College Instructor (Former Employee) –  Palatine, ILAugust 24, 2018
I was hired to instruct a unique CE class which our year one offering had a great turn out. From there it dwindled to minimal interest and i was offered to teach different introductory photo classes.
I wasn't overly fond of teaching that class since I personally had lost interest in the field along time ago but it is hard to say NO to the manager of the CE Dept since he is such a great human-being.
Pros
easy work
Cons
low enrollment sometimes meant no classes to teach
Excellent educational institution
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Palatine, ILJuly 17, 2018
Harper College is one of the best community college in the nation. The students, staff, laboratory equipment, and other educational resources make this school a top notch school.
Pros
Faculty, Facility and Laboratory Equipment
Great Place to Work
Coordinator, Music and Art (Current Employee) –  Cook County, ILJuly 8, 2018
Harper is a great place to work. The staff is supportive and the atmosphere is relaxed. There are plenty of opportunities to learn something new every day.
3rd shift
3rd Shift Custodial Foreman (Current Employee) –  Palatine, ILJuly 3, 2018
Working 3rd shift was difficult for me to adjust to; I ended up leaving because of it. Management was ok. My coworkers were apathetic at best, lacking any critical thought to improve operations.
Pros
Pay
Cons
working nights
Great School
Spanish Club President (Current Employee) –  Palatine, ILJune 21, 2018
Absolutely a great work place . You will not regret working here, even if is part time or full time. It’s completely worth it and the people here are just wonderful.
Part time job work only one day a week and 2 hours per day
Instructor Chinese Cooking Class (Former Employee) –  Palatime. IllinoisJune 12, 2018
I worked as a Chinese cooking instructor teaching the class only once a week. It was a pleasure to teach Chinese cooking ingredients, equipment, custom and culture of Chines dining. Students enjoyed the classes and I had a good time. Only problem is we do not have enough students and therefore not enough classes to give me a livable income.
Pros
Interesting experience teaching Chines cooking classes.
Cons
Not enough hours and compensation.
Was Nice - Poor Management Skills
Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Palatine, ILMay 30, 2018
Was let go mid-shift. No explanation given, as I was a contractor.

Was escorted off campus by police, even though I didn't do anything.

Manager did nothing but release me, have me turn in my badge, clean out my area and leave. If they had at least said "we can't afford you" or "we would rather have a part timer", I wouldnt have been as freaked as I was.
Pros
Friendly staff, subway, Starbucks and cafeteria accessable. Vending machines scattered throughout campus.
Cons
A ton of variable rules and poor documentation. Very hard to find your "groove"
Productive and fun
IT Manager (Current Employee) –  Palatine, ILMay 24, 2018
Most people are there because they believe in higher education and want to help students improve their lives. It's a nice atmosphere and fulfilling work.
Cons
Many holidays
Great place to work; could use more benefits.
Biology Instructor (Current Employee) –  Palatine, ILApril 26, 2018
I love my coworkers and my students. I love the atmosphere at Harper College and enjoy the respect and confidence my superiors have in me. I would just like to be hired full-time by this company, have a consistent work load, and increased benefits.
Great place to work with great people
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Palatine, ILApril 19, 2018
This was a great and supportive environment. I learned so much from this job and really loved working with the students. The managers were fantastic, and the school was great.
fun workplace.
Accounting Tutor (Former Employee) –  Palatine, ILApril 15, 2018
Worked with students and instructors to help students get better understanding at the material
Carried review sessions during finals.
Worked with multiple students at a time.
Very friendly and cooperative environment.
Cons
no benefits.
fun place to work
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Palatine, ILMarch 22, 2018
Management at Harper College is great. it is always fun to work at Harper. The staff is friendly and understanding. you always look forward everyday going to work.
Starter job that's flexible with your school schedule but poor management
Student Aide in Math and Science (Former Employee) –  Palatine, ILMarch 11, 2018
Starter job that worked well with my school schedule at the time. I was able to do homework most days, as work in the office was minimal. Not much to do since the Operations Manager came in and ruined the atmosphere in the division office. She's not qualified to be a manager, in my humble opinion, considering she was hired based on favoritism (came over from HR and besties with the Dean) and not on skills.
Pros
Worked well with my school schedule and could do homework during work hours.
Cons
Unfair treatment, favoritism, poor management
Easy going
Janitor (Current Employee) –  Palatine, ILFebruary 15, 2018
As long as you got all your work down in the time frame that you have, it is a nice easy going job that requires no hard to do tasks. Workers are nice
Love the people, not the pay
Liberal Arts Student Aide (Current Employee) –  Palatine, ILFebruary 6, 2018
Working as a student aide really helped me get out of my shell and I truly enjoy everyone I work with and I believe that I have made some great friends. Management has changed a lot recently and it's not as personable and organized as it used to be.
Pros
Great work environment, friendly coworkers
Cons
Low salary, unorganized management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Harper College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Ratings from women

3.8InHerSight Score

3.8Personal Development

4.0Career Opportunities

3.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight